• Dec 10th, 2018 3:35 pm
Deal Guru
Mar 6, 2003
11554 posts
2376 upvotes
Ottawa
chinaboy1021 wrote:
Jul 14th, 2018 3:10 pm
Where should I buy wheels from? I don't want Chinese wheels. I want something that looks good. Budget is ~$1000. Anything?
you're not going to get nice looking non-Chinese made carbon wheels for $1K....at least I've never found any!

If you just want something aero you could get some Shimano RS81 wheels (carbon/aluminum hybrid wheels) WH-RS81-C50 (they are solid reliable rims but 1900 gr so not exactly light)
Deal Addict
Jun 12, 2003
2825 posts
51 upvotes
Markham
Thanks for the suggestions guys.

I detailed my bike and got new tires. Gp4000. Previous tires were like 6 years old no name.

Bike rides nice now. Very smooth and no sound. Roll on the 25mm is nice, noticable.

New wheels may be cheat mode. Gotta train first. Thumbs Up Sign
Jul 8, 2014
94 posts
18 upvotes
Toronto, ON
N00b question, are the rear derailleur hanger very unique/model specific? Google say that part is very common and inexpensive, but when I tried to google a replacement for my bike i only see 40-50 bucks ones.

Alternatively I see some much cheaper ones at mec for 10 to 20. They appear to be non model specific, but there are a lot of different types and not sure if it will fit my bike.

Bike is giant contend sl disc 2017.
Aug 26, 2004
707 posts
9 upvotes
GTA
Any recommendations for places that do tune-ups and fixes?
Somebody that will do a decent job at a non-inflated price (we buy our bikes used and the prices that the local bike shops charge are more than the bikes cost us)
We live in Richmond Hill, Just North of Toronto.

Thanks!
Feb 10, 2003
838 posts
226 upvotes
Calgary
Thoughts on Garmin Vivoactive 3 ($240 new) vs Fenix 3 HR ($270 refurb) for cycling? Ordered both on Prime Day
Fenix pros:
Can connect to power meter (though I don't see getting one anytime soon)
Longer battery life
Turn by turn navigation (requires a workaround)

Vivoactive pros:
Newer
Touchscreen
Slimmer

Decided to go the smartwatch route as I could always get a handlebar mount if I wanted or I can leave it on my wrist for wrist based HR. Any compelling reason why a dedicated computer would be better?
Mar 16, 2018
83 posts
58 upvotes
Hamilton
Strider wrote:
Jul 17th, 2018 11:22 am
Thoughts on Garmin Vivoactive 3 ($240 new) vs Fenix 3 HR ($270 refurb) for cycling? Ordered both on Prime Day
Fenix pros:
Longer battery life

Vivoactive pros:
Newer
Touchscreen
Slimmer

Decided to go the smartwatch route as I could always get a handlebar mount if I wanted or I can leave it on my wrist for wrist based HR. Any compelling reason why a dedicated computer would be better?
The only reason I think I'd get the Fenix is if I got a lot more serious about triathlon because it supports a proper multisport mode or I was sure I'd want a power meter down the road. As for battery life, unless they've refurbished the battery, a new vivoactive battery may very well be better!

Does anyone have any thoughts about a bike camera for Prime Day? Debating between GoPros vs the Yi knockoffs (which actually seem quite capable!).
Deal Addict
Aug 28, 2014
1850 posts
398 upvotes
Toronto, ON
False alarm, I think my feeling burned out was caused by about 40 psi missing from each tire. The visual difference is very little in a 700x38c wheel but wow the feel and efficiency loss is very apparent. The worst part is you don't normally notice it because you lose air gradually over multiple rides.
Deal Addict
Feb 18, 2016
1636 posts
454 upvotes
notfromqc wrote:
Jun 9th, 2016 11:35 pm
I have an old mountain bike which I've had forever. It's got some issues.

1 - when I pedal, the whole crank-pedal assembly wiggles back and forth. Guessing the bearings are really worn out in the bottom bracket.
2 - It's got 3 speeds at the front and 6 or 7 at the back. Derailleurs are Shimano Alivio according to the stickers. The front shifts between only 1 and 2, the rear doesn't shift at all. The shifters are the kind with 2 levers.

I don't use the bike much other than to just ride around the neighbourhood, but #1 is annoying and #2 limits what I can do eg when I get to a steep incline. Can these issues be fixed? Hoping replacement bearings can be purchased for #1, and #2 is adjustments of some kind? Just don't know where to start. When I looked at online bike shops the stuff looks much more hardcore and alien to me.
lol, well following up on my own thread. Found RJ the Bike Guy on YT (and a few others) and figured out everything I need to do with the bike. Just waiting for my stuff to arrive to get going with the work.

I was able to get the shifters working again as it was the pawls inside that were barely moving due to gummed up grease.

