[OP]
Deal Addict
Apr 5, 2003
2070 posts
14 upvotes
Toronto

RFD Raptors Lounge

Welcome to the RFD Raptor's Lounge. A thread for discussion about our beloved Raptors.

:D
47048 replies
[OP]
Deal Addict
Apr 5, 2003
2070 posts
14 upvotes
Toronto
Time will tell for RaptorsNewcomers eager to prove themselves
By MIKE KOREEN, TORONTO SUN

On the eve of the Raptors' pre-season opener, Jalen Rose was asked how many of his teammates are proven NBA commodities and how many are question marks.

"Want me to take the time to count them? I don't know," Rose said before turning around to take a look at the players shooting free throws behind him.

"No comment."

With that, a pack of reporters enjoyed a good laugh. Rose speaks the truth and the truth might hurt this season.

The Raptors, with nine new players on their 19-player training-camp roster, begin their eight-game exhibition schedule tonight against the Utah Jazz at the Air Canada Centre. During the pre-season, Raptors coach Sam Mitchell wants to find out the answer to one key question.

"Can they play at 7 o'clock?" Mitchell said. "Is there anything more? I think that encompasses everything. If there's anything I need to learn other than who can play at 7 o'clock, please enlighten me. I would love to know. I know what they can do in practice. I want to see what they can do at 7 o'clock."

Along with determining a starting centre and picking a third point guard, the Raptors want to give plenty of court time to their young players.

First-round picks Charlie Villanueva and Joey Graham will make their debuts in front of Toronto fans tonight and the latter can't wait for the opportunity.

"I'm not going to be nervous, it's just like riding a bike," said the outgoing Graham, who seems to have a smile on his face all the time. "You just go out there and have fun. That's how I look at it.

"Everybody wants a gamer, that's what it is going to come down to. Who can put it together out there at 7 o'clock. I definitely think I'm one of those guys, I've done it day in and day out. We'll see (tonight)."

So far, Graham has made a good impression.

"I really like Joey Graham," Rose said.

"He's a strong kid, he's athletic, he can shoot the ball, he's young. He's a little older than the average rookie because we joke with him about playing six years in college (Graham played four years of college ball and took a year off to transfer to Oklahoma State from Central Florida).

"(But) I feel he's going to be a real good player."

So how do you guys think we will finish this season? I don't really expect any greatness from this team. We are def. on a youth movement. This year will probably be frustrating as hell for Raps fans, but hopefully the young guys get a solid year of experience under their belt, and we get a top draft pick for next year that will help us add some depth (hopefully at the SG position.)
Deal Fanatic
Nov 12, 2003
7793 posts
37 upvotes
babysham wrote:So how do you guys think we will finish this season? I don't really expect any greatness from this team. We are def. on a youth movement. This year will probably be frustrating as hell for Raps fans, but hopefully the young guys get a solid year of experience under their belt, and we get a top draft pick for next year that will help us add some depth (hopefully at the SG position.)
this is a rebuilding year.. but.. on the optimistic side.. the Raptors can sneak into the playoffs if everything falls in place.

the team has no problems scoring.. as evident last year.. we may have lost VC and Marshall and Rafer.. but CV3 and Graham and JAmes can fill the basket in their place.

What Toronto has done though.. it's improve greatly on the defensive end.
Mo Peterson, James, and Graham will greatly help the perimeter defense that was non-exsistant last year.. and you want CV3 and Bosh inside.

We also upgraded the PG position from Rafer/Palacio to JAmes/Calderon/3rd stringer... we finally have the 'true PG' we always needed in Calderon.. but we'll see how he adjusts to the NBA game.

