Are RFD Moderators paid for their role?

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 12th, 2017 11:51 am
Tags:
Dec 5, 2012
9 posts
2 upvotes
Toronto
If all of that is true, you remind me of the literary character Tom Parsons in Nineteen-eighty-four. Someone who is uneducated in the ways of the world and rather suggestible. He is utterly loyal to the Party and believes in its perfection. In the end he gets reported to the Thought Police and goes off to the labour camps saying he can do good work there, not able to believe that the Party's interests are not totally aligned with his own.

If you have been with the site since the beginning, you may have noticed that Mr. Szeto walked away from this site before the regrettable decline. He walked away with millions, though, thanks to the efforts of useful volunteer moderators, and people who posted the deals for free. It is a truly amazing business model, other people do the work for nothing, and the owners collect the money.

On a related point, I remember Bell Canada used to pay interns nothing, because they were supposed to be satisfied with the prestige of working for Bell Canada. I think that ended when one of them sued for the wages they were owed.
Sep 30, 2001
25947 posts
5087 upvotes
oconnorm wrote:
Feb 11th, 2017 8:02 pm
If all of that is true
Why wouldn't it be?
, you remind me of the literary character Tom Parsons in Nineteen-eighty-four. Someone who is uneducated in the ways of the world and rather suggestible. He is utterly loyal to the Party and believes in its perfection. In the end he gets reported to the Thought Police and goes off to the labour camps saying he can do good work there, not able to believe that the Party's interests are not totally aligned with his own.
ok.
If you have been with the site since the beginning
check the join date. There's no 'if' about it.
you may have noticed that Mr. Szeto walked away from this site before the regrettable decline. He walked away with millions, though, thanks to the efforts of useful volunteer moderators, and people who posted the deals for free. It is a truly amazing business model, other people do the work for nothing, and the owners collect the money.
Nothing's stopping you from doing the same.
1. Setup a site
2. Promote it
3. ???
4. Profit
On a related point, I remember Bell Canada used to pay interns nothing, because they were supposed to be satisfied with the prestige of working for Bell Canada. I think that ended when one of them sued for the wages they were owed.
ok.
Dec 5, 2012
9 posts
2 upvotes
Toronto
MrDisco wrote:
Feb 11th, 2017 9:21 pm
Why wouldn't it be?
It is so implausible that it is impossible to believe.
check the join date. There's no 'if' about it.
Many people joined the site before the web was invented, according to their join dates.
Nothing's stopping you from doing the same.
I could never exploit people like that. I don't think it's strictly legal. I know I have to pay my employees minimum wage, pay health tax and make contributions to their pensions.
Deal Addict
Nov 15, 2008
2543 posts
622 upvotes
Cambridge, ON
I like the moderators on this site - I think they do a great job and it totally adds to the positive atmosphere here. Thank you for doing such a good job. I say this despite being busted a few times ;)

Quality moderation = quality forum.
× < >
Rotate image Save Cancel