Deal Guru
Mar 1, 2008
11643 posts
1674 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
kitchensink wrote:
Jun 13th, 2018 3:51 pm
3 year deal for Nurse.

If Nurse was indeed the guy after a month of searching, I would imagine he'd get a longer deal.

2 years to ride the core out, 1 year in a lame duck situation. Not cool Masai
It's a great contract for us, and for Nurse. Masai is basically structuring the team to where in 3 years time, he can start with a fresh new slate if need be. If Nick Nurse proves himself worthy in the next two years, he'll naturally get a contract extension. If he doesn't, then he'll be fired and we'll rebuild with a new coach and new players.
Deal Guru
Mar 1, 2008
11643 posts
1674 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
I wonder if the reason for not hiring Messina was due to money. MLSE showing we're cheap skates.
Deal Addict
Aug 5, 2006
2636 posts
704 upvotes
Global Village
geokilla wrote:
Jun 13th, 2018 4:09 pm
It's a great contract for us, and for Nurse. Masai is basically structuring the team to where in 3 years time, he can start with a fresh new slate if need be. If Nick Nurse proves himself worthy in the next two years, he'll naturally get a contract extension. If he doesn't, then he'll be fired and we'll rebuild with a new coach and new players.
Yup, he's a rookie head coach in a league full of egos, he's going to have to make some controversial PT decisions with Serge especially if he continues to underperform offensively, there was that incident between Serge and Casey after that away OKC game so we know he will get in Nurse's face if his role is reduced. 3 years gives us some insurance if his rookie coaching year is a disaster.
When Lebron leaves I think the Cavs will look to unload Kevin Love. If they agree to a Love for Serge and Norm offer we would have to take it based on what we saw from Serge in the playoffs, wouldn't we? Love better fits Nurse's offensive focus and he's a far better rebounder.
All day I dream about sports
Nov 3, 2014
604 posts
76 upvotes
Toronto, ON
geokilla wrote:
Jun 13th, 2018 4:12 pm
I wonder if the reason for not hiring Messina was due to money. MLSE showing we're cheap skates.
Unless the internal push as reported by Lewenberg was from the board, doubt it. If anything, MLSE is willing to shell out the big bucks for any big name coaches like Mike Babcock.

3 years for someone that's supposedly highly regarded around the league, doesn't speak confidence though. Especially with Masai being gung ho about 2020.

Brett Brown, Kenny Atkinson got 4 years as first time coaches, and Fred Hoiberg, Luke Walton, Billy Donovan all got 5 years. The mighty Brad Stevens got 6 years.
Aug 16, 2017
542 posts
100 upvotes
Toronto
scoper wrote:
Jun 13th, 2018 5:15 pm
Yup, he's a rookie head coach in a league full of egos, he's going to have to make some controversial PT decisions with Serge especially if he continues to underperform offensively, there was that incident between Serge and Casey after that away OKC game so we know he will get in Nurse's face if his role is reduced. 3 years gives us some insurance if his rookie coaching year is a disaster.
When Lebron leaves I think the Cavs will look to unload Kevin Love. If they agree to a Love for Serge and Norm offer we would have to take it based on what we saw from Serge in the playoffs, wouldn't we? Love better fits Nurse's offensive focus and he's a far better rebounder.
i dont think the cavs will agree on trading Kevin Love for garbage Ibaka and garbage Norm...
Deal Addict
Jul 3, 2006
3779 posts
1554 upvotes
Toronto
With a short deal for Nurse and now letting Kalamian walk, I think all the signs are pointing to MLSE doing a complete tear down and rebuild once Derozan, Lowry and Ibaka are off the books. They've probably seen how well it worked for the Leafs, and are going to give it a try in Raptorland too. I bet you Drake is the only name they keep around.
Deal Addict
Aug 5, 2006
2636 posts
704 upvotes
Global Village
DimsumDeals wrote:
Jun 14th, 2018 10:18 am
i dont think the cavs will agree on trading Kevin Love for garbage Ibaka and garbage Norm...
Will they get a better offer for Love? He was brave to go public about his panic attacks but that revelation also hurt his trade value. After Lebron leaves no FA is going to want to sign there so they will be looking for young talent with potential locked on multi-year contracts like Norm. Maybe we throw in a 2nd round pick to sweeten the deal but it's doable.
Deal Addict
Aug 5, 2006
2636 posts
704 upvotes
Global Village
pintobean wrote:
Jun 14th, 2018 10:58 pm
With a short deal for Nurse and now letting Kalamian walk, I think all the signs are pointing to MLSE doing a complete tear down and rebuild once Derozan, Lowry and Ibaka are off the books. They've probably seen how well it worked for the Leafs, and are going to give it a try in Raptorland too. I bet you Drake is the only name they keep around.
It is most likely not going to be complete teardown next season where they trade all 3 now imo. I am starting to think there is a move that can start the teardown now and still keep us very competitive next season: trade Demar to Memphis for the #4 pick (where we would pick Luka Doncic) and Chandler Parsons. Parsons is a bad contract but it's for 2 years only (a year shorter than Demar's), we don't need him in the regular season so we can work to keep him healthy until the playoffs where the guy can still contribute offensively. The true reason for the move would be to get Doncic, we get younger and he also happens to be the most NBA-ready 19-year-old prospect to come from europe EVER, he is going to have issues with speed and defensively in the NBA but in the playoffs when the game slows down I think he will make a difference for us surrounded by our young talent, JV scoring, Kyle's experience, his passing, shooting, playmaking. And the move would make sense especially if Lebron stays in the East.

http://amicohoops.net/nba-rumors-memphi ... nba-draft/