• May 24th, 2017 4:41 am
Mar 7, 2011
14 posts
1 upvote
speedy726 wrote:
Sep 6th, 2016 12:16 pm
Has anyone tried this Canadian online frag site http://acegiftsplus.ca/
The site layout is a clone of fragrancebuy lol
Their prices are higher (a few dollars more than fragrancebuy depending on the frag), but they offer free shipping in Ontario
Never heard of it. I would rather buy from a more reputable source. If you buy let us know how it works out.
Dec 4, 2014
112 posts
34 upvotes
Pickering, ON
ruff6708 wrote:
Sep 6th, 2016 5:37 pm
Not really a scent aficionado but I do spend a bit of time in Duty Free shops between connections at airports. Just about every Tom Ford fragrance is amazing (except for Oud, yuck) - especially the Italian Riviera inspired ones, they really make you feel like you're actually there. I only own Kouros Silver by YSL (searched high and low but couldn't find it in Canada), its got some vetiver undertones that mix well with heavier, woodier base that is perfect for a night out. Looking to grab Midnight in Paris by Van Cleef and Arpels which is pretty cheap and comes in a .decor worthy bottle, or maybe I'll finally save up for that Tom Ford..
I own Tobacco Vanille and Tuscan Leather of the Tom Ford private blends. I was familiar with Tobacco Vanille previously and absolutely adore the scent for fall/winter time. Tuscan leather I recently "blind bought" after smelling samples in Holt/Harry Rosen. I think Tuscan Leather is a masterpiece and it is highly regarded within the fragrance community. In terms of the general public, it's super hit and miss. Some will love it but some will absolutely hate it. It's basically exactly what it's name states. Unrelenting leather and hints of raspberry and saffron in the background. Quite beautiful of a fragrance.
Dec 4, 2014
112 posts
34 upvotes
Pickering, ON
I have Chez Bond and New Haarlem by Bond 9. Chez Bond is similar to Green Irish Tweed by Creed. New Haarlem is my favourite from the house as it is arguably the best gourmand fragrance out there. Think of breakfast in the form of a cologne. It smells like maple syrup, pancakes and coffee. I get more of a cinnabon vibe but it's amazing.
Nov 22, 2009
217 posts
63 upvotes
BlackChiney8 wrote:
Sep 7th, 2016 3:28 pm
I have Chez Bond and New Haarlem by Bond 9. Chez Bond is similar to Green Irish Tweed by Creed. New Haarlem is my favourite from the house as it is arguably the best gourmand fragrance out there. Think of breakfast in the form of a cologne. It smells like maple syrup, pancakes and coffee. I get more of a cinnabon vibe but it's amazing.
Thanks for the info.
Jan 8, 2015
173 posts
44 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Glad to see this thread.

I have a general question about using fragrances which maybe you can answer. Given that different fragrances can react differently between people based on their body chemistry/biology, how do the regular soaps, bodywashes et al factor into the way a fragrance is perceived? While I don't think I generally use particularly strong body wash, can that affect the notes or impressions I get from a cologne? Is there an optimal timing that should be used between showering and application of the cologne?

Also as far as atomizers or decant bottles, I read somewhere that the Sephora ones are good for the money.

Currently cycling between Terre D'Hermes EDT, Voyage D'Hermes EDT, Mr. Burberry EDT, L'Occitane Verdon EDT, and soon the Creed Aventus. I picked it up today at Costco :)
May 11, 2009
183 posts
17 upvotes
Burlington
thanks for starting this thread! A relative newcomer to the world of designer fragrances. My current shelf has Polo Blue, Polo Red Intense, Mont Blanc Emblem, and recently added YSL L'Homme and Terre D'Hermes.

Have only had the pleasure of smelling a few from the house of Creed, Aventus & Millisieme Imperial. Loved them both, and will own them at some point, maybe when I go to Vegas next year I'll pick them up from the Creed boutique. Will have to make a point of smelling the Green Irish Tweed.

