• Last Updated:
  • Nov 18th, 2018 9:41 pm
Deal Fanatic
Apr 8, 2013
8545 posts
302 upvotes
We really need to quit blaming the refs. Raptors are always too late to plug the leak.

Beal killed the raps in the first half
Tim Hardaway JR hitting 38 pts
Scrub Lance just doing whatever he wants.

Casey was either too late to make adjustments or he failed at it. This is systematic.
Diversity Is Our Strength 😎
Nov 3, 2014
634 posts
82 upvotes
Toronto, ON
grappos13 wrote:
Nov 25th, 2017 7:44 am

I wonder if JV is worth a late lottery pick or not... we will find out sooner than later
If JV can be had for a lottery pick, or a 1st round pick, he'd be gone already
Nov 3, 2014
634 posts
82 upvotes
Toronto, ON
grappos13 wrote:
Nov 26th, 2017 4:11 am
^ i doubt that.. they wouldnt give up JV for just a like mid 20s 1st rounder imo.. not on a friendly contract for a guy who averaged 12 and 10 in 25mpg..
Problem is, no teams want his outdated skillset.

There's a reason why Jahil Okafor still hasn't been traded yet
Deal Addict
Aug 5, 2006
3094 posts
932 upvotes
Global Village
danny3526 wrote:
Nov 26th, 2017 9:55 am
Problem is, no teams want his outdated skillset.

There's a reason why Jahil Okafor still hasn't been traded yet
Given the 3-year contracts given to Kyle, Serge & Miles I'm sure they'll be looking for a big under contract for that length. Deandre makes sense defensively but he would have to give assurances he'll sign for another 2 years. Even with all his offensive deficiencies if I am 100% sure Deandre signs for 2 more years this summer I make the deal to give JV up for him.
Trouble is he could tell you 1 thing now and pull a Dallas move again.
All day I dream about sports
Feb 13, 2015
939 posts
141 upvotes
Oakville, ON
scoper wrote:
Nov 26th, 2017 9:30 pm
Given the 3-year contracts given to Kyle, Serge & Miles I'm sure they'll be looking for a big under contract for that length. Deandre makes sense defensively but he would have to give assurances he'll sign for another 2 years. Even with all his offensive deficiencies if I am 100% sure Deandre signs for 2 more years this summer I make the deal to give JV up for him.
Trouble is he could tell you 1 thing now and pull a Dallas move again.
Well he wont have Blake and CP3 there to sway his decision. More importantly they wont baricade Jordans house with a chair this time lol
Jan 4, 2017
175 posts
43 upvotes
geokilla wrote:
Nov 28th, 2017 9:54 am
https://medium.com/@williamlou92/raptor ... 0dafd8f5f5

Pretty much agree with everything William Lou said here. He's a huge liability and unless he makes some drastic changes in the next few games, he shouldn't play more than 20 to 25 minutes a game. He's too big of a liability on defense.
+1 with everything said in the article. He should be limited to a role player. As much as the game has changed the last few years, a team should still be able to dictate the pace and style and expose poor small-ball match ups with post play. The other 4 dudes just have to get ready to run back every time.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 1, 2005
5615 posts
1254 upvotes
Markham
Unlike Hockey, it's interesting that in basketball they don't seem to employ as much matching strategies. Depending on the team they're playing and the lineup, JV could be used 1st or 2nd string. Perhaps Casey needs to improve his coaching....if he keeps doing the same thing why should he expect something different.

Rather than only using him for pick and roll, JV is a pretty good shooting the ball, bringing him out might allow him to shoot the ball or drive and hook or .....

Perhaps he needs to employ some Andre Drummond strategy (see below). Bringing Drummond out means more room in the paint for DD and rest of team to drive.

I think everyone is only look at JV....can't say Serge has been playing well nor was CJ earlier. But everyone only focuses on JV. It's taking a toll and it's self-fulfilling that he's going to regress IMO.
We're all bozos on the bus until we find a way to express ourselves...

