Sports & Recreation

RFD Raptors Lounge

Deal Guru
Dec 20, 2018
10132 posts
10243 upvotes
Dreamrider wrote: Isn't he averaging 25+ pt per game?
I haven't watched any games, just going by stat sheet
No he isn't, and even if he was, that's not enough for all star game, and we're 5 games into a season.

The east isn't this bad that undersized 2 guard like fvv can make all star. This isn't the east where Jamal maglore all star selection lol
Deal Addict
Mar 23, 2011
2207 posts
1398 upvotes
Etobicoke
scoper wrote: If the team doesn't make the playoffs this season does Nurse get fired?
Why would you fire Nurse? He was given the team that is worse than last year. Besides, who would fire him? As of right now the Raptors could be looking for a new gm and president in the off season.
My biggest concern is that the two guys that will be in charge at the trade deadline have no contract after this year. I don't want them to be handling the assets if they are going to walk after the season.
Deal Expert
Mar 1, 2008
19155 posts
9081 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
sherman51 wrote: Why would you fire Nurse? He was given the team that is worse than last year. Besides, who would fire him? As of right now the Raptors could be looking for a new gm and president in the off season.
My biggest concern is that the two guys that will be in charge at the trade deadline have no contract after this year. I don't want them to be handling the assets if they are going to walk after the season.
He called out Malachi Flynn after the young players last night when they barely got any play time to begin with. I've always said Nurse is a bad coach and it's starting to show. All he does is yap at the sidelines. Surprised Pop got tossed before he did.
RFD is love. RFD is life.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 25, 2010
6256 posts
3216 upvotes
Abbottabad
Tampa fans cheering for the away teams rather than the Rapts.

Man these Americans truly are scumbags.
Deal Addict
Aug 16, 2017
2081 posts
1062 upvotes
Toronto
OG Anunoby really signed a contract and disappears. 20m a year for a guy who is all defense and 0 offense.
only FVV is earning his contract right now. Siakam is rightfully blamed for his regression but some focus needs to be put into OG too.
Deal Guru
Feb 11, 2007
11822 posts
5908 upvotes
OG was only averaging 10 ppg as a starter playing 35 minutes a game last year. That is pretty mediocre offense.

Now the Raptors offense has below mediocre 3-point shooters forcing up six to eight 3-point attempts per game (Siakam, OG, Boucher)
as if they were Paul George.
DimsumDeals wrote: OG Anunoby really signed a contract and disappears. 20m a year for a guy who is all defense and 0 offense.
only FVV is earning his contract right now. Siakam is rightfully blamed for his regression but some focus needs to be put into OG too.
Deal Addict
Jul 19, 2005
3560 posts
151 upvotes
Toronto
Raps have pieces to surround a star...but not the star itself.

This year might be a year to tank, get a high end talent in the draft.
they have two guys drafted in the lottery - Stanley Johnson and Alex Len

it's a shame if this is the last year for Kyle as a raptor. he's getting up there in age and doubtful that he would want to go through a mini rebuild.

does this year even matter that much since they're in tampa bay?
Deal Guru
Apr 11, 2006
12388 posts
6570 upvotes
Vaughan
sg2386 wrote: I wouldn't be surprised but I doubt it. GSW were in the finals and the following season had the worst record in the league, dead last and Kerr wasn't fired. Then again the top players were gone and Curry got injured very early in the season and GSW was basically a lottery team. He worked with what he had...same with Nurse

I think its the front office that should take all the heat...they didn't make any good off season deals at all because they were taking the chance to land Giannis, even letting Gasol and Ibaka walk and that failed. Getting Baynes should be a fireable offence...what an awful acquisition and should have pursued a player like Steven Adams, who I think would have been a good fit.

Now Raptors are stuck with this team and no telling how much further down they will go by mid-season before the trade deadline. The value of their key pieces like Siakam and Norm will probably be so low that no team will want them and their only asset they could dump is Lowry which would really suck. No disrespect to FVV but Lowry is the heart and soul of the team and if he is not there, the Raptors are screwed because I don't think FVV will be able to be that replacement, yet. Look how the Raptors play without Lowry on the floor, they just seem lost with no coordination.
I think the blame goes all around. The signings and such are Masai's responsibility. The team's play is Nurse's responsibility.

