Sports & Recreation

RFD Cycling Thread [OFFICIAL]

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 26th, 2024 2:07 pm
Deal Addict
Mar 11, 2010
1022 posts
365 upvotes
ketsana wrote: Be a real asian and offer him 500. Ask him what's up with the mish-mash wheelset of ultegra up front and cxp22 out back. Something must have happened to one of the wheels so look for frame and dropout damage. This guy looks like he rode it alot to have changed cables and pads.
At 700, I would honestly look for something newer though and not triple. It's gonna drive your sister crazy with all the rubbing/crosschaining.

Nice colours on the frame though... that's what its gonna come down to on her side :)
I was planning to inspect/test it myself if it got to meeting with the guy to see how everything ran. But I didn't think that the bike could have been in some sort of crash due to the different wheels, that could be a real possibility. I was thinking a triple might be good for sister because she might struggle in the climbs so the granny gear would be good for her :P
r1lee wrote: worth a try. When people walk up to me and ask if i want to apply for their credit card, i just tell them "sorry i don't speak english" and walk away.
LOL how have I not tried this before...
ketsana wrote: Also... if you can get a sweet deal on the Lexa S, it didn't have thumb shifters. Must be new Sora or something. Also has carbon fork.
Never hurts to ask. It's better when you feel you have been wronged
Here's the story of my other daughter's Lexa S:
- called into Bushtukah, they said they had the base lexa in stock at 47cm.
- went to the store with the whole family, they didn't have it, I complained about wasting my time to someone who I thought was the mgr... ended up being the owner
- got the Lexa S 950$ MSRP for the sale price of the base Lexa $599 + $50 coupon of course.

Same owner even offered me 25% off Reynolds Assaults too cause I complained that all US sellers were selling them for $1000. Would have been something like $1100... still too expensive after tax.
Ah, yeah the new Sora doesn't have the thumb shifters. I thought it had Shimano 2300, which I believe has them. Thanks again for the info and insight. Much appreciated ketsana!
Deal Fanatic
Jan 17, 2003
8993 posts
1532 upvotes
samm wrote: You sell your frame?
No, upgraded to red 22 on the tcr. Both my bikes are now 11spd. I was initially going to keep the red for the propel, but I might put 9000 on that bike.

I got a real good deal on red22, couldn't pass it up.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 14, 2006
6553 posts
605 upvotes
Toronto
r1lee wrote: No, upgraded to red 22 on the tcr. Both my bikes are now 11spd. I was initially going to keep the red for the propel, but I might put 9000 on that bike.

I got a real good deal on red22, couldn't pass it up.

Hydro brakes?
RFD + ME = POOR
Deal Fanatic
Jan 17, 2003
8993 posts
1532 upvotes
jamgyu wrote: Hydro brakes?
No, hence there's no aero brakes. I just kept them from the old red.
Sep 8, 2010
271 posts
7 upvotes
Toronto
jamgyu wrote: I was born and raised in Scarborough... most of my friends growing up lived in Malvern. I've also worked in a psychiatric hospital Emergency Dept., and I worked at a school in Parkdale last year.

so yeah I probably would approach... :)

BUT I could see why the credit card ppl wouldn't. lol
Got to love Toronto's diversity....R1lee you describe it like that I might not even look at the mirror again..lol...trying to sell my specialized Allez comp 105...medium...however all these discounted sales really hurting me...oh well when the propel arrives I'll take my mind off it until the spring...
Deal Fanatic
Sep 21, 2004
8687 posts
1542 upvotes
Optimusx wrote: Got to love Toronto's diversity....R1lee you describe it like that I might not even look at the mirror again..lol...trying to sell my specialized Allez comp 105...medium...however all these discounted sales really hurting me...oh well when the propel arrives I'll take my mind off it until the spring...
My buddy sold his allez 105 for $900 last month? But yeah, it's harder to sell now.
Sep 8, 2010
271 posts
7 upvotes
Toronto
Stock R wrote: My buddy sold his allez 105 for $900 last month? But yeah, it's harder to sell now.
Thanks for the info. Good price reference.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 17, 2003
8993 posts
1532 upvotes
Optimusx wrote: Got to love Toronto's diversity....R1lee you describe it like that I might not even look at the mirror again..lol.
Only the truth brother. I get ignored all the time to. I'm sure people find Asians cheapo's.
Jun 2, 2003
299 posts
5 upvotes
North York
Any experience with Mirrycle Road Mirror for STI Levers ? or suggestion for road bike mirror?

thanks
Deal Expert
Mar 6, 2003
19712 posts
13576 upvotes
Ottawa
the mirrycle only works with some types of sti levers

