Deal Expert
Dec 26, 2003
15520 posts
622 upvotes
Stouffville
^ 3 of your 5 players these days need to be hitting 3s at a good clip..

so if DDR and JV are on, you need to have Lowry, Ibaka and Carroll... even tho some might be off..

need like 5 consistent 3pt threats to win these days.. and by threats, i mean like 38%+..

Cleveland Cavaliers 3pt percentages last year in the playoffs:

LBJ 34%
Love 41%
Irving 44%
Smith 43%
Frye 57%
Jefferson 39%
Shumpert 38%

definitely need those guys to hit those 3 pointers to win!
Dec 30, 1969
449 posts
54 upvotes
Toronto, ON
At the half

Miami has 24pts from the 3 ball. Raptors only have 3pts from the 3 ball

Lowry or not, Raptors don't have many 3pt shooting especially from our guard play
Deal Guru
Mar 1, 2008
10709 posts
1227 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
Didn't bother watching the game cus I knew we were going to get blown out. Saw some highlights on Reddit and discussion about the game and lol, why can't we have a competent coach? Another 2 years and 25 odd games of Casey is going to be really, really painful.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 15, 2004
5733 posts
554 upvotes
so happy for Miami, those James Johnson passes to the cutting Tyler Johnson were beautifully executed.
these are guys that nobody believed in and look at them now slowly clawing back to the playoff spot,
and this is a team without an all star (but imo Dragic should be one) and they are beating teams that they are not supposed to.
Deal Addict
Apr 11, 2006
4218 posts
681 upvotes
Mississauga
sf1 wrote:
Mar 12th, 2017 12:42 am
so happy for Miami, those James Johnson passes to the cutting Tyler Johnson were beautifully executed.
these are guys that nobody believed in and look at them now slowly clawing back to the playoff spot,
and this is a team without an all star (but imo Dragic should be one) and they are beating teams that they are not supposed to.
Well Miami is one of the hottest teams, i think they are 22-10 or something like that in 2017. Only the likes of Washington, maybe GSW and Spurs have a better record in 2017.

GSW lost 5 of their last 7 games so they may not even be up there ahead of Miami.
Deal Addict
Oct 20, 2007
3596 posts
157 upvotes
Mississauga
sf1 wrote:
Its nice to see JJ succeed somewhere else after Casey for whatever reason seemed to find every excuse to not play him even if a big part of his purpose for being here was for his defense.

And also as expected JV just a couple of games removed from his great performance is back to receiving his usual low minutes and low shot attempts. Meanwhile Demar continues to screw this team over with yet another crappy game. I don't know why people continue to think that the Raps can succeed with Demar as our main guy when he's so hugely inconsistent from game to game. In some games he can look great offensively and then he can have a string of games where all of a sudden he's complete crap and either way he will never play even average defense to stop the other team from scoring on him. Such a big waste of money for a player with such a limited skillset and who is so consistently inconsistent.
Toronto sports teams..............forever cursed. Profound sadness. :(
Deal Fanatic
Apr 8, 2013
6249 posts
160 upvotes
sf1 wrote:
Its not really hard to get a playoff spot in the east and the heat is hot. If they are doing this in the west then yes, that would be really impressive.

The thing with JJ is that he does good until he hits that limit. He did that with every team he was on. He did that with us. Casey is not the only coach that ended up benching him.
Diversity Is Our Strength 😎
Deal Fanatic
Sep 14, 2006
6818 posts
216 upvotes
MaximDude wrote:
Mar 12th, 2017 10:07 am
Its nice to see JJ succeed somewhere else after Casey for whatever reason seemed to find every excuse to not play him even if a big part of his purpose for being here was for his defense.

And also as expected JV just a couple of games removed from his great performance is back to receiving his usual low minutes and low shot attempts. Meanwhile Demar continues to screw this team over with yet another crappy game. I don't know why people continue to think that the Raps can succeed with Demar as our main guy when he's so hugely inconsistent from game to game. In some games he can look great offensively and then he can have a string of games where all of a sudden he's complete crap and either way he will never play even average defense to stop the other team from scoring on him. Such a big waste of money for a player with such a limited skillset and who is so consistently inconsistent.
You have a better move than to sign Demar for the near max last season?

I can see if JV plays consistent D and contests shots with authority, he'll get his minutes. He needs to be ready 100% of the time as we all know Casey does not favor him over anyone else. He's not Kyle or Demar and that's to be expected.
TEAM CANADA!!!!!!!!!!!
Deal Fanatic
May 11, 2008
9136 posts
264 upvotes
kenchau wrote:
Mar 10th, 2017 10:34 pm
Maybe you don't understand how a forum works. If you talk about DeMar, and I wanted to respond to something you've said about DeMar, I am free to reply to your post and talk about DeMar. If I don't have anything to say about DeMar, then I don't reply to your post.

But you, you reply to a post about JV, and talk about DeMar with no mention of JV whatsoever. Like why would you even reply to a post about JV - just post a new thing about DeMar. That would be like me replying to your post about DeMar and talking about Carroll with no mention of DeMar whatsoever. It wouldn't make sense. Get a clue.

