Automotive

RFD Official Detailing Thread - Post all Detailing/Paint Related Questions here!

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 19th, 2019 9:39 am
Deal Guru
Sep 21, 2010
10125 posts
1905 upvotes
Montréal
6mthatch wrote:
Oct 26th, 2018 11:53 pm
Wouldn't want to use a pressure washer anyways...
Towel soak for a few minutes and wash as normal
For me it's quite useful. Some stuff one can't just soak, need to have it removed effectively and efficiently.
The richest 1% of this country owns half our country’s wealth, 5 trillion dollars, one-third of that comes from hard work, two-thirds comes from inheritance, interest on interest accumulating to widows and idiot sons, and what I do.. <find the rest>
Dec 12, 2010
108 posts
25 upvotes
6mthatch wrote:
Oct 26th, 2018 11:32 pm
Aka a garden hose with a multifunction head ?

Money is better spent buying quality supplies or getting a polisher like a PC or griots for the frugal minded.

In regards to soap, meguiars Is ok. I prefer Mr. Pink as of lately. Excellent lubricacy to help prevent marring and scratches.
I just took a look at Mr.Pink and i think I might buy some! They specifically mentioned not stripping the LSP, which is great.

http://store.chemicalguyscanada.ca/Mr_P ... ws_402.htm
Awesome Deals Grabbed:
Samsung 55" KS8500 @ BestBuy - $1599.95 | Free Chromecast with Google Home Purchase @ Best Buy | PS4 Pro @ Staples - $360 | Telus - $60/10 GB ~ Koodo - $25/Unlimited CAD Calling ~ Koodo - $49/8GB
Deal Addict
Nov 21, 2013
3225 posts
1352 upvotes
TheJackal wrote:
Oct 26th, 2018 7:46 pm
So I just got a new car and haven't washed it yet. I want to minimize the swirl marks I get on it and I would like to use a cleaning product that doesn't remove wax and/or sealant.

I'm about to buy a pressure washer, Just bought some chemical guys Microfibre Cloths, and heard that Meguairs products are great.

I'm also thinking about a foam gun as well.

Any Advice?
I wash my car in my driveway. During winter, when it is not too cold and the roads are clean I go to the coin pressure wash where I bring my gear.

Just done my winter pain prep during last weekend

1st washed the car, 2 buckets method.
2 sprayed Iron-X and washed the car again.
3 clay mitt the whole car
4 sealed the paint with HD Proxy
5 The day after I waxed the car with Collinite wax, will give a second wax coat next weekend, and it will last several months.

Don't forget to clean and detail the inside as well

And you should read this thread! ===> https://forums.redflagdeals.com/rfd-off ... re-609563/
Dec 12, 2010
108 posts
25 upvotes
DoorCrasher wrote:
Oct 27th, 2018 8:43 am
I wash my car in my driveway. During winter, when it is not too cold and the roads are clean I go to the coin pressure wash where I bring my gear.

Just done my winter pain prep during last weekend

1st washed the car, 2 buckets method.
2 sprayed Iron-X and washed the car again.
3 clay mitt the whole car
4 sealed the paint with HD Proxy
5 The day after I waxed the car with Collinite wax, will give a second wax coat next weekend, and it will last several months.

Don't forget to clean and detail the inside as well

And you should read this thread! ===> https://forums.redflagdeals.com/rfd-off ... re-609563/
Great!! Much appreciated.

What brand Clay mitt do you use and is a clay lube required?
Awesome Deals Grabbed:
Samsung 55" KS8500 @ BestBuy - $1599.95 | Free Chromecast with Google Home Purchase @ Best Buy | PS4 Pro @ Staples - $360 | Telus - $60/10 GB ~ Koodo - $25/Unlimited CAD Calling ~ Koodo - $49/8GB
Deal Addict
Nov 21, 2013
3225 posts
1352 upvotes
TheJackal wrote:
Oct 27th, 2018 8:52 am
Great!! Much appreciated.

What brand Clay mitt do you use and is a clay lube required?
This is the clay mitt I use: https://www.carpro-us.com/paint-deconta ... con-towel/

And the lube: https://www.oldetownautospa.ca/products/hd-touch-16-oz

but I think that any other brand will do the job. Meguiar's also have a good lube, easily available at Canadian Tire
Deal Fanatic
Jun 17, 2013
5120 posts
1486 upvotes
Montreal
6mthatch wrote:
Oct 26th, 2018 8:14 pm
Dont use a pressure washer.
Use a 2 bucket method with a quality soap.
Use a leaf blower to dry.

