Automotive

RFD Official Detailing Thread - Post all Detailing/Paint Related Questions here!

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 27th, 2019 1:42 pm
Feb 2, 2018
318 posts
255 upvotes
Montreal
Dude, this is a car. It will get scratched up, and banged into. Long-term, there's 0 need to take these extra precautions or put a cover on it in the driveway.
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
33541 posts
7539 upvotes
Ottawa
THS wrote:
Oct 1st, 2018 11:01 pm
Why so mad
Mad? Answers to your questions are here if you do a search or, if you put a little effort into it.
Mad? I gave you 2 very important links for you to move forward.
Mad? How often are you going to post about the same thing?
Not mad, just sad to see someone so inept.
The Government cannot give to anybody anything that the Government does not first take from somebody else.
May 21, 2006
93 posts
1 upvote
I feel like I've been ripped off by a local vancouver detailer. his shop is certified for the ceramic coating that i liked, so i decided to bring in my brand new 2018 audi s3 in with less than 100km on the odometer. i highlighted certain areas with swirls left by the dealership and he told me he would take care of them. he also said he would go over the whole vehicle as it needs to be done before the coating is applied. specifically i was concerned with the black trim such as the b pillars, black optic trim pieces, and a scratch in the front right on the paint. i left the car with him on friday 09/28 at 930am telling him not to rush and just do the best he could. he texts back that afternoon and says it would be ready for 5pm the next day, saturday 09/29.

When i got there that day it was overcast cloudy and the vehicle was parked outside. i had no chance to inspect the vehicle inside. additionally it seemed like he was in a hurry to get me inside to take payment. i did see a couple of marks on the b pillars but i didn't want to be too picky since it's hard to get it to 100% correction. he also said that most vehicles will have that anyway. hesitantly i paid and took the car home where i could inspect it in my underground garage with good lighting. to my horror, there was a 1 inch spot which was left on the trim in front of the driver side mirror that was obviously not polished at all, there were large swirls left that were admittedly hard to see but with lighting i found, there was hazing in large 5 inch portions of the rear passenger window trim, that were not polished out, and most importantly, the swirl mark on the front passenger fender that i specifically pointed out was not corrected at all.

i messaged him bringing up my concerns and he said that he can try and removing more clear coat but unfortunately some of the scratches will still be there. but i'm really upset at the fact that there were so many missed spots. Isn't it the job of a detailer to look at these things in detail. I'm also upset that he told me he could get it done initially but is now backtracking saying it can't. If it's beyond his capacity then why did he agree to do the job? it's hard to trust him to correct these issues knowing how careless he initially was. it really felt like a rushed job and his shop was full of vehicles on pick up day which is why my car was left outside even before i got there. I basically paid $1000 for $100 worth of ceramic coating and application and barely any paint correction.

does anyone have any advice on what my options are? can i ask for a refund? can i take him to court? If i'm stuck wit him, will he have to redo the whole vehicle to fix the spots that i'm looking at? am i better off calling it a loss and going to the most reputable guy in vancouver?

here's an example of one of the missed spots https://drive.google.com/file/d/13DG0RA ... sp=sharing
Temp. Banned
Jun 18, 2008
5095 posts
4589 upvotes
Montreal
migz23 wrote:
Oct 3rd, 2018 4:23 am
I feel like I've been ripped off by a local vancouver detailer. his shop is certified for the ceramic coating that i liked, so i decided to bring in my brand new 2018 audi s3 in with less than 100km on the odometer. i highlighted certain areas with swirls left by the dealership and he told me he would take care of them. he also said he would go over the whole vehicle as it needs to be done before the coating is applied. specifically i was concerned with the black trim such as the b pillars, black optic trim pieces, and a scratch in the front right on the paint. i left the car with him on friday 09/28 at 930am telling him not to rush and just do the best he could. he texts back that afternoon and says it would be ready for 5pm the next day, saturday 09/29.

When i got there that day it was overcast cloudy and the vehicle was parked outside. i had no chance to inspect the vehicle inside. additionally it seemed like he was in a hurry to get me inside to take payment. i did see a couple of marks on the b pillars but i didn't want to be too picky since it's hard to get it to 100% correction. he also said that most vehicles will have that anyway. hesitantly i paid and took the car home where i could inspect it in my underground garage with good lighting. to my horror, there was a 1 inch spot which was left on the trim in front of the driver side mirror that was obviously not polished at all, there were large swirls left that were admittedly hard to see but with lighting i found, there was hazing in large 5 inch portions of the rear passenger window trim, that were not polished out, and most importantly, the swirl mark on the front passenger fender that i specifically pointed out was not corrected at all.

i messaged him bringing up my concerns and he said that he can try and removing more clear coat but unfortunately some of the scratches will still be there. but i'm really upset at the fact that there were so many missed spots. Isn't it the job of a detailer to look at these things in detail. I'm also upset that he told me he could get it done initially but is now backtracking saying it can't. If it's beyond his capacity then why did he agree to do the job? it's hard to trust him to correct these issues knowing how careless he initially was. it really felt like a rushed job and his shop was full of vehicles on pick up day which is why my car was left outside even before i got there. I basically paid $1000 for $100 worth of ceramic coating and application and barely any paint correction.

does anyone have any advice on what my options are? can i ask for a refund? can i take him to court? If i'm stuck wit him, will he have to redo the whole vehicle to fix the spots that i'm looking at? am i better off calling it a loss and going to the most reputable guy in vancouver?

here's an example of one of the missed spots https://drive.google.com/file/d/13DG0RA ... sp=sharing

First world problems right here ^ New $60,000 Audi has a swirl on plastic trim. Can't wait until your next thread..."My new S3 has dust on it, can I sue the city..."

