Sports & Recreation

RFD Raptors Lounge

Deal Guru
Mar 20, 2009
10165 posts
8291 upvotes
Toronto
kenchau wrote: GTJs downfall is all because of the coach.
I just can't see how you expect anyone to take you seriously with this ridiculous fantasy claim.

As it stands, I have it on good authority that if GTJ was played differently, a busload of children would have died in a horrible accident.
As always - sure is fun speaking ridiculous fantasy as truth.

The person most responsible for GTJ's poor play is GTJ.
He pretty much shat the bed all season long.
Naturally, an amazing coach would double/triple his minutes.
Lol.

He was given so many opportunities all season long - especially when Fred was stinking it up.
All he did was prove that minutes given to him were a waste of minutes.
While it is true I did not watch the full season, from what I saw, GTJ was the poster child for missed 3's.
So many rushed lame 3 attempts that killed momentum.

Reality is - there are loads of NBA players who have terrible seasons, regardless of how a coach plays them.

The only thing that is certain is that GTJ had a very poor season.
Without access to specifics (health, personal life, drug habit, training regiment, etc), it's really a guessing game as to why.
Or maybe he did have a beef with Nurse that impacted his play?
While it is possible, declaring it as a certainty is as ridiculous as a busload of children claim.
"When someone is burning a book, they are showing utter contempt for all of the thinking that produced its ideas, all of the labor that went into its words and sentences, and all of the trouble that befell the author . . .” ― Lemony Snicket
Deal Fanatic
Jan 31, 2006
8541 posts
2655 upvotes
Toronto
scoper wrote: GTJ wasn't effective after the Jakob trade when he was benched. But if you had kept him a starter who else would you have benched instead?

I thought the NN decision to take the ball off Pascal's hands during the season was controversial because Pascal was making strides as a floor general and adding assists to his game which would have helped him lock up an All-NBA spot. But it would have come at the expense of Scottie and Fred, it turned out to be a smart decision because Scottie and Fred both improved as playmakers by the end of the season. The strain between Pascal and Nurse though has been there all season imo and that is the main reason he is most likely going to leave with 1 year on his deal and go to Houston.

Side note, Diar DeRozan is getting front page ESPN hero treatment today.

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/361 ... ay-victory

Who else should have been bench? Either Barnes or Siakam. Both of them need isolation to be effective, the lane is always clong when they are together.
Deal Guru
Mar 20, 2009
10165 posts
8291 upvotes
Toronto
cgtlky wrote: Who else should have been bench? Either Barnes or Siakam. Both of them need isolation to be effective, the lane is always clong when they are together.
There simply aren't any successful teams that bench their highest paid player.
If your hope is for the reigning rookie of the year to stick with the North, offering him the bench isn't the way to go.

You are kidding yourself if you believe either would take bench duties with zero qualms.
"When someone is burning a book, they are showing utter contempt for all of the thinking that produced its ideas, all of the labor that went into its words and sentences, and all of the trouble that befell the author . . .” ― Lemony Snicket
Deal Addict
May 10, 2007
3540 posts
3232 upvotes
Etobicoke
Most missed free throws in a playoff like-game since the 69 Lakers.
Deal Guru
Mar 20, 2009
10165 posts
8291 upvotes
Toronto
NoFrillBill wrote: Most missed free throws in a playoff like-game since the 69 Lakers.
It goes without saying, this is the coaches fault. Face With Stuck-out Tongue And Tightly-closed EyesFace With Stuck-out Tongue And Tightly-closed Eyes
He obviously did something.
Damn you Nurse!!!!! :facepalm:
Deal Fanatic
Oct 18, 2014
5298 posts
5181 upvotes
Oakville, ON
The raptors are going to aim to sign Dwight Powell in free agency to appease the Canadiana fanbase… believe Kelly oubre will also be a target…Gary Trent will walk and not be retained… he will sign with the Lakers to complement Lebron in his semi last two years … they should’ve got some assets for him at the trade deadline..
Deal Fanatic
Oct 18, 2014
5298 posts
5181 upvotes
Oakville, ON
They will also overpay for Poetl so the first round lottery pick overpayment doesn’t look as bad for Masai and to appease his buddy Siakim with an extension looming ( which will be a max contract) he is not a max player. In retrospect they will be mediocre next year and regress accordingly for Masai to try to save face. Book it. Rebuild should’ve happen at the trade deadline, even more pressing now, but Masai will try to save face till his exit for over attachment to his players he overvalues.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 18, 2014
5298 posts
5181 upvotes
Oakville, ON
Adem Bona to be their pick 11-13 African/Nigerian to Masai connection unless they’repick falls into top 10 in the draft lottery , to try circumvent the horrible Koloko surprise pick year prior. Let’s see if my predictions come to fruition.
Deal Expert
Dec 26, 2003
16073 posts
910 upvotes
Stouffville
Definitely a bad season for the Raptors. I kept saying they needed to get into the 8th seed as they werent gonna win 2 in a row to make the playoffs. Management decided to give up a 2024 not highly protected first round pick for Poeltl and what happened? We went from 10th to 9th... i guess technically it got u that one revenue game lol

