Automotive

RFD Official Detailing Thread - Post all Detailing/Paint Related Questions here!

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 19th, 2019 9:39 am
Dec 12, 2010
108 posts
25 upvotes
So I just got a new car and haven't washed it yet. I want to minimize the swirl marks I get on it and I would like to use a cleaning product that doesn't remove wax and/or sealant.

I'm about to buy a pressure washer, Just bought some chemical guys Microfibre Cloths, and heard that Meguairs products are great.

I'm also thinking about a foam gun as well.

Any Advice?
Awesome Deals Grabbed:
Samsung 55" KS8500 @ BestBuy - $1599.95 | Free Chromecast with Google Home Purchase @ Best Buy | PS4 Pro @ Staples - $360 | Telus - $60/10 GB ~ Koodo - $25/Unlimited CAD Calling ~ Koodo - $49/8GB
Deal Addict
Aug 10, 2013
2379 posts
1645 upvotes
Dont use a pressure washer.
Use a 2 bucket method with a quality soap.
Use a leaf blower to dry.

Dont buy a foam cannon, they are a waste of money.
Smash that like button!
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2006
17279 posts
1551 upvotes
Woodbridge
Pressure washers is unnecessary IMO. As pointed use the two bucket system. Foam gun?

I love Meguiar's I use the Ultimate series. Detailer, Protectant, Polish Paste Wax.

Not many are a fan but Rain-X is amazing. Also, don't forget the most item, Clay Bar.
"I'll put up color bars before I'll put you in front of our cameras."

- MacKenzie
THE NEWSROOM (HBO)
Deal Fanatic
Feb 11, 2007
8718 posts
7392 upvotes
Oakville
If you really want to protect it, you can ceramic coat it first, but it's pricey.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 13, 2007
8011 posts
1963 upvotes
6ix
If your car is black, good luck
Koodo $40/8GB
Bell Fibe 300 Mbps/100 Mbps Unlimited $25
Deal Addict
Apr 24, 2014
1024 posts
402 upvotes
6mthatch wrote:
Oct 26th, 2018 8:14 pm
Dont use a pressure washer.
Dont buy a foam cannon, they are a waste of money.
Why?
Deal Addict
Aug 10, 2013
2379 posts
1645 upvotes
hybrid09 wrote:
Oct 26th, 2018 9:26 pm
Why?
Pressure washer....you are literally using high pressure to imbed dirt into your paint.
Foam cannon is just a hype. Use a 2 bucket method and be done with it.
Smash that like button!
Deal Guru
Sep 21, 2010
10125 posts
1905 upvotes
Montréal
Never heard of using leaf blower, wouldn't that potentially blow some debris onto the car?
The richest 1% of this country owns half our country’s wealth, 5 trillion dollars, one-third of that comes from hard work, two-thirds comes from inheritance, interest on interest accumulating to widows and idiot sons, and what I do.. <find the rest>
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2001
15269 posts
5531 upvotes
tranquility922 wrote:
Oct 26th, 2018 9:42 pm
Never heard of using leaf blower, wouldn't that potentially blow some debris onto the car?
Yes - unfiltered leaf blowers can blow dirt back onto the car. However using a microfiber can also cause dirt to go on your car if you missed a spot washing (you rely on the plushness to pick it up and not scratch the surface).

A master blaster is expensive but one of the features is that it filters the air before it goes to your car.
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2001
15269 posts
5531 upvotes
The best thing to start with is asking the professionals and luckily Auto Obsessed, who are professionals and do very high end cars, post a lot of videos. Here is a series of their videos specifically on washing a car:
https://www.autoobsessed.com/blogs/tuto ... ur-vehicle
You can go through their site and see many of their other videos.

Once you watch some videos and listen to what they have to say, ask some specific questions. But I wouldn't hesitate to use their advice as the base for what to do - they are professionals and highly respected.
Deal Guru
Sep 21, 2010
10125 posts
1905 upvotes
Montréal
Just get a weak/low level pressure washer, it's awesome to prep rinse and spray carwash fluid and rinse off. I think it's a great tool.
The richest 1% of this country owns half our country’s wealth, 5 trillion dollars, one-third of that comes from hard work, two-thirds comes from inheritance, interest on interest accumulating to widows and idiot sons, and what I do.. <find the rest>
Deal Addict
Aug 10, 2013
2379 posts
1645 upvotes
[quote="tranquility922" post_id=29994558 time=1540609541 user_id=331664]Just get a weak/low level pressure washer, it's awesome to prep rinse and spray carwash fluid and rinse off. I think it's a great tool.[/quote]

Aka a garden hose with a multifunction head ?

Money is better spent buying quality supplies or getting a polisher like a PC or griots for the frugal minded.

In regards to soap, meguiars Is ok. I prefer Mr. Pink as of lately. Excellent lubricacy to help prevent marring and scratches.
Smash that like button!
Deal Guru
Sep 21, 2010
10125 posts
1905 upvotes
Montréal
6mthatch wrote:
Oct 26th, 2018 11:32 pm
Aka a garden hose with a multifunction head ?
Not sure how effective/strong those heads+reg garden hose are, pressure washer's pretty good to get rid of bugs stuck to the bumper, etc.
Deal Addict
Aug 10, 2013
2379 posts
1645 upvotes
tranquility922 wrote:
Oct 26th, 2018 9:42 pm
Wouldn't want to use a pressure washer anyways...
Towel soak for a few minutes and wash as normal
Smash that like button!