For example. Next game raps playing celtics
Deal Addict
Aug 5, 2006
2346 posts
651 upvotes
Global Village
makaturing wrote:
Feb 14th, 2018 5:23 am
Come on, man, let's get serious here. I do understand your point, but elevating the Cavs back to exalted status based on one game against the Celts is ridiculous. The Raptors have worked hard to get home court for every round, and that counts for a lot. If you get into a game 7 situation, you sure as hell don't want to play it in the other team's building. Drop to 7 or 8 when you have home court for every round?
It's about creating the best possible circumstances for us to beat this particular Cavs team in a series this season. Tanking allows you to rest Kyle, Demar, Serge more and to keep them fresh for the playoffs, they will all have to expend more energy (and increase their injury risk) if we keep going for the #1 seed, we have all seen what Kyle and Demar look like when they play tired in the playoffs, we have also seen the positive effect rest has had on Serge. You can showcase our legendary bench players more and give some deeper bench guys like Bebe, Norm etc. more of a look late to keep them ready for when we need them in April (and we will). The Cavs are going to have more issues against a good opponent in the 1st round than they will in later rounds, look at their Indy 1st round series last year and how much better they played against us in the 2nd round, they will make more defensive and offensive mistakes early as they look to incorporate Love back from injury but they will eventually make adjustments and Lebron will help the newer playoff-inexperienced guys work through the early mistakes they make. And all it takes is winning 1 of the 1st couple of games on the road and the home court advantage shifts back to our favor. If they make enough mistakes and we play well enough to get them to a game 6 at home up 3-2 I like our chances.
Deal Fanatic
Apr 11, 2006
5077 posts
1039 upvotes
Mississauga
scoper wrote:
Feb 15th, 2018 12:31 pm
It's about creating the best possible circumstances for us to beat this particular Cavs team in a series this season. Tanking allows you to rest Kyle, Demar, Serge more and to keep them fresh for the playoffs, they will all have to expend more energy (and increase their injury risk) if we keep going for the #1 seed, we have all seen what Kyle and Demar look like when they play tired in the playoffs, we have also seen the positive effect rest has had on Serge. You can showcase our legendary bench players more and give some deeper bench guys like Bebe, Norm etc. more of a look late to keep them ready for when we need them in April (and we will). The Cavs are going to have more issues against a good opponent in the 1st round than they will in later rounds, look at their Indy 1st round series last year and how much better they played against us in the 2nd round, they will make more defensive and offensive mistakes early as they look to incorporate Love back from injury but they will eventually make adjustments and Lebron will help the newer playoff-inexperienced guys work through the early mistakes they make. And all it takes is winning 1 of the 1st couple of games on the road and the home court advantage shifts back to our favor. If they make enough mistakes and we play well enough to get them to a game 6 at home up 3-2 I like our chances.
I don't know how much less minutes you want our guys to play. Our bench is getting roughly 20 minutes in this 7 game win streak going into the all star break.

Sure, they're not all going to be like that, but the reality is, there just isn't a whole lot of actually good teams and the Raptors, for the most part, are annihilating teams they are supposed to. So they're getting the rest.

And with the style their playing, it's a little less wear and tear on their bodies as well (for our all stars).

Home court advantage trumps all. So does a winning mindset - tanking and losing changes the mindset of players.
Dec 26, 2003
821 posts
304 upvotes
Scarborough, ON
Chris Bosh back to Raptors?

Imagine Bosh and Carter back in a Raptors uniform at same time lol?
Fido
Koodo
Deal Addict
Jan 31, 2006
3533 posts
268 upvotes
Toronto
Primetyme wrote:
Feb 15th, 2018 1:25 pm
Chris Bosh back to Raptors?

Imagine Bosh and Carter back in a Raptors uniform at same time lol?
i think bosh might be the surprise signing.
My Heatware no posting contact info in your sig
Deal Fanatic
Apr 11, 2006
5077 posts
1039 upvotes
Mississauga
No Bosh, please. Vince Carter, sure.
Deal Guru
Mar 1, 2008
11403 posts
1598 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
I just hope Bosh is cleared to play. I don't want him to risk his life for the game.
Deal Addict
Aug 5, 2006
2346 posts
651 upvotes
Global Village
kenchau wrote:
Feb 15th, 2018 1:20 pm
I don't know how much less minutes you want our guys to play. Our bench is getting roughly 20 minutes in this 7 game win streak going into the all star break.

Sure, they're not all going to be like that, but the reality is, there just isn't a whole lot of actually good teams and the Raptors, for the most part, are annihilating teams they are supposed to. So they're getting the rest.

And with the style their playing, it's a little less wear and tear on their bodies as well (for our all stars).

Home court advantage trumps all. So does a winning mindset - tanking and losing changes the mindset of players.
If it was up to me I would rest Demar, Kyle, Serge and JV for all 10 remaining home games and restrict their mins to 15 mins per game for the remaining away games. The added benefit of tanking is not only will we have a better chance against the Cavs in the 1st round but we will also get a higher pick in the draft this way.