The Raptors probably won't be letting in 100 pts game on average.. but I think is the Raptors give up about 92 a game.. and can score about 96 a game.. we'll be fine.

i predict probalby 38 wins... depending on how Captain Crunch plays.. maybe be able to squeeze a bit more wins out
Deal Addict
Aug 3, 2004
1571 posts
9 upvotes
also going to the game tonight, upper bowl seats tho. will try to take some pics from the game and post it up here for all to view tonight.

i'm guessing 36~40 wins. Yes i'm an optimist. Hopeful that if the young guys play unselfishly, no head cases and just straight team ball, we can do very well.

we'll have a slight preview tonight!
Heatware: 40-0-0
Deal Guru
Nov 19, 2002
11934 posts
240 upvotes
It will be nice to see a slightly less porous defense this year, actually. That has always been more frustating for me than offensive troubles. I hope they can find a way to score, but I'm not optimistic.

I see them around the same - anywhere from 33-40 wins, but I have a feeling it will be the lower end, with no playoffs for us this year.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 12, 2003
7793 posts
37 upvotes
deep wrote:It will be nice to see a slightly less porous defense this year, actually. That has always been more frustating for me than offensive troubles. I hope they can find a way to score, but I'm not optimistic.

I see them around the same - anywhere from 33-40 wins, but I have a feeling it will be the lower end, with no playoffs for us this year.
actually. the Raps don't have a problem scoring.. we did average 99.3ppg last year on the offensive end..

sure.. the shot selection leaves much to be desired.. but i think we are ok on the offensive end.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 1, 2003
6140 posts
132 upvotes
Toronto
it kinda sucks that 2 years ago, we were a really great defensive team with Kevin O Neil.......but no offense.......then with Mitchell we had so much offense, but poor defense.......hopefully we'll find some middle ground sometime soon.

i dont see the raptors having problems with "ppl launching up shots" all the tiem.......only person i cans ee doing that would be Jalen.

Mo Pete isn't a selfish player. Occasionally he launches up 3's when he feels like he's on top of the world lol......but hey he hits some of those, so i dont mind too much.

If bosh got the ball 60% of the time he's on the floor, its not like i'd be upset. Its in trusting hands.

And I highly doubt CV3/Grahm are goign to hog the ball because their rookies and will get their arses beat if they do.

And Calderon is supposed to be a pass-first point guard, so im really excited about seeing him play. I rememebr the comments I kept hearing about him was that in euro ball, his assists are like 3 -4 per game or something, but i think when someone went to scout him, they said they tallied about like 8-9 assits a game....so im really looking forward to seeing how he plays out this season. and he's on my fantasy team so he better get a lot of minutes ;)
Deal Fanatic
Nov 12, 2003
7793 posts
37 upvotes
SwiZz wrote: And Calderon is supposed to be a pass-first point guard, so im really excited about seeing him play. I rememebr the comments I kept hearing about him was that in euro ball, his assists are like 3 -4 per game or something, but i think when someone went to scout him, they said they tallied about like 8-9 assits a game....so im really looking forward to seeing how he plays out this season. and he's on my fantasy team so he better get a lot of minutes ;)
yeah.. Europe has this weird system.. i think you only get an assist if you pass it to the scorer and he immediately goes to the bucket.. if he dribbles.. no assist.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Apr 5, 2003
2070 posts
14 upvotes
Toronto
Alvin Williams steps it up
By Mike Koreen, Toronto Sun

Alvin Williams took another step toward playing a real game yesterday.

The Raptors point guard, who missed all of last season after undergoing surgery on his right knee, took part in his first full scrimmage yesterday during practice.

"(Monday), I practised two hours, which was the longest I've practised, and I came out (yesterday) and scrimmaged and it felt pretty good," Williams said.

Williams will not play in the Raptors' pre-season opener tonight against the Utah Jazz at the Air Canada Centre.

When asked if he has a target date for a game, Williams said, "As soon as possible. I haven't really gone over the schedules with the coaches, the trainers and the doctors. Right now, my body feels like I can go out there and play. I've just got to get into condition. My conditioning is not that good."

When he does return, Williams might have to make a few adjustments to his game.

"Right from the beginning, I won't be jetting down the court," he said. "I've just got to guard people a little differently.

"Sometimes I may have to give up something in order to compensate for the lack of (recent playing time)."

