Sports & Recreation

RFD Raptors Lounge

Deal Addict
Dec 20, 2015
4501 posts
2892 upvotes
Toronto, ON
UrbanPoet wrote: Siakim dropping 40 tonight! He is long over due for a break out performance.
Yea I'll take that! I'm just so nervous and anxious for this game to start!!!
If you like the post or the comment, then don't forget to SMASH that LIKE BUTTON!
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2004
52935 posts
18144 upvotes
ONTARIO
vernonco wrote: Yeah we can hope. Long overdue. I would be happy with 25
He keeps trying hard and doesnt back down.
Sucks he got a lot of missed layups and shots. He isnt taking particularly bad shots. Thats why he’s getting left there for 55 minutes a game.

His job is actually to be the aggressive one offensively.

We’ll see what kind of baller he is. A true baller would just say fck it... and take it to the hole for a slam jammer!!!!
Deal Addict
Jul 16, 2019
1648 posts
865 upvotes
UrbanPoet wrote: He keeps trying hard and doesnt back down.
Sucks he got a lot of missed layups and shots. He isnt taking particularly bad shots. Thats why he’s getting left there for 55 minutes a game.

We’ll see what kind of baller he is. A true baller would just say fck it... and take it to the hole for a slam jammer!!!!
I agree. Our guys (except Lowry and VanVleet) seems to be nervous about Boston D and we need more slam jams and fast breaks. Rather have a few offensive fouls than a sluggish half court game. We were one of the best teams for fast breaks and we very little in this series.
Deal Guru
Apr 11, 2006
12388 posts
6570 upvotes
Vaughan
UrbanPoet wrote: He keeps trying hard and doesnt back down.

Siakam's issue is that he pauses and thinks for a bit before making a move sometimes. On those post-up situations, whenever he has turned and made his move right away, it has usually been a high percentage shot off a drive, or a foul. But too often, he catches the ball, turns and waits. That allows help defenders to creep one step closer or the primary defender to just gather themselves and reposition slightly so that they can move their feet and defend better. If you're the LeBron's, AD's, Kawhi's, etc. sure wait all you want. But he needs to attack right away.

He also likes to lean back when taking mid-range jump shots even when unnecessary.
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2004
52935 posts
18144 upvotes
ONTARIO
kenchau wrote: Siakam's issue is that he pauses and thinks for a bit before making a move sometimes. On those post-up situations, whenever he has turned and made his move right away, it has usually been a high percentage shot off a drive, or a foul. But too often, he catches the ball, turns and waits. That allows help defenders to creep one step closer or the primary defender to just gather themselves and reposition slightly so that they can move their feet and defend better. If you're the LeBron's, AD's, Kawhi's, etc. sure wait all you want. But he needs to attack right away.

He also likes to lean back when taking mid-range jump shots even when unnecessary.
Could be 2 things.

1. A sign of mentAl weakness. Getting crushed under the pressure of the playoffs

2. A sign of Boston’s talented and crushing defence.

If its #2 leading to a bit of #1... he is sort doing his job since it draws in defensive attention from the opposing team.
Thing is he isnt a great passer. Just a barely good enough type passer.
Deal Guru
Apr 8, 2013
10205 posts
753 upvotes
I dont know why people are crying about Siakam.

Celtics defense is focused on him and still he gets good shots. That means it is all mental.

But him being on the floor takes pressure off the rest of the guys.

I would rather have him play bad and win than play good and lose.

I just want to make SAS look stupid again for thinking the Raptors sucks. Same thing he did last year.
Deal Addict
Jul 16, 2019
1648 posts
865 upvotes
kevindurant1 wrote: I dont know why people are crying about Siakam.

Celtics defense is focused on him and still he gets good shots. That means it is all mental.

I just want to make SAS look stupid again for thinking the Raptors sucks. Same thing he did last year.
Siakam is supposed to be the No 1 guy offensively. So says his contract and past performance. He needs to finish better. Boston is NOT focused on him to the level that they should be. Most teams tend to double team him when he is playing well. At this point Boston does not need to send the help and that is the problem. I think he can fix it and its more a confidence thing than actual capability
Deal Fanatic
Aug 31, 2017
5182 posts
3058 upvotes
.... before the crazy takes later tonight, just remember..... Smiling Face With Open Mouth And Smiling Eyes

Regardless of what happens tonight, enjoy the moment y'all, it won't last forever. We're pretty blessed to have made consecutive trips to the playoffs, ECF, and of course champions.