Dont buy a foam cannon, they are a waste of money.
I agree with some of this, and disagree with other stuff.

Pressure washer: they can really add to the experience and I recommend it if you can afford it. They are also amazing at creating your wash suds in a bucket. The suds are much suddier (lol) and last longer. You can switch to the hose if you are concerned, but they have their place in washing your car down the road.
Foam Cannon: They are most definitely not a waste of money. They can help provide lubrication. They are not required but can be effective. Plus, they are fun.
Leaf Blower: Big no here. Especially gas powered. Sure, it can work. But get a dedicated blower with a filter. Again, not really needed but if you can afford it. Also be careful when using it. You can blow debris on your car, but chances of this are much lower with a dedicated blower as they are easier to handle compared to a leaf blower.

2 bucket wash and quality soap: Yup!

Also, I don't really recommend a clay mit. Get a clay bar. Clay mitts have pros and cons, but the cons outweigh it. Unless you are doing a quick job and don't really care. But if reducing swirls is your concern, go with a clay bar. They are dirt cheap for how long they last. Yes, more expensive than a mitt in the long run but if a mitt but the difference is worth it.
Deal Addict
Nov 21, 2013
3225 posts
1352 upvotes
MrEmoji wrote:
Oct 27th, 2018 10:32 am
I agree with some of this, and disagree with other stuff.

Pressure washer: they can really add to the experience and I recommend it if you can afford it. They are also amazing at creating your wash suds in a bucket. The suds are much suddier (lol) and last longer. You can switch to the hose if you are concerned, but they have their place in washing your car down the road.
Foam Cannon: They are most definitely not a waste of money. They can help provide lubrication. They are not required but can be effective. Plus, they are fun.
Leaf Blower: Big no here. Especially gas powered. Sure, it can work. But get a dedicated blower with a filter. Again, not really needed but if you can afford it. Also be careful when using it. You can blow debris on your car, but chances of this are much lower with a dedicated blower as they are easier to handle compared to a leaf blower.

2 bucket wash and quality soap: Yup!

Also, I don't really recommend a clay mit. Get a clay bar. Clay mitts have pros and cons, but the cons outweigh it. Unless you are doing a quick job and don't really care. But if reducing swirls is your concern, go with a clay bar. They are dirt cheap for how long they last. Yes, more expensive than a mitt in the long run but if a mitt but the difference is worth it.
I don't 100% agree with your last point. For the swirls, I don't think that a clay bar will make it through. I use, for swirls, a very light auto polish will do it, and better than a clay bar. I use Auto Finesse tripple3 AIO polish. Clay mitt is re-usable (as the bar!) BUT is also cleanable, wich a clay bar is not, obviously. If you misuse a clay bar you can do more damages than benefits to your car's finish, and that is why I do prefer the mitt. ;)
May 30, 2015
15 posts
7 upvotes
New Westminster, BC
I actually think a foam cannon is useful especially when you are doing touch up washes.
This is my routine

Foam cannon
Rinse (if car is extra dirty)
Two bucket wash
Iron x and wash the wheels
Iron x the car (if car is extra dirty)
Clay the car, I use nanomitt not an actually clay bar (again if extra dirty)
Paint correct with m105/205
Dry with microfibre
Cquartz the paint and I use some sort of spray water repellant like gyeon wet coat for the wheels
Dress the tires
Don’t drive th car ever again
Deal Fanatic
Mar 13, 2004
8808 posts
1223 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
Have a look at the detailing thread posted already by somebody, lots of good info there.

For good quality car products check out - https://www.carzilla.ca
I recommend CarPro, Geyon, 3D Products. I don't personally like Chemical guys much because their stuff tends to be on the cheaper side (not price but quality) I know a lot of people like them but there are reasons why professional detailers do not use their products. Chemical guys are very good at advertising.

