• Nov 24th, 2017 3:16 pm
Deal Addict
May 6, 2005
1692 posts
41 upvotes
Toronto
mikeymike1 wrote:
Jun 21st, 2011 6:16 pm
All you cheap riders stop being so cheap.
..except it still costs more than entire bicycles that most people are willing to buy. The new series makes the tech more accessible, but only to a somewhat larger group of higher end enthusiasts.
Deal Fanatic
Apr 16, 2007
6845 posts
1751 upvotes
Financial District B…
wushudrew wrote:
Jun 21st, 2011 7:24 pm
..except it still costs more than entire bicycles that most people are willing to buy. The new series makes the tech more accessible, but only to a somewhat larger group of higher end enthusiasts.

While your statement is somewhat true in your perspective there comes a time when some things are worth experiencing and worth investing in.

This is much more than upgrading from 9spd cassette to 10spd, or from steel/aluminum frame to carbon, or your avg wheel-set to aero or a hill-climbing low-profile lightweight wheelset.
Very few upgrades will blow your mind as will an electronic groupo such as this. It is literally like night and day.

Lastly, I have never ever met a cyclist whether owning a $400 bike or a $8000 bike that is not always looking for that next upgrade. It doesn't necessarily have to be super expensive or what-not but its always in the back of their minds like... 'hey, I'd like to have that on my kit'... and that may refer to a water bottle cage up to $3k carbon wheels.

There is no other industry like the bike industry where price and cost of parts and accessories are structured around weight.
Just hang out on a Saturday afternoon at MEC's bike dept. Each and every person picking up a spare part (chain, crank, pedal) is asking each other how much does this weigh and whats the weight of this etc etc.

Putting weight aside becsue this tech is much more than just weight saving, the electronic groupo has totally changed the face of cycling that no other part or accessory can and will do. Not until you are able to actually ride it for a extended period of time will you feel the same way I do. IT IS definitely worth the investment.
Banned
Sep 14, 2010
328 posts
14 upvotes
Toronto
mikeymike1 wrote:
Jun 21st, 2011 9:00 pm
While your statement is somewhat true in your perspective there comes a time when some things are worth experiencing and worth investing in.

This is much more than upgrading from 9spd cassette to 10spd, or from steel/aluminum frame to carbon, or your avg wheel-set to aero or a hill-climbing low-profile lightweight wheelset.
Very few upgrades will blow your mind as will an electronic groupo such as this. It is literally like night and day.

Lastly, I have never ever met a cyclist whether owning a $400 bike or a $8000 bike that is not always looking for that next upgrade. It doesn't necessarily have to be super expensive or what-not but its always in the back of their minds like... 'hey, I'd like to have that on my kit'... and that may refer to a water bottle cage up to $3k carbon wheels.

There is no other industry like the bike industry where price and cost of parts and accessories are structured around weight.
Just hang out on a Saturday afternoon at MEC's bike dept. Each and every person picking up a spare part (chain, crank, pedal) is asking each other how much does this weigh and whats the weight of this etc etc.

Putting weight aside becsue this tech is much more than just weight saving, the electronic groupo has totally changed the face of cycling that no other part or accessory can and will do. Not until you are able to actually ride it for a extended period of time will you feel the same way I do. IT IS definitely worth the investment.

IT IS definitely not worth the investment for me. Might as well buy a cheap car or motorcycle for that price. Lets see whos faster?

I am not racing, why the heck do i need lighter wheels or electronic groupo unless I am not physically fit? So I will need to spend more and buy lighter materials to compensate?

I see. :cheesygri
Deal Fanatic
Apr 16, 2007
6845 posts
1751 upvotes
Financial District B…
elton_to wrote:
Jun 21st, 2011 9:15 pm
IT IS definitely not worth the investment for me. Might as well buy a cheap car or motorcycle for that price. Lets see whos faster? fatter

I am not racing, why the heck do i need lighter wheels or electronic groupo unless I am not physically fit? So I will need to spend more and buy lighter materials to compensate?

I see. :cheesygri
I fixed it up top for you

So you're not physically fit... I see :razz:

With you're thinking you should go sell your current bike and go get a $99 Cdn Tire bike. Why did you even bother to spend the extra for what you have? What was the influence?
It has nothing to do with the fact if you're racing or not. We as consumers buy sporting equipment purely for the enjoyment of the sport itself.
Go ask yourself why you bought that last pair of athletic shoes that you bought. Hell, you could have gone to GoodWill to get a pair for $10 bucks. You're not running marathons or in a pro basketball team. Why do you need to spend $100 on sneakers? To look like you're some baller like in those rap videos? :facepalm:

Theres nothing better than seeing kids play street hockey with $150 hockey sticks.
People buy what they like! Can't knock it!
Banned
Sep 14, 2010
328 posts
14 upvotes
Toronto
mikeymike1 wrote:
Jun 21st, 2011 10:18 pm
I fixed it up top for you

So you're not physically fit... I see :razz:

With you're thinking you should go sell your current bike and go get a $99 Cdn Tire bike. Why did you even bother to spend the extra for what you have? What was the influence?
It has nothing to do with the fact if you're racing or not. We as consumers buy sporting equipment purely for the enjoyment of the sport itself.
Go ask yourself why you bought that last pair of athletic shoes that you bought. Hell, you could have gone to GoodWill to get a pair for $10 bucks. You're not running marathons or in a pro basketball team. Why do you need to spend $100 on sneakers? To look like you're some baller like in those rap videos? :facepalm:

Theres nothing better than seeing kids play street hockey with $150 hockey sticks.

