• Last Updated:
  • Feb 20th, 2019 1:55 pm
Deal Fanatic
May 18, 2009
5045 posts
980 upvotes
Richmond Hill
we r gonna lose bad tonite...by 40 pts tonite?
Deal Addict
Oct 20, 2007
4042 posts
277 upvotes
Mississauga
Fabfive wrote:
Jan 24th, 2017 8:18 am
Of course JV is gonna shoot a higher percentage. It's not rocket science. Dude talkes all of his shots 3 feet from the rim. If Lowry and DD shot all their shots from 3 ft from the rim obviously their shooting percentage is going to be high. DUH. Javale Mcgee is shooting 66% from the field. Do you see the Warriors abandoning what they do just because this dude shoots a higher field goal percentage than Curry, KD and Klay?
Right here I have to question if you even watch most Raptor games because if you did you would know that JV has a pretty good midrange jumper. Of course being a big man he scores mostly in or around the paint BECAUSE THAT'S HIS JOB and the Raps should feed him where he's scoring at a good percentage. Why would you not do that and instead give it to Demar who has no 3pt shot, has an inconsistent jumper and does much of his scoring in the paint as well THE SAME AS JV except he often does it going through double teams and whatnot trying to draw fouls.

So I don't know what kind of logic you have where you give it to a guy like Demar who's scoring in the same areas as JV and then complain that JV is only good at scoring in the paint?!? The fact is Demar's midrange game is hit or miss. When he's on fire he's hitting everything, but more likely he's usually NOT on fire and he bricks shot after shot and yet you STILL wouldn't let JV take more shots and get easy fouls and buckets in the paint?? That's the same stupid Casey thinking that's messing up this team and making our offense predictable and stagnant.
Bigs dont need a 3 point shot?? Have you seen what its done to Marc Gasol's, Lamarcus Aldridge, Chris Bosh games? It opens things up and makes them an even bigger threat because of that range. Defences can just pack the paint on your savior because he has no range. He's a one dimensional offensive player.
Except Aldridge RARELY takes 3pt shots and Gasol only started taking a few three's this year and Bosh only took a couple a game AT MOST. In other words all the guys you mentioned still do most of their scoring IN OR AROUND THE PAINT THE SAME AS JV. So I guess all those guys you mentioned must be one dimensional and crappy too i guess. :rolleyes: And you know what else is interesting? JV out rebound both Gasol and Aldridge playing fewer minutes.
Face it, he will never be the face of this treadmill franchise. Dude's game has no appeal to the casual fans, if I was a season ticket holder and this dude is the franchise I'll be first in line for refunds. Watching this dude play is like watching paint dry. BORING.

He really should stick to making his itty bitty figures instead.

Disclaimer - I'm not a Lowry or DD Fan. I just watch a lot of Raptors games since that's what we get on tv around here
I'm glad you recognize that the current edition of the Raptors is a treadmill team and I DON'T CARE who the 'face of the franchise' is. I just care that this team can play consistent, winning basketball which they aren't doing right now. So WHO CARES if Demar is the face of the franchise when he can't even lead this team out of mediocrity? DD can throw down some nice dunks and make some flashy plays and yet for all his athleticism he can't play ONE DAMN LICK of defense. That is the problem we have here and that's why we aren't winning.

Look at some of these stats:

For Demar http://stats.nba.com/player/#!/201942/d ... r%20Season

For Lowry http://stats.nba.com/player/#!/200768/defense-dash/

For JV http://stats.nba.com/player/#!/202685/d ... r%20Season

That clearly shows that people who are guarded by Demar and Lowry shoot up to 12% higher than average from the field while players guarded by JV shoot a few percentage worse than normal. So all you people who keep harping on JV's defense, he may not be elite but at least he's not killing the team defensively the way Demar, Lowry and the rest of the team is.

The bottom line is I don't need JV to be 'the man' for the Raptors. I just wish Casey and the Raps would use him and allow him to contribute more. On the otherhand I wish we could just get rid of Demar because the best he can accomplish is to keep this team in treadmill territory without doing much else. If it wasn't for Lowry and other players on this team, the Raps would be a mediocre team right now.
Toronto sports teams..............forever cursed. Profound sadness. :(
Deal Addict
Jul 29, 2008
1398 posts
186 upvotes
Toronto
MaximDude wrote:
Jan 24th, 2017 10:52 am
Right here I have to question if you even watch most Raptor games because if you did you would know that JV has a pretty good midrange jumper. Of course being a big man he scores mostly in or around the paint BECAUSE THAT'S HIS JOB and the Raps should feed him where he's scoring at a good percentage. Why would you not do that and instead give it to Demar who has no 3pt shot, has an inconsistent jumper and does much of his scoring in the paint as well THE SAME AS JV except he often does it going through double teams and whatnot trying to draw fouls.

