None
Deal Fanatic
Jul 4, 2004
7366 posts
617 upvotes
Toronto
homiek33 wrote:
May 5th, 2012 2:20 pm
I see. Thanks for this. i guess I will just fork over my credit card info. i want to get a sense of the costs.

All my items are duty free (personal items I am shipping to myself). Any brokerage fees or other hidden fees I should be aware of? and what about insurance?

Thanks again!

Your items are taxed and dutied the same way if you're shipping to yourself as if someone else was shipping them to you. You are, one way or the other, still bringing the goods across an international border.
May 3, 2012
3 posts
TORONTO
i just signed up, no matter what i try to quote, i get the following error:

"No rates were found for this shipment."

i changed the date, size, weight, insurance... still the same error.

Is it because I just signed up? do they have to process something on their end?

thanks again

update: now it works but only purolator shows. what about the others?

Update 2: I called them up, they said I should have received an email instructing me to call them to activate UPS. I did not. Anyways, all is well. UPS is crazy cheap!
Deal Addict
May 26, 2011
1801 posts
467 upvotes
Vancouver
PianoGuy wrote:
Apr 6th, 2012 9:22 am
I did a shipment last week. This time I took photos of a ruler next to the parcel, and of the parcel on my scale. I rounded everything up. If they try to slap me with an "adjustment" they're going to be sorry.
In case anyone's curious how this turned out...

April 6 - Send a package with a quote of $7.70.
April 16 - Receive an invoice for $17.81. Ask for explanation.
April 16 - They claim that the package's dimensional weight is bigger than I stated, ($0.30+tax) and the address was wrong ($8.70+tax).
April 17 - Dimensional weight, as verified by my photos: 16 x 11 x 8.5 = 1496/166 = 9.01 lbs. I rounded up and entered 16 x 11 x 9 (9.54 lbs dwt) and eShipper further rounded up and sent 10 lbs dwt to UPS. I was audited for 16.8 x 11.8 x 8.8 and billed for 17 x 12 x 9 (11.06 lbs dwt).
April 17 - Receive "corrected" address. It is the same as the address I supplied.
April 17 - Request credits.
May 10 - No response yet.
May 10 - call UPS, they agree that the charges are bogus, but need to speak to eShipper directly.
May 10 - Email eShipper again; they agree to contact UPS.
May 11 - eShipper credits $8.70 of the $10.11 bogus charges.
May 14 - Request additional credits.
May 15 - eShipper credits an additional $1.04.
May 15 - Decide the remaining $0.37 is not worth bitching about, pay this, and also decide that eShipper is not worth the time I'm spending on it.
Deal Addict
Feb 26, 2006
2284 posts
343 upvotes
Ottawa
PianoGuy wrote:
May 15th, 2012 11:31 am
In case anyone's curious how this turned out...

April 6 - Send a package with a quote of $7.70.
April 16 - Receive an invoice for $17.81. Ask for explanation.
April 16 - They claim that the package's dimensional weight is bigger than I stated, ($0.30+tax) and the address was wrong ($8.70+tax).
April 17 - Dimensional weight, as verified by my photos: 16 x 11 x 8.5 = 1496/166 = 9.01 lbs. I rounded up and entered 16 x 11 x 9 (9.54 lbs dwt) and eShipper further rounded up and sent 10 lbs dwt to UPS. I was audited for 16.8 x 11.8 x 8.8 and billed for 17 x 12 x 9 (11.06 lbs dwt).
April 17 - Receive "corrected" address. It is the same as the address I supplied.
April 17 - Request credits.
May 10 - No response yet.
May 10 - call UPS, they agree that the charges are bogus, but need to speak to eShipper directly.
May 10 - Email eShipper again; they agree to contact UPS.
May 11 - eShipper credits $8.70 of the $10.11 bogus charges.
May 14 - Request additional credits.
May 15 - eShipper credits an additional $1.04.
May 15 - Decide the remaining $0.37 is not worth bitching about, pay this, and also decide that eShipper is not worth the time I'm spending on it.

So is this kinda stuff happening all the time now? they've become a scam?
May 3, 2006
921 posts
4 upvotes
Markham
By just looking at information here I was confused. :confused:

I plan to ship items to Europe like to Italy / France.
Average weight is around 3 lbs, not big big box, may be around 12 inch x 12 inch x 4 inch.
Can anyone tell me which carrier prices reasonable & dependable please?

