Tags:
Deal Fanatic
Jul 12, 2003
6692 posts
367 upvotes
Markham
WorldIRC wrote:
Jan 20th, 2017 3:54 pm
I've never been given a quota. Each mod will moderate in areas they are most comfortable with. Some handle more reports than others, some stick to hot deals, some moderate via browsing the forums, and some deal specifically with referral links etc...The admins understand we are all here voluntarily and would never ask or pressure us with any kind of "mandate".
Good for you and other mods, it was a bit different when I was one of them before.
Retired Forum Moderator February 2009 - June 2015
Deal Addict
Dec 5, 2006
3768 posts
301 upvotes
Markham
How many Mods are in RFD?

Thanks
Sep 27, 2003
7766 posts
1304 upvotes
Newmarket
smartie wrote:
Jan 25th, 2017 9:27 pm
How many Mods are in RFD?

Thanks
https://forums.redflagdeals.com/memberlist.php

Do a search by group "global moderators"

There are about 24/25 listed moderators although not all are currently active right now.
RFD Forums Moderator
Corporate Account Manager for a Bell Mobility Reseller
Deal Addict
Jul 11, 2008
3624 posts
1113 upvotes
is there a hierarchy of mods? a certain mod being more powerful than another mod?
Sep 27, 2003
7766 posts
1304 upvotes
Newmarket
mathiewannabe wrote:
Jan 25th, 2017 10:37 pm
is there a hierarchy of mods? a certain mod being more powerful than another mod?
Nope, we all have the same access / power / latitude to make decisions.
RFD Forums Moderator
Deal Addict
Dec 5, 2006
3768 posts
301 upvotes
Markham
WorldIRC wrote:
Jan 25th, 2017 10:05 pm
https://forums.redflagdeals.com/memberlist.php

Do a search by group "global moderators"

There are about 24/25 listed moderators although not all are currently active right now.
Thanks

How do Mods coordinate? For example, how to avoid different mods review same thread but no one reviews others,?
Sep 27, 2003
7766 posts
1304 upvotes
Newmarket
smartie wrote:
Jan 25th, 2017 11:04 pm
Thanks

How do Mods coordinate? For example, how to avoid different mods review same thread but no one reviews others,?
We have internal tools that allow us to coordinate reports, expired threads, user management, etc...

If we need feedback / insight before actioning something, we have a mod / admin forum where we can chat with each other as well as Tom.
RFD Forums Moderator
May 17, 2007
3634 posts
748 upvotes
Burnaby
Ive been inactive lately. Life is crazy right now. But i do pop on now and then.

Modding is fun most of the time :)
Dec 16, 2015
323 posts
76 upvotes
MP3_SKY wrote:
Jan 20th, 2017 11:30 am
Mods have no pay and all volunteer and they have their "mandate" of number of posts they need to moderate in a monthly or annually basis.
Admin however work for YPG and is salaried to work in their DT Toronto office unless it changed in the last 2-3 years.
thats why they religiously delete posts to meet their quota?
Sep 27, 2003
7766 posts
1304 upvotes
Newmarket
Redsanta wrote:
Jan 31st, 2017 10:11 pm
Thank you for the perfect example of the kind of posts we would remove in order to meet our "quotas".
RFD Forums Moderator
Deal Fanatic
Jul 12, 2003
6692 posts
367 upvotes
Markham
Redsanta wrote:
Jan 31st, 2017 10:11 pm
No, your post could be useless or violate forums rules to get deleted.
Check forum rules once a while and stay cool in RFD to prevent posts get deleted.
Retired Forum Moderator February 2009 - June 2015
Sep 30, 2001
26006 posts
5115 upvotes
oconnorm wrote:
Feb 11th, 2017 2:30 pm
As far as they are saying, moderators are not paid, which raises the obvious question around what would motivate someone to do it for free. Free products or discounts from advertisers as part of private side deals, in exchange for strategic moderation or subtle endorsements?
We do not get free products or discounts, or kickbacks, or side deals. We may get a nominal gift of appreciation from the Administrative staff (like say a $20 Tims gift card) during Christmas but that's about it.

There has never been a time where we've been told to moderate in a particular direction. Any deals we post we do so on our own accord without any incentives (this is different from sponsored posts which only the Admins do as part of whatever marketing deal they've arranged with a particular company).

As for motivation: everyone has different reasons. I do it as a means of helping out a site that I've been with since the beginning. I like catching deals and reading some of the more informative and valuable posts that members contribute.
Don't talk about it, be about it
Sep 30, 2001
26006 posts
5115 upvotes
oconnorm wrote:
Feb 11th, 2017 8:02 pm
If all of that is true
Why wouldn't it be?
, you remind me of the literary character Tom Parsons in Nineteen-eighty-four. Someone who is uneducated in the ways of the world and rather suggestible. He is utterly loyal to the Party and believes in its perfection. In the end he gets reported to the Thought Police and goes off to the labour camps saying he can do good work there, not able to believe that the Party's interests are not totally aligned with his own.
ok.
If you have been with the site since the beginning
check the join date. There's no 'if' about it.
you may have noticed that Mr. Szeto walked away from this site before the regrettable decline. He walked away with millions, though, thanks to the efforts of useful volunteer moderators, and people who posted the deals for free. It is a truly amazing business model, other people do the work for nothing, and the owners collect the money.
Nothing's stopping you from doing the same.
1. Setup a site
2. Promote it
3. ???
4. Profit
On a related point, I remember Bell Canada used to pay interns nothing, because they were supposed to be satisfied with the prestige of working for Bell Canada. I think that ended when one of them sued for the wages they were owed.
ok.
Don't talk about it, be about it
× < >
Rotate image Save Cancel