Deal Addict
Sep 12, 2015
1674 posts
1120 upvotes
kenchau wrote:
Jul 19th, 2017 8:10 am

Finally, 2nd option? Over who? KD or Steph? Lol.

We need a guy like Pachulia on the Raptors to give us an edge. Someone that will mix it up down there.
yes, someone that will stick their foot out to block shots so the shooter can get injured.

Deal Addict
Apr 11, 2006
4786 posts
922 upvotes
Mississauga
Androidmarshmellow wrote:
Jul 19th, 2017 8:15 am
yes, someone that will stick their foot out to block shots so the shooter can get injured.
Exactly. When we had Biyombo, he was not afraid to get physical, gave players something to constantly think about. Even LeBron respected the fact that he played hard and went hard. This past season, I feel like opponents just come in with the mindset that the Raptors were "soft".

You think when we had Oakley and Antonio Davis, opponents came in thinking we were soft? No way. We don't need to be the Bad Boys (a la Detroit Pistons), but we need to be respected from a toughness standpoint, which we are not.
Deal Addict
Sep 1, 2005
4611 posts
826 upvotes
Markham
kenchau wrote:
Jul 19th, 2017 8:10 am
He can't defend and move like Draymond Green under that system. Nor can he shoot the 3-pointer, although, something that he can work on in his own time. However, given how he doesn't work on anything else in his own time, I doubt that will happen anytime soon. He's not dirty like Pachulia and Green, so not really bringing added value.

Finally, 2nd option? Over who? KD or Steph? Lol.

We need a guy like Pachulia on the Raptors to give us an edge. Someone that will mix it up down there.
I don't think you have any insight to say this...."given how he doesn't work on anything else in his own time,".

He averages almost a double double on a team which is clearly badly coached ISO oriented. I think that's a pretty big feat. Hard to run up and down the floor and never even get a look or even a consideration. Added to that you have players like Derozen who don't play defense, centers are the ones who usually look bad in those cases.

I think the best example of what he can do if the team emphasized a better more sharing offense was the MIami Heat playoff series where everyone was predicting he'd be killed by Hassan Whiteside. He played very well until he got turned his ankle.
We're all bozos on the bus until we find a way to express ourselves...

Failure is always an option...just not the preferred one!
Deal Addict
Apr 11, 2006
4786 posts
922 upvotes
Mississauga
gr8dlr wrote:
Jul 19th, 2017 10:54 am
I don't think you have any insight to say this...."given how he doesn't work on anything else in his own time,".

He averages almost a double double on a team which is clearly badly coached ISO oriented. I think that's a pretty big feat. Hard to run up and down the floor and never even get a look or even a consideration. Added to that you have players like Derozen who don't play defense, centers are the ones who usually look bad in those cases.

I think the best example of what he can do if the team emphasized a better more sharing offense was the MIami Heat playoff series where everyone was predicting he'd be killed by Hassan Whiteside. He played very well until he got turned his ankle.
If he were mobile, if he had more to offer besides a traditional big man game, he'd be on the floor to keep pace during small ball line ups. The game today rarely runs their offense through their big man.

You folks think he'd do better in Golden State...do you even know how many points Draymond averages? Let me tell you, less than JV. 10 PPG is all Draymond averages, and that's with 1-2 made threes per game. He gets less attempts per game than JV and plays more minutes, so on a per 36 minute basis, JV would average 2-4 attempts more.

You want to talk about not getting shot attempts as an excuse for development or what have you? Well he would get far less attempts in a Golden State system. You either play yourself to more minutes or you play yourself to less minutes. JV has no one to blame but himself.
Deal Addict
Sep 1, 2005
4611 posts
826 upvotes
Markham
kenchau wrote:
Jul 19th, 2017 11:18 am
If he were mobile, if he had more to offer besides a traditional big man game, he'd be on the floor to keep pace during small ball line ups. The game today rarely runs their offense through their big man.