Going to replace the BB with a sealed cartridge type. New brake and shifter cables all around. The 7-speed freewheel is ok, it ratchets fine so I'll just leave it be.
It's a heavy beast as it is a steel frame, but it's just for casual riding.
Jun 18, 2018
21 posts
10 upvotes
Strider wrote:
Jul 17th, 2018 11:22 am
Fenix pros:
Longer battery life

Vivoactive pros:
Newer
Touchscreen
Slimmer

Depends on what your setup is and what you want to do

Vivoactive 3 is more of a general fitness tracker at the entry to mid level. It does everything alright and can track a multitude of activties...just not "together" a-la-multisport.
Battery does still last a while so for beginning the fitness journey it works great. It also looks good doing it.

If you're slightly more advanced, the Fenix is more scaleable to longer rides and is just a better watch, guts wise, overall. If you don't plan on having a power meter anytime soon, i don't see the need for it, if you don't intend on cycling more than say 4-5 hours at a time, i don't see a need for it.

I know when i'm going to start training for tris next year i'll want one, but i'll have to keep my current vivoactive HR (the 2nd iteration) in order to be able to invest in actual tri- gear instead!
ownthesky wrote:
Jul 17th, 2018 5:54 pm

Does anyone have any thoughts about a bike camera for Prime Day? Debating between GoPros vs the Yi knockoffs (which actually seem quite capable!).
I have owned a xiaomi yi for the past 3-4 years. Used with my motorcycle, so a little more hardcore speedwise and element-wise than bicycling, ,and it's held up wonderfully. Now the new one (the yi discovery, not the yi 4k...there's a difference) is an awesome value for what you get. Onscreen display 1080p @ 60, 4k @ 26 (who needs 4k anyways at the below $100 range). The image is great and it's been reliable for me on what used to be my daily moto commute.
Mar 16, 2018
83 posts
58 upvotes
Hamilton
zephillou wrote:
Jul 24th, 2018 11:27 am

Vivoactive 3 is more of a general fitness tracker at the entry to mid level. It does everything alright and can track a multitude of activties...just not "together" a-la-multisport.
Battery does still last a while so for beginning the fitness journey it works great. It also looks good doing it.

If you're slightly more advanced, the Fenix is more scaleable to longer rides and is just a better watch, guts wise, overall. If you don't plan on having a power meter anytime soon, i don't see the need for it, if you don't intend on cycling more than say 4-5 hours at a time, i don't see a need for it.

I know when i'm going to start training for tris next year i'll want one, but i'll have to keep my current vivoactive HR (the 2nd iteration) in order to be able to invest in actual tri- gear instead!

I have owned a xiaomi yi for the past 3-4 years. Used with my motorcycle, so a little more hardcore speedwise and element-wise than bicycling, ,and it's held up wonderfully. Now the new one (the yi discovery, not the yi 4k...there's a difference) is an awesome value for what you get. Onscreen display 1080p @ 60, 4k @ 26 (who needs 4k anyways at the below $100 range). The image is great and it's been reliable for me on what used to be my daily moto commute.
Ended up with a Yi Lite - seems like pretty amazing value!
Feb 10, 2003
838 posts
226 upvotes
Calgary
zephillou wrote:
Jul 24th, 2018 11:27 am

I really only do cycling and the occasional run or hike. I do plan on getting a cadence sensor, but I think either watch should support it.
It took me just over 4 hours for my last metric century and I do hope to ride an imperial century in the near future - would likely take me about 7 hours riding plus short breaks. The Vivoactive 3 is supposed to have up to 13 hours of battery life in GPS mode, but I would be seriously choked if it died before the end of a century ride. If real world battery life is in the 4-5 hour range for the VA3, looks like I'll be keeping the fenix.
Jun 18, 2018
21 posts
10 upvotes
Strider wrote:
Jul 25th, 2018 12:17 pm
I really only do cycling and the occasional run or hike. I do plan on getting a cadence sensor, but I think either watch should support it.
It took me just over 4 hours for my last metric century and I do hope to ride an imperial century in the near future - would likely take me about 7 hours riding plus short breaks. The Vivoactive 3 is supposed to have up to 13 hours of battery life in GPS mode, but I would be seriously choked if it died before the end of a century ride. If real world battery life is in the 4-5 hour range for the VA3, looks like I'll be keeping the fenix.
Oh when i say "4-5 hours at a time" i mean, ongoing training day in day out. I don't personally like charging the watch on a daily basis so i'd like something with longer battery life if possible. I know from my friend who's done a metric century that the VA3 can def last that much time and more so you should be safe with it
Deal Addict
Aug 15, 2010
1644 posts
164 upvotes
Looking to get a bike for my wife. Seems like sales are popping up and Trek has their additional sale on.

Ideally a 10-speed rear cassette (so Tiagra 4700 or older 105) any ideas where I should look in Ottawa?
How can an ant carry twenty times its body weight, but root beer floats are still delicious?