Automotive

RFD Official Detailing Thread - Post all Detailing/Paint Related Questions here!

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 24th, 2024 2:35 pm
Deal Fanatic
Nov 21, 2013
8130 posts
9317 upvotes
Montréal
eclone wrote: I've used it on my friend's white civic and my black Subaru with no issues.
thanks for the replies. I am a bit worried about applying a wheel cleaner on the body ;) available at Canadian Tire, $17 for 750 ml. Paid near $40 for 1L Iron-X !!
Deal Guru
Mar 13, 2004
13840 posts
5545 upvotes
Ontario
I recently used this with good results.

https://carzilla.ca/collections/brand-g ... on-remover

DoorCrasher wrote: Sorry, this question probably been asked many times over these 269 pages, but I am a bit lazy to go through all of these, even if I have noting much to do because of the pandemis ;)

I am out of Iron X, own a white car and need something good to use as fallout remover / iron articles remover. Anything easy to find and cheaper than Iron X to suggest? I liked how Iron-X works, but it is expensive especially adding shipping fees
Deal Addict
Apr 30, 2006
3579 posts
2985 upvotes
Markham
Question for those who use P&S Brake Buster; has anyone used this as a fallout remover for a ceramic coated (or even waxed) car? As an owner of a white car, and those of you with white cars know what I am talking about, brake dust and fallout is a huge PITA. I’ve been diluting BDX but will run out by end of this year so I wanted to find an economical solution.
DoorCrasher wrote: thanks for the replies. I am a bit worried about applying a wheel cleaner on the body ;) available at Canadian Tire, $17 for 750 ml. Paid near $40 for 1L Iron-X !!
Sonax I know is safe as is BDX. I’ve used both, but diluted to 3 parts water. I agree Iron-X is crazy expensive.

Freedom Mobile $40/20GB
Public Mobile $38/5GB
Nov 18, 2019
502 posts
244 upvotes
GTA
I need a new product as well. Iron X is nice, but getting too expensive.
Deal Addict
Nov 26, 2008
1450 posts
1346 upvotes
Oakville
ChibaK wrote: I need a new product as well. Iron X is nice, but getting too expensive.
Chemical Guys has Decon iron remover if you can find a good price.
Deal Addict
Sep 8, 2017
4695 posts
4968 upvotes
GTA
The CG stuff is $20 for 500mL. So no better than $40 for 1L of IronX. And IronX is the benchmark for iron removers.

https://store.chemicalguyscanada.ca/spi ... eaner.html

Adam's Iron Remover seems to be an excellent value at $65 per gallon.

https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B07C2YM4LF/ref ... s9dHJ1ZQ==

CG and Meguiar's are both about $100 for a gallon. BDX and IronX are about $130 for a gallon.
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2004
35606 posts
18999 upvotes
DoorCrasher wrote: I am out of Iron X, own a white car and need something good to use as fallout remover / iron articles remover. Anything easy to find and cheaper than Iron X to suggest? I liked how Iron-X works, but it is expensive especially adding shipping fees
You don't need a chemical remover, claybar will remove this most of the time with a little work.
Deal Addict
May 2, 2011
1380 posts
549 upvotes
Oakville, ON
ES_Revenge wrote: You don't need a chemical remover, claybar will remove this most of the time with a little work.
But then don’t you need to polish after using clay?
Deal Fanatic
Nov 21, 2013
8130 posts
9317 upvotes
Montréal
ES_Revenge wrote: You don't need a chemical remover, claybar will remove this most of the time with a little work.
Thanks. No, I si mot need, but I want. Easier, faster. I have a decon towel. Note like clay, but I like it.
Deal Addict
Jun 12, 2008
3759 posts
1397 upvotes
Ancaster
Hey Everyone, I'm hearing a lot lately about Ceramic Coating Sprays and was wondering what everyone is recommending.

I've been using CarPro Reload as a standalone sealant and it's worked well especially on the black trim areas (not chalk white film). My bottle is just about done so I'm looking for other options.

Reload is pricey and I see there are other offerings on the market that are more reasonably priced. Griots Garage has a 3in1 sealant and Meguiars and Turtle Wax both have promising options.

Is there something out there I should try or is Reload my best bet.

Thanks
Sep 19, 2015
208 posts
240 upvotes
Meguiars Hybrid Ceramic has been having good reviews.
Jan 26, 2009
110 posts
11 upvotes
Montreal
I can't find how what size kit of ceramic coating I would need to buy for my car.

I can't seem to find a general consensus of which are the top 3 reasonably priced coatings either.
Seems like people are recommending GTechnic & CQuartz but they each have different versions & product names.

Which 3 would be recommended for ease of use at reasonable price?
Deal Addict
Jul 7, 2009
1223 posts
762 upvotes
GoPDemon1 wrote: Meguiars Hybrid Ceramic has been having good reviews.
I started using it about 3 weeks ago, so far, so good.

My advice is - do NOT follow the instruction 100% cause it may result in streaking if you put in too much. Instead, for first application, after you wash your car (and I also did the cleaning compund and polish as first and 2nd layers), use a cotton pad, spray on the pad and spread it over the surface like water wax, but then dry it with a clean towel immediately. Do that over the entire car. Once that is done, follow the instruction to spray water over your car, spray the ceramic coating over the wet car, don't over spray, and then just rinse it down and dry your car.

It has good beading effect and is very easy to apply. Then again it's only been 3 weeks, will have to see how long it lasts. Reviews seem to say it lasts 4-5 months I would be happy if it lasts 3.
Deal Expert
Jul 30, 2007
33237 posts
21168 upvotes
Toronto
S2G-Unit wrote: I can't find how what size kit of ceramic coating I would need to buy for my car.

I can't seem to find a general consensus of which are the top 3 reasonably priced coatings either.
Seems like people are recommending GTechnic & CQuartz but they each have different versions & product names.

Which 3 would be recommended for ease of use at reasonable price?
I have used your mentioned ones + gyeon as well thus far. I prefer GTechniq though. The least preferred would be Cquartz.
Jan 26, 2009
110 posts
11 upvotes
Montreal
booblehead wrote: I have used your mentioned ones + gyeon as well thus far. I prefer GTechniq though. The least preferred would be Cquartz.
Thanks. What size kit would I need for a 2 seater sports car?
Deal Guru
Mar 13, 2004
13840 posts
5545 upvotes
Ontario
I used to use Carpro Reload a few years ago but I had it now because it does not last. 1-2 months max if you are lucky yet they claim up to 6 months.

i started using this https://carzilla.ca/collections/brand-g ... id-crystal About a month and a half ago, put it all over my car and also put it on half of my moms hood which was recently painted so no protection on it at all. After 1 1/2 months half her hood is still beading nicely, has no been washed and its parked outside all day.
nielboy wrote: Hey Everyone, I'm hearing a lot lately about Ceramic Coating Sprays and was wondering what everyone is recommending.

I've been using CarPro Reload as a standalone sealant and it's worked well especially on the black trim areas (not chalk white film). My bottle is just about done so I'm looking for other options.

Reload is pricey and I see there are other offerings on the market that are more reasonably priced. Griots Garage has a 3in1 sealant and Meguiars and Turtle Wax both have promising options.

Is there something out there I should try or is Reload my best bet.

Thanks