Sports & Recreation

RFD Raptors Lounge

Deal Expert
Sep 21, 2010
15185 posts
4647 upvotes
Montréal
kenchau wrote: Me thinks, more drastic measures need to be taken. Must start adding people who quote or @ airhead, onto the Ignore list as well (even if temporarily until after the Raptors win the Championship).

To knowingly feed the troll, is worse than being the troll.
I don't mind if they insist interacting w airhead via @ as it's not a dictatorship and then can have their private fun, but to keep quoting is just annoying when the majority of ppl already voiced their displeasure seeing that guy's comments.
Hard work, inheritance, interest on interest accumulating, and stock and real estate speculation. It's all good.
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2004
52937 posts
18144 upvotes
ONTARIO
RiftOfChaos wrote: What is wrong with being the center of the universe?

Would you rather have some city in Murica! take that title?
I’m trying to be polite and moddest.
I’m from the center of the universe and i think its the greatest and the best!
And i take it a step further being in the center of the center of the universe. Not scarborough. Not north york. Not etobicoke.
But Toronto!

J/k i’ll stop.
Go raptors go!
Deal Fanatic
Aug 24, 2011
5776 posts
3926 upvotes
Toronto and London
UrbanPoet wrote: I’m trying to be polite and moddest.
I’m from the center of the universe and i think its the greatest and the best!
And i take it a step further being in the center of the center of the universe. Not scarborough. Not north york. Not etobicoke.
But Toronto!

J/k i’ll stop.
Go raptors go!
I thought the 6 = Toronto!?!

Anyways I am soaking in all the attention we are getting. Our fans (even bandwagoners) deserve it!
Banned
Apr 24, 2018
738 posts
38 upvotes
bdckr wrote: Such a short sentence, yet so much wrong.

1) Leonard didn't get "all the credit". In fact, if you look at most of what's being said in news media and online, people are giving a lot of credit to Siakam, Gasol, VanVleet and Green.
2) Kawhi is getting credit for being so good defensively in game 1, and you're citing an offensive stat (shooting percentage) because ... ?
3) And even then, shooting percentage taken in isolation can be a misleading stat. And in this case, it is misleading. What's missing is that 23 points on only 14 shots taken is pretty efficient.

Sure, 37% is a low percentage. But what many people miss is that if actual fouls do not get called, the shooter's percentage drops. That has nothing to do with the players, and everything to do with the refs missing calls.

Shooter takes a shot, gets fouled, misses the shot, but foul gets called? That shot doesn't count as a take or a miss. Shooting percentage isn't affected.
Shooter takes a shot, gets fouled, misses the shot, but foul doesn't get called? That counts as a missed shot, and the shooting percentage drops.

Kawhi takes a lot of contact that doesn't get called as fouls. Probably because he rarely complains, doesn't embellish (looking at you, Harden), and he's strong enough that he plays through contact.

You need to start thinking for yourself and not letting uninformed pundits tell you what to think.

If someone shot 37% on 14 shots, even if all made shots were 3s, you're only looking at 15 points.
Shooting 37% on 14 shots and scoring 23 points? I'd take that every night. Now think of the series where he was averaging 65% shooting, and the refs were still missing fouls against him, and you get a real sense of why Kawhi gets as much credit and attention as he does.
You're right, Kawhi got bailed out by the refs (ala Harden) and went to the line 6 times. Without those, he would have ended up with 13 points.
Deal Addict
May 17, 2004
1284 posts
795 upvotes
Markham
airpods wrote: You're right, Kawhi got bailed out by the refs (ala Harden) and went to the line 6 times. Without those, he would have ended up with 13 points.
Can't say I'm surprised that you're reading it so wrong.
Harden gets more calls because he embellishes. Kawhi gets fewer calls than he should because he doesn't flop.
Kawhi went to the line 12 times, and he should have gone more. If he were willing to exaggerate, he could (should) have gotten 3 or 4 more calls on his "misses". That means going to the line 6 to 8 more times, and his shooting percentage would have been 45-50%.
Deal Guru
Apr 11, 2006
12390 posts
6570 upvotes
Vaughan
bdckr wrote: A blanket "don't feed the trolls" policy is flawed and doesn't work. My responses aren't so much for airpods, but more for anyone reading his posts that might be swayed. A lot of the posts are bad enough on their face that nothing needs to be said. But sometimes it's worth responding if a bad faith argument has an appearance of being reasonable, if only to point that out.
Nobody is reading his posts because we have him on ignore. However, the less than a handful that continue to quote him (yourself included, and a second time above now), is what makes his posts re-appear...unfortunately.
Last edited by kenchau on May 31st, 2019 3:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Guru
Aug 5, 2006
10746 posts
7905 upvotes
Global Village
kenchau wrote: Nobody is reading his posts because we have him on ignore. However, the less than a handful that continue to quote him (yourself include, and a second time above now), is what makes his posts re-appear...unfortunately.
How do you put someone on ignore?
All day I dream about sports

Tangerine, Meridian, EQ Bank, Simplii, CIBC Investor's Edge
Deal Guru
Apr 11, 2006
12390 posts
6570 upvotes
Vaughan
scoper wrote: How do you put someone on ignore?
Don't know off hand from mobile, but from desktop version, click on their name and there is an ignore option below their profile on the left hand side of the screen. Likely a similar process on the mobile site. Just added bdckr to the ignore list by association, because he stubbornly chooses to continue quoting airhead. Thread is now so much cleaner now. :)
Deal Addict
May 17, 2004
1284 posts
795 upvotes
Markham
kenchau wrote: Nobody is reading his posts because we have him on ignore. However, the less than a handful that continue to quote him (yourself included, and a second time above now), is what makes his posts re-appear...unfortunately.
Since I'm on your ignore list now, you probably won't see this. But you're wrong about everyone having him on ignore. There are a small number of regulars who have him on ignore, but lots more who regularly see his posts, or don't (didn't) know how to ignore someone.

