Sports & Recreation

RFD Raptors Lounge

Deal Addict
Jul 19, 2005
3560 posts
151 upvotes
Toronto
scoper wrote: That's Norm territory $. I am trying to remember if Norm ever had a game-winning shot in with us and I can't think of any.
maybe a couple end of the quarter buzzer beaters, but def not game winners
He's always playing behind Kyle/Demar/Kawhi/Fred as a primary scorer, so never really got the opportunity.

GTJ was lucky that:
1. he got the rebound
2. Kyle and Fred was not in the game
3. Nick didn't call a time out to set up a play
Deal Guru
May 9, 2006
12805 posts
3477 upvotes
scoper wrote: Finishing 10th might actually be the ideal spot this season, low enough to have a good chance of drafting high and still in playoff contention because we could win both play-in tournament games with Kyle.
I don't know what the implications of the play in tournament has on draft order, but if I were to take a guess... Since the lottery was meant for teams that don't make the playoffs, then if a 10th seed wins their way in, they would not qualify for the draft lottery.

As for odds... it's a bit weird because the draft order is determined by teams' records, but playoffs are determined by teams' records within their own conference. So assuming the season ended right now, when you look at the 10th seeds, it's an interesting story. GSW is the 10th seed in the West and 18th overall in record. That would mean they get the 13th pick with 4.7% odds of improving to a top 4 pick. Meanwhile the Bulls are the 10th seed in the East and 22nd overall. They get the 9th pick with 20.2% odds of improving to a top 4 pick. So for a team like the GSW, they might as well try hard to make the tournament, but the temptation is there for the Bulls to tank and get a 1/5 odds to land a talented draft class where there are a solid 5-6 prospects.

Raptors currently have the the 8th pick with 29% odds of improving. That 3 pointer that Trent hit dropped the Raptors odds down from 32%. There's still like 20+ games to go. Raptors are so volatile this year, they could still make a big playoff push or finish 3rd last. Who knows with this team.
Deal Guru
Apr 11, 2006
12392 posts
6573 upvotes
Vaughan
joeyjoejoe wrote: I don't know what the implications of the play in tournament has on draft order, but if I were to take a guess... Since the lottery was meant for teams that don't make the playoffs, then if a 10th seed wins their way in, they would not qualify for the draft lottery.

As for odds... it's a bit weird because the draft order is determined by teams' records, but playoffs are determined by teams' records within their own conference. So assuming the season ended right now, when you look at the 10th seeds, it's an interesting story. GSW is the 10th seed in the West and 18th overall in record. That would mean they get the 13th pick with 4.7% odds of improving to a top 4 pick. Meanwhile the Bulls are the 10th seed in the East and 22nd overall. They get the 9th pick with 20.2% odds of improving to a top 4 pick. So for a team like the GSW, they might as well try hard to make the tournament, but the temptation is there for the Bulls to tank and get a 1/5 odds to land a talented draft class where there are a solid 5-6 prospects.

Raptors currently have the the 8th pick with 29% odds of improving. That 3 pointer that Trent hit dropped the Raptors odds down from 32%. There's still like 20+ games to go. Raptors are so volatile this year, they could still make a big playoff push or finish 3rd last. Who knows with this team.
a 15-game win streak like last year will catapult them. I think last year, it was around the 40th game mark that it started. We're at 50 games now, so it's close enough to when the Raptors start to peak. 2 wins down, 13 more to go. Face With Tears Of Joy

Siakam is starting to show more signs of life on the offensive end and the soft touch around the basket. Maybe this can be his rebound stretch as well.
Deal Guru
Mar 20, 2009
10168 posts
8298 upvotes
Toronto
The Spaniard is hungry....
"When someone is burning a book, they are showing utter contempt for all of the thinking that produced its ideas, all of the labor that went into its words and sentences, and all of the trouble that befell the author . . .” ― Lemony Snicket
Deal Addict
Nov 3, 2014
2206 posts
536 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Gasol looked 10 years younger facing a team without a big
Deal Guru
Apr 11, 2006
12392 posts
6573 upvotes
Vaughan
danny3526 wrote: Gasol looked 10 years younger facing a team without a big
Gasol is just good. There were just a lot of RFD Raptor fans that didn't appreciate his value on the floor, despite not being able to score much.
Deal Guru
Mar 20, 2009
10168 posts
8298 upvotes
Toronto
kenchau wrote: Gasol is just good. There were just a lot of RFD Raptor fans that didn't appreciate his value on the floor, despite not being able to score much.
Technically though, he recently lost his position as a starter for the Lakers, so I would imagine he is more determined to prove himself, especially when playing the team he just left. For those who foolishly believed Gasol was an albatross for the Raptors, Baynes is exactly what they deserve as punishment.
"When someone is burning a book, they are showing utter contempt for all of the thinking that produced its ideas, all of the labor that went into its words and sentences, and all of the trouble that befell the author . . .” ― Lemony Snicket
Deal Addict
Jul 19, 2005
3560 posts
151 upvotes
Toronto
Either OG is real strong or Schroeder was selling it a lot lol
Deal Addict
Jul 16, 2019
1648 posts
865 upvotes
I thought OG was the quiet and controlled one. LOL. Wait to pull a WWF move. Good core strength :-)
Deal Guru
Apr 11, 2006
12392 posts
6573 upvotes
Vaughan
SoGood wrote: Either OG is real strong or Schroeder was selling it a lot lol
Both of Schroeder's legs came up, that's not a natural "selling" type motion like a flop or something. OG definitely pulled his legs from under him.

From OG's standpoint, he was fouled really hard, so I don't blame him. Mind you, it wasn't a flagrant or anything, just a hard foul. However, many players would react to that foul.
Deal Addict
Jan 12, 2017
3686 posts
4751 upvotes
B.C.
we all know OG is not that kind a guy.
looks like OG is trying to explain to Schroeder, it wasn't intended
Deal Guru
Apr 11, 2006
12392 posts
6573 upvotes
Vaughan
geokilla wrote:
That would be a solid pick-up for the Raptors. More of a classic centre - don't count on him to hit 3-pointers.
Deal Guru
Aug 5, 2006
10747 posts
7908 upvotes
Global Village
geokilla wrote:
At least Canadians still want to come to the Raptors.
He should help with rebounding and some buckets inside.

Last edited by scoper on Apr 8th, 2021 11:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
All day I dream about sports

Tangerine, Meridian, EQ Bank, Simplii, CIBC Investor's Edge
Deal Fanatic
Jan 17, 2002
7777 posts
948 upvotes
Toronto
kenchau wrote: That would be a solid pick-up for the Raptors. More of a classic centre - don't count on him to hit 3-pointers.
Good audition for him to be our third string vet min centre next year.
Deal Guru
Apr 11, 2006
12392 posts
6573 upvotes
Vaughan
frogger wrote: Good audition for him to be our third string vet min centre next year.
The only thing is that he is undersized at 6'9" as a centre. But presumably (I haven't watched him enough to know), makes up for it in speed/mobility which helps to defend opposing 3-point shooting centres even though he isn't a 3-point shooting centre.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)