• Last Updated:
  • Aug 20th, 2018 8:28 pm
Apr 4, 2009
701 posts
90 upvotes
scoper wrote:
May 17th, 2018 2:19 am
Yup, going internal would be a sign we plan to trade the expensive guys we can and start over imo.
It would mean the opposite. Masai set an expiry date on this core and I wouldn't be surprised if highly regarded candidates outside the team are concerned about this window.

Budenholzer signed for four years which goes well past our expiry date.

In other words, Masai is looking for a coach that wants to work with what he has. Would not surprise me one bit to see Masai play it safe and hire Nick Nurse for a 2yr + a 3rd yr team option.

If you ask me, all his talk about needing a new voice only to promote an internal candidate completely nullifies this statement.

On another note, if Masai is really intent on promoting from within, Derozan has to go. He's had run-ins with Nick Nurse already this year on being benched, and last year he laid a couple F-bombs on Rex Kalamian after Rex yanked him for poor play on both ends. That one in particular was against Washington last March. He simply does not work with what the Raptors were, and are trying to do.

Loyalty can only get you so far, but look what's happening to the Red Wings when they decided to award loyalty to their players.
Apr 24, 2018
176 posts
15 upvotes
kitchensink wrote:
May 17th, 2018 8:49 am
It would mean the opposite. Masai set an expiry date on this core and I wouldn't be surprised if highly regarded candidates outside the team are concerned about this window.

In other words, Masai is looking for a coach that wants to work with what he has. Would not surprise me one bit to see Masai play it safe and hire Nick Nurse for a 2yr + a 3rd yr team option.

If you ask me, all his talk about needing a new voice only to promote an internal candidate completely nullifies this statement.

On another note, if Masai is really intent on promoting from within, Derozan has to go. He's had run-ins with Nick Nurse already this year on being benched, and last year he laid a couple F-bombs on Rex Kalamian after Rex yanked him for poor play on both ends. That one in particular was against Washington last March. He simply does not work with what the Raptors were, and are trying to do.

Loyalty can only get you so far, but look what's happening to the Red Wings when they decided to award loyalty to their players.
they should have set an expiry date on Masai
Deal Addict
Jul 3, 2006
3784 posts
1558 upvotes
Toronto
^ There may well be an expiry date on Masai, but it would be dumb to announce that, so perhaps that's why we haven't heard anything?

Also, to the guy suggesting they dump Demar, do you think it makes sense to sell him when his value is so low? Unless Masai can find a team under the cap that wants to build their future around him (which is unlikely), he'd have to take back equivalent salary, and would likely be replacing Demar with someone else's mistake players. No thanks.

Every summer, Demar supposedly works to improve some aspect of his game. This summer, it should be defence. Meanwhile, Masai needs to bring in a tough, physical player that can defend against LeBron.
Deal Addict
Aug 5, 2006
2791 posts
764 upvotes
Global Village
DimsumDeals wrote:
May 17th, 2018 8:04 am

Amazing stuff, this is why we needed a coaching change.
With the way the Cavs are playing and the 2-way abilities of multiple Celts Casey could be coaching this Celtics team and they'd still be up 2-0. They have been lucky JR Smith and Clarkson haven't been hitting 3s but they also have the right combination of experience, length, toughness, athleticism, pride and instincts on D. This Celtics team is better defensively without Kyrie and Hayward might have been a matchup liability in this series defensively also.

If your life depended on defence vs Lebron and you had to choose between 2 teams, 1. Rozier, Smart, Brown, Morris, Horford or 2. Kyle, Demar, OG, serge, JV with ANY current NBA coach other than Stevens which team would you go for?
All day I dream about sports
Aug 16, 2017
655 posts
118 upvotes
Toronto
scoper wrote:
May 17th, 2018 1:56 pm
With the way the Cavs are playing and the 2-way abilities of multiple Celts Casey could be coaching this Celtics team and they'd still be up 2-0. They have been lucky JR Smith and Clarkson haven't been hitting 3s but they also have the right combination of experience, length, toughness, athleticism, pride and instincts on D. This Celtics team is better defensively without Kyrie and Hayward might have been a matchup liability in this series defensively also.

If your life depended on defence vs Lebron and you had to choose between 2 teams, 1. Rozier, Smart, Brown, Morris, Horford or 2. Kyle, Demar, OG, serge, JV with ANY current NBA coach other than Stevens which team would you go for?
All I'm saying is that the raptors coaching staff could have at least formulate a defensive strategy or some sort of adjustment throughout the series and not do anything, i mean come'on cj miles on kevin love? cj miles on lebron? they are asking for trouble and didnt do anything about it.
Deal Addict
Aug 5, 2006
2791 posts
764 upvotes
Global Village
kitchensink wrote:
May 17th, 2018 8:49 am

Familiarity in this case is a weakness if you're sticking with this core and you expect more defensively, you need a new, strong, experienced voice on orchestrating D, like a Jeff Van Gundy or Scott Skiles. If you go with Nurse it either means you're going 100% offense and hope to outscore without as much emphasis on D or that you plan to trade your expensive guys when the time/offer is right and you want someone inexpensive to give the crowd as much entertainment offensively as possible during the transition.
Deal Addict
Aug 5, 2006
2791 posts
764 upvotes
Global Village
pintobean wrote:
May 17th, 2018 11:22 am
^ There may well be an expiry date on Masai, but it would be dumb to announce that, so perhaps that's why we haven't heard anything?