LET'S GO RAPTORS!!!!! Grinning Face With Smiling Eyes
Deal Guru
Mar 31, 2008
13010 posts
3095 upvotes
Toronto
UrbanPoet wrote: Could be 2 things.

1. A sign of mentAl weakness. Getting crushed under the pressure of the playoffs

2. A sign of Boston’s talented and crushing defence.

If its #2 leading to a bit of #1... he is sort doing his job since it draws in defensive attention from the opposing team.
Thing is he isnt a great passer. Just a barely good enough type passer.
I agree. He's not used to the size and quickness, along with strength and physical disruption. So he's at a loss and just like last year, his confidence was shaken. Mentally, he's re-guessing everything about himself, but defensively, he still seems to be aggressive and on point from the limited games I've been able to watch.

But we have been here under this pressure before, and have also been written off, so I think mentally, we'll take it, including Siakam. No jitters here vs Boston which seems to be just negative and quite entitled. But there were signs of that weakness in the first round, where he didn't really have any sort of dominating performance.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 20, 2010
6228 posts
4827 upvotes
Still have less than 8 hours to find a place to watch this Game 7. Man, I really miss the days when I could just walk into a sports bar and grab a seat and beer with other fans. Bummer, Cineplex is already sold out. :(
Deal Guru
Apr 8, 2013
10205 posts
753 upvotes
vernonco wrote: Siakam is supposed to be the No 1 guy offensively. So says his contract and past performance. He needs to finish better. Boston is NOT focused on him to the level that they should be. Most teams tend to double team him when he is playing well. At this point Boston does not need to send the help and that is the problem. I think he can fix it and its more a confidence thing than actual capability
Contracts is Ujiri's job. We know what he does. If they do not perform, they get traded.

Boston IS focused on him. They are taking away his strengths but again, he gets good shots because of our system.

What you do not understand is that the more the Celtics are on him the better. It leaves the others with more spacing.

Do not get so obsessed with stats. It is all about the W.
Penalty Box
Feb 11, 2015
7918 posts
55317 upvotes
Toronto, ON
I'd be disappointed if the Raptors lost in Round 2. Last year, they made us all believe. I just hope their tv fans inspire them enough to make them aware there is a city behind them, and they do not need to come home yet lol. Round 3, and we didn't sign up a big name due to lateness, I'd be proud. I know it's just one game, but I gotta watch it, and for whatever reason, it'll still be the most watched game of this series. Clippers got bumped to an earlier time, is 9pm really primetime? lol

I'd only be disappointed because the previous playoffs, they usually got to round 1/2, seems like a little momentum would change. but i wouldn't take away from their grit, I hope they have the energy for it, and maybe a little magic like game 3 if need be lol

well, the whole city yes, but a country, forgot it's a national franchise. Don't know when we'll get eyes for the next season, but I heard Toronto and Miami are considering Giannis. Might be a better season for them next year.

and not to say they won't win this year, let's keep the hope going. just figure when there's less concentration on Siakam, he shines, with another star. Lowry is a different star, but his gameplay is always respected or puts a childish grin on your face like that bellyflop dive after the shot in 2nd ot. We'll see what happens, this is when I should get off the computer, when I start posting too much. Outtie
Deal Guru
Mar 20, 2009
10165 posts
8291 upvotes
Toronto
kevindurant1 wrote: I dont know why people are crying about Siakam.

I'd understand if he was choking on both offense and defense, but this clearly isn't the case.
Celtics defense is no joke, and the extra coverage they dedicate leaves opportunity for others.
Kawhi did not entirely define the championship team - for me, it was when some players were off, others rose to the task.

Tonight, I'm not expecting the Celtics to change strategies, and as such, I'm not expecting Siakam to have a blowout game against them. Celtics know their plan is strong, where pretty much all of our wins could just as easily have been losses.

My hope is that Gasol gets in the zone offensively. He's slowly been taking more shots, and I hope this continues (via penetration, and less with 3's).

