Beauty & Wellness

The RFD fragrance discussion thread

• Last Updated:
  • Jun 5th, 2017 2:46 pm
Sep 13, 2016
63 posts
49 upvotes
Anybody know where to test out the Armafs and Insurrection II? I can only find them online but I'd like to try them before buying.
Dec 4, 2014
113 posts
34 upvotes
Pickering, ON
speedy726 wrote:
Sep 19th, 2016 10:10 pm
sandlent wrote:
Sep 19th, 2016 4:40 pm
speedy726 wrote:
Sep 19th, 2016 1:09 pm
Dior Homme Intense or D&G The One EDP? Which would you folks pick as an evening/cold weather scent, if you had to pick just one?
I prefer The One. However you might also want to get your nose on Valentino Uomo and Midnight in Paris. I haven't smelt either of them but both are highly regarded and Valentino is regarded better than DHI.
Thanks for mentioning Valentino Uomo! On the way home I sprayed the EDT on one arm, and the EDP (Intense version) on the other. Ohhh man, I couldn't stop smelling my arms on the way home!! I was thinking there's definitely gourmand notes in this! The easiest description I can think of for this scent is .....Nutella! The friggin hazelnut chocolate spread! lol I heard that Uomo is comparable to Dior Homme which is known for its lipstick/makeup bag vibe, so when I started getting whiffs of the chocolate and hazelnut, I was totally caught off-guard! I say this in a good way. 2 hours since application, the Intense (EDP) version is still very much present, while the EDT is noticeable although to a lesser extent (goes without saying I guess) - at this stage, both arms have the same scent to my untrained nose, one arm just seems to have more nutella smeared on it than the other. Surprisingly, the EDP is offered for only $10 more than the EDT (same bottle size), so it's an obvious choice for me if I had to choose. I would like to compare DH and DHI next, but I cannot seem to find a shop with a DHI tester. Anyway, really blown away by this Valentino Uomo scent! Will definitely consider it!
I'm sorry speedy but NO to Valentino Uomo lol. DHI is a MASTERPIECE. That is all.
Jul 20, 2007
939 posts
120 upvotes
BlackChiney8 wrote:
Sep 20th, 2016 6:56 pm
speedy726 wrote:
Sep 19th, 2016 10:10 pm
sandlent wrote:
Sep 19th, 2016 4:40 pm

I prefer The One. However you might also want to get your nose on Valentino Uomo and Midnight in Paris. I haven't smelt either of them but both are highly regarded and Valentino is regarded better than DHI.
Thanks for mentioning Valentino Uomo! On the way home I sprayed the EDT on one arm, and the EDP (Intense version) on the other. Ohhh man, I couldn't stop smelling my arms on the way home!! I was thinking there's definitely gourmand notes in this! The easiest description I can think of for this scent is .....Nutella! The friggin hazelnut chocolate spread! lol I heard that Uomo is comparable to Dior Homme which is known for its lipstick/makeup bag vibe, so when I started getting whiffs of the chocolate and hazelnut, I was totally caught off-guard! I say this in a good way. 2 hours since application, the Intense (EDP) version is still very much present, while the EDT is noticeable although to a lesser extent (goes without saying I guess) - at this stage, both arms have the same scent to my untrained nose, one arm just seems to have more nutella smeared on it than the other. Surprisingly, the EDP is offered for only $10 more than the EDT (same bottle size), so it's an obvious choice for me if I had to choose. I would like to compare DH and DHI next, but I cannot seem to find a shop with a DHI tester. Anyway, really blown away by this Valentino Uomo scent! Will definitely consider it!
I'm sorry speedy but NO to Valentino Uomo lol. DHI is a MASTERPIECE. That is all.
lol send me a sample of DHI, I want to try it but can't seem to get my nose on a tester
Jan 8, 2015
180 posts
44 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Dinamo2016 wrote:
Sep 20th, 2016 3:28 pm
Anybody know where to test out the Armafs and Insurrection II? I can only find them online but I'd like to try them before buying.
Hi. There's a perfume shop in Dixie value mall (Dixie Rd and South Service Rd in Mississauga) and they have a few of the Armaf colognes. I got to test the Club House Derby Blanche and also tried the Club de Nuit Intense Man. I would say that the Derby Blanche definitely reminds me of Creed Silver Mountain Water, and that CDNIM is very similar to Aventus. They have Tag Him and a few others, but I didn't try them. Their prices are not good, but you can at least try them out there.
Jan 8, 2015
180 posts
44 upvotes
Toronto, ON
For anybody looking for a less expensive alternative to Tom Ford Tobacco Vanille, I came across another tobacco cologne that I like. The brand is called West Third, and the scent is Tobacco 1812. I got it from a store called Philistine in Toronto for 48.00 + tax.

It's not exactly like Tobacco Vanille, but I like it. There's a good tobacco scent, but not as much vanilla to it.