As much as I love Ujiri at times, he has had his ups and downs as the GM here. Some solid draft picks that have developed. It didnt look like it was gonna go that well with drafting Bruno (yes i know, 20th overall) but he did draft OG and Siakam later on so that was pretty good. His big moves were still trades, getting rid of Bargs for a 1st+ and getting Kawhi. But what sucks is that, even with a well known top GM in Masai, we have not been able to sign ANY big free agents in the 10 years that he as been here. U could say maybe it was salary cap issues, etc. But it just seems that ppl do not want to come here.

IMO they shoulda started the REBUILD process at the trade deadline instead of trying to go for it this year because even if you got out of the play-in, the only way u are getting out of the first round is if Giannis or Tatum got injured. This off-season they should keep Barnes and maybe Achiuwa and trade off everyone else. Get a Rudy Gobert'ish package for Siakam (tho not sure ur getting 5 first) and then also a Siakam light package for OG. You could end up with some young players with potential and probably 5 first round picks. Try your best to tell scotty Barnes to trust the process and stay around as these players and picks develop.

Basically lets do what Philly did, except hope to have a little bit better luck / scouting with the picks. Lets look at Philly from 2013 to 2017. Noel 6th, MCW 11th, Embiid 3rd, Okafor 3rd, Simmons 1st, Fultz 1st. Definitely a bunch of misses in there. But man, id be down for a 4-5 year run of the Raptors getting a top 5 pick every year and seeing where it went from there.
Deal Guru
Mar 20, 2009
10165 posts
8291 upvotes
Toronto
grappos13 wrote: Definitely a bad season for the Raptors. I kept saying they needed to get into the 8th seed as they werent gonna win 2 in a row to make the playoffs. Management decided to give up a 2024 not highly protected first round pick for Poeltl and what happened? We went from 10th to 9th... i guess technically it got u that one revenue game lol

As much as I love Ujiri at times, he has had his ups and downs as the GM here. Some solid draft picks that have developed. It didnt look like it was gonna go that well with drafting Bruno (yes i know, 20th overall) but he did draft OG and Siakam later on so that was pretty good. His big moves were still trades, getting rid of Bargs for a 1st+ and getting Kawhi. But what sucks is that, even with a well known top GM in Masai, we have not been able to sign ANY big free agents in the 10 years that he as been here. U could say maybe it was salary cap issues, etc. But it just seems that ppl do not want to come here.

IMO they shoulda started the REBUILD process at the trade deadline instead of trying to go for it this year because even if you got out of the play-in, the only way u are getting out of the first round is if Giannis or Tatum got injured. This off-season they should keep Barnes and maybe Achiuwa and trade off everyone else. Get a Rudy Gobert'ish package for Siakam (tho not sure ur getting 5 first) and then also a Siakam light package for OG. You could end up with some young players with potential and probably 5 first round picks. Try your best to tell scotty Barnes to trust the process and stay around as these players and picks develop.

