Automotive

RFD Official Detailing Thread - Post all Detailing/Paint Related Questions here!

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 27th, 2019 1:42 pm
Deal Fanatic
Mar 13, 2004
9388 posts
1617 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
There is usually a slight layer of protection However it really only lasts a few days maybe a week. That being said using spray wax also will only last a few weeks at best too.

if you want to actually have some longer lasting protection on your car then apply this wax - https://www.carzilla.ca/collinite-canad ... lecoat-9oz This will last around 10months give or take from what I have seen online. You can wax your car twice a year and it would be MUCH better then the wax/soap combo.

blackston3 wrote:
Oct 28th, 2018 10:51 am
With winter coming up soon and lots of snow, dirt, and road salt, is there a layer of small extra protection or any difference (aside from wax being present) between using a product that's car wash/wax mixed soap instead of pure car wash soaps?

I will still be applying a spray wax layer on the black paint after washing either way but wouldn't mind some more info: if there's some extra protection or cleaning power from using a wash/wax mix without compromising the cleaning and washing off of dirt/salt

Will be purchasing one of Costco's offering of Auto-Chem cleaners:

1) Auto-Chem ULTRA BRITE Concentrated Car Wash: https://www.costco.ca/Auto-Chem-ULTRA-B ... 93783.html

2) Auto-Chem WASH & SHINE Concentrated Wash & Wax: https://www.costco.ca/Auto-Chem-WASH-%2 ... 93785.html
0_o
<_<
>_>
Deal Addict
Jun 14, 2008
2755 posts
1652 upvotes
Montreal
I've always used nufinish, easily available from CT, lasts 6+ months easily. The "enthusiasts" hates it, but meh, it's easy to use and last long.
Deal Guru
Feb 11, 2007
11777 posts
11420 upvotes
Oakville
Any wax/soap combo or spray wax isn't going to last long. Use something that can go at least 6 months and avoid any car washes to make it last. If you want to clean it, just use the wax spray cycle at a self clean station.
Deal Addict
Feb 6, 2011
1473 posts
1138 upvotes
sickcars wrote:
Oct 28th, 2018 11:00 am
if you want to actually have some longer lasting protection on your car then apply this wax - https://www.carzilla.ca/collinite-canad ... lecoat-9oz This will last around 10months give or take from what I have seen online. You can wax your car twice a year and it would be MUCH better then the wax/soap combo.
This is the wax I use once a year. Water still beads up even after 1 year and several car washes.
Its hard to use on a white car, to see where you put it on and to buff out the haze, but its worth it because it lasts a long time.
Jun 4, 2016
21 posts
11 upvotes
A large part of how long the wax/sealant last is on the prep of the surface just like painting a car. You have to provide a good surface for the wax/sealant to bond.
I would go with a dedicated soap to clean and a dedicated sealant for protection.

Ideally, clay and iron-x the paint before putting on wax or sealant.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 6, 2007
7110 posts
3315 upvotes
Kootenays
sickcars wrote:
Oct 28th, 2018 7:50 pm
This is also good but lasts around 6 months. The one I posted is closer to a year.
My routine has always been 845 in the fall, rinse it off with dish detergent in the spring, clay bar, then Klasse, as I prefer the Klasse finish for the summer, but prefer the 845 protection in winter.
Dec 12, 2010
157 posts
54 upvotes
What are some of the best cloths (Brands/Materials/Types/) to use for washing your car?
Awesome Deals Grabbed:
Samsung 55" KS8500 @ BestBuy - $1599.95 | Free Chromecast with Google Home Purchase @ Best Buy | PS4 Pro @ Staples - $360 | Telus - $60/10 GB ~ Koodo - $25/Unlimited CAD Calling ~ Koodo - $49/8GB
Deal Addict
Sep 8, 2017
2476 posts
2496 upvotes
Vancouver
People don't really use towels to wash their car.

To wash your car I would suggest a wash mitt, and a drying towel.

