Automotive

The RFD elite : the 300,000km+ car club.

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 8th, 2018 2:38 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Apr 30, 2015
1096 posts
341 upvotes
SaskBerta
LeisureSuitL wrote:
Feb 7th, 2018 11:02 am
That's quite an amazing feat for a Chev...
Not really. Pretty common in Western Canada.
My GMC truck has 475,000 on it.
Deal Addict
Nov 1, 2007
3144 posts
356 upvotes
GTA
I love this thread.

My 07 Mazda 3 is at 220k. I only drive 12-15k a year, so maybe in 7 years I can actually contribute with a pic :)
Koodo $49 - Unlimited Talk + Text + 6GB x3
Koodo $25 - Unlimited Talk + Text
Fido $19 - 200 Mins Talk + Unlimited E/W after 6PM + Unlimited International Text

AMEX Biz Plat 75K
AMEX Biz Gold 40K
Deal Expert
Apr 21, 2004
44823 posts
11537 upvotes
I wonder how much people have paid to maintain their vehicles and when they took ownership. :)

Still depreciation is the worst offender for most of us so driving into the ground (until a major repair is required) is really the best for most, financial-wise.
Deal Addict
Jul 30, 2010
1592 posts
218 upvotes
alanbrenton wrote:
Feb 7th, 2018 12:13 pm
I wonder how much people have paid to maintain their vehicles and when they took ownership. :)

Still depreciation is the worst offender for most of us so driving into the ground (until a major repair is required) is really the best for most, financial-wise.
Bought my 2001 Toyota Echo at 210,000 kms, it is now at 310,000. Aside from regular oil and filter changes, I have only had to replace the driver side CV axle and cut out the catalytic converter. I ended up replacing the exhaust manifold gasket as well, but that was simply troubleshooting the code for the catalytic converter problem.

Brake job is coming up though...
Nov 19, 2006
75 posts
24 upvotes
Niagara
alanbrenton wrote:

I bought my car in July of 2009 brand new. So far other than brakes, tires, air/cabin filters, and synthetic oil changes every 12k my expenses have been a set of spark plugs at 190k, belt at 260k, and 2 shifter cables (for some reason they start to freeze in the winter when it gets really cold). Still on the original battery too.

Car was built in Mexico as well!
Deal Addict
Apr 30, 2015
1096 posts
341 upvotes
SaskBerta
alanbrenton wrote:

Yeah. This is definitely the case.

My 2001 Marquis I took ownership at 126,000km. Written off at 301,000
AC Compressor + Orifice tube
changed pads twice
Serpentine Belt
fuel filter
EDIT: Forgot, water pump + alternator. This was done at 296,000. Added to my settlement luckily :)
It was on the verge of needing a starter when it got written off.

That's it outside of tires, wipers, oil changes.

1993 Grand Marquis (this car has been great to me! Bought it as a beater a few years ago in dire financial circumstances to get me to and from work.)
Bought at 380,000 now somewhere around 550,000.
Pads + rotors
brake line replacement
headlight switch
battery
wheel bearing/hubs
E-brake assembly

Other than that it's still running. Transmission slips occasionally. Sits around more than anything.

2006 Lincoln Town Car Long wheelbase
Bought at 298,000 Now at 338,000
Previous owner advised that transmission was rebuilt. Rear airbags replaced and most of the front suspension redone. Had all receipts for said work too. I bought it needing valve cover gaskets + intake manifold.
Valve cover gaskets + intake manifold.
Blend door actuator for passenger side.

That's it so far.

GMC K/V 2500 Turbodiesel 1994 - bought at 401,900 - now at 475,000
Transmission cooler lines.
Needs the starter replaced. Buying it today, installing it tomorrow. Went out last week.

I have a more documented list of costs + repairs I keep for every vehicle.

Sometimes a vehicle is worth more as a vehicle than monetary value though for sure. ie: Even though its a car only worth 1k. Sometimes an 800$ repair is worth it if it's reliable. As you're not going to be able to sell + buy another vehicle for that. If it's reliable. (Sure you know this with your Civic :) ).

How's your Civic been on repairs? Their's a guy I work with at 700,000km on his 90's Accord.

I tend to buy well taken care of, high mileage vehicles even though I don't need to. Being able to repair it myself is the main reason it's cost-effective.
My other issue is theirs nothing newish that I'm really interested in. I don't like all the driver-nannies. I like something basic but comfortable.
Last edited by CanadaMaple on Feb 7th, 2018 1:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Expert
Apr 21, 2004
44823 posts
11537 upvotes
Yes, most of the major repairs were under warranty and related to suspension.

2002 Civic DX 5 M/T 263k km Now just a short distance daily driver though. Bought in 2003 with around 26k km.

Issues:
2003 -- suspension when i bought it used and suspension again (2008 or 9) before the 7 year Honda Plus was up
2009/10 -- broken sunvisor that I was able to fix by using elastic bands
2009/10 -- broken gasoline door opening cable - I just touch it lightly to open (ala luxury cars) and close it like any other car's.
2009/10 --broken trunk release cable - I just use the key to pop the trunk open
2010/11 -- a/c clutch wouldn't engage so no cool air - T-Lex / Basil replaced one of the two components ( I was told for Honda the two parts were sold separately but for Toyota they would have been a set) and I was able to look up online that a shim was all that was required and Basil confirmed it worked lol. I think that one component was replaced because the magnetic field was weaker on the existing component.

major maintenance - replaced timing belt and water pump at around 100k and I think replaced the spark plugs too

Now I just do my filter changes, oil changes, and spark plug changes and I might have to do a coolant flush eventually lol.
Aug 9, 2015
256 posts
103 upvotes
My winter beater 97 Toyota Rav4 has 330k. Only expensive item I had to replace was the clutch @ 245k (original clutch). Last time the timing belt was done was at 145k. I checked the belt out before winter and no signs of cracks. Not an IE so not sweating it, I'll replace it when it goes. I would drive across Canada today in this thing without a second thought. It's an absolute tank in every sense.

