RFD Cycling Thread [OFFICIAL]

• Last Updated:
  • Jun 20th, 2018 11:31 pm
Mar 29, 2007
146 posts
15 upvotes
brickpreviews wrote:
Jun 12th, 2018 10:34 pm
Where do you guys get cheap jerseys from? I live in Ottawa and have access to sporting life, mec, bushtakah and other smaller independent stores but prices are fairly high.
Mainly get things on sale. If your patient even the good stuff can be had for like 50% off. Pony up for good shorts/bib shorts. You can get away with cheaping out on the jerseys. Probikekit has decent deals and their house brand looks decent. Wiggles house brand DHB I also hear is decent stuff.
Deal Guru
Mar 6, 2003
11081 posts
1986 upvotes
Ottawa
1xTiMeR wrote:
Jun 12th, 2018 8:30 pm
Despite having a carbon frame, it was heavier than my allez sport which I think is 19lb
I doubt that your Allez Sport was anywhere near 19lbs unless you replaced it with high end parts and wheels. Most entry level aluminum bikes are around 21 lbs in a medium size with stock parts.

A Cannondale like the CAAD12 and the Trek Emonda ALR with higher end parts will hit 17-18 lbs

The only thing about endurance bikes is that they do have a more upright position which naturally has more drag....aero is the number one thing that will improve your speed, weight is quite secondary even on hills. I flipped my stem upside down on my bike raising my position about 3 inches and the bike felt slower right off the bat.

Racy geometry gives you a more aggressive handling and a less comfortable ride, and "feels" faster, although it's unlikely that it makes any difference in real world riding (i.e. not racing).
But it sounds like that's the right type of bike for you.....enjoy it!
Honey, I can't go to bed yet. Somebody is wrong on the Internet!
Feb 18, 2017
5 posts
Hi looking for advice here, fit 1,77m, took a few bike rides with bixi in Montreal and liked the experience. Looking to do more with longer strolls in the city on bike roads, some seldom woods very light trails, perhaps start commuting 11km to downtown area.
As you can see very amateur and have no idea what to buy.

From research I think I want a hybrid fitness budget but good type of bike like a real rfder. Considering most bike websites recommend different models and not all models are available here. Some budget sites recommend Diamondback trace st or insight or Vilano, others like wirecutter recommends the Marin Fairfax SC1, there’s also rfders who recommends Giant Escape (3?), Norco, Trek FX (3?)models in that 400-600$ price range. Pretty lost as to what to buy and where in Montreal. Any help greatly appreciated!

Also r1lee what kind of discount can you get for that type and where are you shops located? I sometimes head to Ottawa as well. Not sure if worth the distance and bringing back in car, don’t have a bike rack yet
Deal Guru
Mar 6, 2003
11081 posts
1986 upvotes
Ottawa
Chinco wrote:
Jun 18th, 2018 10:33 pm
Pretty lost as to what to buy and where in Montreal. Any help greatly appreciated!

Also r1lee what kind of discount can you get for that type and where are you shops located? I sometimes head to Ottawa as well. Not sure if worth the distance and bringing back in car, don’t have a bike rack yet
well, you are on the right track....a basic fitness hybrid will suit your needs. Just go a test drive a couple, you already have some starting points. Trek, Giant, Norco, Devinci, Specialized are easy to find in any big city and they all make competent bikes.

Riding on trails requires a bike that has dirt capable tires and sometimes front shocks (which adds to the cost), so focus on getting a bike that works best on bike paths, and roads if you are intending to commute on it. I don't normally tell people to get a "dual sport" type of hybrid because they don't work well on dirt paths or roads (too compromised for each).

Some of the sites that make recommendations are not going to be useful because some of those brands (Diamondbike etc), might be more readily available in the US. I wouldn't go way out of the way to find a specific model that's not available locally.

r1lee can get you a good deal in Toronto, not Ottawa. There aren't really any good deals here in Ottawa that you probably couldn't duplicate in Montreal. And you're better off having support of a local dealer for tuneups and free adjustments.
Feb 18, 2017
5 posts
warpdrive wrote:
Jun 18th, 2018 10:57 pm
well, you are on the right track....a basic fitness hybrid will suit your needs. Just go a test drive a couple, you already have some starting points. Trek, Giant, Norco, Devinci, Specialized are easy to find in any big city and they all make competent bikes.

Riding on trails requires a bike that has dirt capable tires and sometimes front shocks (which adds to the cost), so focus on getting a bike that works best on bike paths, and roads if you are intending to commute on it. I don't normally tell people to get a "dual sport" type of hybrid because they don't work well on dirt paths or roads (too compromised for each).
I’ll follow your advice and forego the light trails as my intention was 90% roads and not even sure if it’ll ever go on a trail actually. Was thinking of parks with bike paths.

