Sports & Recreation

RFD Raptors Lounge

Deal Guru
Mar 20, 2009
10168 posts
8298 upvotes
Toronto
Dreamrider wrote: what a story ending it could have been...
oldest raptor Lowry hitting Championship wining shot at home...
Just sets up a good redemption arc for Thursday...
"When someone is burning a book, they are showing utter contempt for all of the thinking that produced its ideas, all of the labor that went into its words and sentences, and all of the trouble that befell the author . . .” ― Lemony Snicket
Deal Fanatic
Apr 23, 2007
5156 posts
1315 upvotes
London
MyNameWasTaken wrote: Entire game was odd. After the KD injury and the reaction, it just took away from the whole game for me. The hot takes from the media should be good though. So many people selling out the fans on social media for the reaction after KD got injured. Pathetic display all around. I was actually enjoying the game with Durant in it. I hope he recovers quickly
Yes, that was a weird game for sure. I didn’t care much for the win after what happened. The fans and their disgusting behaviour and an all-time great like Durant suffering a career-altering injury because of a terrible decision by the Warriors management. Just left a bad taste in my mouth. It wasn’t even about basketball anymore.
Deal Guru
Feb 14, 2006
10084 posts
1418 upvotes
Man what a night, was paining so hard at how up and down we played, and the KD injury which changed the atmosphere of the game. Warriors felt anger, Raptors felt guilt and looked like they eased up.

This is one added mental block of having lost by one point and the fact that you're expected to win since you've beaten the same GS team without Durant 3 times already.

Although it would've been nice to win the championship tonight, it wouldn't feel right with KD going down in the same game.

Best outcome - Raps win at home in 7, but I think we'll take it in 6 in Oakland.
Deal Expert
Sep 21, 2010
15185 posts
4647 upvotes
Montréal
mcg wrote: Man what a night, was paining so hard at how up and down we played, and the KD injury which changed the atmosphere of the game. Warriors felt anger, Raptors felt guilt and looked like they eased up.

This is one added mental block of having lost by one point and the fact that you're expected to win since you've beaten the same GS team without Durant 3 times already.

Although it would've been nice to win the championship tonight, it wouldn't feel right with KD going down in the same game.

Best outcome - Raps win at home in 7, but I think we'll take it in 6 in Oakland.
Wrong, unless you can guarantee it. Game 7s and Toronto don't go very well. Get it done in G6, they let this one get away just like G2, hopefully they can close it next game.
Hard work, inheritance, interest on interest accumulating, and stock and real estate speculation. It's all good.
Deal Expert
Sep 21, 2010
15185 posts
4647 upvotes
Montréal
rebel_rfd wrote: Lowry called the TO

Nurse said that they would lose one timeout at the 3 min mark and wanted to give his guys a breather.
A breather from lighting the scoreboard in fire? J...x..C.

That ranks down there as one of the worst boneheaded reasoning/decisions, like that Baltimore baseball mgr refusing to use his terminator closer Britton in that close game 'cuz it wasn't a save situation'....why for all that is holy...why? they had it....man....SMH.
Hard work, inheritance, interest on interest accumulating, and stock and real estate speculation. It's all good.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 17, 2012
5397 posts
476 upvotes
Toronto
Can we start a petition to attach a shocker to Siakam that goes off whenever he sneaks into the corner? What the hell is he doing there all the time? He is not a good 3 point shooter, he doesn't look all that comfortable driving baseline, and having him in the corner eliminates him as an offensive rebounder, not to mention he is not there to get passes from penetration in the post. He has no business standing in the corner all day...we have Green for that! Siakam should be running the screen and roll, like Ibaka and Gasol do, not trying to create his own shot off the dribble from the 3point line.

I am starting to think that I would rather see PS coming off the bench. Start Gasol and Ibaka together. Can you imagine the defensive power of having Lowry - Green - Kawhi - Ibaka - Gasol? With that lineup you would have the extra length to defend the Curry's pick-n-pop, and have the size to challenge any penetration. I might also like to see a taller, longer guy covering Curry. VanVleet has done a very good job staying with Curry but the screens are what is killing us - VanVleet does not have the length to contest pick-n-pop 3's. Get someone long like Kawhi on him and it is a different story. Kawhi can bother the shot of Curry from the other side of those screens with his long arms and giant hands! Look what Ibaka's long arms did in his block of Thompson, and Thompson is what, 6'7?