Besides which, as mentioned before, a blanket "don't feed the trolls" policy is flawed. But do what you gotta do.
Deal Expert
Sep 21, 2010
15185 posts
4647 upvotes
Montréal
kenchau wrote:
Nobody is reading his posts because we have him on ignore. However, the less than a handful that continue to quote him (yourself included, and a second time above now), is what makes his posts re-appear...unfortunately.
kenchau wrote:
Don't know off hand from mobile, but from desktop version, click on their name and there is an ignore option below their profile on the left hand side of the screen. Likely a similar process on the mobile site. Just added bdckr to the ignore list by association, because he stubbornly chooses to continue quoting airhead. Thread is now so much cleaner now. :)
You tell'em, KC!! LOL.

I dunno what that guy's talking about, 'for the benefit of other posters...' LMAO. Virtually nobody wants to read airhead's jibberish. I'm pretty tolerant and have been a relative newbie itt so it's funny even I had enough and put him on ignore! The amount of nonsense and foaming hate from that guy is just unbearable. It's like he has a heavy short position on MLSE or something, he's really off his rocker.
Hard work, inheritance, interest on interest accumulating, and stock and real estate speculation. It's all good.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 31, 2017
5182 posts
3058 upvotes
tranquility922 wrote: You tell'em, KC!! LOL.

I dunno what that guy's talking about, 'for the benefit of other posters...' LMAO. Virtually nobody wants to read airhead's jibberish. I'm pretty tolerant and have been a relative newbie itt so it's funny even I had enough and put him on ignore! The amount of nonsense and foaming hate from that guy is just unbearable. It's like he has a heavy short position on MLSE or something, he's really off his rocker.
stock and real estate speculation!

I finally get it now lol
Deal Expert
Sep 21, 2010
15185 posts
4647 upvotes
Montréal
Dreamrider wrote: does NB not want to sell any of their products over there?
Looking at this, no lol

Does Kawhi have crib notes during interviews? that's funny.

Damn, just found out FVV lost his dad to murder too, what's going on?
Deal Guru
Apr 11, 2006
12390 posts
6570 upvotes
Vaughan
tranquility922 wrote: Looking at this, no lol

Does Kawhi have crib notes during interviews? that's funny.

Damn, just found out FVV lost his dad to murder too, what's going on?
I really don't think all of California is rooting for Golden State. They have four NBA teams - Sacramento, Lakers, and Clippers being the other three (hope I didn't miss anyone) - I would find it hard to believe their fans are rooting for Golden State.
Jun 9, 2015
891 posts
974 upvotes
Toronto, ON
UrbanPoet wrote: Sorry to sound doichey. But there is some truth...
But this is the first time the center of the universe made the championship of a major sports league.

It is what it is...
I'm from Toronto and fully aware of that mentality. It's just dumb. Calling it Canada's first final is either stupid or just ignorant and not knowledgable.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 17, 2002
7777 posts
948 upvotes
Toronto
kenchau wrote: I really don't think all of California is rooting for Golden State. They have four NBA teams - Sacramento, Lakers, and Clippers being the other three (hope I didn't miss anyone) - I would find it hard to believe their fans are rooting for Golden State.
Just those that were actively rooting for one or the other team on twitter.. so it makes sense that pretty much only GS fans would be tweeting in Cali.
Deal Addict
Jul 2, 2007
2005 posts
691 upvotes
GTA
witenite wrote: Very curious how all the new resellers did last night. Grabbing 300s and spamming all over kijiji, Facebook marketplace and rfd. An hour before game time, i Could've sworn saw 300s on StubHub going for lower than face even when converting back to Canadian dollars.
icecoal wrote: anyone who had tix to game 1 last night see anything special or cool for fans at the arena? probably gonna arrive an hour before tip for game 2 and see if I can run into any old players or something
There were two seats beside us last night that were empty the whole night. What a friggin shame man. This was in the 300's. Free shirt was gone by end of 1Q lol (not me).

Before the game, we didn't really see anything out of the ordinary other than the building just being really hype. I've been fortunate to go to a couple of games this playoffs and obviously during the regular season as well and for those games I didn't feel compelled to enjoy the arena atmosphere as much (draught deck, just walking around, etc) so I would usually go to my seat and watch shootaround, etc. Last night, I barely made it in for the anthems because I was having too good of a time outside taking in all the hype. Also, felt like I had to do my duty by chirping all the GS fans that showed up.

If you can be downtown earlier, I'd suggest strolling around outside the arena (near JP), maybe getting a few drinks in at the bars south of the arena and then getting in and just walking around. Get in your seat for the anthems, sing your heart out and get loud for the game!
Deal Guru
Aug 5, 2006
10746 posts
7905 upvotes
Global Village
This would make some sense, Thorpe has an excellent relationship with Masai and a 1+1-year deal with a player option in the 2nd year would ensure Kawhi can play 1 more year with Kyle, Marc, Fred, Serge with good prospects of getting to the finals again.

All day I dream about sports

Tangerine, Meridian, EQ Bank, Simplii, CIBC Investor's Edge
Deal Addict
Jan 12, 2017
3686 posts
4751 upvotes
B.C.
scoper wrote: This would make some sense, Thorpe has an excellent relationship with Masai and a 1+1-year deal with a player option in the 2nd year would ensure Kawhi can play 1 more year with Kyle, Marc, Fred, Serge with good prospects of getting to the finals again.

I don't know.... even with load management all year long, he's leg is still not 100%....
plus year older... but still even with only one leg, he's still best player in the league! LOL

Thread Information

There are currently 2 users viewing this thread. (0 members and 2 guests)