Toronto, Ontario
The disrespect is real. No Christmas game again. WTF
Aug 16, 2017
702 posts
133 upvotes
Toronto
scoper wrote:
Aug 8th, 2018 2:10 pm
Well well, NBA TV partners would rather show the Utah Jazz on Xmas than the Raptors! Donovan Mitchell must be seen as a bigger TV draw than any 1 player on our team, and they might have a valid point on that.
Utah got in because of the timeslot... that timeslot would be too late for us here on the east coast.

still a bummer though, we'll get a game at least on Boxing Day I hope!
Banned
Jul 6, 2009
1267 posts
25 upvotes
geokilla wrote:
Aug 8th, 2018 10:08 pm
The disrespect is real. No Christmas game again. WTF
I know eh... Why show the Knicks and Bucks? Nobody wants to see that.

We want to see the Raptors vs the Spurs.
<Signature removed> - It made fun of a former user named "a-tree" and his narcissistic attitude. However, he's permanently banned from these Forums so no need for this signature anymore. Good riddance!
Deal Addict
Aug 5, 2006
2960 posts
851 upvotes
Global Village
Needinghelp wrote:
Aug 10th, 2018 5:40 pm
I know eh... Why show the Knicks and Bucks? Nobody wants to see that.

We want to see the Raptors vs the Spurs.
Completely agree, the Knicks are unlikely to have Porzingis playing too. SPURS -RAPS in San Antonio should have been the game they picked, I guess they might have been worried about all the fan hostility Kawhi will face back, not very Christmasy...
All day I dream about sports
Banned
Jul 6, 2009
1267 posts
25 upvotes
scoper wrote:
Aug 10th, 2018 6:42 pm
Completely agree, the Knicks are unlikely to have Porzingis playing too. SPURS -RAPS in San Antonio should have been the game they picked, I guess they might have been worried about all the fan hostility Kawhi will face back, not very Christmasy...
Very true. That's probably why, but the Raptors never get any love from the US media, hence why they've never had a Christmas Day game. The level of disrespect is real!

I posted this in the general NBA thread but thought I'd repost this here as to my thoughts on the upcoming season.

The Raptors could very well win the East with Kawhi and Green now on the team. I think the Raps have the best defense in the East with Kawhi, Danny Green, Lowry, Van Vleet, Delon Wright and Norm Powell. But unfortunately, it'll be a blowout loss to the Warriors in the NBA Finals.

The Raptors just added NBA Finals MVP and All NBA First Team in Kawhi who's great at both ends of the floor (defensive player of the year too), plus a great 3 point shooter in Danny Green who's also a plus defender. Add on to the current team (minus DeRozan) who won 59 games last year and without DeMar's choking in the playoffs to account for, I believe they're 50/50 with the Celtics to win the Eastern Conference, as Kawhi Leonard is the best player in the East and he's on the Raptors. I'm giving the Raptors the preference to win it because they get a home-town discount for being Toronto/Canada's team - our team. Gotta have faith!
<Signature removed> - It made fun of a former user named "a-tree" and his narcissistic attitude. However, he's permanently banned from these Forums so no need for this signature anymore. Good riddance!
Deal Addict
Aug 5, 2006
2960 posts
851 upvotes
Global Village
Needinghelp wrote:
Aug 10th, 2018 6:48 pm
Very true. That's probably why, but the Raptors never get any love from the US media, hence why they've never had a Christmas Day game. The level of disrespect is real!

I posted this in the general NBA thread but thought I'd repost this here as to my thoughts on the upcoming season.

The Raptors could very well win the East with Kawhi and Green now on the team. I think the Raps have the best defense in the East with Kawhi, Danny Green, Lowry, Van Vleet, Delon Wright and Norm Powell. But unfortunately, it'll be a blowout loss to the Warriors in the NBA Finals.

The Raptors just added NBA Finals MVP and All NBA First Team in Kawhi who's great at both ends of the floor (defensive player of the year too), plus a great 3 point shooter in Danny Green who's also a plus defender. Add on to the current team (minus DeRozan) who won 59 games last year and without DeMar's choking in the playoffs to account for, I believe they're 50/50 with the Celtics to win the Eastern Conference, as Kawhi Leonard is the best player in the East and he's on the Raptors. I'm giving the Raptors the preference to win it because they get a home-town discount for being Toronto/Canada's team - our team. Gotta have faith!
Sad truth is we simply don't know how good we'll be until we can see Kawhi play again, I think it's premature to have really high expectations right now, he could hurt his quad again in preseason (the fact he has re-injured it before is a bad sign) and we'll be fighting to even get in the playoffs this season. Because he doesn't want to play here he could pull another Spurs and when he gets hurt at some point again he could say he doesn't feel he is ready to return back to the floor (although that will hurt his free agency value next summer). 1 thing is for sure, we are going to rest him a lot this regular season, at least 20 games imo, no back to backs for him I expect and maybe even shut him down the last 2-3 weeks of the reg season to be safe if we've locked a playoff spot.