To me beating the Cavs trumps home court advantage in this case, if we can do that I am confident we can dispense with the remaining east playoff teams without home court and get to the finals. If we keep fighting for #1 and get the Cavs in the EC finals again I don't like our chances, even with home court.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 11, 2007
6254 posts
1440 upvotes
I don't think Bosh will be able to find a doctor to clear him due to liability reasons.
In the event Bosh returns to the NBA and dies as a result of his recurring blood clotting condition,
the doctor that cleared him to play could potentially be sued for millions.

geokilla wrote:
Feb 15th, 2018 2:05 pm
I just hope Bosh is cleared to play. I don't want him to risk his life for the game.
Deal Addict
Jul 3, 2006
3651 posts
1451 upvotes
Toronto
scoper wrote:
Feb 15th, 2018 11:58 pm
If it was up to me I would rest Demar, Kyle, Serge and JV for all 10 remaining home games and restrict their mins to 15 mins per game for the remaining away games. The added benefit of tanking is not only will we have a better chance against the Cavs in the 1st round but we will also get a higher pick in the draft this way.

To me beating the Cavs trumps home court advantage in this case, if we can do that I am confident we can dispense with the remaining east playoff teams without home court and get to the finals. If we keep fighting for #1 and get the Cavs in the EC finals again I don't like our chances, even with home court.
Your tanking idea is one of the dumbest things I've read in this thread. You have made multiple posts suggesting this is what the Raptors need to do, so I would have guessed that you did the math, but obviously you didn't.

If the Raptors decided to tank so that they could face Cleveland in the first round, they would have to tank all the way down to 7th or 8th place since Cleveland would most likely finish in 1st or 2nd.

7th place is currently occupied by Philadelphia who has a .545 winning percentage and is on pace to win 45 games. 8th place currently belongs to Miami, who is on pace to win 42 games. The Raptors already have 41 wins and only have 25 games left. That means to get to 7th they would likely need to go 2-23 to finish behind Philadelphia. To get to 8th place they'd need to lose every remaining game and go 0-25 to finish behind Miami.

Do you actually think this makes sense? Do you actually think the NBA would sit by and allow it? Honestly one of the stupidest things I've read in this thread SMH.
Deal Addict
Aug 5, 2006
2346 posts
651 upvotes
Global Village
pintobean wrote:
Feb 16th, 2018 12:40 am
Your tanking idea is one of the dumbest things I've read in this thread. You have made multiple posts suggesting this is what the Raptors need to do, so I would have guessed that you did the math, but obviously you didn't.

If the Raptors decided to tank so that they could face Cleveland in the first round, they would have to tank all the way down to 7th or 8th place since Cleveland would most likely finish in 1st or 2nd.

7th place is currently occupied by Philadelphia who has a .545 winning percentage and is on pace to win 45 games. 8th place currently belongs to Miami, who is on pace to win 42 games. The Raptors already have 41 wins and only have 25 games left. That means to get to 7th they would likely need to go 2-23 to finish behind Philadelphia. To get to 8th place they'd need to lose every remaining game and go 0-25 to finish behind Miami.

Do you actually think this makes sense? Do you actually think the NBA would sit by and allow it? Honestly one of the stupidest things I've read in this thread SMH.
It is undoubtedly controversial, the NBA won't like it and will complain but can't really stop us from doing it. It also happens to be our best chance of beating this Cavs team in the playoffs.
Deal Fanatic
Apr 11, 2006
5077 posts
1039 upvotes
Mississauga
scoper wrote:
Feb 16th, 2018 2:40 am
It is undoubtedly controversial, the NBA won't like it and will complain but can't really stop us from doing it. It also happens to be our best chance of beating this Cavs team in the playoffs.
You're not getting it, despite how clearly it's been spelled out for you. You don't just not play ten home games and play 15 minutes per away game, and think they are going to be as sharp in the playoffs. They are athletes, but they are human beings, not robots. It changes the mindset, you lose the chemistry, you can't simulate real game situations with just practicing.

What you suggest, will lead them to a first round exit, whether it's against the Cavs or a mediocre team because they will forget how to play the great basketball they're playing now.
Deal Addict
Apr 18, 2010
4342 posts
356 upvotes
Toronto
kitchensink wrote:
Feb 14th, 2018 9:41 am
I hate to say it, but I think this team misses the steady presence of... even Carroll who knew what to do on the defensive end.
Absolutely not
Deal Addict
Aug 5, 2006
2346 posts
651 upvotes
Global Village
kenchau wrote:
Feb 16th, 2018 9:07 am
You're not getting it, despite how clearly it's been spelled out for you. You don't just not play ten home games and play 15 minutes per away game, and think they are going to be as sharp in the playoffs. They are athletes, but they are human beings, not robots. It changes the mindset, you lose the chemistry, you can't simulate real game situations with just practicing.

What you suggest, will lead them to a first round exit, whether it's against the Cavs or a mediocre team because they will forget how to play the great basketball they're playing now.
I disagree about a corresponding dive in sharpness and chemistry, the 4 starters have extensive playoff experience, they are pros who won't just forget to play team ball as they have so far, they may publicly complain about their reduced mins but they all know the remaining regular season games are meaningless, they will bring it as soon as the playoffs start and should win at least 1 of the 1st 2 games in Cleveland.

And we can count on other teams doing everything in their power to avoid a 1st round Cavs matchup and therefore help us get the desired matchup down the stretch.
Deal Addict
Aug 5, 2006
2346 posts
651 upvotes
Global Village
marktang wrote:
Feb 15th, 2018 1:35 pm
i think bosh might be the surprise signing.
If he's medically cleared I sign him, when Pascal's shot isn't dropping you put him out there to get you some buckets. He's a big who most crucially can hit free throws also, unlike Jakob. Wouldn't be surprised to see hack-a-Jak strategy against us in the playoffs when our 3s are dropping and Jacob is on the floor.