Can you not explain all your mind of thinking to try and 'teach' everyone? Just because you are in the group of high end geeks willing to spend your last dime on groupos, doesn't mean we all should agree with you.

Yes I would spend the extra to upgrade, but not the cash from my pocket. I would get a SPONSOR. Paying almost double or triple the price for a little upgrade sounds dumb.
[OP]
Deal Expert
Sep 4, 2003
18452 posts
97 upvotes
Toronto
mikeymike1 wrote:
Ultegra Di2 is finally launched

http://cycle.shimano-eu.com/publish/con ... a_Di2.html

All you cheap riders stop being so cheap. Time to reward yourself. One ride and you will swear to never ride mechanical again

MSRP for electonics (no crank or brakes) looks to be about $1415.00

Should be able fetch street-pricing at approx $1100.00 Cdn or lower

Destined to hit store shelves October 2011

THanks... WANT!
Deal Addict
Nov 28, 2004
1251 posts
20 upvotes
Ottawa
mikeymike1 wrote:
Jun 21st, 2011 10:18 pm

I love watching kids with expensive sticks that never get to the puck/ball because they can't skate/run fast enough to get there.
Evolution has evolved so much, it doesn't exist anymore.
Deal Addict
Jul 12, 2009
1399 posts
80 upvotes
caRpetbomBer wrote:
Jun 22nd, 2011 12:12 am
[IMG]https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-NAas ... /photo.JPG[/IMG]

Why are you even riding that front wheel. That wheel is dangerous.

Thanks for your concern, but its been rock solid.

Delamination can happen, checked mine all the time and nope, no, "fyer cwackas" with this wheel.

I'm sure with that guy, he had the Delamination started already.

Has an aluminum rim, no idea how inflating a tire could burst the carbon - it's not like the tube goes in to the fairing or anything.
"Remember: a bicycle is an elegant and efficient tool designed for seeking out and defeating people who aren't as good as you."

--BikeSnobNYC
Deal Addict
May 6, 2005
1692 posts
41 upvotes
Toronto
AA0913 wrote:
Jun 22nd, 2011 9:22 am
Has an aluminum rim, no idea how inflating a tire could burst the carbon - it's not like the tube goes in to the fairing or anything.
The pressure on the aluminium rim does cause it to expand a bit, straining the carbon. The carbon closest to the rim will get the worst of it, which is why it looks like the delam started there. Carbon is incredibly stiff but doesnt have very much give, so if its strained beyond a certain point itll just pop.
Banned
Dec 3, 2009
1291 posts
23 upvotes
mikeymike1 wrote:
Ultegra Di2 is finally launched

http://cycle.shimano-eu.com/publish/con ... a_Di2.html

All you cheap riders stop being so cheap. Time to reward yourself. One ride and you will swear to never ride mechanical again

MSRP for electonics (no crank or brakes) looks to be about $1415.00

Should be able fetch street-pricing at approx $1100.00 Cdn or lower

Destined to hit store shelves October 2011
I don't even need to ride it to swear to never ride mechanical again. Alas, it isn't about being cheap, it is about being broke :( .
Deal Addict
Jul 12, 2009
1399 posts
80 upvotes
wushudrew wrote:
Jun 22nd, 2011 11:28 am
The pressure on the aluminium rim does cause it to expand a bit, straining the carbon. The carbon closest to the rim will get the worst of it, which is why it looks like the delam started there. Carbon is incredibly stiff but doesnt have very much give, so if its strained beyond a certain point itll just pop.
Why the wheel delam'd is because
1. its friggin old
2. its not new
3. if it saw heat (inside a car in the summer, while waiting for a race), delam is possible.

I am not trying to argue or anything, and hell my wheel could blow up on me tomorrow, but show me a wheel that actually has the dimensions of dual-wall 6061 aluminum rims PHYSICALLY CHANGE under 100psi of pressure from inflating a tire.

if all it took was 100psi, there is no way that wheel could hold its shape at 60km/h with a rider on top of it. [60km/h since many tour decents are clocked that fast, and they use competitive wheelsets]
The rim itself would fold in half while trying to tackle a climb or sprint.

frig, even your brake calipers would crush the rim trying to modulate speed at anything > 30km/h

sure, rim shape could change, but not under tire-pressure, or at least pressure that road tires use.
"Remember: a bicycle is an elegant and efficient tool designed for seeking out and defeating people who aren't as good as you."

--BikeSnobNYC
Deal Addict
Jul 12, 2009
1399 posts
80 upvotes
caRpetbomBer wrote:
Jun 22nd, 2011 10:01 am
Crappy cell phone pic. New wheels

[IMG]http://img217.imageshack.us/img217/4931 ... 381280.jpg[/IMG]

raises my Pista with a Pista Concept.

My pista shook with envy of clean build.

Rev-x still ok.

--BikeSnobNYC