RFD Cycling Thread [OFFICIAL]

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 21st, 2018 2:31 pm
Jun 18, 2018
19 posts
9 upvotes
bunnyfoo wrote:
Jun 20th, 2018 1:26 pm

Same. I have a road bike and a commuter and the fit on my road bike feels like it's too low and aggressive for the city. Even carrying backpack isn't all that comfortable as it is with the commuter. I also dislike clipping and unclipping in the city...That said I've seen nicer road bikes in my building so you might enjoy taking a road bike to work :)

Some bike shops in the city have used bikes they sell - you can go that route if you wanted one now and didn't want to spend a ton of money. I've also known a few people to get good deals at the Fall bike show in Toronto. Just do your research ahead of time and know what you're looking for.
Any bike shops in particular come to mind that sell used? I'm definitely going the check out the bike shows that's why i'm doing the research now. As for the positioning, that's why i was aiming at the endurance/sportive bikes as they're more upwards compared to traditional road bikes. I guess i'm going to have to try to get some test rides in to get a better idea of what i really enjoy :)
Maybe i'll just keep the clipless pedals for long(er) rides and tris
Strider wrote:
Jun 20th, 2018 6:19 pm
I wouldn't let some of the other comments dissuade you from getting a road bike. I commute on a road endurance some days, and others (daycare dropoff with the chariot and winter/inclement weather) on a hybrid. I always dread the days of commuting on the hybrid compared to the road bike, I hate knowing that I could be going faster and more efficiently.

You should definitely consider a used 2-3 year old bike on Kijiji or Pinkbike. Even though you have a budget of $1800 for a shiny new bike; bike racks, locks, potholes, rain (and all other things that come with commuting) take a toll on bikes. I was sad enough to see bike rack scuffs on my $300 Costco road bike that I commute on, I'd be devastated to see the same on my carbon fun bike.
Funny, i'll be doing daycare dropoff too starting in fall, but that will be done "strollerblading", it's under 2km so that's the better method of transportation to get a workout in. The used bike makes sense but finding the gem you want is quite the task but i guess i've got time on my side for now :D
Dec 28, 2010
366 posts
45 upvotes
Mississauga, Ontario
Hi Guys,
So, I decided to give it a second shot at owning a bike in GTA. My first was stolen, while locked and parked outside my office in Toronto....yup locked but I later found out that I should have known better and have taken it inside with me regardless....sigh
Here I am again with a 500$ value bike. Is it safe to park it at a Go-Station? Lets say a Go-Station in Mississauga? Whats the best lock that one should buy?
Any other advice that long time bike owners can give for keeping it safe ?
Thanks
Deal Guru
Oct 5, 2008
10325 posts
2908 upvotes
Toronto
injuredcold wrote:
Jun 20th, 2018 11:31 pm
Hi Guys,
So, I decided to give it a second shot at owning a bike in GTA. My first was stolen, while locked and parked outside my office in Toronto....yup locked but I later found out that I should have known better and have taken it inside with me regardless....sigh
Here I am again with a 500$ value bike. Is it safe to park it at a Go-Station? Lets say a Go-Station in Mississauga? Whats the best lock that one should buy?
Thanks

recommended-bike-lock-kids-bike-value-400-500-2094803/

http://forums.redflagdeals.com/looking- ... 1206815/4/

http://forums.redflagdeals.com/bike-lock-1723465/

http://forums.redflagdeals.com/best-bike-lock-894744/
Jun 18, 2018
19 posts
9 upvotes
injuredcold wrote:
Jun 20th, 2018 11:31 pm
Hi Guys,
Thanks
I guess it depends on which station? But for a $500-value bike i wouldn't really worry.

If it was a "fancier" bike i'd tell you to look up if yours has reserved bike parking or bike lockers as some stations do but it's not the case. Also if you commute TO toronto, union station has indoor bike lockers with shower facilities you can sign up for.
Deal Addict
Nov 8, 2004
1971 posts
54 upvotes
zephillou wrote:
Jun 20th, 2018 11:12 pm
Any bike shops in particular come to mind that sell used? I'm definitely going the check out the bike shows that's why i'm doing the research now. As for the positioning, that's why i was aiming at the endurance/sportive bikes as they're more upwards compared to traditional road bikes. I guess i'm going to have to try to get some test rides in to get a better idea of what i really enjoy :)
Maybe i'll just keep the clipless pedals for long(er) rides and tris

Funny, i'll be doing daycare dropoff too starting in fall, but that will be done "strollerblading", it's under 2km so that's the better method of transportation to get a workout in. The used bike makes sense but finding the gem you want is quite the task but i guess i've got time on my side for now :D
I'll send you a PM about the shops. Some stores will let you do a test ride on their bikes, others won't. My friends seem divided about that - a few think there's no point, it's all about the fit but I liked being able to try them out myself :) But definitely get fitted whatever you end up getting - it's worth it!
Jun 18, 2018
19 posts
9 upvotes
bunnyfoo wrote:
Jun 21st, 2018 12:19 pm
I'll send you a PM about the shops. Some stores will let you do a test ride on their bikes, others won't. My friends seem divided about that - a few think there's no point, it's all about the fit but I liked being able to try them out myself :) But definitely get fitted whatever you end up getting - it's worth it!
Well i'm guessing that regardless of fit, there has to be a basic angle range you'll be looking at for position on different road bike types. Closer you get to TT the flatter you get and the closer you get to sportive/endurance the higher you'll be, relatively speaking obv.

