• Feb 11th, 2017 1:37 pm
Penalty Box
May 10, 2005
25905 posts
2874 upvotes
Ottawa
WorldIRC wrote:
Feb 2nd, 2017 4:12 pm
I support this but not sure if the admins or other mods share my thoughts on this.
I think some of the mods were here when t was banned and before the political free for all was allowed.
There was a great debate and I was one of the allowing political threads. I have since seen what they have become and the effort the mods have to put in to keep it "clean" and yet, it is still a shouting match and name calling and vitriol to anyone not agreeing.
"If you didn't see it with your own eyes, or hear it with your own ears, don't invent it and share it" Anonymous
Sep 27, 2003
7720 posts
1296 upvotes
Newmarket
tranquility922 wrote:
Feb 2nd, 2017 4:50 pm
Well, if having such a political subforum is a possibility, you guys should it make a free-for-all. I pity any mod that has to admin that, so better to have a 'you're been warned/abandon all ye hope b4 entering' lol to get rid of any potential headache. In the end, it's just a bunch of ppl that don't write policy blubbering about 0, let them have at it.
These are thoughts that have been shared with the admins. I think one of the concerns with a total free for all is there are still certain rules / compliance like harassment, extreme hateful statements, legal stuff, etc...all needs to be reviewed by the admins.
RFD Forums Moderator
Corporate Account Manager for a Bell Mobility Reseller
Sep 27, 2003
7720 posts
1296 upvotes
Newmarket
Howard Forums used to have a sub forum of their OT section called "The Far Side". It was only open to paid members, but anything went there, and except for the most extreme of content, anything went.
RFD Forums Moderator
Corporate Account Manager for a Bell Mobility Reseller
Deal Addict
Apr 8, 2002
1633 posts
126 upvotes
Toronto
Has there been any progress on a solution for OT? I would be for banning politics altogether. No good seems to ever come from these posts, just arguing and name calling.

If RFD doesn't want to go back to banning political threads, how about two sub forums: Canadian Politics and International Politics? This way there could be somewhat healthy debate (we can only hope) for all levels of gov't in Canada and all the Trump related posts can be under International.
15+ Years of 100% Positive Feedback

EBAY / HEATWARE / RFD
[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 19, 2007
2725 posts
220 upvotes
Toronto
WorldIRC wrote:
Jan 27th, 2017 4:43 pm
OP,

Four more years of this is not a political bias - simply an expression of frustration of having to hear about this stuff for four more years

1st Closed Thread - Low Content is often mod discretion. The thread offers no value to RFD, even in OT.
2nd Closed Thread - I agree with the reason for closure
3rd Closed Thread - Low Content is often mod discretion. The thread offers no value to RFD, even in OT.
with that logic, 90% of posts and threats offer no value to RFD, especially in OT
Deal Addict
Apr 28, 2004
1543 posts
162 upvotes
I'm all in favour of banning politics from RFD as well.

That's not to say you can't have threads on political issues, but you can't let it get derailed into arguing about NDP vs Liberals vs Conseratives or Democrats vs. Republicans. I mean one of the lines you bolded in the Forum Rules was the part about "the greater good of the community." I don't see how the constant bickering and trolling of political factions is good for the health of RFD other than driving away members.

Perhaps someone from the admin side can explain the benefits of allowing political discussions on RFD? I guess I could understand it if there was a business case that the rule change Ryan alluded to caused a spike in RFD membership or site visits. But it'll also be interesting if the mods could disclose the percentage of post reports/complaints that are related to politics.
Deal Addict
May 17, 2005
2611 posts
314 upvotes
akira1971 wrote:
Feb 9th, 2017 12:54 pm
I'm all in favour of banning politics from RFD as well.

That's not to say you can't have threads on political issues, but you can't let it get derailed into arguing about NDP vs Liberals vs Conseratives or Democrats vs. Republicans. I mean one of the lines you bolded in the Forum Rules was the part about "the greater good of the community." I don't see how the constant bickering and trolling of political factions is good for the health of RFD other than driving away members.

Perhaps someone from the admin side can explain the benefits of allowing political discussions on RFD? I guess I could understand it if there was a business case that the rule change Ryan alluded to caused a spike in RFD membership or site visits. But it'll also be interesting if the mods could disclose the percentage of post reports/complaints that are related to politics.
+1
Deal Addict
May 17, 2005
2611 posts
314 upvotes
WorldIRC wrote:
Feb 1st, 2017 5:27 pm
I know I'm not the only one that would prefer to have nothing to do with the moderation of political threads :)
nice ... so all the hard work is left for Mars2012 ... Winking Face
Deal Addict
Dec 21, 2011
2743 posts
410 upvotes
London
I'm all for having a free for all politics section, I agree with the warning and maybe a click to enter that you have a thick skin and are forewarned.
Dec 5, 2012
9 posts
2 upvotes
Toronto
Make users apply for access to the free-for-all forum. Part of the application is to acknowledge that the forum will not be actively moderated, and moderators will only intervene in case of a violation of Canadian law. A moderator approves the application (or it is automatically approved by the system.)

Simple.
× < >
Rotate image Save Cancel