Deal Addict
Jul 3, 2006
3779 posts
1554 upvotes
Toronto
scoper wrote:
Jun 11th, 2018 2:48 pm
I wonder if Casey getting the job means we don't have to pay him the complete $6.5 million he's owed next season.
According to the Toronto Star, the Raptors won't have to pay Casey at all, and will save the entire last year of his $6.5M salary by virtue of him signing with Detroit.
...it speaks to his reputation around the league that he landed a new challenge so quickly — a development that will take Toronto off the hook for the final year of Casey’s contract, a savings of about $6.5 million U.S.
Source:
http://www.thestar.com/sports/raptors/o ... -week.html
Aug 16, 2017
542 posts
100 upvotes
Toronto
good for casey, happy for him, he is a great coach, a lot of credit goes to him for making this team competitive for the last couple of years. My only complaint about him is that he is not a good playoff coach (adjustments).

good luck to him!
Deal Guru
Mar 1, 2008
11643 posts
1674 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
DimsumDeals wrote:
Jun 12th, 2018 10:21 am
good for casey, happy for him, he is a great coach, a lot of credit goes to him for making this team competitive for the last couple of years. My only complaint about him is that he is not a good playoff coach (adjustments).

good luck to him!
Good thing Detroit isn't going to the playoffs.
Aug 16, 2017
542 posts
100 upvotes
Toronto
geokilla wrote:
Jun 12th, 2018 10:24 am
that's why he is a great fit, a middle/bottom dwelling team making the jump to playoff contender perhaps?
Deal Fanatic
Apr 11, 2006
5310 posts
1104 upvotes
Mississauga
geokilla wrote:
Jun 12th, 2018 10:24 am
Casey will get Detroit to the playoffs, and that will be success. He's got some decent pieces to work with there, so shouldn't be difficult.
Apr 4, 2009
670 posts
83 upvotes
Nick Nurse is our new coach per woj

Honestly disappointed considering Masai was preaching the team needed a new voice
Deal Fanatic
Sep 1, 2005
5226 posts
1059 upvotes
Markham
kitchensink wrote:
Jun 12th, 2018 11:22 am

Honestly disappointed considering Masai was preaching the team needed a new voice
Perhaps Nurse (and some other players like Lowry/Derozen) threw Casey under the bus in a meeting with MasaI ?!? Nurse may have been telling Casey one thing and Casey overrode his opinions?!? Only time will tell if the Casey firing was a good move. Either way, I'm of the opinion Casey was not a good coach.
We're all bozos on the bus until we find a way to express ourselves...

Failure is always an option...just not the preferred one!
Deal Addict
Jul 3, 2006
3779 posts
1554 upvotes
Toronto
I'm kinda surprised that all the people who were yelling that Casey needed to be fired over the past few years, are now saying that he was a good coach because he guided the team to 59 wins after being forced to implement his assistant's offensive scheme. The real Casey still showed up in the playoffs when he failed to make adjustments or coach any defence in spite of that being his specialty. I'm sad that things ended the way they did, but I've come to terms with the fact that we needed a fresh start. I'm not sure if Nick Nurse was the way to go, but I'm willing to give him a chance.
Deal Addict
Aug 5, 2006
2636 posts
704 upvotes
Global Village
kenchau wrote:
Jun 12th, 2018 11:21 am
Casey will get Detroit to the playoffs, and that will be success. He's got some decent pieces to work with there, so shouldn't be difficult.
And if we have to face Detroit in the playoffs he knows where all the bodies are buried here and what exactly his team can exploit...
All day I dream about sports
Aug 16, 2017
542 posts
100 upvotes
Toronto
how is promoting an assistant coach improve our team in the playoffs? i dont get it?
Deal Addict
Aug 5, 2006
2636 posts
704 upvotes
Global Village
kitchensink wrote:
Jun 12th, 2018 11:22 am

I'm surprised but you can't ignore the creativity he has shown on offense. The question will be how effectively can he hold our guys accountable on D? Maybe he will hand the defensive reigns to Kalamian completely. If we start signing shooters who are not known for their D it means we'll be going full offense and roll the dice defensively while we look for takers on our expensive guys.
Deal Addict
Aug 5, 2006
2636 posts
704 upvotes
Global Village
pintobean wrote:
Jun 12th, 2018 2:39 am
According to the Toronto Star, the Raptors won't have to pay Casey at all, and will save the entire last year of his $6.5M salary by virtue of him signing with Detroit.

Source:
http://www.thestar.com/sports/raptors/o ... -week.html
The MLSE $people are going to throw a big party over this, it is extraordinary luck and I can't think of any other case where it happened with another fired coach.

It may also signal a "you can keep your $ and I will tear you apart in the playoffs" mentality by Casey / Captain Ahab.
Apr 4, 2009
670 posts
83 upvotes
scoper wrote:
Jun 12th, 2018 12:52 pm
I'm surprised but you can't ignore the creativity he has shown on offense. The question will be how effectively can he hold our guys accountable on D? Maybe he will hand the defensive reigns to Kalamian completely. If we start signing shooters who are not known for their D it means we'll be going full offense and roll the dice defensively while we look for takers on our expensive guys.
I'd be surprised if Kalamian is back. He was a Casey hire and worked with him in Minnesota. Expecting him to follow Casey to Detroit to be honest.

As for Nurse, offense is his speciality and it really wasn't an issue in the playoffs. You can definitely see his offense on display with the bench unit. I just hope Masai brings players who would thrive on this offense and as evident in the playoffs, Derozan simply does not work in this style of offense. He really has to go
Nov 3, 2014
604 posts
76 upvotes
Toronto, ON
I don't mind Nick Nurse, and we seen his offense this year on full display.

Masai should know what players worked and what players didn't work. The roster is as much of an issue than the coaching with Casey
Apr 4, 2009
670 posts
83 upvotes
3 year deal for Nurse.

If Nurse was indeed the guy after a month of searching, I would imagine he'd get a longer deal.

2 years to ride the core out, 1 year in a lame duck situation. Not cool Masai