RFD Raptors Lounge - NBA CHAMPIONS!

Deal Expert
Oct 28, 2004
20429 posts
1919 upvotes
Toronto
sf1 wrote:
Apr 21st, 2017 7:34 am
It's crazy that Powell is not getting the minutes he deserves. The man scored 12 in 14 minutes in this game. 5 points in 5 minutes in game 1, much more effective scorer than Carroll and Cory imo.
+2 on this....if someone isn't playing well, the coach needs to have the guts to pull the person and go with whoever is playing well...

Powell is a good example....wright to a certain extent....
Deal Fanatic
May 11, 2008
9421 posts
450 upvotes
ji2o0k wrote:
Apr 21st, 2017 6:45 am
Casey was never a good coach, only thing good is that he is chummy chummy with the players and Masai....

Clearly he can't make in game adjustments...or even have the guts to mix it up and try different lineups to counter the opposition (lineups that make sense!)....and his timeout plays are terribad.....

Bucks are a good team...well coached, good length and athleticism and mix of young and veteran players...

Hopefully if this is a first round exit for the Raps, it is a wakeup call for Masai to leave chumminess aside and get a real coach!
And the Bucks play hard. Do you notice their defensive rotations compared to the Raps. Raps D gets lost in a simple pick.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 15, 2004
6338 posts
825 upvotes
rems wrote:
Apr 21st, 2017 9:00 am
And the Bucks play hard. Do you notice their defensive rotations compared to the Raps. Raps D gets lost in a simple pick.
I only watched the first half and I saw Monroe dominated the paint. The Raps lack of toughness is shown they just can not allow a big to get that deep in the paint and do whatever they want.
Deal Addict
Jun 2, 2012
1203 posts
424 upvotes
GTA
I hope he gets to start EVERYGAME next season.. I don't care if we lose.. We have a real all star in the making..
The moment he comes out he gives it 110%, you can see it in his eyes

Deal Fanatic
Dec 15, 2004
6338 posts
825 upvotes
So quick and explosive, and nice footwork. That move right there only Wade and a few can do in the entire league. Only Casey would leave a talent like that on the bench. He did that to James Johnson now he's doing it to Powell.

#freeNormanPowell

GSpeed wrote:
Apr 21st, 2017 10:31 am
I hope he gets to start EVERYGAME next season.. I don't care if we lose.. We have a real all star in the making..
The moment he comes out he gives it 110%, you can see it in his eyes

Deal Fanatic
Apr 11, 2006
6962 posts
2166 upvotes
Mississauga
sf1 wrote:
Apr 21st, 2017 10:57 am
So quick and explosive, and nice footwork. That move right there only Wade and a few can do in the entire league. Only Casey would leave a talent like that on the bench. He did that to James Johnson now he's doing it to Powell.

#freeNormanPowell
Let's be fair, James Johnson had weight issues (I'm on the #FreeJamesJohnson train). When Miami signed him, Pat Riley straight up said, if you want to play, keep the weight in control and you'll play, otherwise you're gone. That's why we get to see a free James Johnson in Miami.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 15, 2004
6338 posts
825 upvotes
kenchau wrote:
Apr 21st, 2017 11:36 am
Let's be fair, James Johnson had weight issues (I'm on the #FreeJamesJohnson train). When Miami signed him, Pat Riley straight up said, if you want to play, keep the weight in control and you'll play, otherwise you're gone. That's why we get to see a free James Johnson in Miami.
I have read that it was the coach who wanted him to bulk up in Toronto so that he can play the four.
Source (search for keyword bulk): http://www.raptorsrepublic.com/2016/12/ ... g-freedom/

But James Johnson's natural position is a point forward and that's where he actually shines and creates match up problems for the opposing team. Miami realized that so they have him trimmed the extra weight. JJ is a hard worker and stayed in the gym even when he was getting no minute I doubt that it was laziness that caused him to gain weight. I feel that it was the coach who screwed him over. But you also have to know that Miami has one of the the best team of trainers in the league all of their players go through the fit program including the ex-Heat D.Wade.
Deal Fanatic
Apr 11, 2006
6962 posts
2166 upvotes
Mississauga
sf1 wrote:
Apr 21st, 2017 11:43 am
I heard that it was the coaching staffs who requested him to bulk up in Toronto so that he can play the four.
Source: http://www.raptorsrepublic.com/2016/12/ ... g-freedom/

But James Johnson natural position is a point forward and that's where he actually shines and creates match up problem for the opposing team. Miami realized that so they have him trimmed the extra weight. JJ is a hard worker and stayed in the gym even when he was getting no minute I doubt that it was laziness that caused him to gain weight. I feel that it was the coach who screwed him over. But you also have to know that Miami has one of the the best team of trainers in the league all of their players go through the fit program including the ex-Heat D.Wade.
Bulking up is one thing, but towards the final quarter of last season, when you saw him on the floor, he was clearly "fat" relative to himself. He was not "bulked up". Recall early in 2016, he was in a walking boot at one point with an injury. Things went downhill after that.

