None
[OP]
Deal Expert
Dec 1, 2003
18861 posts
655 upvotes
Montreal

The RFD Gold & Silver Coins/Bullion/Precious metals thread

Seeing as we are filling other threads, and there seems to lately be a lot of interest in collecting coins and precious metals, I've created this thread. I'm relatively new in the world of Precious Metals, but in the short time I've been collecting, I'll share what I've learned...

The focus of thsi thread is to post pics and talk about coins and precious metals such as gold, silver, platinum, palladium, copper, nickel, you name it, for investment and collecting purposes.

To help you get started here's some tips, tricks, and lingo:

For those getting started in the hobby, do yourself a favour and for under $10, get one of these Ebay scales, which will help you in buying and prevent you from getting ripped off, as well as weighing your rpecious metals:
http://www.ebay.ca/itm/0-01-300g-Mini-D ... 414edff731

What is BULLION?
1.Gold or silver in bulk before coining, or valued by weight.
2.A coin or bar struck from precious metal and kept as a store of value or an investment, rather than used in day-to-day commerce.

How can i check the price of precious metals?
There are many websites for this. One of the ones I use is: http://www.kitco.com/market/
Keep in mind that precious metal pricing is like buying stock. The price changes by the second. There is no trading on weekends Saturday and it resumes at 6pm on Sundays. The price you see is called the "spot price."

If spot price for silver is $33, why are people sellingthe bullion for a higher price, like $38?
There's usually a markup because of the manufacturing and shipping costs associated with producing the bullion. Other times there will be much higher premiums based on the exclusivity and rarity of the bullion.

Does Canada make any bullion?
Yes, Canada makes some of the finest bullion in the world and we are lucky that we have a lot of access to it. The competitive advantage Canada has is that the Royal Canadian Mint uses some of the finest and purest metals in the world, mainly .9999 silver and .9999 gold (referred to as "four nines"). Most other mints in the world use "3 nines" or .999
If you're ever in Ottawa, I'd suggest you take a tour of the Royal Canadian Mint and you cana ctually see how bullion is made.

Common abbreviations or terms:
Numismatics - The study or collection of money, coins, and often medals.
Ag - Silver
Au - Gold
PM or PM's - Precious Metal(s)

Precious Metals
Gold, Silver, Platinum and Palladium

Base Metals (but becoming popular to collect and invest)
Copper, nickel

Do I have to pay tax when buying bullion?

Gold, silver and platinum bullion products are exempt from HST/GST.

How to keep your PM's safe
If you're buying for investment purposes, your best bet is to keep them in a safety deposit box at the bank, then you don't have to worry about theft or fire. If you're keeping them at home, a fire proof safe would be good to have.

When/Where is the next big coin show?
http://www.trajan.ca/showbbs/ccn.pl

Where can i buy bullion in Canada(thanks to numerous RFD members for their tips)?:
The best place is usually your local coin shop or coin show. Since you don't have to pay for shipping, it will save you quite a bit. If you don't have access to a nearby coin shop and have to order it, there are numerous online dealers such as:
www.silvergoldbull.com
www.torontogoldbullion.com
https://online.kitco.com/ (you can also buy from them in person, in Montreal)
23766 replies
Jun 18, 2009
318 posts
14 upvotes
It would be great if OP can list a few websites to purchase bullion. Here are two websites that I checked, feel free to add more that you have

1. www.silvergoldbull.com
2. www.torontogoldbullion.com

Both companies are Canadian, the first one is better in terms of price but shipping is about $25+ depending on your order. For people in the GTA, the second website offers free pick up from their store at Yonge and Finch.

Also since this is RFD, it'd be nice if fellow forumers can share their local coin shops that offer competitive prices as well!
Deal Addict
Sep 26, 2007
3960 posts
143 upvotes
SC
Nice links i've been to the local coin shops in my area but they only sell, they don't buy silver or gold coins.
would be interested where they actually do buy coins at a fair value
"We don't have a soul... We are a soul. We have a body." ~C.S Lewis
Deal Addict
Apr 13, 2008
2813 posts
788 upvotes
Vancouver
is $41 for a 2009 1oz silver panda a good deal? ebay is selling them for over $70 but is it really that hard to find the panda's under $40 locally?
[OP]
Deal Expert
Dec 1, 2003
18861 posts
655 upvotes
Montreal
crazycoward wrote:
Feb 19th, 2012 2:36 pm
is $41 for a 2009 1oz silver panda a good deal? ebay is selling them for over $70 but is it really that hard to find the panda's under $40 locally?

