Sports & Recreation

RFD Cycling Thread [OFFICIAL]

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 10th, 2018 3:35 pm
Mar 16, 2018
83 posts
58 upvotes
Hamilton
Anyone else on Zwift this winter? This is my semi-sketchy home office setup so that I can use my gaming GPU. My biggest limitation right now is that I can't get a screen at eye level, so inclines ahead are really hard to gauge as everything looks like I'm going downhill. I've ordered a better monitor arm so that I can get rid of that ratchet looking IKEA trestle and place the arm back on my desk - I debated purchasing a 1080p screen just for Zwift but I really like my widescreen monitor and didn't want a ton of screens in my room.
IMG_3329.jpg
Aug 8, 2010
695 posts
544 upvotes
GTA
ownthesky wrote:
Nov 19th, 2018 4:10 pm
My biggest limitation right now is that I can't get a screen at eye level, so inclines ahead are really hard to gauge as everything looks like I'm going downhill.
IMG_3329.jpg
I prefer having the screen few inches below eye level.
I am using my 32" TV now and its great.
Mar 16, 2018
83 posts
58 upvotes
Hamilton
vermit25 wrote:
Nov 20th, 2018 11:27 am
I prefer having the screen few inches below eye level.
I am using my 32" TV now and its great.
I just ordered a tv tripod off Amazon so I'm hoping I'll be able to get a cheap 1080p display off Kijiji now that everyone is tossing perfectly good Tv's out for 4K displays Face With Tears Of Joy I'll try it just below eye level once I have a bit more stability in my mounting.
Dec 26, 2010
781 posts
471 upvotes
ownthesky wrote:
Nov 19th, 2018 4:10 pm
Anyone else on Zwift this winter?
IMG_3329.jpg
just tried it for the first time! pretty fun
Sep 20, 2003
343 posts
80 upvotes
Burnaby
is there a way (or product) to wrap handlebars without having ridges? been riding around without tape and i prefer not having those bumps. cushioning isn't an issue either, just something with a little grippiness and to make the bar a bit fatter.
Deal Addict
Feb 9, 2012
3348 posts
280 upvotes
Toronto
I posted here a while ago and got no response..

https://forums.redflagdeals.com/road-bi ... n-2241156/

Figured I would try this thread if anyone can help please?

I've been running for a little over a year and done a few 10k races and the Scotia half marathon.

Need to chnage it up and looking to get into a triathlon. Specifically, I want to do the half ironman.

I'm ok with swimming (swam competitive in school) and will sign up maybe for some masters swimming to get back in properly.

As for the bike, I need to figure out what to buy (as well as an indoor trainer to use with it). I have a Raleigh mountain bike, but that won't cut it for a tri.

Male, 41, 5' 11" 140lbs if it matters.
Sep 20, 2003
343 posts
80 upvotes
Burnaby
cessnabmw wrote:
Dec 5th, 2018 6:11 pm

I've been running for a little over a year and done a few 10k races and the Scotia half marathon.

Need to chnage it up and looking to get into a triathlon. Specifically, I want to do the half ironman.

I'm ok with swimming (swam competitive in school) and will sign up maybe for some masters swimming to get back in properly.

As for the bike, I need to figure out what to buy (as well as an indoor trainer to use with it). I have a Raleigh mountain bike, but that won't cut it for a tri.

if ur not out to win it u can do it on a mtn bike (u won't b the only one). just get shoes, cleats and slick tires. mtb shoes/cleats r easy&fast to transition on, stiff enough and cheap. If u have money to burn look into a set of comfortable aero bars and a power meter. This stuff can be transferred to a nice bike in the future. (A power meter is the best tool to help train most efficiently in the time available.)

why u don't want a nice bike to start is it takes time to get flexible to get aero. everyone new u see on an aero bike is setup like they're riding a hybrid anyways. Also the chance of crashing is higher at the beginning and cost 100's to 1000's to fix.

Work on your flexibility and then get a bike fit. the fitter can recommend bikes that will be comfy and aero.

*edit* also crushing ppl on $10k bikes with an old mtb feels great and is like a mental turbo boost
Deal Guru
Mar 6, 2003
11545 posts
2356 upvotes
Ottawa
cessnabmw wrote:

My friend who did an ironman started out doing tris on a road bike and got comfortable on that for a couple of years. He swapped out the seat post to get a more forward position and had clip on bars, adjusting his position as he wanted to migrate to a more aero position. I think this is the way to go for a lot of people who don't know how heavily they will stay invested in doing triathlons
Sep 20, 2003
343 posts
80 upvotes
Burnaby
unless u plan to doing road bike group rides don't get a road bike. you'll be making compromises to your posture, fit and performance for no reason.
Deal Addict
Feb 9, 2012
3348 posts
280 upvotes
Toronto
Thanks for the responses!

My mtb is old and heavy... Are you saying that people actually use those for tris? I am thinking of doing the half ironman in Muskoka in July 2020. Won't this be too heavy to train with?
Deal Addict
Mar 11, 2004
2593 posts
453 upvotes
Mississauga
mc hammer wrote:
Dec 5th, 2018 9:15 pm
unless u plan to doing road bike group rides don't get a road bike. you'll be making compromises to your posture, fit and performance for no reason.
What a load of horse shit lol
Sep 20, 2003
343 posts
80 upvotes
Burnaby
cessnabmw wrote:
Dec 6th, 2018 6:52 am

My mtb is old and heavy... Are you saying that people actually use those for tris? I am thinking of doing the half ironman in Muskoka in July 2020. Won't this be too heavy to train with?
been doing events over 6 yrs and i've seen ppl on various kinds of old bikes inc. mtb. Not saying don't get it at all. But cuz you're just starting out you don't need to right now. i'm sure by end of next summer you'll be wanting to change w/e bike u have due to fit or w/e. I'm assuming you'll b wanting to do try events next season and the mtb will be fine to start out with. If $ is not an issue then yea, go get a bike now knowing that there's a possibility you might want to upgrade sometime before the event.

bike weight for training doesn't matter at all. (unless you're in a hilly area and are under geared)
Deal Guru
Oct 5, 2008
10613 posts
3450 upvotes
Toronto
cessnabmw wrote:

you want either a road bike or a tri bike, roughly a 55-56 cam frame.

Go into a bike shop[ and speak to them about your needs and what they would suggest.

I would also check the used market, Kijiji or Pinkbike and go form there. Used tri bikes seem to sell for cheap
Deal Addict
Nov 8, 2004
1979 posts
57 upvotes
cessnabmw wrote:
Dec 6th, 2018 6:52 am

If you're doing a half IM distance, I would consider getting at least a road bike. I've done the shorter distances and have seen all kinds of bikes there but you'll probably want something a bit lighter and more comfortable for 90K. Muskoka is also a hilly course (I believe) so there's that too. FWIW, I use my aero road for tris and duathlons and it's fine but I'm not riding any distance longer than 40K and i'm not competing to win. You can find used bikes on FB - there's a used bike group and one for tris in the GTA. Sometimes bike stores will also have used bikes as well - just be on the lookout :)

Good luck with Muskoka!