RFD Raptors Lounge - NBA CHAMPIONS!

Deal Addict
Jul 13, 2014
3554 posts
1032 upvotes
Parry Sound
pintobean wrote:
Mar 2nd, 2015 2:58 pm
It's beginning to look like the Raptors are going to finish in 3rd or 4th this season - Atlanta and Cleveland will finish ahead of us, and then it'll be a toss up between us and the injury-prone Bulls to see who snags 3rd. It also looks like Washington and Milwaukee are going to end up in 5th and 6th, so our Raptors will likely be facing one of them in the first round...

What do you guys think of this? We're 3-0 against Washington this season, and 2-1 against Milwaukee, so we appear to match up well against both teams. Which team would you rather face?
We should have faced Washington in the first round last year. Would have easily made it to round 2 as well.
Deal Addict
Jul 3, 2006
3829 posts
1603 upvotes
Toronto
MayorOfToronto wrote:
Mar 2nd, 2015 3:09 pm
We should have faced Washington in the first round last year. Would have easily made it to round 2 as well.
Really? The Chicago Bulls were a stronger team than the Raptors last year, and they got taken down easily in 5 games by Washington, while we struggled and lost against Brooklyn (and the refs). What makes you think the Raptors could've easily beaten Washington?
Apr 4, 2009
836 posts
161 upvotes
pintobean wrote:
Mar 2nd, 2015 2:58 pm
It's beginning to look like the Raptors are going to finish in 3rd or 4th this season - Atlanta and Cleveland will finish ahead of us, and then it'll be a toss up between us and the injury-prone Bulls to see who snags 3rd. It also looks like Washington and Milwaukee are going to end up in 5th and 6th, so our Raptors will likely be facing one of them in the first round...

What do you guys think of this? We're 3-0 against Washington this season, and 2-1 against Milwaukee, so we appear to match up well against both teams. Which team would you rather face?
I'd rather face the Wizards but I think it'll be closer than how we played them this year. Washington has no floor spacer without Beal and thankfully enough, defending the 3 isn't one of the Raptors strong points

Milwaukee is a strong defensive team. Practically all of their starting 5 have huge wingspans which gives Demar alot of trouble. Yeah we murdered them the first time, but the last two games they played us really tough on the defensive end.

Then again, the book is out on the Raptors ISO centric offense anyway
Deal Addict
Oct 20, 2007
4140 posts
373 upvotes
Mississauga
SoGood wrote:
Feb 28th, 2015 1:42 pm
lol. i will make fun of the leafs regardless of what happens with the Raptors.
Raps will turn it around.

and i like the fact that you're bashing the raps & using "we" ... but isn't that a bit condescending?
Tell me how the hell the Raps are going to turn it around when Casey continues to let our guards and especially Derozan to chuck it up as often as they want without any reprecussions for constantly taking bad shots? Yet in tonight's game JV in 23 minutes HAS TAKEN ONLY TWO SHOTS!! That's right. 23 mins played JV is allowed two shots and efffing Casey does NOTHING to change this. This team is HOPELESS as long as Casey is our coach and Derozan is our main offensive weapon.

I don't even care if the Raps win or lose anymore, I'm just sick and tired that they've gone away from what worked in the beginning for the team, namely spreading the ball around and using our bigs more. I can't imagine if JV took as many bad shots as Derozan has that Casey would ever let him get off the bench ever again. I'm just DISGUSTED by Casey and I want him gone ASAP.

And while I am a huge Raps fan I will criticize them as long as they deserve it just like I do with the Leafs so no its not condescending.
Not all Toronto sports teams are cursed!! Toronto Raptors 2019 NBA Champs! :D
Deal Addict
Oct 20, 2007
4140 posts
373 upvotes
Mississauga
Raps are such a sad team right now. They beat the lowly 76ers and Casey will think the team is doing fine, but he won't do anything to correct the huge issues that we have now. Namely how the HELL can Ross take 10 shots in the game and JV, Amir and JJ ALL COMBINE to take 10 shots TOTAL?? > :( :evil:

How the HELL does JV not play much again in the 4th and only gets TWO SHOTS the entire game??!?!?! > :( After Demar got 35pts on 50% shooting tonight I'm sure Casey will continue to allow him to keep chucking it up without penalizing him while JV will continue to get the short end of the stick and not get more playing time to develope and grow. :(
Not all Toronto sports teams are cursed!! Toronto Raptors 2019 NBA Champs! :D
Deal Guru
Mar 1, 2008
12831 posts
2287 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
MaximDude wrote:
Mar 2nd, 2015 8:55 pm
Tell me how the hell the Raps are going to turn it around when Casey continues to let our guards and especially Derozan to chuck it up as often as they want without any reprecussions for constantly taking bad shots? Yet in tonight's game JV in 23 minutes HAS TAKEN ONLY TWO SHOTS!! That's right. 23 mins played JV is allowed two shots and efffing Casey does NOTHING to change this. This team is HOPELESS as long as Casey is our coach and Derozan is our main offensive weapon.