$41 is a crazy hot deal. Panda's usually carry a high premium. They're very nice looking coins. Just make sure they're real. There's a few counterfits out there.
Deal Addict
Mar 14, 2007
2549 posts
107 upvotes
Toronto
Nice pickup from torex OP, I'd love to see your update collection now :D
[OP]
Deal Expert
Dec 1, 2003
18861 posts
655 upvotes
Montreal
willyxjai wrote:
Feb 19th, 2012 2:50 pm
Nice pickup from torex OP, I'd love to see your update collection now :D

I don't have THAT many. I recently just got started about 3-4 months ago. Mainly in silver, as gold is pricey. Most of my 'investment' coins are in the bank in a safety deposit box. No point in keeping them at home and risk getting robbed. I wish I'd gotten into this 5 years ago when silver was $10/oz and gold $450/oz. Those who have been in it since then must be sitting on a pile of pure gold right now (literally) lol
Deal Addict
Jan 29, 2006
3746 posts
10 upvotes
Is it safe to say Torex is cash only transaction?
Paolo wrote:Why are they called the Olsen twins if they both have different last names? Mary Kate, and Ashley Olsen. Why are they not called the Kate Twins? or the Kate-Olsen twins? It's also fascinating how 2 kids from different parents looked identical and both played the role of baby michelle on full house and now 20 some years later, they still look identical.
THREE STARS AND A SUN
[OP]
Deal Expert
Dec 1, 2003
18861 posts
655 upvotes
Montreal
burnt_toast wrote:
Feb 19th, 2012 3:08 pm
Is it safe to say Torex is cash only transaction?

Yup, cash only. And in stores, it's debit or cash only.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 25, 2003
8686 posts
933 upvotes
Vancouver
najibs wrote:
Feb 19th, 2012 1:49 pm
For those getting started in the hobby, do yourself a favour and for under $10, get one of these Ebay scales, which will help you in buying and prevent you from getting ripped off, as well as weighing your rpecious metals:
http://www.ebay.ca/itm/0-01-300g-Mini-D ... 414edff731

Why not this one? Couple bucks cheaper, same size, and goes up to 1kg. I assume I'm missing something.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1000g-x-0-1g-LC ... 4152ff401a
General Radek had some good ideas.
Deal Addict
Jan 29, 2006
3746 posts
10 upvotes
Damn, just looked over the Torex website and the show ended at 3pm.
Paolo wrote:Why are they called the Olsen twins if they both have different last names? Mary Kate, and Ashley Olsen. Why are they not called the Kate Twins? or the Kate-Olsen twins? It's also fascinating how 2 kids from different parents looked identical and both played the role of baby michelle on full house and now 20 some years later, they still look identical.
THREE STARS AND A SUN
Jun 18, 2009
318 posts
14 upvotes
najibs wrote:
Feb 19th, 2012 2:56 pm
I wish I'd gotten into this 5 years ago when silver was $10/oz and gold $450/oz. Those who have been in it since then must be sitting on a pile of pure gold right now (literally) lol

dont..say..it.. :razz:
[OP]
Deal Expert
Dec 1, 2003
18861 posts
655 upvotes
Montreal
Yasser wrote:
Feb 19th, 2012 3:34 pm
dont..say..it.. :razz:

Just imagine, back then you could buy a TUBE of 1oz gold maples for $5k. Now that would cost you $20k :cry:

Not even real estate has given that type of return over the last 5 years.
Deal Addict
Jan 29, 2006
3746 posts
10 upvotes
najibs wrote:
Feb 19th, 2012 3:29 pm
Son't miss the next show:
http://www.trajan.ca/showbbs/ccn.pl

Thanks for the Link. March 3-4 is the next one in Sauga
THREE STARS AND A SUN