• Last Updated:
  • Oct 5th, 2017 10:30 am
[OP]
Aug 6, 2012
84 posts
43 upvotes
BURLINGTON

The RFD fragrance discussion thread

Inspired by the recent Creed Aventus deal thread, which inspired many of us (myself included) to get into the wide world of fragrance for the first time, I figured we could use this thread as a hub of discussion.

Reviews, deals, advice, general fragrance discussion, hell maybe even decants/swaps or bottle splits. Let's carry on the conversation.
Last edited by overclock on Aug 26th, 2016 11:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
147 replies
Deal Addict
Jun 10, 2011
3666 posts
947 upvotes
hmmm better change it to "the RFD fragrance discussion" :/

I don't see why you would mention a competitor
[OP]
Aug 6, 2012
84 posts
43 upvotes
BURLINGTON
def47 wrote:
Aug 26th, 2016 11:47 pm
hmmm better change it to "the RFD fragrance discussion" :/

I don't see why you would mention a competitor
Lol what a way to start... complete brain fart there! Sorry :)
[OP]
Aug 6, 2012
84 posts
43 upvotes
BURLINGTON
So to continue some of the discussion, here's what I've picked up and my initial impressions so far:

YSL L'Homme - Very fresh and simple; not huge projection or longevity; probably will be a go-to office scent for me
YSL Le Nuit De L'Homme - Wife loves it; awesome scent, decent project and longevity; more of a date night or night out scent
Spicebomb - Freaking love love love this one; I think it will be a signature scent for me. The projection is great, and the longevity seems fairly decent
D&G The One - Again, great scent; poor longevity. I could see wearing this one on any occasion.
Aventus - Huge huge longevity and projection; really unique and appealing scent; seems like an any occasion scent, but due to price, will probably reserve for special occasions
Bleu De Chanel - Really clean; good project and longevity; probably another go-to office scent
Terre D'Hermes - Wife not a huge fan, but I personally love the aroma; great projection and longevity. Probably a bit more of a formal scent, but I could see wearing to work too.

My near-future planned pickups:
Armani Code Profumo - I got a sample of this, and it's a beast. Very sweet, long lasting, and just really really good.
Dior Sauvage - I've heard really good things and it's made a lot of top 10 lists lately.
Armaf Club De Nuit - Since this is apparently the best Aventus clone, I'm eager to find a cheaper alternative for when my bottle runs out
D&G The One EDP - Supposed to perform better than the EDT version, which I love.
CH Man / Ch Man Prive - Made a lot of top 10 lists. Supposed to be really good.
Nov 22, 2009
274 posts
149 upvotes
I am still sour about not finding Aventus, however, the thread has vastly increased my fragrance knowledge.

My latest acquisitions include Terre D'Hermes which I absolutely love by the wife doesn't.

Returned the YSL La Nuit de l'homme today....I just didn't like it but the wife did. I think it's too weak for my liking.

Got Armaf club de la Nuit intense off of kijiji a few days ago and I absolutely love it. Some reviews online say it's better that Aventus itself. Not sure how true that is but I really love the smell.

Future acquisitions would be of course Aventus, Coolwater, Perry Ellis 360, Armaf Blanche, Eau de Baux(tom Ford Tobacco Vanille alternative) and Sauvage by Dior.
Last edited by sandlent on Aug 27th, 2016 1:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jul 20, 2007
973 posts
138 upvotes
Brampton
I think La Nuit De L'Homme makes a fantastic evening/date/going out scent like you mentioned. However, I discovered it has been reformulated and is worse than the original (ie. watered-down). Would like to own an original mixture. If all else fails, I'll purchase the 200ml refomulated version from fragrancebuy (site has the best price than anywhere else I`ve looked).
Nov 22, 2009
274 posts
149 upvotes
I'm very happy to have discovered the Terre D'Hermes. Just sprayed myself with it now before going to bed.
Dec 4, 2014
113 posts
47 upvotes
Pickering, ON
This is a great idea/thread overclock. Props to you! I've been on/off with collecting fragrances for the past 5-6 years so I have had my fair share of experience with both designer and niche frags. I think the starting point for most is the designer route as high fashion companies often do the best job of marketing their products in both tv spots and magazine ads. They provide a great platform to learn more about notes and what works on your skin generally, and in terms of building a collection, they are relatively affordable if purchased through the right avenues. The niche fragrances introduce you to a place where fragrances are usually created with much higher quality ingredients with a lot of them being oil based over alcohol based. Niche fragrances also tend to be far more complex in terms of the intricacies of certain notes. Sometimes, designer colognes can have a generic smell and it's easy to group a whole bunch into a specific category (ex. The Aqua Di Gio's of the cologne community). Niche fragrances can provide a much more unique experience with smaller batch creation and differences in production (this can be a possible negative as well). Above all, money talks and this is a big determinant for going either route. Designer fragrances are usually under 100$, while niche fragrances will be in the over 100$ category, but you are paying for the uniqueness, natural ingredients and overall quality. What's important is to determine what suits your lifestyle and budget, first and foremost, and also what kind of scent is going to be tailored to you as a person. People can rave about Creed Aventus, but it doesn't work on everyone. Find something that YOU like vs. opinions of what the internet says. I have a few frags that I absolutely love that are heavily bashed within the Frag community.
[OP]
Aug 6, 2012
84 posts
43 upvotes
BURLINGTON
speedy726 wrote:I think La Nuit De L'Homme makes a fantastic evening/date/going out scent like you mentioned. However, I discovered it has been reformulated and is worse than the original (ie. watered-down). Would like to own an original mixture. If all else fails, I'll purchase the 200ml refomulated version from fragrancebuy (site has the best price than anywhere else I`ve looked).
I heard that too. I've gotten decent performance out of it so far (3-4 hours); I wonder what the performance pre-reformulation was like.
BlackChiney8 wrote:This is a great idea/thread overclock. Props to you! I've been on/off with collecting fragrances for the past 5-6 years so I have had my fair share of experience with both designer and niche frags. I think the starting point for most is the designer route as high fashion companies often do the best job of marketing their products in both tv spots and magazine ads. They provide a great platform to learn more about notes and what works on your skin generally, and in terms of building a collection, they are relatively affordable if purchased through the right avenues. The niche fragrances introduce you to a place where fragrances are usually created with much higher quality ingredients with a lot of them being oil based over alcohol based. Niche fragrances also tend to be far more complex in terms of the intricacies of certain notes. Sometimes, designer colognes can have a generic smell and it's easy to group a whole bunch into a specific category (ex. The Aqua Di Gio's of the cologne community). Niche fragrances can provide a much more unique experience with smaller batch creation and differences in production (this can be a possible negative as well). Above all, money talks and this is a big determinant for going either route. Designer fragrances are usually under 100$, while niche fragrances will be in the over 100$ category, but you are paying for the uniqueness, natural ingredients and overall quality. What's important is to determine what suits your lifestyle and budget, first and foremost, and also what kind of scent is going to be tailored to you as a person. People can rave about Creed Aventus, but it doesn't work on everyone. Find something that YOU like vs. opinions of what the internet says. I have a few frags that I absolutely love that are heavily bashed within the Frag community.
Awesome! Glad to have an experienced person here. Care to give us a top 5 (somewhat affordable) niche fragrances? :)
Mar 7, 2011
14 posts
1 upvote
Nice thread topic idea!