That aside, I also like Steven Adams and thought he'd be a good fit, but he wasn't a free agent, he was acquired via trade by Pelicans.
Deal Guru
Apr 11, 2006
12388 posts
6570 upvotes
Vaughan
sherman51 wrote: Why would you fire Nurse? He was given the team that is worse than last year. Besides, who would fire him? As of right now the Raptors could be looking for a new gm and president in the off season.
The team last season had the second best overall record in the entire league. We didn't lose star players, we literally only lost Ibaka and Gasol - critical, but not our star players. Sure it's a worse team than last year, but losing those 2 players, you don't go from second best overall record to second worst overall (for now, still early). If the coach is not to blame, then no one else can be blamed lol.
Deal Expert
Mar 1, 2008
19155 posts
9081 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
kenchau wrote: The team last season had the second best overall record in the entire league. We didn't lose star players, we literally only lost Ibaka and Gasol - critical, but not our star players. Sure it's a worse team than last year, but losing those 2 players, you don't go from second best overall record to second worst overall (for now, still early). If the coach is not to blame, then no one else can be blamed lol.
I think the blame is on both management and the coach. Saw this last night and we have 10 guards on our roster:

1. Kyle Lowry 6'1 (pg)
  2. FVV 6'0 (pg)
  3. Norman Powell 6'4 (sg)
  4. Terence Davis 6'4 (sg)
  5. Matt Thomas 6'4 (sg)
  6. Pat McCaw 6'7 (guard/sf)
  7. DeAndre Bembry 6'5 (guard/sf)
  8. Malachi Flynn 6'1 (pg)
  9. Jalen Harris 6'5 (sg)
  10. Paul Watson 6'6 (guard/sf)

They're all so small and can't rebound well aside from Lowry. How do you expect to win if you can't box out and rebound. Raptors Defensive Issues Stem From An Inability To End Possessions
RFD is love. RFD is life.
Nov 25, 2008
829 posts
66 upvotes
YORK
I think Boucher deserves to be a starting center , and Matt Thomas , i was glad he played longer minutes in the first couple of games, but i heard Nurse didnt like his defense.

I understand Nurse is mainly focused on defense, but when the team was down lots of points, and then the team struggled offensively, we should put Matt on for some minutes. (ie. when key players can't make a shot, we need guys like Matt ,esp 3 pt is popular weapon )

By the way, why we can't sign guys like Tristan Thompson?
Alex Lens/ Baynes are light years behind Ibaka/Gasol.
TC
Deal Addict
Aug 16, 2017
2081 posts
1062 upvotes
Toronto
geokilla wrote: I think the blame is on both management and the coach. Saw this last night and we have 10 guards on our roster:

1. Kyle Lowry 6'1 (pg)
  2. FVV 6'0 (pg)
  5. Matt Thomas 6'4 (sg)
  9. Jalen Harris 6'5 (sg)

They're all so small and can't rebound well aside from Lowry. How do you expect to win if you can't box out and rebound. Raptors Defensive Issues Stem From An Inability To End Possessions
I guess their scouting team is trending towards "small ball" and took it literally.
Deal Guru
Apr 11, 2006
12388 posts
6570 upvotes
Vaughan
geokilla wrote: I think the blame is on both management and the coach. Saw this last night and we have 10 guards on our roster:

1. Kyle Lowry 6'1 (pg)
  2. FVV 6'0 (pg)
  5. Matt Thomas 6'4 (sg)
  9. Jalen Harris 6'5 (sg)

Yeah, I mentioned in my reply above the one you quoted, that the blame goes all around - particularly Masai on the signings and moves this offseason, and Nurse on the performance of the team.

I could allow for some slack because of COVID-19, but all teams are in that predicament. I would definitely allow for the having to find a home to play in as a distraction to the players because that is something that is unique to us.

But the team play, all things considered, I would say is still not up to par (even if we were to say par is simply average middle of the league or just below that). We are competing with the Knicks to be worst in the league. I think if the team is still basement dwellers after 20-25 games, then it is a fair/safe assessment to say that Nurse has to go.

Other than Lowry, we don't have an old team, so fatigue cannot be an excuse. The team doesn't look well-prepared and doesn't execute well and most importantly, does not look focused. All of that falls on Nurse and his staff. If they have overemphasized practicing 3-point shooting so much that guys are falling behind on all skills and aspects of the game, then that falls on the coaching staff. And when you watch the games, since last season, it seems that could be one part of the problem - especially with Siakam.
Deal Addict
Jul 19, 2005
3560 posts
151 upvotes
Toronto
Nurse isn't going anywhere - he just signed a new deal.