Basically lets do what Philly did, except hope to have a little bit better luck / scouting with the picks. Lets look at Philly from 2013 to 2017. Noel 6th, MCW 11th, Embiid 3rd, Okafor 3rd, Simmons 1st, Fultz 1st. Definitely a bunch of misses in there. But man, id be down for a 4-5 year run of the Raptors getting a top 5 pick every year and seeing where it went from there.
Masai is not GM.
Deal Guru
Aug 5, 2006
10745 posts
7903 upvotes
Global Village
If you are Pascal and the Raps offer you a max extension this summer do you sign it? I am guessing no, if he was playing in a bigger US market team he would get more US exposure with the numbers he is averaging.
And if he doesn't sign the extension the Raps will have to trade him this summer imo.
All day I dream about sports

Tangerine, Meridian, EQ Bank, Simplii, CIBC Investor's Edge
Deal Guru
Mar 20, 2009
10165 posts
8291 upvotes
Toronto
scoper wrote: If you are Pascal and the Raps offer you a max extension this summer do you sign it? I am guessing no, if he was playing in a bigger US market team he would get more US exposure with the numbers he is averaging.
And if he doesn't sign the extension the Raps will have to trade him this summer imo.
It's hard to say. Pascal doesn't seem like the flashy type who values money over everything else.
I have no doubt he loves dealing with Masai.
I also can't help but suspect that our deadline acquisition was made to curry favour with Pascal.

With this said, I think everything rides on whether he gets All NBA for the season that just ended, which determines whether he gains or loses an extra 100 million for 4 years. It really will depend on who he will blame for this.
Deal Guru
Aug 5, 2006
10745 posts
7903 upvotes
Global Village
shikotee wrote: It's hard to say. Pascal doesn't seem like the flashy type who values money over everything else.
I have no doubt he loves dealing with Masai.
I also can't help but suspect that our deadline acquisition was made to curry favour with Pascal.

With this said, I think everything rides on whether he gets All NBA for the season that just ended, which determines whether he gains or loses an extra 100 million for 4 years. It really will depend on who he will blame for this.
He is not going to get All NBA this season, and that opens the door to other teams saying 'you will never get recognized for how good you are playing in the Siberia of the NBA, if you were playing for us averaging these numbers you would have made All-NBA'
If he goes to another team where he is allowed to be the floor general he could average a triple double next season.
Doesn't help that in the top 15 list of top selling jerseys the Raps are nowhere to be found.

All day I dream about sports

Tangerine, Meridian, EQ Bank, Simplii, CIBC Investor's Edge
Deal Addict
Jan 12, 2017
3685 posts
4751 upvotes
B.C.
scoper wrote: If you are Pascal and the Raps offer you a max extension this summer do you sign it? I am guessing no, if he was playing in a bigger US market team he would get more US exposure with the numbers he is averaging.
I will seriously stop following Raptors if they offer max extension to PS.
we are already over paying for his mediocre talent, just because no-one wants to play here.
I'm ok with losing him for nothing in FA.
Deal Addict
Jan 2, 2007
2614 posts
807 upvotes
Woodbridge
Dreamrider wrote:
No surprise Raptors fans sinking to that level - the same group that cheered when KD blew his achilles.

Raptors deserved to lose that play in. Just go on the Raptors Reddit and see how many are actually blaming Demar’s daughter for the team’s shortcoming and mediocrity this season.
Deal Guru
Apr 11, 2006
12388 posts
6570 upvotes
Vaughan
sg2386 wrote: No surprise Raptors fans sinking to that level - the same group that cheered when KD blew his achilles.

Raptors deserved to lose that play in. Just go on the Raptors Reddit and see how many are actually blaming Demar’s daughter for the team’s shortcoming and mediocrity this season.
Better to blame DeMar's daughter and defend the great Nick Nurse because they still living in 2019.

Bunch of losers.