Sports & Recreation

RFD Cycling Thread [OFFICIAL]

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 10th, 2019 2:05 pm
Mar 29, 2007
161 posts
21 upvotes
The 11 inc at the shops at don mills has a 1 day only sale today. just got back, most of their soft goods with the exception of assos is 50% off. Includes castelli, poc, giordana. helmets and shoes same deal with some exclusions.
Nov 6, 2007
292 posts
113 upvotes
London
1 day left 24 more tickets need to be sold, please help make this happen!
junkyjunky wrote:
Oct 5th, 2018 8:35 am
For those of you in the London, Ontario area and want to see a cycling documentary, MAMIL is going to be playing on October 29.

If you've tried to watch this film, you've noticed how incredibly difficult it is to find. For those that do not know it check out this link: https://www.imdb.com/title/tt7890942/pl ... _=tt_ov_pl

I have been able to coordinate a viewing date in London at Hyland Cinema (240 Wharncliffe Road South, London, ON, N6J 2L4), available now on October 29, 2018, at 7:00 PM. You register for your tickets here: https://tickets.demand.film/event/6103

Note, that if we don't get 50 people to sign up for tickets, we don't get to watch the movie, so spread the word. Your charges for tickets don't get billed unless the movie shows. Right now we need 37 more tickets to be sold to make the showing happen - tell all of your cycling friends!!!!

Let me know if you have questions and hope to see you all there!
Apr 10, 2017
811 posts
269 upvotes
TomKat2 wrote:
Oct 11th, 2018 4:18 pm
The 11 inc at the shops at don mills has a 1 day only sale today. just got back, most of their soft goods with the exception of assos is 50% off. Includes castelli, poc, giordana. helmets and shoes same deal with some exclusions.
I wonder if their Assos rep got pissed with them "flooding" Toronto with cheap Assos stuff because of the "flood" that happened
Deal Addict
Feb 14, 2004
1050 posts
121 upvotes
SCARBOROUGH
Does cold weather make your aluminum bike more absorbate in harsh roads? I have been commuting with my Costco Northrock road bike this past summer, and this bike is pretty stiff and harsh. However, lately I feel it's less harsh when I go through the Don Mill trail.

Just wondering if there's any science behind this, or it's all in my head lol
Deal Guru
Mar 6, 2003
12262 posts
3298 upvotes
Ottawa
pcboy wrote:
Oct 20th, 2018 9:43 pm
Does cold weather make your aluminum bike more absorbate in harsh roads? I have been commuting with my Costco Northrock road bike this past summer, and this bike is pretty stiff and harsh. However, lately I feel it's less harsh when I go through the Don Mill trail.

if anything, the cold weather should make teh bike frame stiffer, except for tire pressure. When the air gets cold, air contracts and tire pressure goes down. And that means a softer ride. The same reason you want to recheck your tire pressure on car tires when the temp drops.
RFD is not just about saving money, it's about the thrill of the hunt and not paying full price like Joe Shmoe did. This applies to everyday items as well as high end items that I don't really need.
Deal Addict
Mar 11, 2004
2925 posts
734 upvotes
Mississauga
pcboy wrote:
Oct 20th, 2018 9:43 pm

Its just your ass getting used to the bike.
Apr 23, 2016
170 posts
112 upvotes
Looking to buy some nice carbon clinchers for my bike. Scared to buy used for the obvious reasons.

Anyone have suggestions on where to find some good deals?
Deal Guru
Oct 5, 2008
11473 posts
4819 upvotes
Toronto
R35gtr wrote:
Oct 30th, 2018 4:37 pm
Looking to buy some nice carbon clinchers for my bike. Scared to buy used for the obvious reasons.

Anyone have suggestions on where to find some good deals?
I have bought wheels from both XMCarbonspeed and Yishun Bike and have been happy with both sets.
Aug 12, 2003
365 posts
12 upvotes
Toronto
Any local GTA deals for a Wahoo Kickr Core and Climb? A few good deals now in the US, but would be nice to buy locally for service issues, but the price gap is pretty big with US sales now.
Deal Addict
Jan 29, 2017
1604 posts
1117 upvotes
GoogleFish wrote:
Nov 13th, 2018 3:38 pm
Any local GTA deals for a Wahoo Kickr Core and Climb? A few good deals now in the US, but would be nice to buy locally for service issues, but the price gap is pretty big with US sales now.
What are the deals you are seeing down South? In the market for a smart bike trainer albeit still researching various models.
Aug 12, 2003
365 posts
12 upvotes
Toronto
peli33 wrote:
Nov 14th, 2018 2:46 pm
What are the deals you are seeing down South? In the market for a smart bike trainer albeit still researching various models.
Clever Training has 20% off one item, including all trainers, this week only. Need to ship to US address.
Sep 20, 2003
368 posts
89 upvotes
Burnaby
trainers and power meters: dcrainmaker.com for reviews and deals
Mar 16, 2018
339 posts
310 upvotes
Hamilton
Anyone else on Zwift this winter? This is my semi-sketchy home office setup so that I can use my gaming GPU. My biggest limitation right now is that I can't get a screen at eye level, so inclines ahead are really hard to gauge as everything looks like I'm going downhill. I've ordered a better monitor arm so that I can get rid of that ratchet looking IKEA trestle and place the arm back on my desk - I debated purchasing a 1080p screen just for Zwift but I really like my widescreen monitor and didn't want a ton of screens in my room.
IMG_3329.jpg