I have used on bike mirrors and helmet mirrors, I prefer head mounted mirrors. I used to use something like this which clipped to glasses/sunglasses http://www.mec.ca/product/5013-612/bike ... =2#reviews

I didn't like having a on-bike mirror, it got in the way when trying to transport the bike or catches on things, and they vibrate over bumps making it harder to see.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 21, 2004
8687 posts
1542 upvotes
Hope everyone gets out for a ride today. Weather is simply amazing. Did my usual Gatineau loop around 8 this morning. Tons of people. Really sad that my gopro ran out of power as I would've had some awesome footage of a skateboarder coming down Col de Black. By the time I got back to the Gamelin lot, it was completely full including the non marked shoulders AND there were 2 cars waiting in queue for a spot!

Also, 2 people with Chariots. Omg. Can't imagine climbing up Pink with an extra 50-100lbs... Tempted to try it next year but not sure about the descent.
Sep 8, 2010
271 posts
7 upvotes
Toronto
Stock R wrote: Hope everyone gets out for a ride today. Weather is simply amazing. Did my usual Gatineau loop around 8 this morning. Tons of people. Really sad that my gopro ran out of power as I would've had some awesome footage of a skateboarder coming down Col de Black. By the time I got back to the Gamelin lot, it was completely full including the non marked shoulders AND there were 2 cars waiting in queue for a spot!

Also, 2 people with Chariots. Omg. Can't imagine climbing up Pink with an extra 50-100lbs... Tempted to try it next year but not sure about the descent.
Yep it was absolutely beautiful weather in Toronto as well. R1lee and I were on the bikes by 8 and we got a good ride in.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 14, 2006
6553 posts
605 upvotes
Toronto
Optimusx wrote: Yep it was absolutely beautiful weather in Toronto as well. R1lee and I were on the bikes by 8 and we got a good ride in.

Went to a wedding last night. Major hangover. But the sun is calling and maybe I'll get out a quick, easy ride later.
RFD + ME = POOR
Deal Expert
Aug 18, 2005
21223 posts
5939 upvotes
Burlington-Hamilton
Urgh... was planning on going riding today but I'm feeling not well at all. :mad:
Deal Addict
Jul 4, 2006
1006 posts
20 upvotes
Ottawa
r1lee wrote: For sale.

Sram red 2012 10spd group
Gxp bb - new
Crank 172.5 compact gxp - only had for 2 weeks. Ridden twice. Rest of group has about 500km on it.
Red shifters
Red xg1090 11-25 cassette
Red front derailleur yaw
Red rear derailleur
Red chain

Only thing missing are the brakes.
Asking $1100 obo.
Too bad I'm done my build.
That group will make any bike 15lbs with decent wheels.
Deal Addict
Jul 4, 2006
1006 posts
20 upvotes
Ottawa
warpdrive wrote: the mirrycle only works with some types of sti levers

I have used on bike mirrors and helmet mirrors, I prefer head mounted mirrors. I used to use something like this which clipped to glasses/sunglasses http://www.mec.ca/product/5013-612/bike ... =2#reviews

I didn't like having a on-bike mirror, it got in the way when trying to transport the bike or catches on things, and they vibrate over bumps making it harder to see.
Used to use one that plugged into the drop bar end when I commuted.
Deal Addict
Oct 27, 2007
2938 posts
97 upvotes
Vancouver
Overcast skies in Vancouver today. Did 120km with 1700m elevation. Ready for the GranFondo!
Deal Expert
Aug 18, 2005
21223 posts
5939 upvotes
Burlington-Hamilton
Jucius Maximus wrote: Urgh... was planning on going riding today but I'm feeling not well at all. :mad:
Well I started feeling a little better this evening and went out, trying Strava (Android) for the first time. Pretty cool app! I love how it tracks the exact route and gives you your average km/h only based on when you're moving.
- casual gastronomist -
Deal Fanatic
Jan 14, 2006
6553 posts
605 upvotes
Toronto
Jucius Maximus wrote: Well I started feeling a little better this evening and went out, trying Strava (Android) for the first time. Pretty cool app! I love how it tracks the exact route and gives you your average km/h only based on when you're moving.
Join the RFD Group on Strava!
RFD + ME = POOR
Sep 28, 2008
11 posts
2 upvotes
Currently have a set of P SLR 1 non aero wheels and thinking of picking up a set of the Aero version. I see a couple of people have them here and wondering if you have any feedback? Also, any recommendations on where to buy? I might be better waiting till October for the bike show the upgrade....