So I don't know what kind of logic you have where you give it to a guy like Demar who's scoring in the same areas as JV and then complain that JV is only good at scoring in the paint?!? The fact is Demar's midrange game is hit or miss. When he's on fire he's hitting everything, but more likely he's usually NOT on fire and he bricks shot after shot and yet you STILL wouldn't let JV take more shots and get easy fouls and buckets in the paint?? That's the same stupid Casey thinking that's messing up this team and making our offense predictable and stagnant.
So by your logic they should post up JV more? Watch him pump fake 8 times and run out the clock before he decides what to do with the ball? Like giving him touches isnt going to make the already stagnant offense any worse. It's going to be exactly the same lol. He couldnt pass out of a double team to save his life! Teams don't really double team him either because they arent scared of him on being a presence inside the paint. Because HE SUCKS LOL

It doesnt matter how many 3pt shots or midrange shots they take a game, the POINT is that it makes them a THREAT outside and inside. And those players are far from one dimensional like JV. Notice one thing those 3 have in common? They are ALL STARS for a reason. So how many ASG has JV made?

It's funny you bring up Demar not being able to play D and disappearing come playoffs or when it matters when JV does the same thing LOL

I'd love to see them feature JV and see how far he takes this franchise. That should be a barrel of laughs.

Face it, like it or not this franchise is going only as far as their two fake all stars will take them.
Deal Addict
Aug 5, 2006
3388 posts
1091 upvotes
Global Village
yesstyle wrote:
Jan 24th, 2017 10:36 am
we r gonna lose bad tonite...by 40 pts tonite?
Based on their game I saw against the Cavs the Spurs are playing like a well-oiled machine right now (Kawhi looks like he's on a mission) even without Gasol, Parker while we are obviously not. With Demar out even in a loss it will be a chance to feature Powell and especially JV more offensively for points, defensively he can't guard Alrdridge or Lee if they are making shots from the perimeter so keeping him on the floor may continue to be tough to justify. It will be interesting to see if JV allows more or less points from the guys he guards than the points he scores himself while on the floor. The Raps need to make a decision about JV this year imo, either he's part of what they want to be or they should trade him and move on.
All day I dream about sports
Nov 3, 2014
682 posts
103 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Was only a matter of time until this was posted. Main issue with our defense for a long while

http://www.raptorsrepublic.com/2017/01/ ... -struggle/

I even noticed the Raptors trying to ICE pick and rolls with JV late in the 4th but it didn't make much of a difference.
This is not intended to be some kind of illuminating article that has unlocked some secret about the Toronto Raptors’ defence. This stretch has been wretched by Valanciunas and it is because of the frequency of the offences, not the severity. He is not playing more minutes than his average despite the injuries, but he is getting exposed more often defensively. Teams are trying to run him off the floor for his defence or lack thereof, and its working.
This is year 5 for JV and he is what he is at this point. A big that turned into Al Jefferson
Deal Addict
Oct 20, 2007
4042 posts
277 upvotes
Mississauga
Fabfive wrote:
Jan 24th, 2017 11:47 am

So by your logic they should post up JV more? Watch him pump fake 8 times and run out the clock before he decides what to do with the ball? Like giving him touches isnt going to make the already stagnant offense any worse. It's going to be exactly the same lol. He couldnt pass out of a double team to save his life! Teams don't really double team him either because they arent scared of him on being a presence inside the paint. Because HE SUCKS LOL
I'm convinced that you don't actually watch the games now and see what's actually going on. Most times JV RARELY gets plays run for him in the post. Maybe in the first half he might get a few, but mostly he's just a dump off guy for other players. Namely other players move the ball around and then pass it to JV in the paint for easy buckets. That and scoring off rebounds is where he gets most of his scoring done because the Raps don't like running plays for him. So please watch some games and stop making crap up.
It doesnt matter how many 3pt shots or midrange shots they take a game, the POINT is that it makes them a THREAT outside and inside. And those players are far from one dimensional like JV. Notice one thing those 3 have in common? They are ALL STARS for a reason. So how many ASG has JV made?