The main question I have is WhyTF did they run the pick-n-roll so infrequently? That has been the play that has been dominating GSW. How many times in this series have wee seen the pick-n-roll end up with Gasol or Ibaka getting an easy baskets down the middle of the lane or the ball handler going directly to the hoop? Then, when the defense starts to collapse, you start getting easy 3's and mid-range jumpers. They barely did this in game 5. They suddenly transformed from the Kawhi Leonard Raptors into the Demar Derozan Raptors. And, I hate to say it, as great as Kawhi is and as great as he was late in the 4th quarter - he reminded me a lot of Derozan in that game. He was forcing things, trying to penetrate on far too often on double and triple teams, and was forcing his shot. If the Raptors would just hammer away on the pick-n-roll, and focus more on penetrating, which they can do with ease, rather than shooting 3's, this series would have been over already.

And why has Powell received so few minutes in this series? GSW struggles against quick guards who can get to the hoop. I've watched Lowry, VanVleet and Powell get to the basket with ease in this series. And good things happen when they do it. GSW have no interior defense. They either end up with easy layins, foul calls that get Green Technical Fouls, or dump off to the big guys for easy dunks and layins. Even with Looney in the game the GSW interior defense is pathetic. Powell can take that ball and throw it down on their faces! I may be crazy but I would rather see Powell than Green, simply because Green stands in the corner and does nothing which helps a team like GSW for it allows his man to rest and allows GSW to cheat off into double and triple teams.

To wrap up this long post...that last possession was horrendous. Why did they take 5 seconds to set up a play that amounted to Kawhi trying to get iso only to be double teamed? Kawhi is a great player but his strength is not getting the ball 30 feet from the basket and driving straight to the hoop - he is not Lebron. Then, in my opinion, VanVleet should have driven that ball. He had old man river Livingston on his right hip and was already half past him. He should have driven that ball straight at the basket. If Green does not step up then he can lay it in. If Green does step up then he can dump it to Gasol for an easy layin. But VanVleet decided to kick it to Lowry which, is not a horrible decision, but he did it too quickly. VanVleet needed to show penetration. He needed to take at least one more step towards the basket to draw Green towards him. By just skipping it to Lowry Green did not have to cheat away from Lowry and was easily able to get to Lowry and interfere with his shot. And if we really want to get picky with hit...Lowry could have steped in for a 2, he had time, and he could have done a curry and moved in Green's path as he came charging out putting the pressure on the refs not to call the foul.
Deal Expert
Mar 1, 2008
19157 posts
9081 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
Apparently a Raptors fan sucker punched a Warriors fan. Wtf?
RFD is love. RFD is life.
Deal Addict
Dec 27, 2013
3731 posts
1526 upvotes
Woodbridge
blexann wrote: It was a weird final position, don't really want the ball in his hands.
Yeah - I'm not sure he was ever supposed to get the ball there. I see people on Twitter blaming him and I just shake my head. Is there any justification for not calling the TO there? I heard Nurse (fail to) try to justify taking one before 3 minutes, but nothing about why they didn't take one there. They had 54 points in the paint last night. Kawhi needs to take that to the rim with an option to dish it early enough that if a shot misses you still have time to foul and get another crack at it. 8/32 from 3 hurt.
Penalty Box
Jul 28, 2010
719 posts
134 upvotes
Craptors suck, gsw is from a different cloth, craptors are peasants who had a lucky run times up now craptors
They sicken of the calm, who knew the storm
Deal Addict
Sep 29, 2005
3129 posts
744 upvotes
Pickering
Raptors had no business winning that game, the way those 3's were dropping for the Warriors and how KD was initially treated by our so called fans would of been a crappy way to win if Lowrys shot went in. Had a feeling they wouldn't take game 5, I'm positive they will win game 6 or 7, but they need to get back to business.
The only thing worse than human ignorance is human pride in that ignorance.
Deal Addict
Feb 2, 2017
1834 posts
2708 upvotes
Other Side of Tracks
Today I learned that the GSW GM cares about starving children...oh wait! he's just crying because a guy with an achilles injury and $200million in the bank is now unable to make it $400 million and stock up on a few more Lambos, nothing about starving children