Haven't smelled any Tom Ford's yet.
Was in Sephora the other week with my girlfriend, and she loved both Bleu de Chanel and Invictus by Paco Rabanne. Any thoughts on those 2?
[OP]
Aug 6, 2012
84 posts
34 upvotes
BURLINGTON
CashJinx wrote:how do the regular soaps, bodywashes et al factor into the way a fragrance is perceived?
I think the general consensus is to stay away from scented body washes and deodorants. You want your fragrance to be the star, and having too many scents can muddy the waters. It shouldn't actually impact performance, as far as I am aware.
Spearmint701 wrote:
Sep 7th, 2016 5:34 pm
Was in Sephora the other week with my girlfriend, and she loved both Bleu de Chanel and Invictus by Paco Rabanne. Any thoughts on those 2?
Both are very well regarded designer fragrances. I love Blue de Chanel full stop, and I've heard Invictus is a great one too.
Mar 7, 2011
14 posts
1 upvote
Spearmint701 wrote:
Sep 7th, 2016 5:34 pm

Haven't smelled any Tom Ford's yet.
I have both Bleu de Chanel EDP and Invictus. Bleu is a great buy, one of my favourite smells for everyday wear and has gotten me many compliments which is nice and all. I also like invictus and find it to be a more afternoon early evening smell personally. I do wear it often but it not for work, clubbing or anything formal. It does not have much longevity on skin or clothes, 1-2 hrs on a good day. It does smell very nice and fresh, but I wish it performed better in the longevity area.
Jan 8, 2015
173 posts
44 upvotes
Toronto, ON
goldensun7 wrote:
Sep 6th, 2016 5:33 pm
Also ordered Armaf derby blance which is said to smell similar to Creed Silver Mountain Water. Can't compare since I haven't smelled SMW but the derby smells nice. Smells like baby powered and lavender but in a masculine way. Not very strong or overpowering and great to wear around the house or before bed because it's a very relaxing smooth smell.
I was thinking of getting the Derby Club House Blanche. Thanks for your impressions. I'm not too keen on Lavender, but it's inexpensive enough to blind buy it I guess. Maybe I'll pop into Harry Rosen or something to try the Silver Mountain Water first.
Jul 20, 2007
930 posts
120 upvotes
CashJinx wrote:
Sep 8th, 2016 12:57 pm
goldensun7 wrote:
Sep 6th, 2016 5:33 pm
Also ordered Armaf derby blance which is said to smell similar to Creed Silver Mountain Water. Can't compare since I haven't smelled SMW but the derby smells nice. Smells like baby powered and lavender but in a masculine way. Not very strong or overpowering and great to wear around the house or before bed because it's a very relaxing smooth smell.
I was thinking of getting the Derby Club House Blanche. Thanks for your impressions. I'm not too keen on Lavender, but it's inexpensive enough to blind buy it I guess. Maybe I'll pop into Harry Rosen or something to try the Silver Mountain Water first.
I tested SilverMountainWater on my arm the other day at Holt and found the longevity to be pretty weak on my skin compared to the Aventus that I sprayed on the other arm. It may last longer on your arm though. I do recall liking the scent of Silver Mountain, though not as much as the arm with Aventus.
Speaking of Armaf, wondering if anyone's tried Armaf Tag-Him which is supposedly their version of Bleu de Chanel. Like you mentioned, it's inexpensive enough that it might be blind buy worthy.
Jan 8, 2015
173 posts
44 upvotes
Toronto, ON
I was looking for a chart or something to know which scents Armaf are clones of (I'm not sure they all are), and I cam across this if it helps anybody.

https://www.takeit2day.com/blog/armaf-clones-of-titans

The shipping rates are crazy, but the list seems okay. Odd how they have 2 scents that are supposed to be similar to Aventus though.
Nov 22, 2009
217 posts
63 upvotes
CashJinx wrote:
Sep 8th, 2016 5:07 pm
I was looking for a chart or something to know which scents Armaf are clones of (I'm not sure they all are), and I cam across this if it helps anybody.

The shipping rates are crazy, but the list seems okay. Odd how they have 2 scents that are supposed to be similar to Aventus though.
Just fyi only the club de nuit intense man is the aventus clone not the other one.
Mar 7, 2011
14 posts
1 upvote
CashJinx wrote:
Sep 8th, 2016 5:07 pm

Thanks for posting this list. How accurate is it? Can anyone confirm some of the scent being good clones?
Jan 8, 2015
173 posts
44 upvotes
Toronto, ON
goldensun7 wrote:
Sep 8th, 2016 10:43 pm

Thanks for posting this list. How accurate is it? Can anyone confirm some of the scent being good clones?
As Sandlent noted, the Club de Nuit Intense Man is the current clone for Aventus. In watching a few review videos on the Armaf clones it seems that they have had previous clones for Aventus etc. in the past. The others on the list seem to be correct from what I've read/watched.
× < >
Rotate image Save Cancel