Except we ALREADY HAVE PLENTY of outside 3pt threats. The only problem is none of them can consistently hit even open 3pt shots on a regular basis. JV is much more effective sticking to scoring in and around the paint than trying to be another 3pt shooting big. Just let him stick with what he does best offensively and the Raps should just play to his strengths rather than waste time trying to get him to develop a 3pt shot.
It's funny you bring up Demar not being able to play D and disappearing come playoffs or when it matters when JV does the same thing LOL

I'd love to see them feature JV and see how far he takes this franchise. That should be a barrel of laughs.

Face it, like it or not this franchise is going only as far as their two fake all stars will take them.
Except these stats here:

For JV http://stats.nba.com/player/#!/202685/d ... e=Playoffs

For Demar http://stats.nba.com/player/#!/201942/d ... r%20Season

Those numbers show that on average the people facing JV shot up to 15% WORSE THAN NORMAL going up against him while players facing Demar shot up to 10% BETTER THAN NORMAL going up against him and you're telling me that JV was the problem in last year's playoffs and not Demar? What kind of amazing drugs are you smoking?? :rolleyes:
danny3526 wrote:
Jan 24th, 2017 5:45 pm
Was only a matter of time until this was posted. Main issue with our defense for a long while

http://www.raptorsrepublic.com/2017/01/ ... -struggle/

I even noticed the Raptors trying to ICE pick and rolls with JV late in the 4th but it didn't make much of a difference.
Do you even look at the plays in that article closely to see what happened before throwing your hate on JV? Nearly every single play listed there shows Lowry getting walked by like it was nothing leaving JV's to deal with the mess, yet somehow its all his fault? ARE YOU EFFING SERIOUS?!!?!?! No doubt JV could do better, but I'm blown away how you can look at those plays and see Lowry doing next to nothing guarding his man and then put all the blame on JV. Cmon now use your eyes and a little common sense before putting it all on JV.

This guys in the comments section explain it perfectly:

'I'm gonna reiterate what I said on Twitter - I'm not a big fan of this column. My opinion on Toronto's P&R defense is pretty simple. The guards, specifically Lowry and Cory Joseph, deserve just as much blame, if not more so, than JV. As we've seen through the years, JV's been fine in limited, conservative defensive assignments. But literally every example here shows whoever the point guard is capitulating entirely on the screen, letting his man get a free run at the basket, and forcing JV to guard 2 players at the rim, something even good defenders have trouble with. It's hip to blame every Raptors defensive struggle on JV but he's the same defensive player he's always been. The difference this season is a defensive scheme that's completely antithetical to his strengths, and lazy, uninspired perimeter defense from Lowry and Joseph specifically. Patterson isn't the only avenue this team has to improve on defense. The purported defensive stoppers we have on the roster can start to play up to the level we're accustomed to.'

'i fully acknowledge that JV is not a stout defender in pick and roll defensive situations. But I also think perception of this is magnified to unreasonable levels because of our guards. In each example shown here Kyle gives little-to-no resistance out front and now JV is faced with a guard coming full speed straight into the paint trying to contain him while also guarding against the dump off pass or alley oop to the big. Any big is going to give up something in these situations if opposing guard is literally sprinting into the paint uncontested. Also in examples, when JV rotates to the penetrating guard (albeit with incorrect angling), nobody is rotating down to the big. My point being, i find it very short-sighted to heap all this on simply JV. Who is to blame in 4th quarter against Phoenix when we were similarly getting torched?'
Deal Fanatic
Apr 11, 2006
5828 posts
1337 upvotes
Mississauga
geokilla wrote:
Jan 24th, 2017 9:40 pm
That was an awfully close game..
I don't know what in the world JV was doing near the end on the one trip down when Lowry found him wide open at the top of the key. He takes a couple of dribbles in and then turns and passes out to Ross for a 3-point miss.
Deal Addict
Oct 20, 2007
4042 posts
277 upvotes
Mississauga
kenchau wrote:
Jan 24th, 2017 10:48 pm
I don't know what in the world JV was doing near the end on the one trip down when Lowry found him wide open at the top of the key. He takes a couple of dribbles in and then turns and passes out to Ross for a 3-point miss.
God forbid JV should pass to a WIDE OPEN Ross for a 3 pt attempt and instead do the Demar thing and jack up a shot come hell or high water. What was he thinking!!! :rolleyes:

And also lets just accept that the Raps are an extremely inconsistent jumpshooting team that doesn't know how to do anything else. Simply impossible for Casey to adjust and do anything else other than let our perimeter guys jack up prayers and hope they're answered.

