Automotive

RFD Official Detailing Thread - Post all Detailing/Paint Related Questions here!

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 27th, 2019 1:42 pm
Oct 15, 2008
273 posts
230 upvotes
canada
Anikiri wrote:
Oct 5th, 2018 10:03 am
Shrink-wrap the car. That way you don't have to worry about the paint scratching. Also remember, always plasti-dip after shrink wrapping.
I got you beat, I just sweep the road free of rocks before I drive my car.
Deal Guru
Mar 22, 2004
12370 posts
2904 upvotes
RFD
So how are you guys preparing your vehicles for the winter? Planning to do one more wash and seal/wax before winter approaches.

I don't want to be freezing my bum off washing the car if I don't have to. Is the coin wash the best way to wash during the winter or I guess a more expensive touch less car wash is ideal.
Deal Addict
Nov 21, 2013
4109 posts
2393 upvotes
radeonboy wrote:
Oct 22nd, 2018 10:40 am
So how are you guys preparing your vehicles for the winter? Planning to do one more wash and seal before winter approaches.

I don't want to be freezing my bum off washing the car if I don't have to. Is the coin wash the best way to wash during the winter or I guess a more expensive touch less car wash is ideal.
I wash my car in my driveway. During winter, when it is not too cold and the roads are clean I go to the coin pressure wash where I bring my gear.

Just done my winter pain prep during last weekend

1st washed the car, 2 buckets method.
2 sprayed Iron-X and washed the car again.
3 clay mitt the whole car
4 sealed the paint with HD Proxy
5 The day after I waxed the car with Collinite wax, will give a second wax coat next weekend, and it will last several months.

Don't forget to clean and detail the inside as well ;)
Deal Guru
Mar 22, 2004
12370 posts
2904 upvotes
RFD
DoorCrasher wrote:
Oct 22nd, 2018 10:53 am
I wash my car in my driveway. During winter, when it is not too cold and the roads are clean I go to the coin pressure wash where I bring my gear.

Just done my winter pain prep during last weekend

1st washed the car, 2 buckets method.
2 sprayed Iron-X and washed the car again.
3 clay mitt the whole car
4 sealed the paint with HD Proxy
5 The day after I waxed the car with Collinite wax, will give a second wax coat next weekend, and it will last several months.

Don't forget to clean and detail the inside as well ;)

Thanks for the informative list. Having to do this outside in the cold sucks, wish I had a heated garage. Anyway, in between multiple layers of waxing, you are washing the car again before applying another layer of wax?
Deal Fanatic
Mar 13, 2004
9396 posts
1619 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
Give the car a good wash, hand wash is best even if you have to bring your supplies to the coin wash in the early morning.
use Iron-X or similar on the car or if you have time clay bar it. Wash it again.

Then dry the car and apply some long lasting wax (unless you already have a ceramic coating) for long lasting wax I suggest - https://www.carzilla.ca/collinite-canad ... lecoat-9oz

You can also put this wax on your rims. Also you may want to apply something like AquaPel on your windshield to help repel water and allow you to see better .

radeonboy wrote:
Oct 22nd, 2018 10:40 am
So how are you guys preparing your vehicles for the winter? Planning to do one more wash and seal/wax before winter approaches.

0_o
<_<
>_>
Deal Addict
Nov 21, 2013
4109 posts
2393 upvotes
radeonboy wrote:
Oct 22nd, 2018 11:02 am
Thanks for the informative list. Having to do this outside in the cold sucks, wish I had a heated garage. Anyway, in between multiple layers of waxing, you are washing the car again before applying another layer of wax?
yes, always wash the car again to get rid of dirt/grim/dust just to be sure to not scratch the whole car ;)
Deal Addict
Nov 21, 2013
4109 posts
2393 upvotes
sickcars wrote:
Oct 22nd, 2018 11:43 am
Give the car a good wash, hand wash is best even if you have to bring your supplies to the coin wash in the early morning.
use Iron-X or similar on the car or if you have time clay bar it. Wash it again.