Anyone buying tickets to see Kawhi play live should steer clear of games on the 2nd night of a back to back or they'll be disappointed.
Deal Addict
Aug 5, 2006
2960 posts
851 upvotes
Global Village
Wow, the Clippers are so dead-set on recruiting Kawhi next summer that they let go their TV analyst for speaking his mind about Kawhi and what he did in SA. Matt, Jack, Leo better watch what they say about Kawhi this season if they want to keep their jobs.

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/2436 ... me-analyst
Deal Addict
Oct 20, 2007
3920 posts
186 upvotes
Mississauga
scoper wrote:
Aug 11th, 2018 11:57 am
Anyone buying tickets to see Kawhi play live should steer clear of games on the 2nd night of a back to back or they'll be disappointed.
It would really suck if Kawhi can't stay healthy and play to his full potential for us, but its still a win either way with Demar and his contract gone.
Toronto sports teams..............forever cursed. Profound sadness. :(
Deal Guru
Jul 16, 2003
10074 posts
382 upvotes
Toronto
lol not sure why you guys care so much about a Xmas game.. plus Spurs are a boring team anyway..

The demar vs. kawhi matchup probably won't be that entertaining....
Follow me on instagram to see Toronto https://instagram.com/kennyk3n/
Banned
Jul 6, 2009
1267 posts
25 upvotes
shaolinmonk wrote:
Aug 14th, 2018 10:45 am
lol not sure why you guys care so much about a Xmas game.. plus Spurs are a boring team anyway..

The demar vs. kawhi matchup probably won't be that entertaining....
It's still a much better game than the Knicks vs Bucks. Knicks are horrible and Bucks are a 'meh' team. They won't go far. Spurs vs Raptors is much more preferable. Two good teams going at it too, aside from all the drama & moves that took place between the 2 teams during this off-season.
Deal Guru
May 9, 2006
10496 posts
1220 upvotes
Needinghelp wrote:
Aug 10th, 2018 6:48 pm

Actually, Toronto played in the 2001 Christmas game. We had Vince Carter at his peak or near peak popularity. He was the face of the NBA, so that's why we got that game.

The thing is they will always market their big markets no matter how bad those teams are. Knicks and Lakers are almost a lock every year. Between Philly, Washington, Boston, and Chicago, it's almost a guarantee that 2 out of those cities play even if all 4 teams suck. Then you get the teams loaded with superstars like GSW, OKC, Houston, whatever team Lebron is on, etc. Then you get whatever top teams are left... if there's any spots.

I guess the NBA big wigs (more like TV networks) wanted to see Giannis more than Kawhi.

That 10:30pm spot really favors west coast teams as it's a small pool of teams that can fit there with GSW and Lakers getting the prime time 8:30pm spot for the foreseeable future, that only leaves the Clippers, Nuggets, Kings, Jazz, Blazers and Suns at 10:30pm. Really... Blazers vs Jazz are the 2 best options in that group.
Deal Fanatic
Apr 11, 2006
5527 posts
1223 upvotes
Mississauga
joeyjoejoe wrote:
Aug 15th, 2018 2:48 pm
Actually, Toronto played in the 2001 Christmas game. We had Vince Carter at his peak or near peak popularity. He was the face of the NBA, so that's why we got that game.

The thing is they will always market their big markets no matter how bad those teams are. Knicks and Lakers are almost a lock every year. Between Philly, Washington, Boston, and Chicago, it's almost a guarantee that 2 out of those cities play even if all 4 teams suck. Then you get the teams loaded with superstars like GSW, OKC, Houston, whatever team Lebron is on, etc. Then you get whatever top teams are left... if there's any spots.

I guess the NBA big wigs (more like TV networks) wanted to see Giannis more than Kawhi.

That 10:30pm spot really favors west coast teams as it's a small pool of teams that can fit there with GSW and Lakers getting the prime time 8:30pm spot for the foreseeable future, that only leaves the Clippers, Nuggets, Kings, Jazz, Blazers and Suns at 10:30pm. Really... Blazers vs Jazz are the 2 best options in that group.
Plus Lillard facing off against Mitchell is exciting.

I wouldn't give Kawhi's uncle 'ish. He can have squat exposure. I fully support the decision for the Raptors to not have a Christmas game. If Kawhi plays a relatively full season at a high level then consider for 2019 (whatever team he's on).
Banned
Jul 6, 2009
1267 posts
25 upvotes
joeyjoejoe wrote:
Aug 15th, 2018 2:48 pm

I thought the big trade and drama between SA/Kawhi and Toronto/DeMar would be reason enough to nationally televise the game...