Failure is always an option...just not the preferred one!
Deal Addict
Aug 5, 2006
3094 posts
932 upvotes
Global Village
geokilla wrote:
Nov 28th, 2017 9:54 am
https://medium.com/@williamlou92/raptor ... 0dafd8f5f5

Pretty much agree with everything William Lou said here. He's a huge liability and unless he makes some drastic changes in the next few games, he shouldn't play more than 20 to 25 minutes a game. He's too big of a liability on defense.
Wait, we passed on trades for Harden and Kawhi for JV during that draft?!

I think the opinion piece takes it a bit too far, underestimates JV's shooting and offensive abilities and ignores the point that in today's NBA slow moving C's like JV become more important in the playoffs when the game slows down. I do agree that JV looks lost often in the speed of the regular season, but the reg season is meaningless, if he helps us win a playoff series vs potential 1st rnd teams like the Bucks, Pistons, Knicks with his offence and rebounding then he is worth keeping.
All day I dream about sports
Deal Addict
May 18, 2009
4663 posts
780 upvotes
Toronto
gr8dlr wrote:
Nov 28th, 2017 11:48 am
Unlike Hockey, it's interesting that in basketball they don't seem to employ as much matching strategies. Depending on the team they're playing and the lineup, JV could be used 1st or 2nd string. Perhaps Casey needs to improve his coaching....if he keeps doing the same thing why should he expect something different.

Rather than only using him for pick and roll, JV is a pretty good shooting the ball, bringing him out might allow him to shoot the ball or drive and hook or .....

Perhaps he needs to employ some Andre Drummond strategy (see below). Bringing Drummond out means more room in the paint for DD and rest of team to drive.

I think everyone is only look at JV....can't say Serge has been playing well nor was CJ earlier. But everyone only focuses on JV. It's taking a toll and it's self-fulfilling that he's going to regress IMO.
its hard to compare JV and Drummond. Not to be racist but black people are known to be more athletic than others.

the key to JV's success, imo, is for him to work quickly with the ball. Once he gets it, he need to do something quick with it - needs to think more quickly. The longer he waits or try to do something, the likelihood of him screwing up skyrockets.
Deal Addict
May 28, 2005
2038 posts
137 upvotes
yesstyle wrote:
Nov 28th, 2017 2:18 pm
its hard to compare JV and Drummond. Not to be racist but black people are known to be more athletic than others.

the key to JV's success, imo, is for him to work quickly with the ball. Once he gets it, he need to do something quick with it - needs to think more quickly. The longer he waits or try to do something, the likelihood of him screwing up skyrockets.
That's not relevant, we're talking about professional athletes not regular ppl. You don't have to be a certain race to cover your position.
signature removed for rule violations - no referrals allowed
Apr 4, 2009
723 posts
98 upvotes
scoper wrote:
Nov 28th, 2017 12:48 pm
Wait, we passed on trades for Harden and Kawhi for JV during that draft?!

I think the opinion piece takes it a bit too far, underestimates JV's shooting and offensive abilities and ignores the point that in today's NBA slow moving C's like JV become more important in the playoffs when the game slows down. I do agree that JV looks lost often in the speed of the regular season, but the reg season is meaningless, if he helps us win a playoff series vs potential 1st rnd teams like the Bucks, Pistons, Knicks with his offence and rebounding then he is worth keeping.
In the 2011 NBA draft, the Spurs and Warriors tried to move up to draft JV. The Harden rumor was when he was up for an extension and OKC didn't want to pay him.

Bryan Colangelo in a nutshell

https://sports.yahoo.com/news/klay-thom ... 40424.html
Myers had known the Spurs were aggressively pushing for a trade into the Toronto Raptors’ fifth spot to draft Lithuanian center Jonas Valanciunas, a move the Warriors wanted to make themselves. Short of that deal, Myers had a sneaking suspicion that the Spurs were moving toward a Plan B: cutting a deal to bound over the Warriors’ 11th overall pick and take Thompson.