If you had to narrow down to 2-3, what would you suggest for that need and budget? And how would you score a deal at a great bike shop here, like all of you I’m still very conscious about money, not poor but not rich either
Jun 18, 2018
1 posts
Hi all,

I'm in a similar boat looking for a hybrid bike. Deciding between the Diamondback Insight 2 from Amazon, or the Giant Escape 1/2 from a bike store. Can r1lee still get good deals on Giants?
Jun 18, 2018
4 posts
So my story, wifey started cycling. Didn't wanna join. Then decided to start spinning in secret to enjoy an(other) physical activity with her come spring 2017. Tore my achilles may 2017.

Just picked it back up this spring, bought a hybrid bike at thebikezone to see if i'll like it, so went reaaaaalll cheap with a Legacy Compass. Started commuting to work a few days / wekk (25km each way) so i've started losing weight which is great as it was one of the desired outcomes of this whole venture.

Now i'm looking at the horizon and i know i wanna keep riding and ideally commute daily to work on the bicycle. So i'm already thinking of keeping the current bike as a family/leisurely ride next year for me + kids but in the meanwhile i'd be upgrading my bike to a "Road Endurance" one to shave off some minutes off my commute since i'll have the fitness figured out next year and i plan on doing some charity rides and give triathlons a try as well.

Now first thing, holy crap these things are expensive! But i've narrowed it down to the following list further below and the following critiera:
- I don't wanna spend more than $1.8k and hopefully can find a bike with
- a full 105 shimano groupset, tiagra would work as well (heck my current components are the bottom of the barrel for shimano)
- disc or rim brake, don't really matter to me

Where/when would you guys look to find these bikes heavily discounted? I live in Mississauga so i'm accustomed to Gears and the Bike Zone. I've also heard of Via Ciclante and Van de Velo as well...or should i just look out (and impatiently wait) for the show next spring?

Prelim targeted bike list:

Specialized Roubaix Sport
Giant Defy Advanced 3
Giant Contend SL1
Cannondale Synapse alloy
Canyon Endurace AL
Cube Attain

other suggestions for bikes are welcome, but these seem to be some of the ones that i might be able to score around my price point
Deal Fanatic
Oct 5, 2008
9987 posts
2454 upvotes
Toronto
zephillou wrote:
Jun 19th, 2018 12:39 pm
So my story, wifey started cycling. Didn't wanna join. Then decided to start spinning in secret to enjoy an(other) physical activity with her come spring 2017. Tore my achilles may 2017.

Just picked it back up this spring, bought a hybrid bike at thebikezone to see if i'll like it, so went reaaaaalll cheap with a Legacy Compass. Started commuting to work a few days / wekk (25km each way) so i've started losing weight which is great as it was one of the desired outcomes of this whole venture.

Now i'm looking at the horizon and i know i wanna keep riding and ideally commute daily to work on the bicycle. So i'm already thinking of keeping the current bike as a family/leisurely ride next year for me + kids but in the meanwhile i'd be upgrading my bike to a "Road Endurance" one to shave off some minutes off my commute since i'll have the fitness figured out next year and i plan on doing some charity rides and give triathlons a try as well.

Now first thing, holy crap these things are expensive! But i've narrowed it down to the following list further below and the following critiera:
- I don't wanna spend more than $1.8k and hopefully can find a bike with
- a full 105 shimano groupset, tiagra would work as well (heck my current components are the bottom of the barrel for shimano)
- disc or rim brake, don't really matter to me

Where/when would you guys look to find these bikes heavily discounted? I live in Mississauga so i'm accustomed to Gears and the Bike Zone. I've also heard of Via Ciclante and Van de Velo as well...or should i just look out (and impatiently wait) for the show next spring?

Giant Defy Advanced 3
Giant Contend SL1
Cannondale Synapse alloy
Canyon Endurace AL
Cube Attain

other suggestions for bikes are welcome, but these seem to be some of the ones that i might be able to score around my price point
glad to hear you've been bitten by the cycling bug, but I wouldn't buy any of those bikes to commute on.

I commute 25 KM each way a few days per week and a road bike isn't the right tool for the job.
Deal Expert
Apr 16, 2002
15120 posts
11237 upvotes
Toronto
brickpreviews wrote:
Jun 12th, 2018 10:34 pm
Where do you guys get cheap jerseys from? I live in Ottawa and have access to sporting life, mec, bushtakah and other smaller independent stores but prices are fairly high.
When my buddy worked at Value Village he scored tons of great jerseys for cheap. Location in nice neighbourhood though, Leslieville in Toronto
Rex, eat the salad.
Deal Guru
Mar 6, 2003
11081 posts
1986 upvotes
Ottawa
zephillou wrote:
Jun 19th, 2018 12:39 pm

Giant Defy Advanced 3
Giant Contend SL1
Cannondale Synapse alloy
Canyon Endurace AL
Cube Attain

I commuted on this thing and loved it. I only rode it on nice days though. But it was way more fun than riding my previous hybrid. If you are riding on smooth roads and paths and without a lot of traffic, and have a good place to park it, it is workable.

p5pb11301656.jpg

r1lee is the obvious choice to get a deal this time of year if you want to get a Giant.
Jun 18, 2018
4 posts
warpdrive wrote:
Jun 19th, 2018 7:14 pm
I commuted on this thing and loved it. I only rode it on nice days though. But it was way more fun than riding my previous hybrid. If you are riding on smooth roads and paths and without a lot of traffic, and have a good place to park it, it is workable.

p5pb11301656.jpg

r1lee is the obvious choice to get a deal this time of year if you want to get a Giant.
I'm only buying in 2019. Ideally getting à 2018 model at a discount. My commute is on lakeshore/Martin Goodman trail from Mississauga to Bay st. So I only have traffic on half my commute And my building has 'secure' indoor bicycle parking facilities.