There doesn't have to only be one conversation happening in the thread. Few people are talking about JV, a couple of others are talking about DeMar, a couple of others might be talking about upcoming matches - all different conversations happening in the same thread. You want to talk about DeMar, talk about DeMar, but don't bring him into a different conversation that is going on specifically about JV.

sample rems reply: DeMar sucks
kenchau troll reply: Carroll has a 40% FG percentage

sample rems reply: DeMar shot 44%
kenchau troll reply: Delon scored 0 points in 10 minutes

etc...etc... :facepalm:
you seem to fail to see how conversations work. It's NOT only about those players. WHen I replied to the comment, the post was about CONSISTENCY. I linked that to the Demar's consistently bad defense. See how that's continuing the conversation? Of course not because Demar's poor defense is just off-topic and not worth discussing to you. So yea call me the troll but you are the one that doesn't seem to know how forums and conversations work. To you anyone that mentions anything bad about Demar is trolling. You think a conversation is just continuing the same train of thought (ie demar is god and JV is the worst).

And see, you still couldnt say anything bad about Demar.

And you call Maxim a troll too because he posts the same things. But I have yet to see a rebuttal to his points.
When people say JV is inconsistent (which I agree with) and that's why he's not getting minutes. But he pointed out that JV can't become consistent if he's not given the chance (which I also agree with). As I wrote earlier, how do you overcome your shortfalls if you're not given a chance to do so? And this is where the arguments repeat. People point to JV's inconsistency without acknowledging he's not given the chance. Cuz then people argue he makes mistakes and that's why he doesn't get the minutes. And the cycle continues...

Also it's hypocritical to say that JV shouldn't get minutes because of that inconsistency because other players on the team (like Demar) get those minutes even when they're inconsistent. So you need to find another argument or DD will be brought up because those arguments also apply to him. Bringing up DD isn't just randomly naming him. It's asking why JV doesn't get the same pass he does.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 14, 2006
6818 posts
216 upvotes
Can't believe you guys are arguing over how to quote and post on rfd. 🤣Face With Tears Of Joy🤣Face With Tears Of Joy🤣Face With Tears Of Joy
TEAM CANADA!!!!!!!!!!!
Deal Addict
Apr 11, 2006
4218 posts
681 upvotes
Mississauga
rems wrote:
Mar 13th, 2017 9:26 am
you seem to fail to see how conversations work. It's NOT only about those players. WHen I replied to the comment, the post was about CONSISTENCY. I linked that to the Demar's consistently bad defense. See how that's continuing the conversation? Of course not because Demar's poor defense is just off-topic and not worth discussing to you. So yea call me the troll but you are the one that doesn't seem to know how forums and conversations work. To you anyone that mentions anything bad about Demar is trolling. You think a conversation is just continuing the same train of thought (ie demar is god and JV is the worst).

And see, you still couldnt say anything bad about Demar.

And you call Maxim a troll too because he posts the same things. But I have yet to see a rebuttal to his points.
When people say JV is inconsistent (which I agree with) and that's why he's not getting minutes. But he pointed out that JV can't become consistent if he's not given the chance (which I also agree with). As I wrote earlier, how do you overcome your shortfalls if you're not given a chance to do so? And this is where the arguments repeat. People point to JV's inconsistency without acknowledging he's not given the chance. Cuz then people argue he makes mistakes and that's why he doesn't get the minutes. And the cycle continues...

Also it's hypocritical to say that JV shouldn't get minutes because of that inconsistency because other players on the team (like Demar) get those minutes even when they're inconsistent. So you need to find another argument or DD will be brought up because those arguments also apply to him. Bringing up DD isn't just randomly naming him. It's asking why JV doesn't get the same pass he does.
DeMarre Carroll is horribly inconsistent.

(see what I did there...exactly what you do). :facepalm:
Deal Addict
Jul 23, 2013
2798 posts
943 upvotes
Tuktoyaktuk
Carroll is inconsistent.
Tross was inconsistent.
Joseph is inconsistent.
JJ was inconsistent.
2Pat is inconsistent.
Bebe is inconsistent.
Poeltl is inconsistent.
Norman is inconsistent.
Even Lowry is inconsistent. Sometimes he can't shoot for beans. (See playoffs last year).

There aren't many people in sports (any sports) who are great all the time. The ones that are consistently great are called superstars, and we don't have any of those around here.

It's all about tradeoffs. The coach is willing to put up with DeMar's slack defense because he will score you a pile of points most every night. The coach is not willing to make the same tradeoff with JV because he doesn't think it's a good tradeoff.

Maybe it comes down to this..... either Casey goes or JV goes. I am betting Casey will be around next year. JV sticking around is a much riskier bet.
Deal Addict
Apr 11, 2006
4218 posts
681 upvotes
Mississauga
3-point shooting tonight: 9 of 25
Last 2 games: 6 of 40

It's so important that they hit at least about a third of their 3-point attempts. It's been a long while since we've seen tonight's Patrick Patterson (effective on both ends of the floor) - going to need him to play like this come playoff time.
Deal Fanatic
Apr 8, 2013
6249 posts
160 upvotes
Its pretty clear that the reason why we were losing was lack of defense, JV not securing the paint and draining open 3's.

Carroll is such a weak link offensively. Glad to see Powell starting. He truly deserves it.
Diversity Is Our Strength 😎
× < >
Rotate image Save Cancel