RFD Raptors Lounge - NBA CHAMPIONS!

Deal Addict
Aug 5, 2004
2602 posts
27 upvotes
Toronto (Pasadena
rdtx2002 wrote:
Jul 11th, 2009 7:48 am
Hedo probably helps us more than Moon and Marion. so we don't necessarily need someone to replace Marion/Moon, we have that. I'd like just to see more depth in the wing position. and seeing that we'll probably get Rasho and Delfino.
I think Moon is good enough for a bench wing. I don't think the people you mentioned can match Moon's defense, so we really won't gain much with them. I like Rasho, but if we're going to splurge we should get a good 4/5.

Good players at the 2/3 are fun to watch, but unless you have someone like LBJ or DW you're not going to make the team better that way. It's more important to get as many points from the inside as we can and defend our opponents from doing so. Bargs doesn't have the high %age finish or the defense yet, but his shooting gives us depth on the wing if he plays there while Hedo is resting.
rdtx2002 wrote:
Jul 11th, 2009 1:14 pm
uh huh.. and why did we have him 5 years 50 million? to ride the bench? sorry.. i just question your logic on this.
Why did the Lakers have Odom come off the bench while earning $14M/yr? Need I remind you that despite coming off the bench he was the second or third most important player on a championship team?

We're not saying Bargs should ride the bench. He should just share the 5 with someone else and spend some time at other positions because he can.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 12, 2003
7793 posts
39 upvotes
Mintmaster wrote:
Jul 11th, 2009 4:00 pm
Why did the Lakers have Odom come off the bench while earning $14M/yr? Need I remind you that despite coming off the bench he was the second or third most important player on a championship team?
now lets not go comparing Lamar Odom to Andrea Bargnani. They play totally different positions.. and it so happens that Lamar's position is more saturated than Bargnani's. Lamar rode on the bench because they had Ariza. Is there someone on the Raptors that plays the 5 that you would start over Bargnani?
We're not saying Bargs should ride the bench. He should just share the 5 with someone else and spend some time at other positions because he can.
and who do you suggest with the MLE that is better than Bargnani? That is the point i'm trying to make here because the other guy suggested that he is NO GOOD at the 5.. and not better than Bosh at the 4 so he should ride shotgun on the bench.

If you have a better 5 on the team, then yeah.. why not? This is where Rasho comes into play. He has the size to match up against the likes of a Dwight Howard.
Deal Addict
Aug 5, 2004
2602 posts
27 upvotes
Toronto (Pasadena
[QUOTE]and who do you suggest with the MLE that is better than Bargnani?[/QUOTE]I think Rasho is better at the 5 (right now) because Bargs' higher point total is offset by his poor FG%. I don't know who's available, but it stands to reason that we can get someone better than Rasho for the MLE if you think he's a LLE player. Bargs can play a little 3 and maybe some 4 when Bosh is resting or playing the 5 in certain situations. He doesn't need to be riding the bench, and it's certainly worthwhile to keep developing his 3-pt shot. San Antonio listed Bonner as a center for many games but they used his lethal three very effectively while having others go inside.

I don't know if Triano is up to the task, but there's a lot of creative stuff you can do with Hedo, Bargs, Bosh, and another 7 footer with decent interior offensive skills.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 12, 2003
7793 posts
39 upvotes
Mintmaster wrote:
Jul 11th, 2009 4:30 pm
I think Rasho is better at the 5 (right now) because Bargs' higher point total is offset by his poor FG%. I don't know who's available, but it stands to reason that we can get someone better than Rasho for the MLE if you think he's a LLE player. Bargs can play a little 3 and maybe some 4 when Bosh is resting or playing the 5 in certain situations. He doesn't need to be riding the bench, and it's certainly worthwhile to keep developing his 3-pt shot. San Antonio listed Bonner as a center for many games but they used his lethal three very effectively while having others go inside.
Point taken.. but i dunno if you take a guy out of his comfort spot at the starting 5

but I digress.. if we do look for a PG with MLE.. I would take either Jarret Jack or Brevin Knight?
Deal Addict
Mar 13, 2005
1315 posts
170 upvotes
Hoopshype report that "Raptors are on the verge of signing Jarret Jack"
Deal Addict
Oct 10, 2008
3153 posts
23 upvotes
I think Bosh and JJ played a season at Georgia Tech? This could be a good signing..but that leaves the Raptors with too many PG's (Banks, Ukic, etc).

Numbers-wise, JJ seems allright...13ppg and 4apg last season, albeit 33 minutes...which should be cut by 1/3 or so, assuming he's going to play 2nd unit PG. Could be good to have him and Jose at the 1-2 to run small...so long as it doesn't turn into the TJ-Jose fiasco - I'm happy :)
Deal Addict
Feb 9, 2006
3870 posts
217 upvotes
Caledon
JJ is a very interesting choice espically with a 4 year contract
Jan 1, 2006
263 posts
20 upvotes
Richmond Hill
Raptors don't want to be caught with their pants down again with Jose hurt/playing hurt most of the year, and giving all those minutes to Ukic and Solomon.
Deal Addict
Jul 19, 2005
3263 posts
31 upvotes
Toronto
Jay Hova wrote:
Jul 11th, 2009 8:47 pm
I think Bosh and JJ played a season at Georgia Tech? This could be a good signing..but that leaves the Raptors with too many PG's (Banks, Ukic, etc).

Numbers-wise, JJ seems allright...13ppg and 4apg last season, albeit 33 minutes...which should be cut by 1/3 or so, assuming he's going to play 2nd unit PG. Could be good to have him and Jose at the 1-2 to run small...so long as it doesn't turn into the TJ-Jose fiasco - I'm happy :)
if JJ does sign here...i hope BC makes sure to tell him, he's the backup PG...
IMO, JJ would accept that better than TJ did...he doesn't have that "ME" attitude that TJ has. Hopefully it'll be short term deal too
Deal Fanatic
Nov 12, 2003
7793 posts
39 upvotes
SoGood wrote:
Jul 11th, 2009 9:50 pm
if JJ does sign here...i hope BC makes sure to tell him, he's the backup PG...
IMO, JJ would accept that better than TJ did...he doesn't have that "ME" attitude that TJ has. Hopefully it'll be short term deal too
Doug Smith says it's a 4 year deal
Deal Expert
Jan 8, 2007
23361 posts
622 upvotes
Toronto
Jay Hova wrote:
Jul 11th, 2009 8:47 pm
BC making connections all of the time. JJ and CB are good friends. I was hoping they would trade for him during the draft and the first couple of years in the league. This would go a long way to re-sign Bosh.

Though Douby has been impressive in summer league. :razz:

Banks and $3 million for anything?

Bring back Mike James!!!! Washington is in the luxury tax.

Toronto trades: Marcus Banks, Patrick O'Bryant (partially guaranteed to be released) and $3 million
Washington trades: Mike James (Bought out)

Washington saves money this year in tax. They are over the cap again next year so they can't make big signings anyways so they have Banks on the roster. Toronto frees up more cap next year.