Deal Addict
Oct 20, 2007
3700 posts
162 upvotes
Mississauga
pintobean wrote:
Jul 6th, 2017 4:32 am
Last season, the Leafs only won 40 out of 82 games, had the 14th-best regular season record out of 30 teams, squeaked into the playoffs on the last day of the year, and then got eliminated in 6 games.

Meanwhile, even though both their star players went down with injuries for extended periods, the Raptors won 51 out of 82 games, tied for the 6th-best regular season record out of 30 teams, and then advanced to the second round of the playoffs before being eliminated by one of the greatest players in NBA history.

But in your eyes the Leafs are an exciting team to watch and the Raptors are a mediocre treadmill team? Seriously?
Yes absolutely 100% the Leafs were great to watch last year while the Raps were depressing as hell to watch. The Leafs actually have some young star and perhaps even superstar potential players that we can see grow and become a vital part of perhaps future cup contending teams. On the otherhand with the Raps we get to see them beating up on a ton of weak teams in the league and also we unfortunately get to see the Raps play ALOT of mediocre to horrible basketball where we barely beat teams that we should be dominating. That's why the Raps 51 wins in the regular season doesn't mean much when we can't even pull a Cavs or GSW and actually dominate weaker opposition and beat them convincingly and consistently. And those 51 wins mean NOTHING when we continually get bent over and raped in the playoffs by the one team that actually isn't a pushover and provides the Raps real competition and instead of rising to the occasion we wither and die.

So yes the Leafs are INFINITELY more exciting and fun to watch than the sad sack Raps led by a moronic and useless coach. This is why the hype for the Raps in the playoffs has dropped off dramatically in the past couple of seasons because people are finally waking up and seeing that the Raps are frauds. And its why fewer and fewer people even bother to show up in Maple Leafs Square/Jurassic Park anymore for the playoffs because they're tired and frustrated with seeing the same crap happen year after year.

Compare that to when the Leafs played and how jammed packed the square was and even outside of it for each and every playoff game. That's how it use to be for the Raps, but not anymore.
But the Leafs are the more exciting team? And the Raptors are on a treadmill? Come on! That's not fair!

Don't get me wrong, I love the Leafs! But I think we're lucky to have 2 exciting teams to watch. Don't put down the Raptors!
As I said, the Leafs are gathering a very good young core that they can build around and become serious contenders in a few years, what do Raps fans have to look forward to? More crappy, stupid Casey basketball that wins us 50 games because everyone else sucks so much and then more losses to the Cavs in the playoffs whether it be in the 2nd round like this past season or the conference finals the season before. Yeah can't wait for that...., :rolleyes:
pintobean wrote:
Jul 6th, 2017 1:37 pm
I agree that basketball has become predictable, even boring, now that superstar players are taking pay cuts so they can form super teams and almost guarantee themselves a trip to the finals. But until the NBA brings in a hard cap like the NHL, what can you do? The Raptors could send out the Raptors905 roster and tank away the whole season in order to win the first draft pick, but is that going to make us better than GSW or Cleveland that already have some of the best players in the NBA on their roster?
And this is preciously why NOW would be a good time to tank or at least do a significant rebuild because we have no hope of beating these super teams and the only way we can get top young talent is through the draft. It seems many if not most of the top players in the league don't want to come play in Toronto for the Raps so what do we do then other than being stuck at being good but not great? Its time to start over and get our own potential star player(s) through the draft as its pretty damn clear that Demar and Lowry aren't ever going to carry us far in the playoffs and its just dumb continue running with them rather than biting the bullet and starting over now rather than later.
Toronto sports teams..............forever cursed. Profound sadness. :(
Deal Addict
Nov 25, 2010
4061 posts
611 upvotes
geokilla wrote:
Jul 7th, 2017 8:04 pm
I wonder what you got temp banned for.
Trolling, threadcapping, inappropriate behavior/content, etc.
Banned
Jul 1, 2017
80 posts
31 upvotes
iamskyhigh wrote:
Jul 8th, 2017 9:35 am
Trolling, threadcapping, inappropriate behavior/content, etc.
So, how can you still post ?
Deal Addict
Nov 25, 2010
4061 posts
611 upvotes
telusboy wrote:
Jul 8th, 2017 10:22 am
So, how can you still post ?
Because I've done my time and I have been rehabilitated.

