• Sep 21st, 2018 5:48 pm
Deal Fanatic
Apr 16, 2007
6909 posts
1795 upvotes
Financial District B…
wushudrew wrote:
Jul 4th, 2011 8:33 pm
I think their paint schemes are classy. Simple, clean, not flashy. The 2010 S3 in particular..

I guess im quite the opposite. I like flashy bold paint schemes. Lines with waves and curves
Its kinda like some of the guys I ride with love the matte black or matte color schemes. I hate them.

The 2010 S3 Olympic Edition is the only Cervelo road frame I've ever liked (all white frame with colored Olympic rings). It was a major departure from their usual solid color with minimal stripes.
In my opinion Cervelo's best graphic attempts are shown on their TT frames - P3C, P2C (not the P4, its just black)

My personal favs right now are the new Merckx frames. Was at LaBicicletta last week and WOW, gorgeous paint work
Deal Addict
Mar 7, 2008
2510 posts
169 upvotes
Is it worth it for me to get a road bike? Basically, I had been taking my biking for one hour or more every other day and for exercise perhaps, I had been using my Trek Montare Hybrid. Is a great bike for commuting, but for exercise perhaps, do I get a big enough benefit for me to buy another bike?

I really like how light a road bike is! but not sure if that's worth another $1k....

Secondly, I had finally got myself a bike computer (Cateye Commuter). Is it possible to get extra sensors and mount so I can use it on a second bike? One computer for two bikes?
Deal Addict
Jul 1, 2005
1525 posts
12 upvotes
anyone has recommendation for a folding bike? Me and my wife would like to take a ride along lakeshore/woodbine beach once in a while. We live in a condo and have a small size car so a full size bike is not an option. Would be nice if the price is around $150-200 since we need to get 2, and we are not picky about the ride as long as they work.
Deal Addict
Nov 3, 2006
3542 posts
132 upvotes
Mississauga
Holy photo finish!
LOL at Contador thinking he won :cheesygri
gcg wrote:
Jul 5th, 2011 10:34 am
anyone has recommendation for a folding bike? Me and my wife would like to take a ride along lakeshore/woodbine beach once in a while. We live in a condo and have a small size car so a full size bike is not an option. Would be nice if the price is around $150-200 since we need to get 2, and we are not picky about the ride as long as they work.
You won't be able to get a decent new folding bike at that price range unfortunately. The bend in the frame and cranks are the weak links, and you don't want to take any chance of having them give out prematurely.
Deal Addict
Jul 12, 2009
1399 posts
81 upvotes
mikeymike1 wrote:
Jul 4th, 2011 9:34 pm
I guess im quite the opposite. I like flashy bold paint schemes. Lines with waves and curves
Its kinda like some of the guys I ride with love the matte black or matte color schemes. I hate them.

The 2010 S3 Olympic Edition is the only Cervelo road frame I've ever liked (all white frame with colored Olympic rings). It was a major departure from their usual solid color with minimal stripes.
In my opinion Cervelo's best graphic attempts are shown on their TT frames - P3C, P2C (not the P4, its just black)

My personal favs right now are the new Merckx frames. Was at LaBicicletta last week and WOW, gorgeous paint work

Should look at tomassini. new frames don't do it when it comes to paint.. even new garneau frames are starting to look quite attractive... !
"Remember: a bicycle is an elegant and efficient tool designed for seeking out and defeating people who aren't as good as you."

--BikeSnobNYC
Deal Fanatic
Sep 21, 2004
8128 posts
764 upvotes
THINKPADT61 wrote:
Jul 5th, 2011 9:46 am
Is it worth it for me to get a road bike? Basically, I had been taking my biking for one hour or more every other day and for exercise perhaps, I had been using my Trek Montare Hybrid. Is a great bike for commuting, but for exercise perhaps, do I get a big enough benefit for me to buy another bike?

I really like how light a road bike is! but not sure if that's worth another $1k....

Secondly, I had finally got myself a bike computer (Cateye Commuter). Is it possible to get extra sensors and mount so I can use it on a second bike? One computer for two bikes?

IMO, no it's not worth it for you to get a road bike. The hybrid has a comfortable flat handlebar, durable/reliable mtb drivetrain mixed in,
and pretty smooth tires which is a great combination for commuting and general biking. Are you racing? Are you climbing big hills? Do you need to get somewhere faster? If not, why spend the $ for a little extra speed and efficiency? Save the $ and travel or something :) Bike upgraditis can be treated!

If you want a harder workout, just pedal harder! When I go for weekend rides with Mrs. Stock, I just ride my mtb. Takes more effort with the full suspension and knobby tires, but I can hold my own :) ... Actually i'm still faster than her on the road bike. lol.

As for the bike computer, you'll have to check for your specific model. I know for certain my Sigma is ready for 2 bikes with different wheel sizes.
Deal Addict
Mar 7, 2008
2510 posts
169 upvotes
Stock R wrote:
Jul 5th, 2011 3:48 pm
IMO, no it's not worth it for you to get a road bike. The hybrid has a comfortable flat handlebar, durable/reliable mtb drivetrain mixed in,
and pretty smooth tires which is a great combination for commuting and general biking. Are you racing? Are you climbing big hills? Do you need to get somewhere faster? If not, why spend the $ for a little extra speed and efficiency? Save the $ and travel or something :) Bike upgraditis can be treated!