First thing is first, if you want to really take care of your car then you need to PPF (paint protection film) the full front end now while it new before you get multiple rock chips and other damage from regular driving. As for ceramic coating its great but ONLY if you maintain it with the proper soap & washing procedure which can get expensive on already the expensive ceramic coating unless you can do it yourself like I do. You can buy quality wax from a company called Collinite that will last anywhere from 6 months to around 1 year and it will be MUCH cheaper then ceramic coating.
0_o
<_<
>_>
Deal Expert
Apr 21, 2004
47557 posts
13243 upvotes
You guys love your cars so much (or maybe want to keep their resale values high when you sell and get a new car). :)

I just hose the doors panels enough and dab with a peanut sponge enough so we don't get dirt on our clothes. And put damp bounty paper towels over bird droppings or tree sap and dab them off a few minutes later.

Sometimes go through a touchless car wash with our Esso points.
Deal Addict
Jul 7, 2014
1931 posts
1069 upvotes
I use a pressure washer, foam cannon and two mits if my car is really dirty. I find that using a pressure washer cuts my time in half instead of using a garden hose, gets the soap off wayyy faster.

If my car just needs a quick clean, I use the 2 bucket method and some quick wax from miguiers.

As it gets colder I use a coin wash ($4) for a touchless wash and spray quick wax. But during the winter I don’t bother drying my car or waxing.

Good to seal your paint before winter!
Deal Addict
Jul 7, 2014
1931 posts
1069 upvotes
Eddiebtz wrote:
Oct 27th, 2018 11:16 am
I actually think a foam cannon is useful especially when you are doing touch up washes.
This is my routine

Foam cannon
Rinse (if car is extra dirty)
Two bucket wash
Iron x and wash the wheels
Iron x the car (if car is extra dirty)
Clay the car, I use nanomitt not an actually clay bar (again if extra dirty)
Paint correct with m105/205
Dry with microfibre
Cquartz the paint and I use some sort of spray water repellant like gyeon wet coat for the wheels
Dress the tires
Don’t drive th car ever again
Lol great ending, hope you got a winter beater
Deal Fanatic
Jun 17, 2013
5120 posts
1486 upvotes
Montreal
DoorCrasher wrote:
Oct 27th, 2018 11:05 am
I don't 100% agree with your last point. For the swirls, I don't think that a clay bar will make it through. I use, for swirls, a very light auto polish will do it, and better than a clay bar. I use Auto Finesse tripple3 AIO polish. Clay mitt is re-usable (as the bar!) BUT is also cleanable, wich a clay bar is not, obviously. If you misuse a clay bar you can do more damages than benefits to your car's finish, and that is why I do prefer the mitt. ;)
Not 100% sure you understood what I had said. I am not saying a clay bar will get rid of swirls. For that, you need to polish it. A clay bar will typically cause less damage than a clay mitt. (key word, typically)
Deal Addict
Nov 21, 2013
3225 posts
1352 upvotes
MrEmoji wrote:
Oct 27th, 2018 1:08 pm
Not 100% sure you understood what I had said. I am not saying a clay bar will get rid of swirls. For that, you need to polish it. A clay bar will typically cause less damage than a clay mitt. (key word, typically)

Ho, now I get it. You said that a clay mitt makes swirls… as a clay bar can do, if both are misused. ;) never damaged the paint with my mitt. Maybe it is barely visible on white paint? Anyway, as I said the mitt is "washable", the clay bar will keep dirt bonded to it.
Jun 4, 2016
12 posts
11 upvotes
Although I think pressure washers/ foam cannons are great, I find it troublesome to setup, not to mention the price of a good pressure washer and finding a spot in garage to put it.
So I use a foam gun instead, as I can just attach it to a regular garden hose. One main disadvantage of a foam gun however, is that in order to get good suds/ foam, you will go through a lot of soap, whereas foam cannons, I believe are more efficient.

So the way I use my foam gun is:
1. Rinse the car
2. Presoak the car for 5 min using Chemical Guys Honeydew Snow Foam (Only when the car is really soiled)
3. Rinse off
4. Spray the car again to layer soap on the car
5. Grab a wash mitt and a bucket of water (as a wash bucket) and start scrubbing.
6. Rinse
7. Dry using a cordless leaf blower ( I only use it to dry my car lol)
8. Cloth dry and Chemical guys V7 Sealant as a quicker detailer/ drying agent

Might not be the best technique, but it's quick and efficient so I don't feel tired doing this every weekend. (30 min from start to finish)

For this winter, I purchased a IK 9 foam sprayer so I can bring it to a coin-op car wash and do the same as above.

In hindsight, I should have just bought the IK 9 in the first place...