This is good news. Alvin Williams is one of my all-time favourite Raptors. The guy gives it his all every game. With his experience, hustle, and determination, he would be a great asset to the team, and a great character for the younger guys to look up to.
Banned
Jan 11, 2004
19816 posts
555 upvotes
rdtx2002 wrote:this is a rebuilding year.. but.. on the optimistic side.. the Raptors can sneak into the playoffs if everything falls in place.

the team has no problems scoring.. as evident last year.. we may have lost VC and Marshall and Rafer.. but CV3 and Graham and JAmes can fill the basket in their place.

What Toronto has done though.. it's improve greatly on the defensive end.
Mo Peterson, James, and Graham will greatly help the perimeter defense that was non-exsistant last year.. and you want CV3 and Bosh inside.

We also upgraded the PG position from Rafer/Palacio to JAmes/Calderon/3rd stringer... we finally have the 'true PG' we always needed in Calderon.. but we'll see how he adjusts to the NBA game.

The Raptors probably won't be letting in 100 pts game on average.. but I think is the Raptors give up about 92 a game.. and can score about 96 a game.. we'll be fine.

i predict probalby 38 wins... depending on how Captain Crunch plays.. maybe be able to squeeze a bit more wins out
you gotta be kidding me.. you expect CV3 and JG to fill the shoes of legitimate star players of Marshall and VC :lol: :lol:

you are saying two unknown and not highly regarded rookies from middle of the draft are gonna fill the shoes of two departed stars?

James is no better than rafer in that he gives slightly better defence at expense of offence.

this year there is no way the craptors can do better than last year.

we lost a lot of the offence from last year and in their place we put in a couple of backup calibre rookies and journeyman guard :lol:
Deal Fanatic
Nov 12, 2003
7793 posts
37 upvotes
gilboman wrote:you gotta be kidding me.. you expect CV3 and JG to fill the shoes of legitimate star players of Marshall and VC :lol: :lol:
I said in their place.. not replace them 100%... you need to learn to interpret what I say better ;)

and Marshall is not a 'star' player
you are saying two unknown and not highly regarded rookies from middle of the draft are gonna fill the shoes of two departed stars?
I wouldn't say Joey Graham and CV3 are unknowns.. they are known in the NCAA (they were ranked in the Top20 in the NCAA draft boards).. and like I said before.. Donyell marshall is not a 'star'.. a good player yes.. but not a star that you make him out to be.
James is no better than rafer in that he gives slightly better defence at expense of offence.
and that is a bad thing?.. we struggled last year when Rafer kept getting beat off the dribble.. there is less chance of that happening this year.
this year there is no way the craptors can do better than last year.
and if they do beat their 33-49 season.. you will shut up about it and admit you were wrong?.. I believe the Raptors are better than what the 'media' makes them out to be.. like I predicted before.. i think about 35-38 wins
we lost a lot of the offence from last year and in their place we put in a couple of backup calibre rookies and journeyman guard :lol:
how much offense have we lost really?... Donyell averaged about 10ppg.. and Carter while still on the Raptors when he traded averaged about 15ppg.

you saying CV3 and Joey Graham can't make up the 20-24ppg? don't forget Chris Bosh averaged 4ppg more after the Carter deal.. so... where have we loss offense? we have lost 'some'.. but no 'a lot' as you are interpreting.

backup calibre rookies? man.. you may argue other stuff well.. but you sure have no clue on this one man.. you haven't even watch them and you call them backup calibre?.. sure.. there were good signs when CV3 and Joey Graham scored 22 and 20 in the intresquad game.. but they are far from the predictions you make them out to be. CV3 is probably the best potential talented bigman in the draft that is not Andrew Bogut... i'm sorry.. but I don't see where you can say backup cablire rookies.. but then.. maybe you only know names like Gerald Green or Marvin Williams.. or you listen to Bob McCowan too much

Rafer and James is pretty much a wash.. RAfer may have averaged 16 ppg.. but that is playing an average of 9 mins more than James.. and James averaged 13 ppg.

