Beauty & Wellness

The RFD fragrance discussion thread

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 12th, 2017 9:44 am
Oct 17, 2016
378 posts
119 upvotes
This is the only cologne that I use ... Acqua Di Gio Pour Homme by Georgio Armani

IMAG6597.jpg
Mitsubishi Lancer RULES.
Jul 20, 2007
961 posts
136 upvotes
if anyone's ordering frags from fragrancebuy.ca, they had a clearout sale which supposedly ended last night but the coupon codes still work for me as of today Jan 16, 12:55pm EST

coupon code: clearout5 (save $5 orders over $50)
coupon code: clearout7 (save $7 orders over $75)
Deal Addict
Aug 29, 2005
1118 posts
45 upvotes
Ontario
Picked up a few new bottles, here's my impressions after a few weeks.

Amaf Tag Him - Smells similar to Blue de Chanel, but not close enough, imo. Doesn't have the same depth and layers of fragrance to me. The longevity is only a few hours for me, at most. This will more than tie me over until I hopefully buy the authentic stuff from Costco in the fall.

Amaf CDNI - I never tried the real Aventus, but this is very much a winter fragrance for me. Smells great, but too woodsy and musky for daily use. The longevity is very good though, will easily last all day on one spray.
Jan 8, 2015
227 posts
63 upvotes
Toronto, ON
I know this thread hasn't had too much action, but if anybody is interested, I saw a bottle of Aventus for Her in the Winners at Bathurst & Lawrence. Price is 299.99. I watched some reviews and some of the dudes said that they may wear it. I can't comment as I've never smelled Aventus for Her.

Jan 8, 2015
227 posts
63 upvotes
Toronto, ON
I was in a Costco yesterday (Dixie and Dundas in Mississauga) and saw that they hadn't gotten rid of all the fragrances from last year. There was a skid very lazily put together with what was left. I say lazily because with minimum effort, they could have consolidated them all into maybe 6 boxes as opposed to 12.

At any rate they had many 30 ml bottles of Mugler Alien EDP and a few Tom Ford Black Orchid 50ml EDP if anybody is interested. The price is still 59.99.
Jan 8, 2015
227 posts
63 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Just thought I'd share that I paid a visit to the new(ish) Le Labo store on Queen St. on the weekend. I ended up getting the discovery set plus 50ml bottle for my wife (okay and so I could try too).

I smelled the whole collection and I thought that there were a few that she would like as well as a couple that I like. I don't want to say that she's picky, but her nose is sensitive about certain things. At least if she doesn't like anything, then I can get myself something. I also think there's a couple that we could share.

At any rate, It was fun getting my nose on all of them. I tried out the Neroli 36 today which could definitely be unisex. I know that the reviews on this are often love/hate, but I found it to be really nice. It was applied at 7:30 am and as of right now is still present, but any projection was long gone. I still get the orange scent, but not the ocean breeze saltiness (if that makes sense) that was present for the first few hours.
Jan 8, 2015
227 posts
63 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Tried Le Labo Jasmine 17 today. It does start off with notes of Jasmine and Neroli, turned a little baby powdery after a while and now is barely present. This one is quite light and sure didn't last long on my skin. I do like the scent throughout it's life, but it just doesn't last long enough for me to pay that kind of money for it. I wonder if it's in part due to the weather. It's hotter in the office today than it was yesterday and I'm feeling a little warm. I'll have to give it another go another time I guess.
Jan 8, 2015
227 posts
63 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Yesterday I tried the Santal 33 from Le Labo. Similar to the Jasmine, it fell a little short on how long it lasted on me, but it was enjoyable to wear. Changed to a more floral bouquet as the day progressed, but I would say it still stayed fairly gender neutral.

The more I try different colognes, the more I realize how different they become after some time on your skin. I'm torn whether I think it's unscrupulous that a fragrance can change so much between initial spray and an hour (or some other amount of time) later, or if it's an advantage. I think that many people are aware that the scent of a fragrance changes with time/body chemistry, but still make a purchase based on how it smelled in the store on a piece of paper after waving it around for a few minutes. I know I've been guilty of that in the past.

Today I'm trying Fleur D'Oranger 27. Applied at 7:30 am and as of right now still present at more intimate distances. The occasional waft from the A/C provides me with a nice reminder of what I'm wearing. Still pretty well smells like the initial spray.
Jan 26, 2017
33 posts
8 upvotes
Got a bunch of Armaf (aventus, green Irish tweed, a&f, noir de noir). They smell great but the issue I've had is longevity. But for the price can't complain since i can just spray more, more frequently.
May 28, 2006
563 posts
159 upvotes
Is Father's day a good time to buy fragrances? Is it better to buy before, or will there be clearances on those father day gift sets that are out currently a few weeks after?
Jan 8, 2015
227 posts
63 upvotes
Toronto, ON
FnF184 wrote:
May 20th, 2017 8:49 pm
Got a bunch of Armaf (aventus, green Irish tweed, a&f, noir de noir). They smell great but the issue I've had is longevity. But for the price can't complain since i can just spray more, more frequently.
If you don't mind me asking, where did you end up getting them? I've been debating about getting the Derby Clubhouse Blanche. I got to smell it and it is very similar to Creed Silver Mountain Water.
Jan 8, 2015
227 posts
63 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Smiley09 wrote:
May 24th, 2017 4:41 am
Is Father's day a good time to buy fragrances? Is it better to buy before, or will there be clearances on those father day gift sets that are out currently a few weeks after?
I haven't really noticed much on sale for Father's day, but as usual, there's a bunch of "free gift" offers right now. In fact, I decided to pick up Versace Pour Homme last night at Shoppers. The bonus there are the travel spays that come with your purchase. So I got the 100ml Versace pour Homme, and it came with a 10ml travel spray of pour homme, Dylan Blue, Eau Fraiche, and Eros. Each one of the travel sprays are in a nice glass bottle. The Bay has one for Versace pour homme on their website if you're so inclined to check it out. They sell it for $29 so they've added a max value of 4x29=116 (more than the cologne costs) to the deal.

Decided to try out the eau fraiche today (partially because I've seen a lot of it at Marshalls lately and it could be a good buy). Like most fresh scents, this stuff is NOT a beast. It's pleasant and linear. It pretty much stays the same as when you first spray it. It's also not going to last all day, so the travel size sprayer will come in handy. This will be a nice summer scent.
Jan 26, 2017
33 posts
8 upvotes
CashJinx wrote:
Jun 5th, 2017 10:09 am
If you don't mind me asking, where did you end up getting them? I've been debating about getting the Derby Clubhouse Blanche. I got to smell it and it is very similar to Creed Silver Mountain Water.
Got them from the FragranceBuy sale a couple weeks back. Averaged to 33 bucks each (most expensive was the Aventus at 39, cheapest was GIT at 28). They all really do smell great, but the concern is around longevity however that can be said of many brand names as well.