Here's a link to the Philistine website http://philistinetoronto.com/collection ... hird-brand
Nov 22, 2009
221 posts
68 upvotes
CashJinx wrote:
Sep 23rd, 2016 10:42 am
For anybody looking for a less expensive alternative to Tom Ford Tobacco Vanille, I came across another tobacco cologne that I like. The brand is called West Third, and the scent is Tobacco 1812. I got it from a store called Philistine in Toronto for 48.00 + tax.

It's not exactly like Tobacco Vanille, but I like it. There's a good tobacco scent, but not as much vanilla to it.

Here's a link to the Philistine website http://philistinetoronto.com/collection ... hird-brand
Interesting.

A friend of mine who was not really into fragrances absolutely fell in love with the Tobacco Vanille while we went to Holts to check out the Aventus.

After reading a lot and watching YouTube I found him the next best "alternative" which was Eau De Baux by L'Occitane. They have a store in Scarborough Town Center. Now mind you, he's very picky about stuff and he didn't like the CDNI as an alternative to Aventus. So we tested out the Eau De Baux and he seemed to like it. He kept smelling the strip as we walked around the mall and as we were leaving the mall he decided he couldn't leave without. So we went back and bought it.

He wore it to work the next day and already received unsolicited compliments. He sprayed once in either side of his neck and it stayed with him all day. It starts off with a nice strong cigar tobacco like vibe but settles down to a nice vanilla aroma.
Nov 22, 2009
221 posts
68 upvotes
Forgot to add, I received the Midnight in Paris yesterday and I absolutely love it. Too bad it's discontinued.
Jan 8, 2015
180 posts
44 upvotes
Toronto, ON
sandlent wrote:
Sep 23rd, 2016 1:30 pm
Interesting.

A friend of mine who was not really into fragrances absolutely fell in love with the Tobacco Vanille while we went to Holts to check out the Aventus.

After reading a lot and watching YouTube I found him the next best "alternative" which was Eau De Baux by L'Occitane. They have a store in Scarborough Town Center. Now mind you, he's very picky about stuff and he didn't like the CDNI as an alternative to Aventus. So we tested out the Eau De Baux and he seemed to like it. He kept smelling the strip as we walked around the mall and as we were leaving the mall he decided he couldn't leave without. So we went back and bought it.

He wore it to work the next day and already received unsolicited compliments. He sprayed once in either side of his neck and it stayed with him all day. It starts off with a nice strong cigar tobacco like vibe but settles down to a nice vanilla aroma.
I read about Eau De Baux as an alternative to Tobacco Vanille, but as usual, with varying opinions. I haven't smelled it for myself yet, but I will.

I actually just bought the 1812 Tobacco yesterday and am wearing it for the first time today. I did the two sides of my neck and one spray shared between the wrist. Applied at 7:45 am and at almost 3:00 pm it's still noticeable.

Oddly the only reason I found out about the 1812 Tobacco was because I when was looking for tobacco scents, I stumbled across one called Sweet Tobacco Spirits by 18.21 Man Made. When I googled for it in Toronto, I found the 1812 instead, went to the store to smell it and then bought it. They also have another one called Old Bourbon I might try.

The reviews for the 18.21 cologne are very positive, but it's only available in the US. I'm actually going to Philly in Nov., so I'm going to get a bottle of it on my way down to give it a shot.

I found that with CDNIM that the initial spray wasn't so close to Aventus, but after a few minutes you do get that Pineapple smell.
Jul 20, 2007
939 posts
120 upvotes
sandlent wrote:
Sep 23rd, 2016 1:31 pm
Forgot to add, I received the Midnight in Paris yesterday and I absolutely love it. Too bad it's discontinued.
in which occasions/seasons would you use MIP?
Nov 22, 2009
221 posts
68 upvotes
speedy726 wrote:
Sep 23rd, 2016 4:14 pm
sandlent wrote:
Sep 23rd, 2016 1:31 pm
in which occasions/seasons would you use MIP?
I think it's more of a fall/winter fragrance. In fact I'm wearing it today and I like it.
Jul 20, 2007
939 posts
120 upvotes
sandlent wrote:
Sep 18th, 2016 11:06 am
This is what I've ordered online so far:

Armaf Club De Nuit Intense
Armaf Tres Nuit
Armaf Tag Him
Midnight in Paris by Van Cleef and Ariel's.
How's the projection/longevity of Tres Nuit and Tag Him compared to CDNI? And how close would you say TH is to BDC?
Nov 22, 2009
221 posts
68 upvotes
speedy726 wrote:
Sep 26th, 2016 4:37 pm
sandlent wrote:
Sep 18th, 2016 11:06 am
This is what I've ordered online so far:

Armaf Club De Nuit Intense
Armaf Tres Nuit
Armaf Tag Him
Midnight in Paris by Van Cleef and Ariel's.
How's the projection/longevity of Tres Nuit and Tag Him compared to CDNI? And how close would you say TH is to BDC?
I don't know yet as I'll be getting them at the end of this week. I'll field test them and report back.
Dec 4, 2014
113 posts
34 upvotes
Pickering, ON
I've been adding pieces to my collection at an alarming rate in the past two months lol. I really need to slow down as this hobby/interest is not a cheap one. I'm still very open to designer frags, but have been adding/getting my nose on a lot more niche offerings. Ordered a few Amouage decants, as well as some Nasomatto. Creed and Tom Ford are still in my opinion considered as "main stream niche" but are definitely among my top houses in terms of what they offer.