Raps fans have been a bit spoiled the past 7 years or so.
Having a team that consistently wins...and now 6 games in and the wheels are falling off and everyone's asking for change.

it is what it is. the last two years, the raptors lost Kawhi, Danny Green, Serge Ibaka and Marc Gasol through free agency and didn't replace them with anyone significant.
This team as constructed is at best a team scrambling to get a bottom seed for the playoffs. It's not a talented roster, it's a roster that needs to fight and claw every night to be competitive.

Raps were waiting for next season to sign players in the hopes of getting Giannis, this year was bound to be a bit of a flop.
Now with Giannis re-signing in Milwaukee, Raps needs a plan B (which for me would be to not necessarily tank, but to get talent through the draft)
Deal Addict
Jan 12, 2017
3686 posts
4751 upvotes
B.C.

can't disagree but hearing it from PP, just pisses me off
Deal Addict
Aug 16, 2017
2081 posts
1062 upvotes
Toronto
kenchau wrote: The team last season had the second best overall record in the entire league. We didn't lose star players, we literally only lost Ibaka and Gasol - critical, but not our star players. Sure it's a worse team than last year, but losing those 2 players, you don't go from second best overall record to second worst overall (for now, still early). If the coach is not to blame, then no one else can be blamed lol.
we can also blame it on Siakam's play regression. its been going on for 6 months now.

Lost of 2 important pieces (Ibaka, Gasol) + Siakam's play + OG missing wide open shots, a black hole on offense (this guy takes a 6 3s per game lol) + Norman Powell being Norman Powell. And of course, Nurse's gameplan.
Deal Guru
Apr 11, 2006
12388 posts
6570 upvotes
Vaughan
DimsumDeals wrote: we can also blame it on Siakam's play regression. its been going on for 6 months now.

Lost of 2 important pieces (Ibaka, Gasol) + Siakam's play + OG missing wide open shots, a black hole on offense (this guy takes a 6 3s per game lol) + Norman Powell being Norman Powell. And of course, Nurse's gameplan.
But that's my point, the players' performance is partly on the coach and staff...and like you said, the gameplan, rotations, etc. Team execution and preparation, that's the coaching staff.
Deal Addict
Aug 16, 2017
2081 posts
1062 upvotes
Toronto
kenchau wrote: But that's my point, the players' performance is partly on the coach and staff...and like you said, the gameplan, rotations, etc. Team execution and preparation, that's the coaching staff.
you can really blame the coach so much though (not saying he is not to blame too) But you can't really blame him when players underperform... WAY BELOW their expected performance. I mean, Siakam's settling for shots, constant turning the ball over, not boxing out his man. Is it really the coach still? OG bricking WIDE WIDE open shots, is this on him? Noman Powell being Norman Powell making bad basketball decisions resulting into turnovers.. is this on Nurse?
Deal Guru
Mar 20, 2009
10170 posts
8295 upvotes
Toronto
DimsumDeals wrote: you can really blame the coach so much though (not saying he is not to blame too) But you can't really blame him when players underperform... WAY BELOW their expected performance. I mean, Siakam's settling for shots, constant turning the ball over, not boxing out his man. Is it really the coach still? OG bricking WIDE WIDE open shots, is this on him? Noman Powell being Norman Powell making bad basketball decisions resulting into turnovers.. is this on Nurse?
The issues with Siakam are not coaching problems. Nurse has been giving him plenty of minutes and opportunities to turn things around. Honestly - Nurse is pretty much in a damned if you do damned if you don't position, based on what fans want VS what owners/investors want. If we are paying him superstar $$, you also need to give him superstar minutes. Sink or swim. I honestly can't decide if this is a minor blip, or a sign to ditch.
"When someone is burning a book, they are showing utter contempt for all of the thinking that produced its ideas, all of the labor that went into its words and sentences, and all of the trouble that befell the author . . .” ― Lemony Snicket
Deal Fanatic
Jan 31, 2006
8541 posts
2655 upvotes
Toronto
shikotee wrote: The issues with Siakam are not coaching problems. Nurse has been giving him plenty of minutes and opportunities to turn things around. Honestly - Nurse is pretty much in a damned if you do damned if you don't position, based on what fans want VS what owners/investors want. If we are paying him superstar $$, you also need to give him superstar minutes. Sink or swim. I honestly can't decide if this is a minor blip, or a sign to ditch.
Seems to me he have a personal problem that is affecting his game.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)