Sports & Recreation

RFD Cycling Thread [OFFICIAL]

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 26th, 2024 2:07 pm
Deal Fanatic
Sep 21, 2004
8687 posts
1542 upvotes
alkaseltzer01 wrote: That distance doesn't scare me. It's the fact that you need 10 + hrs (if you're fast). I wish I had that amount of spare time.
I use to think that any distance done slow enough would be ok. I've been taught a lesson both running and cycling. :lol:
Deal Fanatic
May 23, 2008
7286 posts
1329 upvotes
Kitchener, ON
Stock R wrote: I use to think that any distance done slow enough would be ok. I've been taught a lesson both running and cycling. :lol:
+1
Steam: SpectralMeat
Deal Addict
Nov 3, 2006
3791 posts
297 upvotes
YUL
I read about carbon pedals failing more than I like. Going to stick with plastic Keo 2 Max for now...
Hope you can get a warranty replacement for those Blades.
May 17, 2012
146 posts
2 upvotes
Toronto
Can you post a picture of the new bar ends on the flatbars. I'm trying to gauge how big they are in relation to the bars.

Thanks
ClubberLang wrote: For owners of flat bar road bikes you might want to check these out:

http://www.niagaracycle.com/product_inf ... _id=431687

I just put them on my Rapid 3 and you get much more hand positions compared to the really short bullhorn bar ends that comes with the bike. You can get VERY low by reaching for the far ends of the bar. The longer grips really give you more leverage for sprints/climbs.
Deal Addict
Aug 21, 2008
4648 posts
1680 upvotes
West Side GTA
Hey guys, my g/f purchased a bike on bikesdirect and had it shipped to CBI. Now it's a simple commuter bike and its under $400.

If i recall, Canadian Border Services only collects taxes on complete bikes worth more than "X" dollars. Does anyone know the amount by some odd chance? Also aren't bike parts exempt from being taxed on too?
Deal Addict
Jul 12, 2009
1399 posts
82 upvotes
alkaseltzer01 wrote: That distance doesn't scare me. It's the fact that you need 10 + hrs (if you're fast). I wish I had that amount of spare time.
10hrs isn't bad when you compare that to the recovery time next day!!

i know my body can go 10 hrs straight on powerbars/bananas and gatorade...

but the next day will suck pretty bad.....external AND internal hahahah
"Remember: a bicycle is an elegant and efficient tool designed for seeking out and defeating people who aren't as good as you."

--BikeSnobNYC
Deal Fanatic
Sep 21, 2004
8687 posts
1542 upvotes
-=phelan=- wrote: Hey guys, my g/f purchased a bike on bikesdirect and had it shipped to CBI. Now it's a simple commuter bike and its under $400.

If i recall, Canadian Border Services only collects taxes on complete bikes worth more than "X" dollars. Does anyone know the amount by some odd chance? Also aren't bike parts exempt from being taxed on too?
Nopes you are mistaken.

HST on the bike coming in. Duty on a complete bike is __%? Bike parts are duty free.

Few years back, to promote cycling, the goverment offered a 1-tax only (it was either gst or pst only) on all bike purchases under $1000.

So expect to pay 13%.
Deal Addict
Nov 3, 2006
3791 posts
297 upvotes
YUL
Might as well put the bike together, throw away the box, take it for a test ride, and bring it back across the border as your own bike. :twisted:
Aug 7, 2008
395 posts
43 upvotes
twotterdhc6 wrote: Might as well put the bike together, throw away the box, take it for a test ride, and bring it back across the border as your own bike. :twisted:
I know nobody who has done this very thing. :cheesygri
Deal Addict
Jan 27, 2010
1704 posts
252 upvotes
Scarbontario
Afdica wrote: Can you post a picture of the new bar ends on the flatbars. I'm trying to gauge how big they are in relation to the bars.

Thanks
From amazon.com:

[IMG]http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51e50SrhpLL.jpg[/IMG]

Not very useful, IMO. I'd rather have tri-bars which mount closer to the center of the stem. With a flatbars, you're supposed to grab the ends of the bars so what difference would it make in terms of horizontal distance?
May 17, 2012
146 posts
2 upvotes
Toronto
dr wrote: From amazon.com:

[IMG]http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51e50SrhpLL.jpg[/IMG]

Not very useful, IMO. I'd rather have tri-bars which mount closer to the center of the stem. With a flatbars, you're supposed to grab the ends of the bars so what difference would it make in terms of horizontal distance?
I would agree that they may not be very useful.

Notwithstanding the higher price tag, I would look into the Ergon Grip with extensions. The GP5 in particular. The added comfort of the grips with extentions would offset the increase in price and provide for a better riding experience.

In this case the money may be well worth it.

Here's the link. Click on to the video to get a better view.

http://www.ergon-bike.com/us/en/product/gp5#
Deal Addict
Mar 25, 2005
2457 posts
19 upvotes
I'm using those bar ends WITH ergon grips ;) .

I got the standard ergon grips without the bar ends. Those curved bar ends won't accomodate my bell.

The biggest appeal of the bars is that the reach on my bike is a little short. I can stretch out a lot further with these bars.

The pic doesn't do them justice. You can basically get 6 inches or so more reach. The angle of that pic makes it hard to judge.

Here's a pic I took.

[IMG]http://img689.imageshack.us/img689/7265 ... 061618.jpg[/IMG]

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
Mar 25, 2011
708 posts
32 upvotes
Guelph
Stock R wrote: Nopes you are mistaken.

HST on the bike coming in. Duty on a complete bike is __%? Bike parts are duty free.

Few years back, to promote cycling, the goverment offered a 1-tax only (it was either gst or pst only) on all bike purchases under $1000.

So expect to pay 13%.
A complete bike is 13%.

but they never charge duties at the border (by experience over the years). Just HST.
Mar 13, 2006
93 posts
21 upvotes
Guelph
Wow this was one great ride. The city of Waterloo really put on a good event for all cyclist. There was 3 rides from 40k to 70k or 130k timed racing ride, I did the 130k ride. We had the police stop cars while we were able to ride through without stopping. This was so awsome. We had people giving out water or Gatorade or power bars at stops just like in a race.. At the finish we enjoyed a live band and had a great meal. Wow thanks to the great group of sponsors that put on this great event. We had only a few sprinkles of rain and I enjoyed myself by getting my best time average of +35K for this ride.
More people from Toronto should head out our way for next years edition. You will have a great time.
Dec 16, 2007
373 posts
1 upvote
Scarborough
Some guy is selling a HED3. It is a carbon wheel, clincher rim for 340 with a used tire on it. Should I buy it? Is this a good deal?

It is 650c, which is what I ride... Not sure if good deal.

It won't be for racing; I'd put it on my SS to look more like a hipster and making a helicopter sound while i ride around...
Sep 24, 2007
288 posts
19 upvotes
aTriangle wrote: Some guy is selling a HED3. It is a carbon wheel, clincher rim for 340 with a used tire on it. Should I buy it? Is this a good deal?
Am always reluctant to buy any used carbon - just never know. For a little more you can get generic chinese carbon off ebay.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)