What are your guys/girls opinions on gender roles and types of scents? Mostly all scents are marketed toward either men or women, some go the unisex route, but most will market and sell to a particular gender based on what's "appropriate" for a man or woman to be wearing. I'm asking because I'm curious as to what the general opinion is on this. I have a friend who wears Tom Ford Black Orchid on a regular basis and loves it on his skin (It was marketed as an entirely feminine scent). I feel any scent can be worn by anyone if they like it to be honest. I also have a few frags in my collection that some would possibly call feminine (due to florals/sweetness etc). My own opinion is that scent shouldn't be categorized by gender, but by uniqueness and enjoyment of the wearer. I give Tom Ford credit in marketing most of his line as unisex friendly. Some go one direction in terms of "traditionally feminine or masculine scents", but his feminine smelling scents will often have musk or spices thrown in to make them more unisex friendly.
Jan 8, 2015
180 posts
44 upvotes
Toronto, ON
BlackChiney8 wrote:
Sep 29th, 2016 7:28 am
Ordered a few Amouage decants, as well as some Nasomatto.
Which Amouage decants did you get? Personally I'm interested in Amouage Reflection for Men. I've been a little obsessed with tobacco scents more recently.
BlackChiney8 wrote:
What are your guys/girls opinions on gender roles and types of scents? Mostly all scents are marketed toward either men or women, some go the unisex route, but most will market and sell to a particular gender based on what's "appropriate" for a man or woman to be wearing. I'm asking because I'm curious as to what the general opinion is on this. I have a friend who wears Tom Ford Black Orchid on a regular basis and loves it on his skin (It was marketed as an entirely feminine scent). I feel any scent can be worn by anyone if they like it to be honest. I also have a few frags in my collection that some would possibly call feminine (due to florals/sweetness etc). My own opinion is that scent shouldn't be categorized by gender, but by uniqueness and enjoyment of the wearer. I give Tom Ford credit in marketing most of his line as unisex friendly. Some go one direction in terms of "traditionally feminine or masculine scents", but his feminine smelling scents will often have musk or spices thrown in to make them more unisex friendly.
I'm no expert (by far), but my guess is that these days, fragrances are becoming less gender specific in general. I mean, why limit the number of people you can sell to right?

When it comes to men wearing what would be called more feminine scents, the person's attitude and confidence can make a huge difference, and I guess if you like it wear it. That being said though, I can totally see that turning a person off, if you essentially smell the same as they do, or their friend, mother, sister etc. I suppose the opposite holds also. While I like the tobacco scents and wear them myself, I don't want my significant other to smell that way. But if she wore Neroli Portofino or Mandarino di Amalfi, I don't think I'd have a problem with that.
Dec 4, 2014
113 posts
34 upvotes
Pickering, ON
CashJinx wrote:
Sep 29th, 2016 4:21 pm
BlackChiney8 wrote:
Ordered a few Amouage decants, as well as some Nasomatto.
Which Amouage decants did you get? Personally I'm interested in Amouage Reflection for Men. I've been a little obsessed with tobacco scents more recently.
BlackChiney8 wrote:
I'm no expert (by far), but my guess is that these days, fragrances are becoming less gender specific in general. I mean, why limit the number of people you can sell to right?

When it comes to men wearing what would be called more feminine scents, the person's attitude and confidence can make a huge difference, and I guess if you like it wear it. That being said though, I can totally see that turning a person off, if you essentially smell the same as they do, or their friend, mother, sister etc. I suppose the opposite holds also. While I like the tobacco scents and wear them myself, I don't want my significant other to smell that way. But if she wore Neroli Portofino or Mandarino di Amalfi, I don't think I'd have a problem with that.
Funny thing is that almost just as many women wear Tobacco Vanille as men. I agree that a lot of women tend to like the citrus/summery based scents like Neroli Portofino and Madarino de Amalfi, but in terms of gender neutrality, I feel it's more in favour of women wearing masculine scents being more socially acceptable than say a gentleman wearing a rose or floral based scent. I own Plum Japonais and I consider it to be masculine but the fruity plum note can come across as feminine as well. It's the spices/incense and oud in the background that distinguishes it as a masculine scent I feel. The opening could be interpreted as feminine for sure though.