RFD Cycling Thread [OFFICIAL]

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 26th, 2024 2:07 pm
Deal Fanatic
May 23, 2008
7286 posts
1329 upvotes
Kitchener, ON
AA0913 wrote: Really sounds like you know yourself and know what you want in a bike, which is already ahead of most people who are:
1. In love with the color scheme
I would not write this off as a bad thing actually.
I am not saying people should buy bikes based on the color scheme but the look of the bike to the owner is a very important thing imo. For instance I absolutely love the way my bike looks and every time I look at it I want to go for a ride. It is sort of a motivational thing for me.

Everyone finds their motivation in different things but this is one of the motivation factor for me.
Steam: SpectralMeat
May 2, 2005
716 posts
159 upvotes
ottawarc wrote: My 9yo son really needs to move up from a 20" tire to a 24" tire bike sizewise but all I really seem to see are Cdn Tire junk out there. Any suggestions for a middle of the road (~$300-400) option? A mountain bike is what he'd like - I'm thinking front suspension only?

Thanks!
Depending on his size, I would suggest waiting one more year (or maybe he is ready now) and he can get onto a 26" MTB on a 13 or 15" frame. You can get something like a Alivio-mix with discs and a lock-out fork (Specialized Rockhopper) for ~$400 for an older model on clearance, or a comparable from BikesDirect. At least the equipment is 1/2 decent and he will find it much more enjoyable.

Definitely front suspension only -- the doubles will be cheap quality and very heavy at that price.
Deal Addict
Jul 12, 2009
1399 posts
82 upvotes
SpectralMeat wrote: I would not write this off as a bad thing actually.
I am not saying people should buy bikes based on the color scheme but the look of the bike to the owner is a very important thing imo. For instance I absolutely love the way my bike looks and every time I look at it I want to go for a ride. It is sort of a motivational thing for me.

Everyone finds their motivation in different things but this is one of the motivation factor for me.
there is some truth in that.......

im pretty sticky about how my bikes look and spend way too much time obsessing about small details.

and dont get me started about my choice of shorts and jersey - people have always said something about cyclists crouched over, slim runners builds, shaved legs and wearing tight spandex in bright colours..........
"Remember: a bicycle is an elegant and efficient tool designed for seeking out and defeating people who aren't as good as you."

--BikeSnobNYC
Deal Addict
Mar 16, 2007
2959 posts
2496 upvotes
Scarborough
Hey guys, I have two bikes, a Trek FX 7.1 and a Trek FX 7.2.

I would like to keep them safe, and have heard stories of locks getting cut / cracked open. Can anyone recommend a lock that wont break the bank for use on both? I am hoping for lightweight, but want to make sure I can lock it up without worrying. I've met a few people who really like the bikes, and assume they are worth more than they actually are... That's never good :(

P.S. I went to KB Bicycle shop in Scarborough (Markham) and was very happy with their service, 29.99 each tuneup, a free bike cleaning and new tires and inner tubes (for one of two bikes)... total was 120 all in, but I'm not sure I trusted their selection of bike locks!

Also, I have had a surgery that causes my foot to slant inward towards the heel, making it very difficult to bike, especially standing up... Has anyone ever seen wider pedals? Sounds odd, but that would help me quite a bit...

Sorry for all the questions...
May 17, 2012
146 posts
2 upvotes
Toronto
Afdica wrote: I'm not an eBay shopper. How comfortable are you when purchasing on ebay, whether it is on .ca or .com.

I came across this Giant helmet and wonder whether it is a knock-off or legit. The sellers appear to have a good track record but I'm still not convinced.

Here is the eBay link:

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/2012-GIANT-Helme ... a71241099y

No reference is made as to model and when you look at Giant sizing on Giant website, you get different dimensions for which sizes are suitable. IOW ad says large but sizing encompasses medium as well. The range for sizing is larger on the ad.

Giant website:

http://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-ca/gea ... 838/39864/

Just wondering whether they are old models that are legit being blown out or chinese knock-offs with duped safety standard decals.

Please share experiences and/or thoughts.

Also what additional expenses will I incur is I were to order the helmet in the link. ie:hst, fees for customs, etc. Please stipulate the fees if you know them off hand.

Thanks

Any bad experiences with helmet ebay purchases from China and/or Hong Kong??

I realized you can always send things back but I'm trying to avoid hassles and headaches while searching for value.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.
Deal Addict
May 6, 2005
1959 posts
285 upvotes
Toronto
skinnydoggy wrote: Hey guys, I have two bikes, a Trek FX 7.1 and a Trek FX 7.2.

I would like to keep them safe, and have heard stories of locks getting cut / cracked open. Can anyone recommend a lock that wont break the bank for use on both? I am hoping for lightweight, but want to make sure I can lock it up without worrying. I've met a few people who really like the bikes, and assume they are worth more than they actually are... That's never good :(

P.S. I went to KB Bicycle shop in Scarborough (Markham) and was very happy with their service, 29.99 each tuneup, a free bike cleaning and new tires and inner tubes (for one of two bikes)... total was 120 all in, but I'm not sure I trusted their selection of bike locks!

Also, I have had a surgery that causes my foot to slant inward towards the heel, making it very difficult to bike, especially standing up... Has anyone ever seen wider pedals? Sounds odd, but that would help me quite a bit...

Sorry for all the questions...
The Kryptonite New York locks are very expensive but supposedly extremely tough. They certainly seem that way when you handle them because theyre so heavy and massive. Their Evolution (orange) series is quite solid and much more affordable. I usually suggest people use a combination of a U-lock for the frame and a chain/cable + small lock for the wheels and everything else. Its not cheap, but is quite secure.