Babcock>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Casey
Deal Guru
Mar 1, 2008
12387 posts
2007 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
MaximDude wrote:
Jan 24th, 2017 11:03 pm
God forbid JV should pass to a WIDE OPEN Ross for a 3 pt attempt and instead do the Demar thing and jack up a shot come hell or high water. What was he thinking!!! :rolleyes:
You realize JV was awful on offense today right? Not saying he made a bad pass or whatever but just bad from him in general. 2/7 from the field... He was given the perfect opportunity to go beast mode.

http://forums.realgm.com/boards/viewtop ... &t=1515685

JV can't defend the pick and roll.
Deal Addict
Oct 20, 2007
4042 posts
277 upvotes
Mississauga
geokilla wrote:
Jan 24th, 2017 11:04 pm
You realize JV was awful on offense today right? Not saying he made a bad pass or whatever but just bad from him in general. 2/7 from the field... He was given the perfect opportunity to go beast mode.
How was he 'awful' when he went 2-7 and like half those attempts were from rebounds and not from plays run for him? The guy barely touches the ball offensively more than once or twice a quarter unless he's grabbing an offensive rebound and then making a FGA on his own. Hard for any player to get into the flow of your team's offense when you almost never touch the ball. But hey still his fault I guess. >_>

And lets just forget that Lowry did his best Demar impression and went 9-23, 2 AST, 5 turnovers. Carroll and Sullinger both going scoreless from the field and most of the time the team played horrible defense. But again its all JVs fault. :rolleyes:
Deal Fanatic
Apr 11, 2006
5828 posts
1337 upvotes
Mississauga
MaximDude wrote:
Jan 24th, 2017 11:03 pm

And also lets just accept that the Raps are an extremely inconsistent jumpshooting team that doesn't know how to do anything else. Simply impossible for Casey to adjust and do anything else other than let our perimeter guys jack up prayers and hope they're answered.

Babcock>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Casey
JV was WIDDDDE OPEN. 15 footer. We didn't need a 3-pointer. We were down 2 points with 12-13 seconds on the clock when he caught the pass from Lowry at the top of the key.
Deal Fanatic
Apr 11, 2006
5828 posts
1337 upvotes
Mississauga
MaximDude wrote:
Jan 24th, 2017 11:18 pm
How was he 'awful' when he went 2-7 and like half those attempts were from rebounds and not from plays run for him? The guy barely touches the ball offensively more than once or twice a quarter unless he's grabbing an offensive rebound and then making a FGA on his own. Hard for any player to get into the flow of your team's offense when you almost never touch the ball. But hey still his fault I guess. >_>

And lets just forget that Lowry did his best Demar impression and went 9-23, 2 AST, 5 turnovers. Carroll and Sullinger both going scoreless from the field and most of the time the team played horrible defense. But again its all JVs fault. :rolleyes:
Teammates have to score to register an assist. Often times I see JV miss the beauty setups. Like in today's game, he gets a beautiful feed and travels. Or on another occasion gets one where he just has to go up and dunk it, he gets touch fouled and misses the dunk because he clearly didn't go up hard, wtf. Can't miss those easy ones.
Deal Addict
Oct 20, 2007
4042 posts
277 upvotes
Mississauga
kenchau wrote:
Jan 24th, 2017 11:23 pm
Teammates have to score to register an assist. Often times I see JV miss the beauty setups. Like in today's game, he gets a beautiful feed and travels. Or on another occasion gets one where he just has to go up and dunk it, he gets touch fouled and misses the dunk because he clearly didn't go up hard, wtf. Can't miss those easy ones.
Complain about JV all you like, but again its hard for most players to get a rhythm going when your team only lets you touch the ball on offense maybe once or twice a quarter and the rest of the time you have to make your own chances. Tell me what's Lowry's excuse for going 9-23 and having more turnovers than assists? This was the perfect game for him to be the floor general instead of the shooter but he chose to play hero ball and try and get his instead of simply just distributing the ball to everyone like they do on the Spurs team and he along with poor team defense cost us the game.

And remember how anytime Demar is ice cold and shooting like crap, Casey ALWAYS tells people that 'we have to get him going' and they keep feeding him regardless? How come this doesn't apply to JV where if he doesn't score on the 8 attempts he might get the entire game, he sucks and its all his fault that he lost?? How is that even fair?!?

I just find it LAUGHABLE that the guy who plays barely 30 mins gets all the blame while the rest of the team who played the other 210 mins of the game don't take any blame for this loss?!??!! What a joke. >_>
Jun 28, 2015
221 posts
66 upvotes
Toronto, ON
This thread is like a car accident. It's so awful but you can't look away.