Anyways, it's neither here nor there. They've whipped him into shape and he's in a great situation - so that's good for him.
Deal Addict
Aug 5, 2006
4121 posts
1502 upvotes
Global Village
sf1 wrote:
Apr 21st, 2017 11:43 am
I have read that it was the coach who qanted him to bulk up in Toronto so that he can play the four.
Source (search for keyword bulk): http://www.raptorsrepublic.com/2016/12/ ... g-freedom/

But James Johnson's natural position is a point forward and that's where he actually shines and creates lots of match up problem for the opposing team. Miami realized that so they have him trimmed the extra weight. JJ is a hard worker and stayed in the gym even when he was getting no minute I doubt that it was laziness that caused him to gain weight. I feel that it was the coach who screwed him over. But you also have to know that Miami has one of the the best team of trainers in the league all of their players go through the fit program including the ex-Heat D.Wade.
James Johnson often forces the issue on offence, he will reward you on D only IF you let him do his thing offensively which (against good D) is often repeated ill-advised shots when there are better offensive options available. I can see his point, if I am going to bust my butt playing D and be your best defender I demand I get the shots I want but the odds are against that working often enough. Miami has been willing to take the bad offence to get the good D, we were not. I watched 1 of their key final games, despite bad shot after bad shot Spoelstra would not yank him from the game, he almost cost them the win and entry into the playoffs, without his D they would not be that close to getting in as they were though. Not too many other teams are willing to swallow that if they have better options on the floor. It explains why he made only 4 mill last season when he should be making over 10 mill. It will be interesting to see what kind of contract offers he gets this summer.
All day I dream about sports
Oct 26, 2016
508 posts
124 upvotes
Toronto
Powell should be playing more minutes. He is so explosive and gives all his effort. The guy should just demand in front of the media to get more minutes.
Deal Addict
Jul 29, 2008
1404 posts
187 upvotes
Toronto
I dont understand why Casey keeps trotting out the corpse of Carroll out there...he cant hit a shot, he's a step slow on defence so what good is he really? JYD 2.0 my ass.
Deal Fanatic
Apr 11, 2006
6962 posts
2166 upvotes
Mississauga
rems wrote:
Apr 21st, 2017 1:24 pm
https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/th ... :nba:index

Fast breaks have been killing the Raps. Both Demar and Lowry made the list unfortunately.
But you need to complain every now and then and let it be known to the refs. That's partly why DeMar and Lowry are both in the upper echelon for FT attempts (per game basis, because of injuries to both this season). But someone like JV who gets his fair share of hacks down under, rarely gets calls because he rarely complains, if at all.
Deal Addict
Jul 23, 2013
3005 posts
1025 upvotes
Tuktoyaktuk
Fabfive wrote:
Apr 21st, 2017 2:58 pm
I dont understand why Casey keeps trotting out the corpse of Carroll out there...he cant hit a shot, he's a step slow on defence so what good is he really? JYD 2.0 my ass.
This question has been in the forefront for a couple of months. How we ever got three games into the first round without dealing with this issue is baffling. This guy ain't no junkyard dog, he's a poodle. He plays like a guy who wishes he was somewhere else. Hopefully he can be accommodated in that regard soon.

Deal Fanatic
Apr 8, 2013
9284 posts
537 upvotes
Fabfive wrote:
Apr 21st, 2017 2:58 pm
I have been calling out that trash from the beginning. If Casey doesnt make this adjustment, this could be the last year for him. Whats crazy is that he has so many options but he is so stubborn. He wants it to work his way.

He is the weakest link here and he has pretty much infected everybody. Play powell, wright and pp more. Bench carroll and have an actual game plan. If he has to bench lowry, bench him. Clearly he is not the same lowry as last year.

Its not like they are facing the goddamn warriors. At the end of the day, if they cant get over the bucks. Its all on Casey. He has the players to beat them.
TORONTO RAPTORS IS THE 2019 NBA CHAMPIONS

Thread Information

There are currently 4 users viewing this thread. (0 members and 4 guests)