You can get fairly large mountain biking platform pedals (like this: http://www.albes.com/ProductImages/peda ... .Black.jpg) at MEC or any bike shop. Theyre a good deal wider than regular pedals.
Deal Addict
Jul 12, 2009
1399 posts
82 upvotes
Afdica wrote: Any bad experiences with helmet ebay purchases from China and/or Hong Kong??

I realized you can always send things back but I'm trying to avoid hassles and headaches while searching for value.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.
in before someone posts some non-sense about china, safety and your noggin.
"Remember: a bicycle is an elegant and efficient tool designed for seeking out and defeating people who aren't as good as you."

--BikeSnobNYC
Deal Addict
Mar 16, 2007
2959 posts
2496 upvotes
Scarborough
Thanks, I was hoping for wider pedals going the other way (out, knees need to be spread wider), but I might have to alter this myself somehow :(

Thanks for the lock suggestions. I was looking at the Kryptonite New York Fuhghettabotit or however they spell it, it's 180 in Canada from Amazon.ca... uhhhh lol

I'll check out the orange ones
Deal Addict
May 6, 2005
1959 posts
285 upvotes
Toronto
skinnydoggy wrote: Thanks, I was hoping for wider pedals going the other way (out, knees need to be spread wider), but I might have to alter this myself somehow :(
Large platform pedals can be slightly wider in that direction too by having longer spindles, so your knees can be a bit further apart. You wont get very much distance though, maybe 1-2cm extra at most.
Deal Addict
Nov 28, 2004
1251 posts
24 upvotes
Ottawa
Ryder may have just lost his chances of competing for yellow. Caught up in a crash, lost way too much time. Media exposure for Ryder and cycling will go down the tubes now.
Evolution has evolved so much, it doesn't exist anymore.
Deal Addict
Aug 21, 2008
4648 posts
1680 upvotes
West Side GTA
hey guys I have a problem. I recently purchased a bike from bikes direct and the rear shifter is sticking. Its a shimano alvio. does not return back to its original position after shifting. does it need lubrication or is there an adjustment screw somewhere that I am missing?
Deal Addict
Jul 17, 2009
1055 posts
697 upvotes
Richmond Hill
-=phelan=- wrote: hey guys I have a problem. I recently purchased a bike from bikes direct and the rear shifter is sticking. Its a shimano alvio. does not return back to its original position after shifting. does it need lubrication or is there an adjustment screw somewhere that I am missing?
Try either tightening or lossening the cable until your shifter matches with the gear.
If this doesn't make sense to you, time to go on youtube and learn :)
Deal Fanatic
Sep 21, 2004
8687 posts
1542 upvotes
AARON_R/C wrote: Try either tightening or lossening the cable until your shifter matches with the gear.
If this doesn't make sense to you, time to go on youtube and learn :)
That doesn't sound like the issue. To me it sounds like the righter shifter triggers are sticking (pull w/ finger, it doesn't spring back). It's not a rear derailleur cable tension issue.
Deal Addict
Jul 17, 2009
1055 posts
697 upvotes
Richmond Hill
Stock R wrote: That doesn't sound like the issue. To me it sounds like the righter shifter triggers are sticking (pull w/ finger, it doesn't spring back). It's not a rear derailleur cable tension issue.
i see what you mean now. In your case i would open up the shifter until, remove the cover, just the cover and check if the return spring is broken or not and also see if anything got stuck inside.
Deal Addict
Nov 3, 2006
3791 posts
297 upvotes
YUL
r1lee wrote: yup 7min behind.
Ryder and his entire Garmin team has effectively been wiped out. Tough luck for them.

I wonder if Ryder would rest up and try to recover in time for the Olympics now.
Deal Fanatic
Apr 16, 2007
8134 posts
3485 upvotes
Financial District B…
The top of the thumb shifter is rubbing on the underside of the bar mount that it passes when you push it forward. Use pliers to gentle bend the black plastic thumb tab downwards.
This is a common issue for people who drop their mtn bikes or move them around when the bottom of the bar(either side) rests on a flat surface. The thumb shifter almost always gets pushed upwards then it won't shift and you won't know why.
----------------------------Licensed Credit Bureau member, S1, FI Automotive, CCP forums most banned = x 13 and counting, guess who that is?... stomped to the curb once again
Deal Addict
Mar 25, 2005
2457 posts
19 upvotes
I have been really enjoying my Rapid 3, but am feeling a case of upgradeitis.

The bike was bought for exactly what it does...a fast commuter with road bike genetics...to give me an intro to fitness riding.

I wish it could accommodate stubby tires so I could hit the occasional trail.

I am really interested in the Jona Jake the Snake. Gave one a test ride recently. It's got 105/Ultegra components and a carbon fork.

My question: If I go to the Jake the snake and throw on slicks will I get a considerably greater road ride than I get on my rapid 3? I know a cyclocross bike has a beefier frame but the bike does have a carbon fork. Is it worth throwing that money into the Jake when the primary use will be road riding for fitness/commuting?

It's not like I have "outgrown" the Rapid. I am three months into riding and I'm currently still using caged pedals.
Deal Addict
Mar 25, 2005
2457 posts
19 upvotes
One more note. The GF has an ancient heavy mountain bike and can't keep up with me on long rides. I am thinking of grabbing her a Jamis Ventura Sport....or I buy myself the Jake and she gets the Rapid 3....

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (1 member and 0 guests)

RendX