I've been following the Advetus Creed @ Costco thread too and decided try a few new scent because of it.

So glad I went to Costco and picked up a D&G light blue, YSL day and night.

Also bought a Hermes and Dior Fahrenheit and brought them back to a refund. Just not my type of fragrance. I found them to be a older man's smell, like something I would smell in my dad's cologne collection as a kids growing up.

I picked up a D&G light blue which is a fresh citrus spring/summer smell. I think it similar to Aquia du Gio, but different which I why I kept it. Will be wearing D&G light blue and my Chanel blu during the warmer months for everyday wear then changing to YSL day for the fall and winter.

YSL night is my new favourite. Definitely a great night scent and makes me feel like I'm the best smelling man in the world. Lol.

Been hearing alot about spicebomb so it's next in my list of colognes to try along with Armaf club and Sauvage by Dior . Amazon sells Spice bomb for not much more then the Costco deal so I figured I'll get it later.

I have two cologne to trade or sell if anyone is interested.

Versace Eros EDT 100ml @ 80% full

Paco Rabanne 1 Million 200ml @ 90% full.

Both are very nice scents.

Anyone wanna trade?

Thanks for starting this thread.
Dec 4, 2014
113 posts
47 upvotes
Pickering, ON
No problem overclock. In terms of my top 5 niche fragrances (keep in mind that somewhat affordable can be taken with a grain of salt), I would have to say that I'm a big fan of Tom Ford, Creed and Byredo. As a rough list,

1) Tom Ford Tobacco Vanille - The name is pretty self explanatory as it is the perfect blend between pipe tobacco, vanilla and spicy cloves. I absolutely adore this fragrance and it is a complete beast in terms of projection and longevity. This is the type of fragrance you can apply in the morning and smell by late night.
2) Creed Aventus - Super hyped for good reason and not just because of the Costco thread. This fragrance is so well done in terms of introducing a fruity, but super masculine scent. I tend to enjoy the "DNA" within all Creed fragrances and I'm pretty sure it comes from the ambergris which is in them. It's like the cleanest and most soapy scent mixed with the high quality ingredients unique to each fragrance.
3) Byredo Bal D'Afrique - This is actually marketed as a women's fragrance but I feel it is 100% unisex. It is categorized as a floral with hints of orange flower and lemon, but there is a musk note that is very pronounced. This is why I say it can easily be identified as a unisex fragrance.
4) Creed Green Irish Tweed - Before Aventus, GIT was IT. This is a fragrance which is the standard for aquatics such as Cool Water by Davidoff and is one of the freshest smelling, most versatile scents on the market and it was made in 1985!
5) Creed Millisieme Imperial - This is my GO TO summer scent. It can most easily be described as a mix of watermelon and sea breeze. The big complaint about this frag though is it's longevity and overall performance. It is known as one of Creed's worst offerings in terms of longevity and projection.
Jul 20, 2007
973 posts
138 upvotes
Brampton
You guys have any suggestions for a gym scent?
Sep 30, 2001
26290 posts
5381 upvotes
Toronto
I wasn't too happy with the Terre D'Hermes. It just smells kind of odd to me. I ended up returning that bottle. Kind of a bummer because I was expecting more from such a prestige brand.
Don't talk about it, be about it
Dec 4, 2014
113 posts
47 upvotes
Pickering, ON
Terre D'Hermes is an acquired smell in my opinion. The composition of it is definitely unique and almost has a dirt or earthy vibe to it. I've heard that many who have started off hating it, began to absolutely love it with time. It's definitely not a "safe scent" and doesn't have the notes which often draw people in (ex are Versace Pour Homme, YSL L'Homme and La Nuit, DG The one.)

That's actually what I was going to discuss next are my top 5 designer fragrances.

1) Thierry Mugler Pure Malt and original AMen (I layer both together)
2) Bleu De Chanel
2) YSL La Nuit De L'Homme
4) Chanel Allure Homme Edition Blanche
5) Gucci Pour Homme II