Sports & Recreation

RFD Cycling Thread [OFFICIAL]

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 10th, 2018 3:35 pm
May 15, 2017
70 posts
12 upvotes
Hello - looking for some advice from some experienced (road) cyclists. I'm looking to expand my cycling to the pavement (my experience is primarily rugged XC, BMXing, etc). I'm looking for some entry level bikes that will be used mostly on road. I've decided to go with a flat bar road bike - I want to be able to go fast but I'm not totally into the drop bars.

I've found two thrifty bikes that I am looking for some feedback on. Which one would you pick? Any feedback would be great.

https://www.sportchek.ca/product/332485 ... =332485412

https://www.sportchek.ca/categories/sho ... olor%5D=99
Aug 17, 2018
62 posts
8 upvotes
Does anyone have a suggestion for a good saddle bag that can hold today's smart phones? All 3 of the saddle bags I have are too small, and 1 just barely holds my Iphone XS max but I have to take the case off. Been surviving the commute with the phone in my pocket but the shin rub is getting to me.
Deal Guru
Mar 6, 2003
11538 posts
2355 upvotes
Ottawa
turtler wrote:
Sep 24th, 2018 2:57 pm
I've found two thrifty bikes that I am looking for some feedback on. Which one would you pick? Any feedback would be great.

The main difference is one has disc brakes which cost more. The cheaper one would be fine if you just want to test the waters. The disc brakes might come in handy for wet weather commuting.
Deal Addict
Mar 11, 2004
2593 posts
450 upvotes
Mississauga
warpdrive wrote:
Sep 24th, 2018 8:33 pm
The main difference is one has disc brakes which cost more. The cheaper one would be fine if you just want to test the waters. The disc brakes might come in handy for wet weather commuting.
At this level? Not at all. Just like front shocks on cheap bikes. More harm than good.
Deal Addict
Mar 11, 2004
2593 posts
450 upvotes
Mississauga
95thRiflesOCI wrote:
Sep 24th, 2018 8:03 pm
Does anyone have a suggestion for a good saddle bag that can hold today's smart phones? All 3 of the saddle bags I have are too small, and 1 just barely holds my Iphone XS max but I have to take the case off. Been surviving the commute with the phone in my pocket but the shin rub is getting to me.
Get a frame bag that mounts on the top tube or stem. Easy access to your phone.
Deal Guru
Mar 6, 2003
11538 posts
2355 upvotes
Ottawa
cRaZyRaVr wrote:
Sep 25th, 2018 12:47 pm
At this level? Not at all. Just like front shocks on cheap bikes. More harm than good.
I rode a lower end Norco hybrid with disc brakes for a couple of weeks commuting and it worked better than I expected. The brakes were properly adjusted and bedded though. The only big problem was way too much lever travel but they still stopped well when I got caught it in a downpour. So I wouldn’t say never get them. But obviously in this case. It’s not worth the premium
Deal Fanatic
Jul 5, 2001
5382 posts
2358 upvotes
turtler wrote:
Sep 24th, 2018 2:57 pm
Hello - looking for some advice from some experienced (road) cyclists. I'm looking to expand my cycling to the pavement (my experience is primarily rugged XC, BMXing, etc). I'm looking for some entry level bikes that will be used mostly on road. I've decided to go with a flat bar road bike - I want to be able to go fast but I'm not totally into the drop bars.

Wow, that GT Vantara is really tempting. I was looking at it during the beginning of the season at it was $600.
Apr 10, 2015
67 posts
23 upvotes
Toronto, ON
9394 wrote:
Sep 25th, 2018 1:20 pm
Wow, that GT Vantara is really tempting. I was looking at it during the beginning of the season at it was $600.
On the description it says Shimano Claris, but on review and other stores stated something else. Do u know the exact specs?
Jul 18, 2007
114 posts
123 upvotes
Markham
warpdrive wrote:
Sep 25th, 2018 1:16 pm
I rode a lower end Norco hybrid with disc brakes for a couple of weeks commuting and it worked better than I expected. The brakes were properly adjusted and bedded though. The only big problem was way too much lever travel but they still stopped well when I got caught it in a downpour. So I wouldn’t say never get them. But obviously in this case. It’s not worth the premium
I don't understand quotes like this

Sounds like your brakes weren't properly adjusted if the levers went to the bar or "way too much lever travel".
Deal Guru
Mar 6, 2003
11538 posts
2355 upvotes
Ottawa
hewjas wrote:
Sep 30th, 2018 11:23 am
I don't understand quotes like this

Sounds like your brakes weren't properly adjusted if the levers went to the bar or "way too much lever travel".
I adjusted as much slack as I could out of them with the barrel adjusters and pulling the cable as tight as I could. When they did engage, they didn't grab nearly as well as my hydraulic discs, which I imagine could be rectified with better pads. It's also a combination of the really spongy levers and poor cabling. You get what you pay for, They were good enough for normal use though.
Jun 2, 2017
154 posts
25 upvotes
TomKat2 wrote:
Apr 14th, 2018 8:04 pm
id look for something used. Maybe last gen dura ace c35s. Or some new or used reputable chinese carbon. check on pinkbike or the facebook road bike classifieds. for 5-600 incl tax i dont think that new wheels in that price point will be worth the upgrade. flo wheels were quite popular a couple years ago. they are probably fine too.
Hi, I'm in the same boat. Looking for a bike for casual riding (odd trail for fun) and the capability to commute in the city if needed. I road a used beater bike for about a KM and it was a ton of endurance whether uphill/flat just to get it to go. This one below or something similar (whether new/used) looks good. Pretty much looking not to have to 'grind' to get the bike to go.

https://www.amazon.ca/Schwinn-700c-Spor ... B00P470HI4
Deal Addict
Aug 28, 2014
1850 posts
398 upvotes
Toronto, ON
warpdrive wrote:
Sep 30th, 2018 11:43 am
I adjusted as much slack as I could out of them with the barrel adjusters and pulling the cable as tight as I could. When they did engage, they didn't grab nearly as well as my hydraulic discs, which I imagine could be rectified with better pads. It's also a combination of the really spongy levers and poor cabling. You get what you pay for, They were good enough for normal use though.
Could have been any number of things; I swapped my hydraulic semi metallic set for a different brake set that used resin pads without bothering to clean the rotors of old brake residue, I thought contamination was just a myth for people to blame their problems on. The brakes couldn't even stop me from lightly pushing the bike. A quick scuffing of the pads and rotors and they grabbed properly like they were supposed to.

Any ways why are people looking at buying bikes right now, it's almost winter.
Deal Addict
Sep 29, 2004
3767 posts
307 upvotes
Toronto
nabiul wrote:
Oct 2nd, 2018 5:49 am
Any ways why are people looking at buying bikes right now, it's almost winter.
It's because stores are clearing out their inventory and this is the best time for discount prices.
Deal Addict
Nov 8, 2004
1979 posts
57 upvotes
Upgraded my bike to 11 speed and need to replace the cassette (Shimano) on my trainer ... any place to get a cassette at a reasonable price? The trainer came with a generic cassette from what it looks like so I don't think I need Ultegra or anything fancy.
Feb 25, 2003
203 posts
32 upvotes
Vancouver
bunnyfoo wrote:
Oct 2nd, 2018 3:26 pm
Upgraded my bike to 11 speed and need to replace the cassette (Shimano) on my trainer ... any place to get a cassette at a reasonable price? The trainer came with a generic cassette from what it looks like so I don't think I need Ultegra or anything fancy.
I bought an Ultegra one recently from Jenson USA for a good price, but maybe you should check MEC if nearby.