Sports & Recreation

RFD Cycling Thread [OFFICIAL]

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 26th, 2024 2:07 pm
Deal Fanatic
Sep 21, 2004
8687 posts
1542 upvotes
warpdrive wrote: great price on your carbon wheels r1lee.

Stock, are you heading down to Toronto any time in the next month? I want some 55mm wheels.
I'm going next weekend. I have a wedding on Saturday but should be able to find time to get you wheels.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 17, 2003
8993 posts
1532 upvotes
Stock R wrote: I'm going next weekend. I have a wedding on Saturday but should be able to find time to get you wheels.
perfect, delivery of the bike is next wednesday/thursday.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 17, 2003
8993 posts
1532 upvotes
Stock R wrote: I'll let you and Warp arrange payment. I'd prefer to stay out of that part.

Will probably need you to come out to me in Thornhill area.
no big deal, thornhill is right where my parents live. If i'm unavailable to meet, Optimus has offered his delivery service haha.
Deal Addict
May 24, 2008
3488 posts
1531 upvotes
Toronto
r1lee wrote: you will need to go and check for yourself. Like i said before, i'm able to get prices for current year model which end up being much better then the sale for previous year models.
I'll PM you for more details, but you only mentioned Giant bikes earlier. Can you get good prices for other brands as well?

I found the Giant website severely lacking when it came to geometry measurements, so I'm not even sure if I'll fit properly on their bikes. I could always head to an LBS and check it out, but with two small kids I hardly ever have time, so I rely on measurements!
Deal Addict
Jul 4, 2006
1006 posts
20 upvotes
Ottawa
What 55mm wheels are these?
That's so deep. Almost too deep.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 17, 2003
8993 posts
1532 upvotes
ketsana wrote: What 55mm wheels are these?
That's so deep. Almost too deep.
Similar to the giant pslr1's that you had, but these are the 0's which are full carbon clinchers and very blacked out graphics.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 14, 2006
6553 posts
605 upvotes
Toronto
r1lee wrote: Similar to the giant pslr1's that you had, but these are the 0's which are full carbon clinchers and very blacked out graphics.
The 0s look really sweet... much stealthier than the 1s
RFD + ME = POOR
Deal Addict
Jul 4, 2006
1006 posts
20 upvotes
Ottawa
Nice. 50mm+ you should feel a difference.
Deal Expert
Mar 6, 2003
19712 posts
13576 upvotes
Ottawa
yes, I'm a bit nervous about having a 55mm rim for just casual riding but I'll probably keep a second set of rims around if the weather is extra gusty. The blacked out scheme should look fine on my Trek I think. I'm not sure if I need to keep the Zipp 30s now.
Deal Expert
Mar 6, 2003
19712 posts
13576 upvotes
Ottawa
bunnyfoo wrote: Quick question for those of you who've purchased from the online sites like PBK, Wiggle, Chain Reaction, etc... how often do you get hit with taxes/duties? I wanted to buy a new wheel set but wasn't sure how much extra I might end up paying.
Update: I got the rims I ordered from pbk, They came under 2 weeks, the value for duty was $271GBP, but for some reason they assessed it as $298 CAD (they converted from USD instead of GBP lol) and I paid HST + $10, no duty

I haven't put them on my wife's bike but they look pretty awesome if you're looking for aero rims, they aren't super light but about as light as a comparable box profile rim in the same price range.
Deal Addict
Jul 4, 2006
1006 posts
20 upvotes
Ottawa
I would sell the zipp 30s now while they are less than 2 months old and take a slight loss. You must have less than 500k on those things.
Deal Addict
Feb 10, 2006
2652 posts
587 upvotes
Kitchener
So I finally picked up my P2 and since it is my first tri bike I think I need a lot of seat time to get used to it. Being aero certainly hits a different part of my body compared to my rode bike (no aero bars). My question is about fit. Would you recommend getting the bike fit now or wait for a bit to get used to it (nothing will likely feel overly comfortable now). Also has anyone tried the Guru fit system, and if so would you recommend it over the traditional method?
Tired of renting from Reliance? This might be useful reliance-home-comfort-2464779/2/#p34473179
Deal Fanatic
Sep 21, 2004
8687 posts
1542 upvotes
Ride it first so you get use to the idea. Rising aero is very different. Then you can target how your fit will be. No amount of adjusting will help your neck discomfort if what you need is to just strengthen those muscles.

Remember the geometry of the bike is different and so is the fit from a road bike. The measurements aren't transferable.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 11, 2004
5317 posts
3943 upvotes
Milton, ON.
Good to all doing TdH tomorrow. See you in the 35-39 section. Be safe get back for keg tapping haha. Say hi to guy on giant in rudy green helmet.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 11, 2004
5317 posts
3943 upvotes
Milton, ON.
Well and so im back from the race / ride and from emergency room.... more on that later.
It was the usual TdH in that its well orgenized, staged, major intersections patrolled etc. We lined up with 40+ and took off rather fast, too fast for me to hold on and quickly a group was formed at 37ave kmph. This also usually means there will be people that r just trying took hold on and serve all over. At about 20km in or so it happened. A guy in front of me serves and drops the break hard. I could not react in time and next thing I know my wheel his casette me over my bike couple guys over me. Helmet saved my head but not my face. Glasses doug into my eyebrow deep cuts. Long story short stitches on my face with some road rush and very sore all over. Not fun and not pretty. Home now resting.
Question... How do I aid with healing of the road rush? Polisporin and leave uncovered or what? No experience in the son vs asphalt department what so ever.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)