Entrepreneurship & Small Business

RFD Exclusive: Discount Purolator, FedEx, DHL Shipping for Small Businesses

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 11th, 2017 9:54 am
Tags:
None
Feb 27, 2015
1 posts
I typically ship items domestically in Canada using Canada Post through Paypal and picking the service Expedited Parcel as it's actually a little bit cheaper than Regular Parcel. When I do this I'm getting between 8-18% off the counter prices, tracking included, up to $100 in insurance, and the guarantee it will be delivered within usually 7 business days. Typically it arrives in 2-5 business days though.

If I use E-Shipper will I get cheaper, or better service than that?
Deal Addict
Mar 13, 2003
2759 posts
301 upvotes
cheaterdragon1 wrote:
Feb 28th, 2015 1:42 pm
I typically ship items domestically in Canada using Canada Post through Paypal and picking the service Expedited Parcel as it's actually a little bit cheaper than Regular Parcel. When I do this I'm getting between 8-18% off the counter prices, tracking included, up to $100 in insurance, and the guarantee it will be delivered within usually 7 business days. Typically it arrives in 2-5 business days though.

If I use E-Shipper will I get cheaper, or better service than that?
netParcel's rates are better than eShipper's these days, and it's a much easier to use platform.

It's free to sign up, why not have a look and compare rates? It's hard to say what's the best for everyone's situation--different destinations, weights, etc.

To compare features though...UPS Standard as an example: includes way better tracking than Canada Post's junk, $100 insurance (same), usually 2-3 days faster than CP, and they pickup from your front door for free.
Deal Addict
May 26, 2011
1784 posts
457 upvotes
netParcel's rates went up :( Now it's comparable to eShipper.
Deal Addict
Mar 13, 2003
2759 posts
301 upvotes
PianoGuy wrote:
Mar 6th, 2015 12:52 pm
netParcel's rates went up :( Now it's comparable to eShipper.
Yeah, I've noticed that as well. I always cross compare the rates, netParcel is still usually cheaper though. If nothing else, netParcel is WAY easier to use
Deal Addict
Jul 30, 2003
1546 posts
64 upvotes
Toronto
I used netparcel to ship an item last month. I quoted and paid for the charge. Today I receive an invoice indicating the shipping charge has doubled and I am responsible for the remaining balance. Does anyone have encounter similar problems with this company? Are shipping companies legally allow to charge extra without the customer's consent? We are talking about an extra $35 on top of $35 to ship an item that is about the size of a hand with a value <$25.
Deal Addict
Mar 13, 2003
2759 posts
301 upvotes
zero_ wrote:
Mar 21st, 2015 7:23 pm
I used netparcel to ship an item last month. I quoted and paid for the charge. Today I receive an invoice indicating the shipping charge has doubled and I am responsible for the remaining balance. Does anyone have encounter similar problems with this company? Are shipping companies legally allow to charge extra without the customer's consent? We are talking about an extra $35 on top of $35 to ship an item that is about the size of a hand with a value <$25.
Adjustments are typical for all shipping methods. Yes, you are obligated to pay them. I suppose you could refuse, but you'd be sent to collections and banned from their service.

Adjustments of that size normally mean you failed to measure the package or weight properly. FedEx, for example, charges a $10 penalty on top of the adjustment if it looks like you did it intentionally.

I ship mostly directly with UPS now, and they adjust virtually all of my shipments.
Deal Guru
Nov 2, 2003
14816 posts
788 upvotes
Scarborough
oneseasonleft wrote:
Jan 6th, 2014 12:39 pm
i guess the OP is just advertising his/her business (E-shipper)
orangeranger wrote:
Nov 4th, 2014 2:05 am
Haha, it does sounds like it.
you n00bs have no idea what you're talking about or who Derek is... lol
MOONBOX REPLACEMENT:IPTV Group Buy
Deal Addict
Jul 30, 2003
1546 posts
64 upvotes
Toronto
scouzer wrote:
Mar 21st, 2015 7:40 pm
Adjustments are typical for all shipping methods. Yes, you are obligated to pay them. I suppose you could refuse, but you'd be sent to collections and banned from their service.

Adjustments of that size normally mean you failed to measure the package or weight properly. FedEx, for example, charges a $10 penalty on top of the adjustment if it looks like you did it intentionally.