Also, to the guy suggesting they dump Demar, do you think it makes sense to sell him when his value is so low? Unless Masai can find a team under the cap that wants to build their future around him (which is unlikely), he'd have to take back equivalent salary, and would likely be replacing Demar with someone else's mistake players. No thanks.

Every summer, Demar supposedly works to improve some aspect of his game. This summer, it should be defence. Meanwhile, Masai needs to bring in a tough, physical player that can defend against LeBron.
I disagree, I think the most important thing Demar should work on this summer is his 3 shot. He showed regular season success with his new release but it didn't translate to the playoffs, if Demar is hitting his 3s we would have won at least 2 games vs the Cavs. A more consistent 3 shot makes him much more valuable when it comes to other teams also.
Deal Fanatic
Apr 11, 2006
5381 posts
1140 upvotes
Mississauga
scoper wrote:
May 17th, 2018 2:25 pm
I disagree, I think the most important thing Demar should work on this summer is his 3 shot. He showed regular season success with his new release but it didn't translate to the playoffs, if Demar is hitting his 3s we would have won at least 2 games vs the Cavs. A more consistent 3 shot makes him much more valuable when it comes to other teams also.
Big part of it is obviously on DeMar like you said. Another part of that was the overall ball movement was not there in the playoffs like in the regular season. Credit some of that to faster switches and better defense by the opposition as well, but generally, the poorer play of the Raptors.

And Cleveland's defense was suffocating and intense. But so far they haven't brought that same energy in this Boston series. Don't know if it's fatigue or what.
Deal Guru
Mar 1, 2008
11767 posts
1729 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
kenchau wrote:
May 17th, 2018 3:20 pm
And Cleveland's defense was suffocating and intense. But so far they haven't brought that same energy in this Boston series. Don't know if it's fatigue or what.
I don't buy this argument. Why would they be fatigued against Boston after sweeping us, but not against us after going 7 games against Indiana? If anything, it was the way our team played against Cleveland.
Nov 3, 2014
624 posts
79 upvotes
Toronto, ON
kenchau wrote:
May 17th, 2018 3:20 pm
Big part of it is obviously on DeMar like you said. Another part of that was the overall ball movement was not there in the playoffs like in the regular season. Credit some of that to faster switches and better defense by the opposition as well, but generally, the poorer play of the Raptors.

I think you're giving too much credit to Cleveland's defense here. They were ignoring Ibaka completely, and disrespectfully ignored Derozan when he didn't have the ball.

Obviously Derozan is dangerous with the ball. Them ignoring Derozan without the ball, you typically see this type of treatment on guys like Tony Allen or PJ Tucker. Not against an "all-star" scorer.

On top of OG being raw offensively, Raptors were too easy to shut down on offense and ironically fared better with Miles and VanVleet on the court.
Deal Addict
Aug 5, 2006
2791 posts
764 upvotes
Global Village
scoper wrote:
May 11th, 2018 12:56 pm

Another experienced dark horse coaching candidate (if we're keeping our core) would be Ettore Messina from the Spurs, he would be much cheaper than Budenholzer and considered a coaching genius, since you have to pay Casey his full 6 mill next season (unless he gets another job quickly) salary may be an important factor in the decision.
My Messina prediction has legs now. I just don't know how well he can relate with NBA players today, it's not all about Xs and O's, even if you're a genius at that, you have to be talented at coddling NBA egos these days while also demanding defensive discipline.

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/2360 ... ources-say

Deal Addict
Dec 20, 2015
1128 posts
436 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Guys it's called KARMA!

LeBronTo swept craptors 4-0 in the series, and now their getting a taste of their own medicine! GSW about to get the broom and sweep Lebron and the Cav's.

As the saying goes, what goes around must always come around.
If you like the post or the comment, then don't forget to SMASH that LIKE BUTTON!
Deal Fanatic
Sep 1, 2005
5396 posts
1136 upvotes
Markham
lamboman wrote:
Jun 7th, 2018 7:51 am
Guys it's called KARMA!

LeBronTo swept craptors 4-0 in the series, and now their getting a taste of their own medicine! GSW about to get the broom and sweep Lebron and the Cav's.

As the saying goes, what goes around must always come around.
Yep. Lebron and Cavs are not getting calls like Warriors are....just like Derozen and Raptors not getting calls like Cavs were. Cavs I believe didn't have a free throw the entire first half and there were many muggings by Warriors as Cavs were driving the ball into the paint quite frequently.

NBA needs to address the three point shooting flopping/jumping sideways to initiate contact flop etc, it's very unsportsmanlike. Perhaps three FT to the opponent for a violation will quickly fix this.

They also need to clarify the "review process". eg. If you're reviewing a block or charge call, you cannot change a charge into a block. You can only use review to determine the defender has feet in the zone or not,
We're all bozos on the bus until we find a way to express ourselves...

Failure is always an option...just not the preferred one!