Anyhow, it's an exciting new world. My wallet can't say the same
Mar 16, 2018
58 posts
42 upvotes
Hamilton
Looking for a recommendation for a new pair of sunglasses. Oakley glasses have a pretty decent markdown with Sporchek's recent promotion... Any thoughts on the Oakley Evzero Stride or Radar Ev Path? I'd like something that doesn't obscure my view in the drops.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 17, 2003
8073 posts
434 upvotes
ownthesky wrote:
Jun 22nd, 2018 10:11 pm
Looking for a recommendation for a new pair of sunglasses. Oakley glasses have a pretty decent markdown with Sporchek's recent promotion... Any thoughts on the Oakley Evzero Stride or Radar Ev Path? I'd like something that doesn't obscure my view in the drops.
Consider buying a helmet that has the sunglasses as attachments, they are pretty awesome. Most of the time cost more or less as a set of Oakleys. Went this way and probably never go back.
Feb 18, 2017
7 posts
warpdrive wrote:
Jun 19th, 2018 11:03 pm
Sportchek has a few mid grade bikes in your price range and there are definitely ways to get discounts (coupons, credits, discounted gift cards). Example: https://www.sportchek.ca/categories/sho ... =332482529

Trek has a promotion called timed TrekFest when they’ll give you a credit toward accessories. It might happen again next month (I think they had one in April)

As for which bike, I’m partial to Treks (we have an FX which is a solid bike and my "nice" bike is a Trek). The Escape is a safe choice. Most of these bikes are more similar than different, so picking a dealer which is helpful and close to you might be a better consideration. Giant, Trek, Specialized, Scott are large bike companies. Devinci, Cannondale and Norco are internationally sold Canadian brands. MEC has a good assortment of bikes too.
I don’t have a sport check in Montreal unfortunately, and nearest bike shops didn’t carry Trek.

I went to visit a very close and well reviewed local bike store. They suggested the Norco vfr4 519$ or the Cannondale Quick 8 519$ (Looks neat!). Said Cannondale has a better frame and slightly cheaper gears, speed component. Bike guy seemed very competent. He also said basically in simple terms, 500 range is the starting range with quality components with minor compromises. Next range is the 700$, upgraded brakes, 10 speed, “transmission”. Then next step is the 800$, upgraded lighter fork and frame.

Thy also had one Medium Norco VFR6 2017 at 465$ clearance. He told me since I’m 5’10 and right in between of Medium and Large to go with Large? Tested both and very similar for me, but somehow I like the Medium Norco one better.

Also nearby Giant store has a clearance for 2017 SLR1 for 1000$ instead of 1350$. Looks really nice and sounds like a good discount with quality components.

Not sure which one to go with thinking about pros and cons.
Deal Guru
Mar 6, 2003
11331 posts
2184 upvotes
Ottawa
Chinco wrote:
Jun 23rd, 2018 9:39 am
I went to visit a very close and well reviewed local bike store. They suggested the Norco vfr4 519$ or the Cannondale Quick 8 519$ (Looks neat!). Said Cannondale has a better frame and slightly cheaper gears, speed component. Bike guy seemed very competent. He also said basically in simple terms, 500 range is the starting range with quality components with minor compromises. Next range is the 700$, upgraded brakes, 10 speed, “transmission”. Then next step is the 800$, upgraded lighter fork and frame.
what he said sounds about right to me.....the Cannondale has a chromo fork which is a higher grade alloy.

Thy also had one Medium Norco VFR6 2017 at 465$ clearance. He told me since I’m 5’10 and right in between of Medium and Large to go with Large? Tested both and very similar for me, but somehow I like the Medium Norco one better.

Also nearby Giant store has a clearance for 2017 SLR1 for 1000$ instead of 1350$. Looks really nice and sounds like a good discount with quality components.

Not sure which one to go with thinking about pros and cons.
There's no difference between those VFRs. I would probably have a slight preference to go with the Cannondale.

The SLR1 is a whole different beast. If you do log a lot more mileage, it'd be well worth it as a fast city or on the beaten path bike, but it's certainly overkill if you're an occasional cyclist. It would be ideal bike for a route that includes some rougher paths, but is still fast bike on smooth roads. As an RFD'er, I'd be tempted by the discount (it's a good deal), and I always advocate buying as much quality as you can afford, but only you can decide how upscale you want to get for a first bike. If you are bitten by the bike bug, sometimes spending more upfront is a better way to go. If you just want to ride leisurely most of the time, the $500 range is where you should stick to

size wise, if the salesguy evaluated your position and reach on the bike and you felt comfortable, I'd say stick to the medium. I am about 5 8" and a medium fits me perfectly in most brands
Deal Guru
Oct 5, 2008
10325 posts
2908 upvotes
Toronto
warpdrive wrote:
Jun 23rd, 2018 6:58 pm
what he said sounds about right to me.....the Cannondale has a chromo fork which is a higher grade alloy.

There's no difference between those VFRs. I would probably have a slight preference to go with the Cannondale.

The SLR1 is a whole different beast. If you do log a lot more mileage, it'd be well worth it as a fast city or on the beaten path bike, but it's certainly overkill if you're an occasional cyclist. It would be ideal bike for a route that includes some rougher paths, but is still fast bike on smooth roads. As an RFD'er, I'd be tempted by the discount (it's a good deal), and I always advocate buying as much quality as you can afford, but only you can decide how upscale you want to get for a first bike. If you are bitten by the bike bug, sometimes spending more upfront is a better way to go. If you just want to ride leisurely most of the time, the $500 range is where you should stick to

size wise, if the salesguy evaluated your position and reach on the bike and you felt comfortable, I'd say stick to the medium. I am about 5 8" and a medium fits me perfectly in most brands
Chromoly is Steel.
Deal Guru
Mar 6, 2003
11331 posts
2184 upvotes
Ottawa
Swerny wrote:
Jun 25th, 2018 8:27 am
Chromoly is Steel.
it's a steel alloy. I didn't claim otherwise

Thread Information

There are currently 3 users viewing this thread. (0 members and 3 guests)