Thank you very much. :)
Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD3H
Intel Core i5 3570K
2 x 8GB Patriot Intel Extreme Masters PC3-12800
Intel 335 series 240GB SSD, 3 x Seagate Barracuda 4TB SATA3
Deal Addict
Jun 5, 2004
1769 posts
97 upvotes
Shipping to Italy? Good luck having it delivered. :D
Nov 24, 2007
459 posts
35 upvotes
We have stopped using E-Shipper for the most part. We signed up with Canpar last December and they've beaten E-Shipper on almost all rates. At the time the savings in a few areas were marginal, but now that E-Shipper upped their rates this year and increased the res surcharge, the difference is more noticeable.

If you ship a lot (40+ packages a week), it will likely be worth your while to call them to see if they can beat E-Shipper.
Penalty Box
Nov 2, 2011
849 posts
227 upvotes
Toronto
how do you compete with u.s companies since the shipping is half of what it is here?
Feb 6, 2005
157 posts
23 upvotes
My card number was stolen. This card number is only used by eshipper. I guess soneone hacked into their card number database.
Now I can't even put in a new card number.
Anyone has the same issue?
Deal Expert
Jun 3, 2005
28001 posts
935 upvotes
Dildo, NL
I need to bring a galaxy tablet from NY.

UPS from the sellers side is charging $25, not sure what level., regular?

From eShipper, I only see the coloured eshipper quotes. If I recall correctly, those are subcontracted to UPS? and correspond to UPS's levels of service? I see regular $25 on my end.

Has anything changed vis-a-vis brokerage 80% of value criminal levies or is it safe and should I dare to buy the waybill myself and have him mail it to me thru that? I was shocked to learn that USPS is still on par $25 for the same package to come to me, but instead of 2-3 buisness days takes 6-10 :( . So sad.
unlim national, unlim Global SMS, CD/VM, 8Gb of Blazing Fast LTE $45
PC Plus Tally: $2480 [Yota Mafia] Ebates 2017 Tally: $39.74, Late to da game
100% BST & Heatware Trader since 2005
Photobucket, Suck a Big Fat Stinkin'...
Deal Addict
Feb 26, 2006
2284 posts
343 upvotes
Ottawa
Bubble
UPS ground, the cheapest one will cost you extra 40+ brokerage. Usps, will not. Unless you drive to ogdensburg. You're paying brokerage, or waiting for usps
bubble.tea wrote:
Jun 5th, 2012 12:31 am
I need to bring a galaxy tablet from NY.

UPS from the sellers side is charging $25, not sure what level., regular?

From eShipper, I only see the coloured eshipper quotes. If I recall correctly, those are subcontracted to UPS? and correspond to UPS's levels of service? I see regular $25 on my end.

Has anything changed vis-a-vis brokerage 80% of value criminal levies or is it safe and should I dare to buy the waybill myself and have him mail it to me thru that? I was shocked to learn that USPS is still on par $25 for the same package to come to me, but instead of 2-3 buisness days takes 6-10 :( . So sad.
Deal Addict
May 26, 2011
1801 posts
467 upvotes
Vancouver
tzm_oasis wrote:
Jun 1st, 2012 8:34 am
My card number was stolen. This card number is only used by eshipper.
Mine was stolen in early March. However, I use my credit card for many purposes so I can't say that the number was obtained from eShipper. May I ask how you knew how your card was stolen? Did you notice a bogus charge, and if so, who was it from? Mine was from a software company in Germany.
Deal Addict
May 26, 2011
1801 posts
467 upvotes
Vancouver
FedEx is back. eShipper has made their system harder to understand. When you prepare a shipment and inspect the rates, eShipper in purple is FedEx. eShipper in red is UPS.
Deal Addict
Jun 5, 2004
1769 posts
97 upvotes
Does anyone use the Schedule Pickup on the rates page? I want to try using it for Purolator but not sure if it will cost money.
Nov 24, 2007
459 posts
35 upvotes
excel wrote:
Jun 22nd, 2012 5:32 pm
Does anyone use the Schedule Pickup on the rates page? I want to try using it for Purolator but not sure if it will cost money.
I just schedule the pickup directly on Purolator.ca, no charge.