Then dry the car and apply some long lasting wax (unless you already have a ceramic coating) for long lasting wax I suggest - https://www.carzilla.ca/collinite-canad ... lecoat-9oz

You can also put this wax on your rims. Also you may want to apply something like AquaPel on your windshield to help repel water and allow you to see better .
+1, done this and it really Worth it. At high speed no need to use windshield wipers, water beads comes off by itself :D
Deal Guru
Mar 22, 2004
12370 posts
2904 upvotes
RFD
DoorCrasher wrote:
Oct 22nd, 2018 11:57 am
yes, always wash the car again to get rid of dirt/grim/dust just to be sure to not scratch the whole car ;)
Thanks. Man its going to take a long time to keep washing and stacking up the layers of wax, but I guess it will be worth the effort for winter protection.
Deal Guru
Mar 22, 2004
12370 posts
2904 upvotes
RFD
sickcars wrote:
Oct 22nd, 2018 11:43 am

DoorCrasher wrote:
Oct 22nd, 2018 12:01 pm
+1, done this and it really Worth it. At high speed no need to use windshield wipers, water beads comes off by itself :D
I don't currently have AquaPel, what I have right now is Rain X spray and I find that it does the same thing as AquaPel sounds like it does.
Deal Addict
Nov 21, 2013
4109 posts
2393 upvotes
radeonboy wrote:
Oct 22nd, 2018 12:05 pm
Thanks. Man its going to take a long time to keep washing and stacking up the layers of wax, but I guess it will be worth the effort for winter protection.
well it all depends on you... I do like to take care of my car, even though it is not a luxury, but I find it satisfying driving a clean shiny car, and, over all, it keeps the paint in quite good shape for many years, it is good especially if you want to keep your car for a long time ;) by example steps 1 to 4 took a whole day, from 10 AM to 4 PM... only last thing I have to do is giving the 2nd layer of wax, and clean touuroughly the weel wells.This will be done at the tire change ;)
Deal Guru
Mar 22, 2004
12370 posts
2904 upvotes
RFD
DoorCrasher wrote:
Oct 22nd, 2018 12:13 pm
well it all depends on you... I do like to take care of my car, even though it is not a luxury, but I find it satisfying driving a clean shiny car, and, over all, it keeps the paint in quite good shape for many years, it is good especially if you want to keep your car for a long time ;) by example steps 1 to 4 took a whole day, from 10 AM to 4 PM... only last thing I have to do is giving the 2nd layer of wax, and clean touuroughly the weel wells.This will be done at the tire change ;)
I hear you, I just don't like to do this in the winter temperatures :(
Deal Fanatic
Mar 13, 2004
9396 posts
1619 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
Yes Rain X is like AquaPel However Aquapel lasts around 6 months give or take where the rainX one I believe only lasts around 1 month give or take.
radeonboy wrote:
Oct 22nd, 2018 12:10 pm
I don't currently have AquaPel, what I have right now is Rain X spray and I find that it does the same thing as AquaPel sounds like it does.
0_o
<_<
>_>
Deal Addict
Nov 21, 2013
4109 posts
2393 upvotes
radeonboy wrote:
Oct 22nd, 2018 12:16 pm
I hear you, I just don't like to do this in the winter temperatures :(
you can have it done by a professional detailer, if you don't mind paying for this ;)
Deal Guru
Mar 22, 2004
12370 posts
2904 upvotes
RFD
DoorCrasher wrote:
Oct 22nd, 2018 5:28 pm
you can have it done by a professional detailer, if you don't mind paying for this ;)
I'm on RFD for a reason lol.

Anyone can recommend the coin wash that offers the most minutes per dollar?
Dec 12, 2010
158 posts
57 upvotes
So I just got a new car and haven't washed it yet. I want to minimize the swirl marks I get on it and I would like to use a cleaning product that doesn't remove wax and/or sealant.

I'm about to buy a pressure washer, Just bought some chemical guys Microfibre Cloths, and heard that Meguairs products are great.

I'm also thinking about a foam gun as well.

Any Advice?
Awesome Deals Grabbed:
Samsung 55" KS8500 @ BestBuy - $1599.95 | Free Chromecast with Google Home Purchase @ Best Buy | PS4 Pro @ Staples - $360 | Telus - $60/10 GB ~ Koodo - $25/Unlimited CAD Calling ~ Koodo - $49/8GB