Also have a 99 F150 4.6 with 445k, original engine/tranny. In the last 5 years I've only replaced thermostat and brakes.
But at what cost
Deal Expert
Oct 13, 2009
18672 posts
6851 upvotes
Iqaluit, NU
CanadaMaple wrote:
Feb 7th, 2018 1:59 pm
Yeah. This is definitely the case.

My 2001 Marquis I took ownership at 126,000km. Written off at 301,000
AC Compressor + Orifice tube
changed pads twice
Serpentine Belt
fuel filter
EDIT: Forgot, water pump + alternator. This was done at 296,000. Added to my settlement luckily :)
It was on the verge of needing a starter when it got written off.

That's it outside of tires, wipers, oil changes.

1993 Grand Marquis (this car has been great to me! Bought it as a beater a few years ago in dire financial circumstances to get me to and from work.)
Bought at 380,000 now somewhere around 550,000.
Pads + rotors
brake line replacement
headlight switch
battery
wheel bearing/hubs
E-brake assembly

Other than that it's still running. Transmission slips occasionally. Sits around more than anything.

2006 Lincoln Town Car Long wheelbase
Bought at 298,000 Now at 338,000
Previous owner advised that transmission was rebuilt. Rear airbags replaced and most of the front suspension redone. Had all receipts for said work too. I bought it needing valve cover gaskets + intake manifold.
Valve cover gaskets + intake manifold.
Blend door actuator for passenger side.

That's it so far.

GMC K/V 2500 Turbodiesel 1994 - bought at 401,900 - now at 475,000
Transmission cooler lines.
Needs the starter replaced. Buying it today, installing it tomorrow. Went out last week.

I have a more documented list of costs + repairs I keep for every vehicle.

Sometimes a vehicle is worth more as a vehicle than monetary value though for sure. ie: Even though its a car only worth 1k. Sometimes an 800$ repair is worth it if it's reliable. As you're not going to be able to sell + buy another vehicle for that. If it's reliable. (Sure you know this with your Civic :) ).

How's your Civic been on repairs? Their's a guy I work with at 700,000km on his 90's Accord.

I tend to buy well taken care of, high mileage vehicles even though I don't need to. Being able to repair it myself is the main reason it's cost-effective.
My other issue is theirs nothing newish that I'm really interested in. I don't like all the driver-nannies. I like something basic but comfortable.
Baller azz
deleted to keep the site family friendly. Was about copping sick fadez.
Well there's no sick fadez left to be copped now that the regimen cannot be admired in all its glory
RIP sick fadez.
Dec 17, 2009
94 posts
12 upvotes
My 2005 Toyota Matrix Hit 310,000.
Although the damn odometer is stuck 299,999! I was so excited to see 300,000 but Toyota trolled me! Its mostly highway driving.

Other than oil changes, tires and brakes, I've had one seized calipers, Serpentine belt and water pump replacement. Seriously, Thinking about it, i haven't changed the battery... which kind of explains some things. LOL!
5W30 Oil changes every 10k... I want a new car!
RIP GOD
May 21, 2009
16 posts
18 upvotes
Canada
hgroovy wrote:
Feb 7th, 2018 7:43 pm
My 2005 Toyota Matrix Hit 310,000.
Although the damn odometer is stuck 299,999! I was so excited to see 300,000 but Toyota trolled me! Its mostly highway driving.
My 03 Corolla was the same way, stuck at 299,999. It was a digital odometer, so no excuse why it got stuck. Did manage to get Toyota to replace the odometer with only the labour charge after a lot of hassle.

What made me really mad was hearing about a used 2002 Corolla that had 999,999 Kms displayed on the odometer (https://www.theglobeandmail.com/globe-d ... e23831205/).

Why would the 8th generation Corolla odometer be able to display past 299,999 with no issue but not the 9th gen? Makes no sense. And get this, the replacement odometer will have the same problem, lol. Managed to put another 70,000 before selling it.
Dec 31, 2007
83 posts
4 upvotes
Vancouver
My dd/winter beater '97 Infiniti I30 (basically, a Nissan Maxima) is at ~383,300 kms currently. All city kms. Original engine and transmission. If it weren't for me lowering the damn car and the crappy roads here the suspension wouldn't need to be refreshed so much. Steering rack is tired, rust is creeping in and the usual oil leak but keeps on going. Damn reliable. Most expensive repair was the A/C compressor.
Deal Addict
Apr 30, 2015
1096 posts
341 upvotes
SaskBerta
Finally replaced the starter on my truck yesterday. Had to replace the battery terminal connectors as well. Converted it from side mount to top mount while I was at it.

Now at 475,761

[OP]
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2004
38646 posts
3291 upvotes
T.O. Lotto Captain
CanadaMaple wrote:
Feb 11th, 2018 10:04 pm
Finally replaced the starter on my truck yesterday. Had to replace the battery terminal connectors as well. Converted it from side mount to top mount while I was at it.

Now at 475,761

What kinda truck? Was it the ford expedition?