Mike James may be a journeyman guard.. but he is a scorer.. he provides leadership, he is a better defensive player and he has won an NBA championship.. can you say that about Wafer Alston?
Deal Addict
Nov 25, 2002
3810 posts
7 upvotes
gilboman wrote:James is no better than rafer in that he gives slightly better defence at expense of offence.

So? We lose let's say 5 extra ppg that Rafer would've gotten that James can't. But we gain 10 ppg given up with James playing defense that Rafer couldn't. How's that bad?

Glad you find their "offensive woes" hilarious. Who will ever make up the 15ppg that Carter scored?! Just because he and Donyell are gone, doesn't mean the team just loses their points...it just means other people will be taking their shots. Give the ball to Jalen, Mo Pete, Bosh and they'll score. Besides, Graham is an upgrade defensively over Carter and the team overall has improved defensively so that means they give up fewer ppg.

I'm going with what I said in the other thread, with them finishing around 36-46. Depending on how well the team gels, how the rookies do and whether injuries play a part or not, the total could be off by quite a bit. I don't really see playoffs for them but hey, the lottery's not a bad thing for a rebuilding team.
i think this line's mostly filler
[OP]
Deal Addict
Apr 5, 2003
2070 posts
14 upvotes
Toronto
Tierre Brown with 24 points in the first preseason game? Tierre Brown?? Weren't Laker fans calling him "Tierrible" Brown last year....
Banned
Jan 11, 2004
19816 posts
555 upvotes
rdtx2002 wrote:I said in their place.. not replace them 100%... you need to learn to interpret what I say better ;)

and Marshall is not a 'star' player

I wouldn't say Joey Graham and CV3 are unknowns.. they are known in the NCAA (they were ranked in the Top20 in the NCAA draft boards).. and like I said before.. Donyell marshall is not a 'star'.. a good player yes.. but not a star that you make him out to be.

and that is a bad thing?.. we struggled last year when Rafer kept getting beat off the dribble.. there is less chance of that happening this year.

and if they do beat their 33-49 season.. you will shut up about it and admit you were wrong?.. I believe the Raptors are better than what the 'media' makes them out to be.. like I predicted before.. i think about 35-38 wins

how much offense have we lost really?... Donyell averaged about 10ppg.. and Carter while still on the Raptors when he traded averaged about 15ppg.

you saying CV3 and Joey Graham can't make up the 20-24ppg? don't forget Chris Bosh averaged 4ppg more after the Carter deal.. so... where have we loss offense? we have lost 'some'.. but no 'a lot' as you are interpreting.

backup calibre rookies? man.. you may argue other stuff well.. but you sure have no clue on this one man.. you haven't even watch them and you call them backup calibre?.. sure.. there were good signs when CV3 and Joey Graham scored 22 and 20 in the intresquad game.. but they are far from the predictions you make them out to be. CV3 is probably the best potential talented bigman in the draft that is not Andrew Bogut... i'm sorry.. but I don't see where you can say backup cablire rookies.. but then.. maybe you only know names like Gerald Green or Marvin Williams.. or you listen to Bob McCowan too much

Rafer and James is pretty much a wash.. RAfer may have averaged 16 ppg.. but that is playing an average of 9 mins more than James.. and James averaged 13 ppg.

Mike James may be a journeyman guard.. but he is a scorer.. he provides leadership, he is a better defensive player and he has won an NBA championship.. can you say that about Wafer Alston?
So are you saying CV3 and JG are starter quality players on any decent team :lol: :lol: :lol: on any non terrible team, they will be on the bench when the ball is tipped off. ;)

as for marshall, no he is no all star, but he can rebound, stretch the defence and score from inside or outside. CV3 maybe able to bang inside a bit this year and that's about all that's expected.

they are decent players, but if you want to argue they can fill the void of marshall and carter; then :|

well mike james sure was a big part of the NBA champions wasn't he? :lol: :lol:

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (1 member and 0 guests)

jesguerra