I ship mostly directly with UPS now, and they adjust virtually all of my shipments.
Well the size of the actual item is smaller and lighter than the item I got a quote for. The final price is now the same as Canada Post. Perhaps I should have used canadapost instead of netparcel, since it represents no savings at all.
Deal Addict
Mar 13, 2003
2759 posts
301 upvotes
zero_ wrote:
Mar 21st, 2015 10:24 pm
Well the size of the actual item is smaller and lighter than the item I got a quote for. The final price is now the same as Canada Post. Perhaps I should have used canadapost instead of netparcel, since it represents no savings at all.
Hey, fill your boots. All netParcel does is pass on the carrier adjustment to you. The carrier (normally) only adjusts the shipment's cost if you made a mistake in your measurements.

You will have the same experience from any courier.

The only reason this isn't the case at Canada Post is they will refuse up front to take a parcel if you've measured it wrong. The couriers will take it anyway and adjust it later.
Apr 27, 2009
181 posts
19 upvotes
Maritimes
scouzer wrote:
Mar 23rd, 2015 12:28 am
Hey, fill your boots. All netParcel does is pass on the carrier adjustment to you. The carrier (normally) only adjusts the shipment's cost if you made a mistake in your measurements.

You will have the same experience from any courier.

The only reason this isn't the case at Canada Post is they will refuse up front to take a parcel if you've measured it wrong. The couriers will take it anyway and adjust it later.
It's not about 'mistakes'. Netparcel is the same company as eShipper, which is notorious for adding on extra charges after the fact. Not sure if these are eshipper/Netparcel charges or if they're passing along charges from the couriers they contract with. Fedex, for example, will not stick to its online quotes. The online quotes are simply estimates. I gave them exact measurements and tried to get them to stick to a quote on the phone but they couldn't do it, claiming there could be unpredictable circumstances. They said they wouldn't know the final price until it got to its destination.
Deal Addict
Mar 13, 2003
2759 posts
301 upvotes
noahboady wrote:
Mar 23rd, 2015 10:27 am
It's not about 'mistakes'. Netparcel is the same company as eShipper, which is notorious for adding on extra charges after the fact. Not sure if these are eshipper/Netparcel charges or if they're passing along charges from the couriers they contract with. Fedex, for example, will not stick to its online quotes. The online quotes are simply estimates. I gave them exact measurements and tried to get them to stick to a quote on the phone but they couldn't do it, claiming there could be unpredictable circumstances. They said they wouldn't know the final price until it got to its destination.
/shrug. I have the same experience with eShipper, netParcel, UPS and FedEx with after-shipment-adjustments. I wouldn't really blame any company in particular.

I have never been charged an adjustment on any platform that wasn't my fault (wrong dimensions or weight)
Apr 27, 2009
181 posts
19 upvotes
Maritimes
scouzer wrote:
Mar 23rd, 2015 11:20 am
/shrug. I have the same experience with eShipper, netParcel, UPS and FedEx with after-shipment-adjustments. I wouldn't really blame any company in particular.

I have never been charged an adjustment on any platform that wasn't my fault (wrong dimensions or weight)
The outlier is Canada Post. They only make adjustments when your dimensions really are wrong. They don't add on extra charges arbitrarily and regularly like the couriers. So you always know what the final cost is going to be before you pay them.
Deal Addict
Mar 13, 2003
2759 posts
301 upvotes
noahboady wrote:
Mar 23rd, 2015 11:28 am
The outlier is Canada Post. They only make adjustments when your dimensions really are wrong. They don't add on extra charges arbitrarily and regularly like the couriers. So you always know what the final cost is going to be before you pay them.
Perhaps. I think it's less altruistic than it sounds, however. I don't think CP has the technology to support the type of adjustments the couriers do.

For example, Fedex scans the size and weight of EVERY package processed in Memphis using lasers and scales. If any package is wrong (even by half an inch) they adjust the bill automatically.

I really don't think CP has that technology.

Personally, I can't stand when merchants ship with CP. I have to go stand in a long line at the post office because they won't bring it to the door. All told it takes me 45 minutes to go to the post office, wait in line, load my truck (I receive dozens of parcels) and go home and unload.

UPS comes at the same time everyday and leaves it on my step if I'm not home. It's also so much faster, it's 6 days from Toronto for CP Expedited and 3 days for UPS Standard.
Deal Addict
Jun 5, 2004
1720 posts
73 upvotes
I used eshipper for 3 years and never got charged adjustments.