You folks think he'd do better in Golden State...do you even know how many points Draymond averages? Let me tell you, less than JV. 10 PPG is all Draymond averages, and that's with 1-2 made threes per game. He gets less attempts per game than JV and plays more minutes, so on a per 36 minute basis, JV would average 2-4 attempts more.

You want to talk about not getting shot attempts as an excuse for development or what have you? Well he would get far less attempts in a Golden State system. You either play yourself to more minutes or you play yourself to less minutes. JV has no one to blame but himself.
Don't know why you quoted me when you didn't reference anything I said.
We're all bozos on the bus until we find a way to express ourselves...

Failure is always an option...just not the preferred one!
Apr 4, 2009
598 posts
73 upvotes
gr8dlr wrote:
Jul 19th, 2017 10:54 am

Interesting you point out the Miami Heat series. After Game 3 and their team meeting against the Bucks, Raptors were playing a completely different brand of Basketball where they were swinging the ball cross court and making passes I've never seen before from this core.

Even Carroll, Patterson commented about the welcome change.

Of course JV played well against Whiteside who injured his right knee against Charlotte. Just like Ian Mahimi who was dealing with a bad back against us. Why couldn't he dominate a frail rookie who's previous experience was playing north of Toronto in Orangeville?
Deal Fanatic
May 9, 2006
9837 posts
895 upvotes
makaturing wrote:
Jul 12th, 2017 10:46 pm
Tucker, Patterson, Carroll throwing salt. Why didn't you prove your sorry asses when you were here? It's the coaches' fault? Bullshit.

I can't knock Tucker's gritty play, but Patterson and Carroll were handed open shots over and over again and failed to knock them down. That's the coach's fault? He put you in the position where you're supposed to excel, and you couldn't do it. That ain't Casey's fault, that's YOUR fault.
Pierce and Jackson agree. They blast on Carroll:

http://www.sportsnet.ca/basketball/nba/ ... m-raptors/
“DeMarre Carroll, why are you even talking,” Jackson said. “If anybody passes you the ball you should be happy. Play defence – you’re Bruce Bowen – just go in the corners, shoot threes and be happy. You shouldn’t even have an input. You’re not good.”

“It’s not that he’s not good,” host Rachel Nichols followed up.

“He’s not good enough to have an opinion,” Jackson deadpanned in response.
Deal Addict
Jul 23, 2013
2895 posts
994 upvotes
Tuktoyaktuk
joeyjoejoe wrote:
Jul 20th, 2017 12:01 pm
Pierce and Jackson agree. They blast on Carroll:
Carroll shows his true colours, he is a bum. He was vastly overrated when he arrived, and did nothing to improve his reputation while here.

If you want to have some fun, email Doug Smith at the Toronto Star and point out the latest remarks.

Ol' Dougie has refused to even consider that DeMarre Carroll might just stink. He considers him to be a "serviceable forward" and someone the team should value. He gets very upset when you criticize Mr. Fashion.

Hey Dougie, I told ya so.
Deal Addict
Aug 5, 2006
2152 posts
593 upvotes
Global Village
Jermyzy wrote:
Jul 20th, 2017 10:57 pm
Dwane Casey wants to give Derozan more time at point guard

http://www.sportsnet.ca/basketball/nba/ ... int-guard/
Then the rest of the guys better score. I'd like to see a lot more small ball this year, throw out Demar, Kyle, Norm, Miles, Serge and let them outscore opponents a-la-Houston. In fact Demar may have a whole bunch of triple-double games like Harden as a PG.
Deal Addict
Apr 11, 2006
4786 posts
922 upvotes
Mississauga
geokilla wrote:
Jul 21st, 2017 6:08 pm
http://www.sportsnet.ca/basketball/nba/ ... -comments/

Matt Devlin talks about Demarre Carroll.
Nice to actually get to hear his personal thoughts on any aspect of the Raptors. Certainly some of these things weren't things that he can really mention as a Raptors commentator.

I like the rip into Carroll. Good on Devlin!
Deal Addict
Aug 5, 2006
2152 posts
593 upvotes
Global Village
Andrew Nicholson at the minimum anyone?