Deal Fanatic
Jan 17, 2002
6690 posts
412 upvotes
Toronto
airpods wrote:
May 15th, 2018 12:46 pm
lmao, seriously? wtf?
Ujiri the genious. Maybe Milwaukee will grab him first and he will luck out again like he did when he tried to trade Lowry to the Knicks for scrap.
Deal Guru
Mar 1, 2008
11973 posts
1861 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
These two games against Boston just proves how bad Casey is at playoff coaching. No more speculations on whether firing Casey is the right move. It was the right move.
Deal Addict
Jul 3, 2006
3790 posts
1566 upvotes
Toronto
^ Yup, it seems like our defense-first coach couldn't figure out a way to teach his players to defend against a team with one superstar and a supporting cast of mediocre players. Both Indiana and Boston are totally exposing Toronto's shortcomings.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 11, 2007
6643 posts
1618 upvotes
Everyone seems to forget Kevin Love is an all-star player.
His career regular season and playoff PER (Player Efficiency Ratings) are much better than DeMar DeRozan's numbers.

Remember it was LeBron that drove Kyrie Irving away.
Irving could not co-exist with LeBron and he forced a trade out of Cleveland.

pintobean wrote:
May 15th, 2018 11:32 pm
^ Yup, it seems like our defense-first coach couldn't figure out a way to teach his players to defend against a team with one superstar and a supporting cast of mediocre players. Both Indiana and Boston are totally exposing Toronto's shortcomings.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 1, 2005
5513 posts
1205 upvotes
Markham
Cavs:

Bad coaching in my opinion. I think they need to get other players engaged. Too often the Cavs stand around and watch LeBron do everything. Perhaps start Jose Calderon who I think will help them to move the ball and get players touches. The constant changing lineup doesn't help....no one knows what the others are doing on offense or defense.

Those who say Cavs only have Love and Lebron? Kyle Korver is one of the leagues best three point shooters. T. Thompson is one of the leagues better defenders/rebounders. G. Hill is a decent Point guard...he showed he can play when he was with the Pacers - don't think he's 100% though.

Kyrie was much more important to the Cavs. He gave the Cavs one other player who can drive and kick or make his own shot. Right now, I think they only have LeBron.

Series isn't over regardless. Celtics won two games at home. Cavs have a chance to go back and win their two games. Right now the Cavs 3 ball shooters (korver/Smith/Love) are non-existent. If they start shooting better, the Celts will have to modify their defense.
We're all bozos on the bus until we find a way to express ourselves...

Failure is always an option...just not the preferred one!
Apr 24, 2018
189 posts
15 upvotes
gr8dlr wrote:
May 16th, 2018 10:46 am
Cavs:

Bad coaching in my opinion. I think they need to get other players engaged. Too often the Cavs stand around and watch LeBron do everything. Perhaps start Jose Calderon who I think will help them to move the ball and get players touches. The constant changing lineup doesn't help....no one knows what the others are doing on offense or defense.

Those who say Cavs only have Love and Lebron? Kyle Korver is one of the leagues best three point shooters. T. Thompson is one of the leagues better defenders/rebounders. G. Hill is a decent Point guard...he showed he can play when he was with the Pacers - don't think he's 100% though.

Kyrie was much more important to the Cavs. He gave the Cavs one other player who can drive and kick or make his own shot. Right now, I think they only have LeBron.

Series isn't over regardless. Celtics won two games at home. Cavs have a chance to go back and win their two games. Right now the Cavs 3 ball shooters (korver/Smith/Love) are non-existent. If they start shooting better, the Celts will have to modify their defense.
korver and JR have been hitting some BIG 3's all playoffs.

you can say the problem is coaching, but we all know who really coaches that team. the problem is lebron holds the ball too long and turns the ball over too often. this creates a very predictable offence. calderon can't help them "move the ball" because lebron wants to bring the ball up. and even if he doesn't, once it gets in his hands, it's like a black hole.
Aug 16, 2017
706 posts
134 upvotes
Toronto
funny thing is that even though cavs have bad coaching, the lebron iso ball waiting for cutting teammates for easy baskets worked like a gem against the raptors. The defensive strategy and intensity is just north south between Boston and the Raptors.

So I agree with this Coach Casey firing thing. We need a better coach that can adjust on the fly during the playoffs.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 1, 2005
5513 posts
1205 upvotes
Markham
airpods wrote:
May 16th, 2018 10:57 am
korver and JR have been hitting some BIG 3's all playoffs.

you can say the problem is coaching, but we all know who really coaches that team. the problem is lebron holds the ball too long and turns the ball over too often. this creates a very predictable offence. calderon can't help them "move the ball" because lebron wants to bring the ball up. and even if he doesn't, once it gets in his hands, it's like a black hole.
Korver and JR haven't showed up against the Celts yet. Anytime I've ever seen the Cavs and they bring in Jose, the ball seems to move. Lebron holding the ball is kindof like what happens with Derozen, teammates tend to just watch and not cut/move. TyLue is doing what Casey does.
We're all bozos on the bus until we find a way to express ourselves...

Failure is always an option...just not the preferred one!
Deal Addict
Aug 5, 2006
2975 posts
858 upvotes
Global Village
gr8dlr wrote:
May 16th, 2018 10:46 am
Cavs:

You do realize that Rozier will absolutely TORCH Calderon if he's on the floor, right?
All day I dream about sports
Deal Fanatic
Jan 17, 2002
6690 posts
412 upvotes
Toronto
gr8dlr wrote:
May 16th, 2018 12:44 pm
Korver and JR haven't showed up against the Celts yet. Anytime I've ever seen the Cavs and they bring in Jose, the ball seems to move. Lebron holding the ball is kindof like what happens with Derozen, teammates tend to just watch and not cut/move. TyLue is doing what Casey does.
Korver and JR don't have someone like Demar lazily "guarding" them in this series.
Nov 3, 2014
627 posts
79 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Coach Bud joins the Bucks.

Makes sense on his end. Raptors peaked and the 2 year window is going to scare alot of external candidates away.
Deal Fanatic
Apr 11, 2006
5560 posts
1247 upvotes
Mississauga
frogger wrote:
May 16th, 2018 5:32 pm
Korver and JR don't have someone like Demar lazily "guarding" them in this series.
No, but they are missing the wide open ones as well. So is Love and some of the other guys.

Whereas, in the Raptors series, they practically hit every open 3. Granted they had more of them, but the point is they made them. I guess it's a little bit of law of averages, and they need to miss a stretch of them now, so Boston benefits

Just the way it goes.
Deal Guru
Mar 1, 2008
11973 posts
1861 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
scoper wrote:
May 16th, 2018 8:45 pm
We met with Budenholzer and didn't even make an offer. Maybe we're going internal, Nurse, Stackhouse.

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/2352 ... head-coach
I hope not. I don't see how our assistant coaches and personnel can turn it around. They came up with most of the offensive and defensive schemes we ran all season long didn't they?
Deal Addict
Aug 5, 2006
2975 posts
858 upvotes
Global Village
geokilla wrote:
May 16th, 2018 11:34 pm
I hope not. I don't see how our assistant coaches and personnel can turn it around. They came up with most of the offensive and defensive schemes we ran all season long didn't they?
Yup, going internal would be a sign we plan to trade the expensive guys we can and start over imo.
All day I dream about sports