Now back to the Raptors folks.
Feb 13, 2015
851 posts
120 upvotes
Oakville, ON
Reported: Demarre Caroll plus 1st and 2nd rd pick to Nets for Justin Hamilton

Hate to see the picks go but atleast Carrolls contract is off the books.
Jan 15, 2013
216 posts
7 upvotes
Oakville
th12mq wrote:
Jul 9th, 2017 12:51 am

Sucks to lose 2 picks ... it possible that getting another center lead to getting rid of jv which give further cap space relief that we can enough money for a high quality free agent in the future
Feb 13, 2015
851 posts
120 upvotes
Oakville, ON
toshibaaa wrote:
Jul 9th, 2017 12:58 am
Sucks to lose 2 picks ... it possible that getting another center lead to getting rid of jv which give further cap space relief that we can enough money for a high quality free agent in the future
Im wondering if we could flip JV for a first rounder lol
Deal Addict
Aug 5, 2006
1961 posts
485 upvotes
Global Village
th12mq wrote:
Jul 9th, 2017 12:51 am

Wow, I guess we have the Wiz to thank for matching the Nets Porter offer. Giving up the 1st round pick stings but with the East so weakened it would most likely have ended up in the late 20's and it allows us to go after some much-needed 3-point shooting now, maybe Ilyasova or Mirotic?
Deal Expert
Dec 26, 2003
15591 posts
645 upvotes
Stouffville
giving up like a 23rd overall pick and 53rd overall pick to get rid of that 30M owed to Carroll is fine...guy in return is nothing and probably will just be released...

next move will be to move Cory Joseph and try and actually get a return for him.. he possibly could not us a late 1st rounder in return... after that, probably need to get a wing defender who can shoot the 3....

i hope JV stays personally.. i think he is a great player.... amazing offensively and has shown decent defensive strides.. but again he would be 4th option on this team and end up with 12/10 again... really wish for him to be on a team where he cna be the straight up #2 option and he would be able to average 20 and 10 no problem
Deal Addict
May 22, 2003
2179 posts
955 upvotes
Vancouver
Brutal to give up 2 picks, but we had to get rid of Caroll
Deal Addict
Oct 20, 2007
3700 posts
162 upvotes
Mississauga
toshibaaa wrote:
Jul 9th, 2017 12:58 am
Exactly when have the Raps ever signed a high quality free agent from free agency? Seems like most of the good guys we got were either drafted or traded for and then later resigned. Having more cap space doesn't mean much when the best players who become available likely won't ever sign here.

As for the Carroll trade, well what can you do? Masai didn't do his due diligence with a thorough enough medical checkup when he signed an already injury prone Carroll and now we're forced to pay a high price to get rid of him. The guy wasn't even all that great to begin with and yet we gave him a fat contract anyways. Lets just hope Masai is smarter now and doesn't do this again.
Toronto sports teams..............forever cursed. Profound sadness. :(
Deal Addict
Apr 11, 2006
4596 posts
845 upvotes
Mississauga
MaximDude wrote:
Jul 9th, 2017 8:02 am
Exactly when have the Raps ever signed a high quality free agent from free agency? Seems like most of the good guys we got were either drafted or traded for and then later resigned. Having more cap space doesn't mean much when the best players who become available likely won't ever sign here.

As for the Carroll trade, well what can you do? Masai didn't do his due diligence with a thorough enough medical checkup when he signed an already injury prone Carroll and now we're forced to pay a high price to get rid of him. The guy wasn't even all that great to begin with and yet we gave him a fat contract anyways. Lets just hope Masai is smarter now and doesn't do this again.
He was a 39% 3-pt FG shooter in his final Atlanta season that got you five boards and 12 points. And in his limited first season with the Raptors before injury, he was shooting the expected 39% from beyond the arc, however, it was his 2-pt FG percentage that was garbage, which speaks more to the wrong system and usage.

I'm sure guys like 2-Pat and him will do a whole lot better with their new teams than they did with us.
Deal Addict
Jul 23, 2013
2882 posts
985 upvotes
Tuktoyaktuk
MaximDude wrote:
Jul 9th, 2017 8:02 am
The guy wasn't even all that great to begin with and yet we gave him a fat contract anyways.
First time I've ever agreed with you. He wasn't all that great to begin with. For some reason people thought this guy was great because he played through an injury guarding LeBron in the playoffs for Atlanta. Uh, but didn't Atlanta get swept in that series? DeMarre Carroll sucks, good riddance to the bum.
Deal Guru
Mar 1, 2008
11033 posts
1374 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
Goodbye Carroll!
iamskyhigh wrote:
Jul 8th, 2017 1:57 pm
Because I've done my time and I have been rehabilitated.

Now back to the Raptors folks.
Still says you're temporary banned though?