Wait until someone hits you while parked. Move on with your life and enjoy your car.
May 21, 2006
93 posts
1 upvote
It's less about the scratches and more about the fact that I spent $1000 for shit work or no work at all
Deal Fanatic
Mar 13, 2004
9396 posts
1619 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
Well all you can do is take it back to him and point out the spots you want fixed and let him do his thing. He wont give you your money back if there are only a few spots he missed, he will fix them and send you on your way.

Also I detail cars on the side and let me tell you that black trim especially in the middle of the 2 doors will get all marked up in a short period of time due to the material and most people touching that are when opening and closing doors. Even im pretty careful with my own car and put 2 layers of ceramic coating on it and its all scratched up. The best thing you can do is put PPF in those areas, actually you should put PPF on the full front of the car like I did.

Now mind you I dont charge $1,000+ however you did not just pay $1,000 for $100 worth of ceramic coating. Majority of the price is from paint correction which if done properly takes Hours. Also depending on the brand/type of ceramic coating it likely cost closer to $200.
migz23 wrote:
Oct 3rd, 2018 4:23 am

0_o
<_<
>_>
May 21, 2006
93 posts
1 upvote
Thanks for the advice. Yes the majority of the $1000 goes towards correction and prep but that's why it's baffling. He didn't do any. A brand new car with barely any defects and he didn't even work on the ones that i showed!
sickcars wrote:
Oct 3rd, 2018 2:39 pm
Well all you can do is take it back to him and point out the spots you want fixed and let him do his thing. He wont give you your money back if there are only a few spots he missed, he will fix them and send you on your way.

Also I detail cars on the side and let me tell you that black trim especially in the middle of the 2 doors will get all marked up in a short period of time due to the material and most people touching that are when opening and closing doors. Even im pretty careful with my own car and put 2 layers of ceramic coating on it and its all scratched up. The best thing you can do is put PPF in those areas, actually you should put PPF on the full front of the car like I did.

Now mind you I dont charge $1,000+ however you did not just pay $1,000 for $100 worth of ceramic coating. Majority of the price is from paint correction which if done properly takes Hours. Also depending on the brand/type of ceramic coating it likely cost closer to $200.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 13, 2004
9396 posts
1619 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
I have seen plenty of new cars with defects/swirl marks. Because your car is white its much harder to see them. My guess is he probably did a quick polish on the paint & just forgot the sections you mentioned.

But best thing to do is take it back and get him to fix it. Even wait for it and watch them work on it if possible.
migz23 wrote:
Oct 3rd, 2018 6:49 pm
Thanks for the advice. Yes the majority of the $1000 goes towards correction and prep but that's why it's baffling. He didn't do any. A brand new car with barely any defects and he didn't even work on the ones that i showed!
0_o
<_<
>_>
Deal Fanatic
Nov 4, 2008
6021 posts
4138 upvotes
Richmond Hill
Honeymoon phase will end eventually
When given enough time, all threads on RFD can and will go off on a tangent.
May 2, 2018
61 posts
41 upvotes
Toronto
THS wrote:
Oct 1st, 2018 6:39 am
I heard waxing a car helps protect the clear coat. Found these products while searching on amazon.ca and they have good reviews.

Liquid vs Paste vs Quick ?

Meguiar's G18216 Ultimate Liquid Wax - 16 oz.
https://www.amazon.ca/Meguiars-G18216-U ... 2Bwax&th=1

Meguiar's G18211C Ultimate Paste Wax
https://www.amazon.ca/Meguiars-G18211C- ... timate+wax

Meguiar's G17516C Ultimate Quik Wax
https://www.amazon.ca/Meguiars-G17516C- ... timate+wax

Also I've heard techs can be careless and scratch up the car if they wash / detail it.

Should I ask the dealer NOT to wash/detail it before taking delivery ?

Anything I should check for besides scratches / making sure everything works before taking delivery ?

EDIT: How about the windshield / windows. Get Rain X ?
Check check and check. Don't let dealer detailer wash your car, they usually do sloppy job. Just tell them to rinse it. As for wax you should wax regularly, twice to three times a year. Once in late fall for the winter, once in the spring right after snow stops, once in the summer. Go to a self-wash place and rinse the under body a few times a year. Invest in high quality sealant first followed by coat of carnauba wax. Clay bar the car once a year. You should generally avoid gas station car washes but if you have to use one use only touchless. Learn to wash using two bucket method with grit guards. Sure to Rain-X.
Deal Fanatic
May 1, 2012
8638 posts
6281 upvotes
Markham
Shrink-wrap the car. That way you don't have to worry about the paint scratching. Also remember, always plasti-dip after shrink wrapping.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 13, 2004
9396 posts
1619 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
Dealer will scratch the car, so don't let them wash it.

Get this wax as its very good and lasts long but yes you should wax a few times a year (2-3) IF you use this wax - https://www.collinite.com/automotive-wa ... -elegance/

Windshield - AquaPel

If you really want to protect the front of your car then install PPF (Paint protection Film) on the full front of the car.
0_o
<_<
>_>
Deal Addict
Sep 2, 2006
2424 posts
765 upvotes
Orleans, ON
My choices

Collonite Double Coat
Collonite Insulator Wax
Nufinish

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)