I understand that if I was travelling more north of the core these bikes would be less than ideal... But my commute is an easy one. I'm new here so I don't really know the mysterious r1lee
Deal Guru
Mar 6, 2003
11081 posts
1986 upvotes
Ottawa
Chinco wrote:
Jun 18th, 2018 11:23 pm
I’ll follow your advice and forego the light trails as my intention was 90% roads and not even sure if it’ll ever go on a trail actually. Was thinking of parks with bike paths.

If you had to narrow down to 2-3, what would you suggest for that need and budget? And how would you score a deal at a great bike shop here, like all of you I’m still very conscious about money, not poor but not rich either
Unfortunately this time of year, deals are basically nonexistent. Bike dealers generally tend to sell their bikes at full cost during the main part of riding season and then discount at end of season (Sept onwards). Selling bikes is not a high profit business because of the overhead but bike service, accessories and clothes do have a higher net profit. So the only discounts during prime season tend to be 1) older model year bikes 2) discounts on accessories when you buy a bike. At the end of the season, they’ll clear out old stock at increasing discounts (e.g. 20+%). Maybe more if the bike is high end and has more profit margin, Older model year bikes might be IDENTICAL to the current year, except the color and graphics. Sometimes they refresh the design and change the parts, but the 2018 Giant Escape is probably identical to the 2017. The only way to tell is to look at the parts specs.

As far as getting deals, there is no consistent way to get them. You just have to notice a deal at the right time. Find the stores you are interested in, check their webpages and social media regularly to see if there are any promotions. Visit them and ask if there are any deals. If you have to special order the bike in, there is no discount usually. If the bike is in the store in your size, then there might be room to move. One local store in Ottawa as a one week sale in July, and another store here has a one day storewide Customer Appreciation sale, so it varies from store to store.

Sportchek has a few mid grade bikes in your price range and there are definitely ways to get discounts (coupons, credits, discounted gift cards). Example: https://www.sportchek.ca/categories/sho ... =332482529

Trek has a promotion called timed TrekFest when they’ll give you a credit toward accessories. It might happen again next month (I think they had one in April)

As for which bike, I’m partial to Treks (we have an FX which is a solid bike and my "nice" bike is a Trek). The Escape is a safe choice. Most of these bikes are more similar than different, so picking a dealer which is helpful and close to you might be a better consideration. Giant, Trek, Specialized, Scott are large bike companies. Devinci, Cannondale and Norco are internationally sold Canadian brands. MEC has a good assortment of bikes too.

Good luck!
Deal Guru
Mar 6, 2003
11081 posts
1986 upvotes
Ottawa
zephillou wrote:
Jun 19th, 2018 8:07 pm
I'm only buying in 2019. Ideally getting à 2018 model at a discount. My commute is on lakeshore/Martin Goodman trail from Mississauga to Bay st. So I only have traffic on half my commute And my building has 'secure' indoor bicycle parking facilities.

I understand that if I was travelling more north of the core these bikes would be less than ideal... But my commute is an easy one. I'm new here so I don't really know the mysterious r1lee
End of year is always the BEST time to get one. Check MEC too, they have some nice Ridley bikes usually discounted. R1LEE is a forum member that can refer you to a dealer in Oakville for discounted Giant bikes (always a solid choice). If you have a Giant picked out, give him a PM.
Deal Expert
Apr 16, 2002
15120 posts
11237 upvotes
Toronto
FYI for people in Toronto

Rex, eat the salad.
Deal Addict
Nov 8, 2004
1968 posts
54 upvotes
Swerny wrote:
Jun 19th, 2018 3:00 pm
glad to hear you've been bitten by the cycling bug, but I wouldn't buy any of those bikes to commute on.

I commute 25 KM each way a few days per week and a road bike isn't the right tool for the job.
Same. I have a road bike and a commuter and the fit on my road bike feels like it's too low and aggressive for the city. Even carrying backpack isn't all that comfortable as it is with the commuter. I also dislike clipping and unclipping in the city...That said I've seen nicer road bikes in my building so you might enjoy taking a road bike to work :)

Some bike shops in the city have used bikes they sell - you can go that route if you wanted one now and didn't want to spend a ton of money. I've also known a few people to get good deals at the Fall bike show in Toronto. Just do your research ahead of time and know what you're looking for.