If you want "the best" I'd suggest a MicroFiber Madness IncrediMitt, and Griot's Garage PFM Drying Towel. They're about $50 each.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 13, 2004
9388 posts
1617 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
Are you using these clothes to wash your car or dry your car? Or buff off wax?
To wash the car you want a microfiber Wash mitt not a cloth
TheJackal wrote:
Jan 9th, 2019 8:06 pm
What are some of the best cloths (Brands/Materials/Types/) to use for washing your car?
0_o
<_<
>_>
Dec 12, 2010
157 posts
54 upvotes
derass wrote:
Jan 9th, 2019 9:01 pm

If you want "the best" I'd suggest a MicroFiber Madness IncrediMitt, and Griot's Garage PFM Drying Towel. They're about $50 each.
Thanks for that. That's what I was looking for.

Looks like it can be had for $36 at https://www.eshine.ca/products/microfib ... -wash-mitt
Awesome Deals Grabbed:
Samsung 55" KS8500 @ BestBuy - $1599.95 | Free Chromecast with Google Home Purchase @ Best Buy | PS4 Pro @ Staples - $360 | Telus - $60/10 GB ~ Koodo - $25/Unlimited CAD Calling ~ Koodo - $49/8GB
Deal Fanatic
Mar 13, 2004
9388 posts
1617 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
Also check out the bottom of this page there are some options for you. I use the geyon microfiber wash mitt.

https://www.carzilla.ca/gyeon-quartz-canada/
derass wrote:
Jan 9th, 2019 9:01 pm

0_o
<_<
>_>
Deal Addict
Jun 12, 2008
2415 posts
341 upvotes
Ancaster
By far the best all round dusting cloth.

Deal Fanatic
Mar 13, 2004
9388 posts
1617 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
1 - There is no real other way to properly wash the car, the only way to make it faster is if you have a good ceramic coating or maybe a quality wax which will help repel dirt so the car does not get as dirty as quickly and will make it easier for the dirt to come off due to this protection layer.

2 - yes you can use, Iron x & tar x or Trix which is a combo of the two just not as strong. you only need ot clay bar maybe once a year depending on how contaminated the paint will get. Again having protection on it, ie: wax/ceramic coating will make it stay cleaner longer.

3 - To properly polish the car you will need a polisher, do you have one? Are you willing to invest in one and learn? generally cost around $200 & up. 3D Products, CarPro, Geyon all make great products for this and more.

4 - Using something like Hydro 2 or Geyon WetCoat is more meant to maintain protection, for example if you have a ceramic coating you would apply these on top to help maintain the coating, I dont think I would only rely on it to fully protect your car & it wont last to long. you are better off with a quality wax from collnite that lasts min 6months and up to a year depending on which one you get.

Basically the way it works is you spend a full day or weekend doing everything properly, so decontaminate then claybar then polish the full car with a DA Polisher then add protection ie Wax/ceramic coating/sealant etc. That will make the car look super shiny and be protected. Then for the rest of the year the car will continue to look great with just maintenance wash's. So you wash the car and every 2nd or 3rd wash you spray something on it while drying like a sealant or even Geyon WetCoat and it will be super fast and easy to keep the car looking great.

If you just do the bare minimum the car will require more work and wont look as good.
flexgrip wrote:
Jan 15th, 2019 9:47 pm
I started reading up on detailing and it appears to be very time consuming. As a person who just washes his car when dirty, I am willing to invest some more time in "detailing" but don't want to go overboard. Looking for the fastest way to do the main detailing steps.

1) Wash - 2 Bucket Method (I'm ok with this, but if there is a faster method that gets the job done, let me know)
2) Decontaminate (Was thinking of using something like Iron X / Tar X or TRIX to get most of the contamination off). Don't think I will spend time clay barring it. Is this good enough?
3) Polish (Not sure what to use here - what is the easiest way to get out some minor swirl marks and give the car a shine? Paint is still in pretty good condition)
4) Seal (Seems like there are some very easy sealants these days such as Hydro2. Spray it on and rinse it off. No interest in wasting time waxing)

Are these 4 steps good enough to get a decent shine? Really looking for an easy option to do Step 3 - Polish. Any tips appreciated.
0_o
<_<
>_>