As always, my hope is they find a way to score early and often.
Certainly the home team needs to win at least once?
"When someone is burning a book, they are showing utter contempt for all of the thinking that produced its ideas, all of the labor that went into its words and sentences, and all of the trouble that befell the author . . .” ― Lemony Snicket
Deal Addict
Jan 12, 2017
3685 posts
4751 upvotes
B.C.
stinastr wrote: I'd be disappointed if the Raptors lost in Round 2. Last year, they made us all believe. I just hope their tv fans inspire them enough to make them aware there is a city behind them, and they do not need to come home yet lol. Round 3, and we didn't sign up a big name due to lateness, I'd be proud. I know it's just one game, but I gotta watch it, and for whatever reason, it'll still be the most watched game of this series. Clippers got bumped to an earlier time, is 9pm really primetime? lol

I'd only be disappointed because the previous playoffs, they usually got to round 1/2, seems like a little momentum would change. but i wouldn't take away from their grit, I hope they have the energy for it, and maybe a little magic like game 3 if need be lol

well, the whole city yes, but a country, forgot it's a national franchise. Don't know when we'll get eyes for the next season, but I heard Toronto and Miami are considering Giannis. Might be a better season for them next year.

and not to say they won't win this year, let's keep the hope going. just figure when there's less concentration on Siakam, he shines, with another star. Lowry is a different star, but his gameplay is always respected or puts a childish grin on your face like that bellyflop dive after the shot in 2nd ot. We'll see what happens, this is when I should get off the computer, when I start posting too much. Outtie

not me, As long as they don't get embarrassingly blown out in game 7, I'll be very happy with this season.
All I wanted from them this season was to go out an prove to the world that it was not just Kawhi who won the chip last year. Show everyone that Kawhi had really good teammates.
I saw everything I needed to see in this series vs BOS. I think they showed everyone they are Champions.
BOS is really good team, could easily be #1 team in east, there is no shame in losing hard fraught series to BOS, 2nd round or not.
Deal Guru
Apr 11, 2006
12388 posts
6570 upvotes
Vaughan
Dreamrider wrote: not me, As long as they don't get embarrassingly blown out in game 7, I'll be very happy with this season.
All I wanted from them this season was to go out an prove to the world that it was not just Kawhi who won the chip last year. Show everyone that Kawhi had really good teammates.
I saw everything I needed to see in this series vs BOS. I think they showed everyone they are Champions.
BOS is really good team, could easily be #1 team in east, there is no shame in losing hard fraught series to BOS, 2nd round or not.
Exactly, I just want at the very least that the Raptors show up to play in Game 7. If they bring that, I won't be disappointed with whatever the end result is.

But I am telling you, tonight is Siakam's time to shine. He's been waiting for 9pm Prime Time. Let's go Spicy P!!! Smiling Face With Open Mouth
Penalty Box
Feb 11, 2015
7918 posts
55317 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Dreamrider wrote: not me, As long as they don't get embarrassingly blown out in game 7, I'll be very happy with this season.
yeah, maybe I wouldn't be disappointed. Just wouldn't think they're that much of a better team than previous. Although the NBA is getting better, and I'm not a stats guy myself. I'd be like, we need a star centre to get us in the paint or crowd the rim and pass out for easy 3's.

Maybe the series is great, and it is, but we're the champs this year. Recently it's been a team or two opposing teams competing, the Raps took it that way. Raptors don't have hands, expect the claws to come out. Hopefully no one fouls out.

I'd also love to see some dunks, yes from Siakam, or alley oops with OG. Only sure way to put the ball in the basket but looks pretty too.
Deal Guru
Aug 5, 2006
10745 posts
7903 upvotes
Global Village
All day I dream about sports

Tangerine, Meridian, EQ Bank, Simplii, CIBC Investor's Edge
Mar 10, 2004
897 posts
376 upvotes
kenchau wrote: Exactly, I just want at the very least that the Raptors show up to play in Game 7. If they bring that, I won't be disappointed with whatever the end result is.

But I am telling you, tonight is Siakam's time to shine. He's been waiting for 9pm Prime Time. Let's go Spicy P!!! Smiling Face With Open Mouth
Yup. Regardless of outcome i ve enjoyed the raptors season and post season. Heres hoping they have enough fight left in them for tonight.
Penalty Box
Feb 11, 2015
7918 posts
55317 upvotes
Toronto, ON
What do you do if they are prepared for the Kemba blocks and are going to do combos between players and Tatum? They probably did lots of drills and are preparing for the layout but like someone from Miami said, the Raptors are just unpredictable. You never know what's up their sleeve. And I see that as a benefit, cuz even though we're the champs, after being down, we're coming up for a showing tonight. Not going to think what the Raptors could be doing/preparing. I'll leave it to enjoy at 9pm.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)