If you want a harder workout, just pedal harder! When I go for weekend rides with Mrs. Stock, I just ride my mtb. Takes more effort with the full suspension and knobby tires, but I can hold my own :) ... Actually i'm still faster than her on the road bike. lol.

As for the bike computer, you'll have to check for your specific model. I know for certain my Sigma is ready for 2 bikes with different wheel sizes.

Ok, I did it, I bought a used 2009 Gary Fisher Arc Super for $660CAD! This is the bike: http://fisherbikes.com/bike/archivemodel/507
-Carbon folk and seat post
-Shimano 105 front and Tiagra rear derailer
-a lot of Bontrager parts as GF is own by Trek
-is very light to me, easily for the price

The seller bought it on April 14, 2011 (according to the receipt) and he bought a old stock for $1100 including tax. So he used it for less than 3 months. I was told this bike retail for $1700, any truth in this?

The bike is in like new conditions. My guess is GF isn't very famous for road bike so he got it cheap and for some reason he want to sell it. The seller didn't look very serious about biking.... one of those guys with tons of ear rings/Tatoos and just plain weird looking~ I was looking at Cannondale CAAD8 and Trek 1.5, I think is comparable in weight... not sure about the parts quality....

Not the lightest by any means, but is very light for me and comparing to my current bike! My goal is to get a light road bike, gain some speed, and doesn't break the bank....

So did I get a good deal?
Deal Addict
May 6, 2005
1699 posts
42 upvotes
Toronto
THINKPADT61 wrote:
Jul 5th, 2011 11:33 pm
According to bikepedia, it retailed for $1320 USD. Not sure of the retail price in Canada, but it will have been higher. Did you have time to do some research before making the purchase?

It seems like not too long ago you bought your Montare.. Would pooling the money from that purchase and this one have gotten you something significantly better? I realize this is in hindsight, but it may come in handy later if you decide to upgrade again.

EDIT: Link here - http://bikepedia.com/QuickBike/BikeSpec ... &Type=bike
Aug 11, 2009
687 posts
103 upvotes
Toronto
damn that sounds like a great deal, hope it fits you well.
Anyone knows where I can get some good clothing deals? I got a lycra liner short from MEC, so far it has been pretty comfortable on 100K+ rides. Heard the fall bicycle show usually have good deals on clothings and parts, any chance of getting discounted prices this time of the year?
no external links allowed
Nov 7, 2007
319 posts
2 upvotes
Id say that's a good deal..congratulations!
$1700 (including tax) is about right for the parts you mentioned..

THINKPADT61 wrote:
Jul 5th, 2011 11:33 pm
Ok, I did it, I bought a used 2009 Gary Fisher Arc Super for $660CAD! This is the bike: http://fisherbikes.com/bike/archivemodel/507
-Carbon folk and seat post
-Shimano 105 front and Tiagra rear derailer
-a lot of Bontrager parts as GF is own by Trek
-is very light to me, easily for the price

The seller bought it on April 14, 2011 (according to the receipt) and he bought a old stock for $1100 including tax. So he used it for less than 3 months. I was told this bike retail for $1700, any truth in this?

The bike is in like new conditions. My guess is GF isn't very famous for road bike so he got it cheap and for some reason he want to sell it. The seller didn't look very serious about biking.... one of those guys with tons of ear rings/Tatoos and just plain weird looking~ I was looking at Cannondale CAAD8 and Trek 1.5, I think is comparable in weight... not sure about the parts quality....

Not the lightest by any means, but is very light for me and comparing to my current bike! My goal is to get a light road bike, gain some speed, and doesn't break the bank....

Deal Fanatic
Apr 15, 2004
5264 posts
125 upvotes
Nepean
it seems pretty good of a deal, but wushu is right.
you could of pooled the funds to get an outrageously good bike.

think somethibg like a used specialized s-works or something really high end.

.. i have always mountain biked, and decided i wanted to try road biking...

bought way too much bike for myself and ended up selling it at a huge loss a year later.

so at least you didnt spend too much, and if you dont like it, you could sell it in a years time with little to no loss!
heatware available upon request
Deal Fanatic
Sep 21, 2004
8128 posts
764 upvotes
pseudo wrote:
Jul 6th, 2011 2:24 pm
Id say that's a good deal..congratulations!
$1700 (including tax) is about right for the parts you mentioned..

+1. Enjoy the bike. Sounds like a good setup. I think you got the derailleur models reversed though. Should be 105 rear and tiagara front. ;)
Deal Addict
Mar 7, 2008
2510 posts
169 upvotes
Stock R wrote:
Jul 6th, 2011 4:53 pm
+1. Enjoy the bike. Sounds like a good setup. I think you got the derailleur models reversed though. Should be 105 rear and tiagara front. ;)

Right, good catch! I was cleaning it last night and found out the seat/chain stays are carbon!

I have develop a good relationship with my local Trek dealer and they were able to pull up the history of this GF road bike. I found out today this was a trade in~~ So I am the third owner~~ First owner bought it back in January 2010 and trade it in some point. Oh well, $660 does seems very good deal and the bike looks like new to me! I will take it in for free tune-up... I will try to forget about being a tool and the fxxken lier that sold me the bike...

At this point, I still prefer two bike setup as I can't see myself riding road bike all the time... I would stick with my hybrid if I were to have only one, but I like to try out road bike so I when to buy a used one for relative low cost! This used GF gives me just that!

Next step is to learn to use clip pedals on this road bike. Is SpeedPlay a good clip pedal? I am totally new at this... comment is welcome!