I don't even care if the Raps win or lose anymore, I'm just sick and tired that they've gone away from what worked in the beginning for the team, namely spreading the ball around and using our bigs more. I can't imagine if JV took as many bad shots as Derozan has that Casey would ever let him get off the bench ever again. I'm just DISGUSTED by Casey and I want him gone ASAP.
Sadly not a lot of people recognize that. Our offense revolves solely on how well our guards play. Are we still leaders in points in the paint?
Deal Fanatic
Apr 11, 2006
6400 posts
1896 upvotes
Mississauga
MaximDude wrote:
Mar 2nd, 2015 9:27 pm
Raps are such a sad team right now. They beat the lowly 76ers and Casey will think the team is doing fine, but he won't do anything to correct the huge issues that we have now. Namely how the HELL can Ross take 10 shots in the game and JV, Amir and JJ ALL COMBINE to take 10 shots TOTAL?? > :( :evil:

How the HELL does JV not play much again in the 4th and only gets TWO SHOTS the entire game??!?!?! > :( After Demar got 35pts on 50% shooting tonight I'm sure Casey will continue to allow him to keep chucking it up without penalizing him while JV will continue to get the short end of the stick and not get more playing time to develope and grow. :(
Nevermind that. How did the Raptors allow a "college" team to score 103 points, shoot a better FG % and same 3PT FG %. No defense!!! The wins also mask the lack of defense.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 14, 2006
8005 posts
825 upvotes
kenchau wrote:
Mar 2nd, 2015 11:58 pm
Nevermind that. How did the Raptors allow a "college" team to score 103 points, shoot a better FG % and same 3PT FG %. No defense!!! The wins also mask the lack of defense.
Let's not look at it that way. Golden state almost lost to the Celtics and was down big throughout the game.

I know the Celtics are not as bad as the 76ers but golden state is a much better team than the raps so it's a similar comparison.

The most important thing is that DD got his rhythm back as well as they're back in the win column. Let's see what happens in the next few games.
TEAM CANADA!!!!!!!!!!!
Aug 1, 2008
88 posts
12 upvotes
Toronto
MaximDude wrote:
Mar 2nd, 2015 9:27 pm

Our 22 year old talented C is being wasted by Casey, send him to a proper coach like Gregg Popovich.
Deal Addict
Jan 16, 2007
1039 posts
48 upvotes
Scarborough
I see lots of potential at JV but have you seen the guy's post game? Sure he is effective in the beginning of the game where the post D is weaker but that one pump fake and back down fake nobody except fro Andre Drummond for some dumb reason.

Not excusing Demar's poor shooting decisions but if you put Jonas here and pass the ball to him more you are all going to sit here complaining how Casey is letting a clumsy big with limited post moves get so many shots.

There is no quick fix. To be a consistent contender, Jonas needs to develop, we need another solid Wing, a backup C and a starting level PF to share Amir minutes. He can't do these minutes on his ankles, healthy he is a beast and difficult for other teams.

For Raptors to finish strong and hopefully get off the second round to take it to Cleveland or Atlanta to a game 6 or 7,

1) go back to ball sharing
2) bench players need to produce (no more Vasquez casual walk up 3 thats not what he is here for)
3) Demar to stop taking Kobe-esque fades

Below are nice to have but probably wont happen

1) Jonas to develop more than one move in the post and better basketball IQ. He defends the pick and roll HORRIBLY. Other he over steps or leave too much room for the guard to stop and pop or float one up.

2) Ross to at least go back to mid 2013 level of productivity

There is no easy fix. Our team is simply not as good as our record suggest.
ebay acct: yes, Im a redflagnoob
Deal Addict
Sep 20, 2014
1194 posts
340 upvotes
Mississauga, ON
I wonder what happened, my expectations were that the team is a 0.700 level team e.g. 55+ wins. And there was no reason why not, as far as I know the 365 days (or was it 82 games) since Gay was traded - the Raptors played at a 0.700 level.
Now, they're playing 0.400-0.500 for the past few months and will finish the season around 0.600 - which is marginally better than last year.
I am starting doubt Masai - he keeps talking about developing talent and what-not...but you had a 0.700 team and you did absolutely nothing this season to make the team better...if anything you made the team regress by not upgrading the PF spot! If he want to build, well then you're building with Ross and JV - Lowry and DeRozan are in their prime so I don't think they're in a rebuilding state of mind right now.