And I also learned from the same people that Toronto fans are Satan

So much accurate perspective

Last edited by l1197493 on Jun 11th, 2019 7:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
I don't want to set the world on fire, I just want to start a flame in your heart.
Mar 25, 2008
202 posts
24 upvotes
My connected friend who broke that Durant was playing well before I saw anywhere else had this to say...
As a BIG NBA guy, it was pretty bad TOR performance. Outside of that 3 minute spurt late in the 4th, Kawhi was horrible. Was he sick, hurt or just flat / passive? Trying to out-3 the GS Warriors is not a good strategy and resulted in an awful 8/32 25% from 3, while TOR outscored GS 54-32 in the paint. Why did they waste 2.5 qtrs. bombing threes instead of attacking the paint??? All of GS bigs are either hurt (Durant, Looney) or old / slow (Bogut, Cousins).
Then the timeout by Nurse when Kawhi finally got going taking away ALL the TOR momentum with 5 minutes to go. Then to top it ALL off, NO Timeout with 15 seconds down 1 and chance to win it all??? Kawhi goes passive (again), no set play, terrible execution and bomb an unnecessary 3 that hits the side of the backboard as time expires. AWFUL.
I appreciate your sentiment. But that was a terrible TOR game plan, game, everything. Very disappointed. I still think they should win the series but they better get their heads outta their asses and attack the paint. You won't out-3 the GS Warriors.
Deal Addict
Jun 6, 2015
2029 posts
2009 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
My friend took today off in anticipation of the win last night... lol
Deal Fanatic
Jan 17, 2012
5397 posts
476 upvotes
Toronto
OntEdTchr wrote: Yeah - I'm not sure he was ever supposed to get the ball there. I see people on Twitter blaming him and I just shake my head. Is there any justification for not calling the TO there? I heard Nurse (fail to) try to justify taking one before 3 minutes, but nothing about why they didn't take one there. They had 54 points in the paint last night. Kawhi needs to take that to the rim with an option to dish it early enough that if a shot misses you still have time to foul and get another crack at it. 8/32 from 3 hurt.
Running an iso with Kawhi, who faces double and e teams at every turn was stupid. They should have run a high pick and roll with Lowry/VanVleet and Gasol rolling and Lenonard slashing to the basket behind Gasol. If they didn’t cover Gasol well it would have been an easy Layup, if they crash on Gasol Leonard can slash into the key for an easy jumped, and if none of that works you will have open shooters on the wing.

Standing around watching really doomed them because it allowed Green to get out on Lowry.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 31, 2006
8541 posts
2655 upvotes
Toronto
If the series reach game 7, I doubt anyone still going to Jurassic park, everyone will think raps is a choker. They better finish it at Oracle Centre
Deal Expert
Mar 1, 2008
19157 posts
9081 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
Another thought came into my head this morning. I think fans may have been cheering when KD got hurt because initially, his actions caused a turnover. Only later did the fans realize KD got hurt. To be fair, he just went down holding his ankle which happens fairly often and then players get back up shortly after. Initially it didn't look that serious on TV.
chevyz07 wrote: My friend took today off in anticipation of the win last night... lol
I think a lot of people did. Traffic on Steeles Avenue was good today lol.
RFD is love. RFD is life.
Deal Guru
Mar 10, 2005
12349 posts
5403 upvotes
OntEdTchr wrote: Yeah - I'm not sure he was ever supposed to get the ball there. I see people on Twitter blaming him and I just shake my head. Is there any justification for not calling the TO there? I heard Nurse (fail to) try to justify taking one before 3 minutes, but nothing about why they didn't take one there. They had 54 points in the paint last night. Kawhi needs to take that to the rim with an option to dish it early enough that if a shot misses you still have time to foul and get another crack at it. 8/32 from 3 hurt.
Lowry or Nurse took an ill-advised timeout with 3 15 remaining after a Klay miss and up by 6 with the crowd going crazy. That was the game IMO no need for that timeout.

Boogie foul and Draymond turnover at the end they handed it to us and we couldn't deliver.

KD was still enough for them with the limited minutes and emotional charge after he goes down.

No excuse for not closing this out in gm6 with no chance of KD coming back.
"If you want to improve, be content to be thought foolish and stupid." - Epictetus
Deal Fanatic
Jan 31, 2006
8541 posts
2655 upvotes
Toronto
hightech wrote: Image

This guy royally sucks. Overpaid and needs to start producing. I can't wait till they trade this SOB.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 20, 2010
6230 posts
4830 upvotes
Last night was truly heartbreaking. Going home on public transit was a horrible experience. It was a sea of sadness at the Yonge/Bloor subway. I spoke to several fellow Raptors fans and the somber mood was that of a funeral.

Toronto Raptors have to heal the city. The healing better come on Thursday because Sunday could be too late for our people.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)