Oh well, I think the Raps are content with things the way they are simply because of tickets and merchandise sales - the winning mantra has died quite a bit.
Deal Addict
Jul 13, 2014
3554 posts
1032 upvotes
Parry Sound
2009M5 wrote:
Mar 3rd, 2015 10:17 am
I wonder what happened, my expectations were that the team is a 0.700 level team e.g. 55+ wins. And there was no reason why not, as far as I know the 365 days (or was it 82 games) since Gay was traded - the Raptors played at a 0.700 level.
Now, they're playing 0.400-0.500 for the past few months and will finish the season around 0.600 - which is marginally better than last year.
I am starting doubt Masai - he keeps talking about developing talent and what-not...but you had a 0.700 team and you did absolutely nothing this season to make the team better...if anything you made the team regress by not upgrading the PF spot! If he want to build, well then you're building with Ross and JV - Lowry and DeRozan are in their prime so I don't think they're in a rebuilding state of mind right now.

Oh well, I think the Raps are content with things the way they are simply because of tickets and merchandise sales - the winning mantra has died quite a bit.
I don't blame Masai. I blame Casey. He lets his pride and ego get in the way of his coaching.
I also blame DeRozan who is trying to be Kobe and not pass the ball. He might be an all star but he's not a super star. He can't do it on his own. Neither can Lowry.
Our team chemistry has been terrible.

I think Masai is only hyping up Ross to up his trade value. I'm almost certain he will be gone this summer. Good riddance. I was never a fan of Ross.
Jun 17, 2010
334 posts
102 upvotes
With the raps losing just a few games, I see a lot of 'fans' jumping off the bandwagon..
Deal Fanatic
Apr 11, 2006
6400 posts
1896 upvotes
Mississauga
bobbings wrote:
Mar 3rd, 2015 7:37 am
Let's not look at it that way. Golden state almost lost to the Celtics and was down big throughout the game.

I know the Celtics are not as bad as the 76ers but golden state is a much better team than the raps so it's a similar comparison.

The most important thing is that DD got his rhythm back as well as they're back in the win column. Let's see what happens in the next few games.
Wins are no excuse to critique the shortcomings of the team. Golden State is better, but it doesn't matter what record they finish with, they are not going far in the playoffs. They don't have much if the 3's aren't falling...no different than the Raptors. They are better than the Raptors because they are a better shooting team and they at least slash inside more. But you need bigs and an inside presence and (at least some) defence to win championships. Golden State lost to the Nets because Brook Lopez ate them up inside - they couldn't stop him, nor a streaky Jarret Jack.
Deal Addict
Dec 12, 2006
1573 posts
108 upvotes
Toronto
jungle88 wrote:
Mar 3rd, 2015 11:41 am
With the raps losing just a few games, I see a lot of 'fans' jumping off the bandwagon..
There are a crazy amount of those in Toronto. I go to Spurs games every year because I love watching good basketball. I consider people who went to those games before the Raps started playing better, real basketball fans. And let me tell you, the attendance was awful. I went this year, and the place was packed. Also, the tickets were 3 times more expensive.

Truth is, some people just want to associate themselves with winning. Fans are the ones who stick it out through the *****ty years and deserve to be rewarded with seasons like this (up until the schedule got tougher). Coming from a Cavs fan who has watched a team starring Baron Davis (with a draft pick which thankfully got us Kyrie), Jamario Moon, Ramon Sessions, Mo Williams, Jawad 'Hotwad' Williams, Ryan Hollins, JJ Hickson, Anthony Parker, Daniel Gibson, ect at some point in the season.... The Raptors had a super easy schedule early on in the season, but also beat some very tough teams. Once the SOS (strength of schedule) caught up with them (back to backs, +.500 teams, ect) they started slumping. Early on in the season, they were at the top in terms of ease of schedule. As were the Hawks. Now they're around the middle of the pack. They also had injuries, but most teams have had injuries this season. Especially in the east. The Hawks keep getting lucky because they have had a very spread out schedule, or back to backs with below .500 teams, against teams with injuries (or suspensions ala James Harden tonight).

The likely hood is the team will be 3rd and face Milwaukee. Chicago will be either 4th or 5th, regardless facing Washington. Cavs are going to have a tough time with either Miami, Brooklyn or a surging Indiana team who may have Paul George back for the first round, if not a little earlier.

Thread Information

There are currently 3 users viewing this thread. (2 members and 1 guest)

nasa25, nishant1